Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

And then he would call a run play in that situation.

absolutely the right call during the Smash is on steroids arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Chip Brown reporting Strong will be dismissed tomorrow.

Saban to UT? :allears:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I'll volunteer to be Texas's coach. I only require $1m in annual salary.

Notable accomplishments:

-1 year as an OC at Idaho (10-2), #1 offense in NCAA
-4 years as HC at North Texas, 3 national titles & 1 BCS Bowl victory
-30 years as HC at Miami (FL), 30 national titles, 17 Heisman winners
-JD from University of Houston (TOM HERMAN COACHING TREE??)

Any moron can win a national title at the unstoppable machine that is Video Game North Texas

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

has UT looked into the following coaches:

-Jon Gruden
-Bill Cowher

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
has UT looked into the following coaches:

-Mark Mangino

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I think we know a candidate who can Make Texas Great Again

He was, after all, former HCIW

He knows a killer OC too:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

texas should just hire some goony coordinator to coach everything and then just have the guy who played the coach in friday night lights be the figurehead who gladhands the boosters and goes out in front of the media.

AUSTIN-- Texas Coach to reporters: "I 'preciate that"

So rehire Mack Brown?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Chip Brown reporting Strong will be dismissed tomorrow.

Saban to UT? :allears:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MourningView posted:

Any moron can win a national title at the unstoppable machine that is Video Game North Texas

I never figured out why that was a thing and I miss the chance to see them hoist the ship in 4K.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Thermos H Christ posted:

I've been busy doing dope poo poo and not watching football, but I just checked in on the game via mobile app and when I saw TCU was kicking our rear end all I felt was relief that the situation wouldn't become any messier. Strong is out and there is no room for anyone to question it. Three losing seasons in a row. Worst win percentage in Texas history. There must easily be 10 coaches I'd take over him at this point, and that number would doubtless be higher if I was familiar with more coaches' bodies of work.

I'll be rooting for Strong at his next stop.

We have one T. Graham we can offer you.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Speaking of which, is Todd Graham's seat getting any warmer? I know ASU had a billion injuries, but going from 5-1 to losing out and getting shitkicked by a bad Arizona team (missing a bowl in the process) can't have done much for his clout.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The 5-1 was a bit of a mirage because they had the easiest schedule in d-1 college football through like four weeks.

I've never been a huge fan of Graham but are they gonna get an upgrade if they fire him?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Sounds like UT and LSU are in all-out bidding war for Tom Herman this morning.

LSU has a press conference at 1 today, which I'm guessing means Herman has til noon to sign there or LSU goes with Orgeron.

I still say Herman goes to UT as soon as they can clean the head coach office and fax a contract back and forth.

Meanwhile, a name that has come up in Houston is Pat Narduzzi at Pitt.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/38godfrey/status/802507902565122048

Being reported now that LSU is going with DA COACH O. Like I said, I wouldn't do that if I were them, but I hope he can find a great OC and make it work. It'd be nice to finally have someone challenge Bama again and you know he's gonna recruit his rear end off.

This means Herman to texas is probably all but a done deal too

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
OHHHHHH DACOACHO!!!!

Edit: Wow, *could* Western Michigan actually manage to cling to Fleck for one more year? I mean, what other high profile jobs could come open? Oregon? Texas A&M? *Purdue*?!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/status/802509282499559425

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I think Orgeron deserves a second chance as an HC and by all accounts he's learned a lot from his mistakes at Ole Miss, but LSU? Well, best of luck DACOACHO!

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Da Coach Owns

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

LSU plans on going after Kiffin hard for OC

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/status/802511062637707264

Uh, I don't think that's gonna happen, Ed...

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
goddamn he actually did it

it's probably really good for him that they set a scoring record the last game. Thanks Sumlin!

Also: You can have Jose Aquafresco over my dead body. But then we do have Sark just for this kind of scenario.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Ok then. All in for coach O.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
They shouldn't go after Lane Kiffin. He's been extremely good but it's silly to try and get into a bidding war with Alabama, and besides, there's a lot of good options out there.

They should go after someone like Sonny Cumbie, or snap up Sterlin Gilbert once Texas cleans house. Major Applewhite might be a good fit. Or whoever the gently caress is running Washington's offense, but chances are it's Chris Petersen so...

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just don't see Kiffin taking another OC job. There has to be some smaller school willing to give him another shot as a head coach.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

:vince:

They did it, they actually did it.

Good for Dacoacho.

So, Herman at Texas I guess?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

They shouldn't go after Lane Kiffin. He's been extremely good but it's silly to try and get into a bidding war with Alabama, and besides, there's a lot of good options out there.

They should go after someone like Sonny Cumbie, or snap up Sterlin Gilbert once Texas cleans house. Major Applewhite might be a good fit. Or whoever the gently caress is running Washington's offense, but chances are it's Chris Petersen so...

Is O's friendship with Kiffin that tight that he'd leave Bama to be with O? I keep hearing that it is but what do I know.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Silly Burrito posted:

Is O's friendship with Kiffin that tight that he'd leave Bama to be with O? I keep hearing that it is but what do I know.

O and Kiffin are really tight, and Kiffin would probably just be allowed to do whatever the gently caress he wanted instead of having Papa Sabes screaming at him to run the ball every 10 downs or so.

also Kiffin might get a higher salary than Orgeron if LSU thinks that's what it takes to get a functioning QB.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The local Philly paper ran an article saying Notre Dame should hire Matt Rhule

Ok

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/802520556545384450

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Oregon just needs to get on with it and bring back Chip

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Fire the whole goddamn LSU athletic admin.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
they fired les miles and hired ed orgeron i cant stop laughing

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
God willing Les goes on to win a naty at Purdue.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I really really want Coach O to work out and think there's a chance if he can keep Aranda and get the right OC, but it does feel like settling. Were Jimbo and Herman really the only other guys they could think of? Ogeron wasn't going anywhere; you didn't need to rush the search. Hiring a guy who no other top tier school would even consider seems a little shortsighted, and in line with the SEC's super insular coaching hires of late.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

I really really want Coach O to work out and think there's a chance if he can keep Aranda and get the right OC, but it does feel like settling. Were Jimbo and Herman really the only other guys they could think of? Ogeron wasn't going anywhere; you didn't need to rush the search. Hiring a guy who no other top tier school would even consider seems a little shortsighted, and in line with the SEC's super insular coaching hires of late.

Bingo!

And even if Orgeron is successful, it's likely gonna' be on the strength of his coordinator hires, who will undoubtedly be hammered with offers at other schools & the cycle continues.

The more I read, it becomes obvious that LSU really didn't conduct any kind of coaching search at all.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

What other LSU-caliber names were out there, just out of curiosity?

Make a run at Chip Kelly?

Fleck has done really well. I'm struggling to really come up with others. Craig Bohl? He doesn't have a long enough record of DI success.

Any super-hot coordinators?

I just think the coaching talent pool is pretty shallow this year, honestly. I agree that the hire does seem a bit underwhelming, but other coaches have been given second chances with less success.

Maybe they were emboldened by Helton's USC coming together.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

They should have at least tried Chip Kelly first imo.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Charlie Strong fired

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
whooooooooo charlie strong apologism out in full force on ESPN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I'm gonna go out on a limb here but I think Charles Strong was a bad coach for the last three years

• Locked thread