Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Scionix posted:

it says here

*checks notes*

uhh it says here "houston nutt will be available"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Watching this Memphis game and I don't know that I would be so eager to hand over the keys to the Ferrari to Herman.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

an adult beverage posted:

Watching this Memphis game and I don't know that I would be so eager to hand over the keys to the Ferrari to Herman.

it's not a ferrari it's a hummah

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

an adult beverage posted:

Who else? What's the better option?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
People reporting Jimbo turned down a 6.8 mil a year offer from LSU.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The Non-Orgerons, at this moment:

1) Tom Herman: apparently didn't figure memphis was worth practicing for
2) Jimbo Fisher: reportedly turned down LSU already
3) Larry Fedora: NC State!!!!!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jimbo Fisher? That loser lost to Louisville by 43 points. And lost to Houston just last year! Why would we want that garbage?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Raku posted:

The Non-Orgerons, at this moment:

1) Tom Herman: apparently didn't figure memphis was worth practicing for
2) Jimbo Fisher: reportedly turned down LSU already
3) Larry Fedora: NC State!!!!!

more money for PJ Fleck then

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The real loser of the 2016 Coaching Carousel is probably going to be Kyle Allen. Transfers to Houston to play under Herman, has to sit out a season, and then Herman leaves.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

Spacebump posted:

The real loser of the 2016 Coaching Carousel is probably going to be Kyle Allen. Transfers to Houston to play under Herman, has to sit out a season, and then Herman leaves.

Nah, he's gonna be the biggest winner when PJ Fleck takes over Houston and easily surpasses that scrub Herman.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
So is Sumlin safe for another year?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Hed posted:

So is Sumlin safe for another year?

Yes. I still think we've got to wait for a step back from where we are now before we let him go.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

General Dog posted:

Yes. I still think we've got to wait for a step back from where we are now before we let him go.

They are in a weird spot, theoretically the program ceiling is high and you can't fault them for striving to compete just like LSU, Auburn, Texas etc. , but since there is no winning tradition it is going to look bad when they fire Sumlin for going 8-4 in a tough division and being ~top 3 in school winning percentage since WW2.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Boy did I pick a good weekend to check out. Please don't make me hate LSU, Herman.

Looks like Todd Orlando is headed out the door too. His defense gave up more today than to Louisville AND Oklahoma? He wasn't trying.

Spacebump posted:

He graduates from UH in January so he'll obviously grad transfer. Deriq King will be the QB next year. My real big worry is the amount of bag men for other schools starting to gather around Ed Oliver.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 26, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I've been busy doing dope poo poo and not watching football, but I just checked in on the game via mobile app and when I saw TCU was kicking our rear end all I felt was relief that the situation wouldn't become any messier. Strong is out and there is no room for anyone to question it. Three losing seasons in a row. Worst win percentage in Texas history. There must easily be 10 coaches I'd take over him at this point, and that number would doubtless be higher if I was familiar with more coaches' bodies of work.

I'll be rooting for Strong at his next stop.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Those kids threatening to boycott the game were special....

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Will Strong stay to coach the bowl game?

Oh wait

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Mildly concerning that Herman couldn't get his team up for a game that he potentially had millions of dollars riding on. I mean he will get hired up but a win would definitely have given him more leverage and/or sent a bidding war spiraling higher.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Third in the AAC West, first in our hearts

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Thermos H Christ posted:

Mildly concerning that Herman couldn't get his team up for a game that he potentially had millions of dollars riding on. I mean he will get hired up but a win would definitely have given him more leverage and/or sent a bidding war spiraling higher.

lol if you think the memphis game had any bearing on his getting hired somewhere else

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

Thermos H Christ posted:

Alternatively, it could be a case where it's real hard to get your players focused on the game when the entire media is speculating on where you'll be signing a contract tomorrow. Plus at this point, all the team is playing for is which mid-December mediocrity of a bowl game they'll be assigned too.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Considering where Houston thought their season would go, and where Herman is going, I can't blame anyone for not giving a gently caress

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Here I was thinking that Charlie Strong had at least one 7-5 season under his belt at Texas. His record is even worse than I realized. I didn't even know it was possible to do that poorly at Texas. Certainly Texas can hold their heads high for letting him go if they were paying him over five million dollars per season.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

lol if you think the memphis game had any bearing on his getting hired somewhere else

The very post you quoted said it did not have any bearing on whether he would get hired away. It only has a bearing on just how far someone will go to keep him away from everyone else who wants him.

That could easily be measured in the millions of dollars over a the course of a few years.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 26, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

texas should just hire some goony coordinator to coach everything and then just have the guy who played the coach in friday night lights be the figurehead who gladhands the boosters and goes out in front of the media.

AUSTIN-- Texas Coach to reporters: "I 'preciate that"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

texas should just hire some goony coordinator to coach everything and then just have the guy who played the coach in friday night lights be the figurehead who gladhands the boosters and goes out in front of the media.

AUSTIN-- Texas Coach to reporters: "I 'preciate that"

Dunno if Coach Taylor's Les Miles-esque clock management would go over well

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

Two state titles in four seasons at two different schools? Guy is basically Nick Saban.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
It all comes full circle

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

they can just run the go down in halftime by 30 and then win on nothing but last second bombs that won numerous State Titles.

That just led me to watch the Plano East/John Tyler highlights again and I just about wet mah britches

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I want him to be my father but how did that fool always wind up down 6 on his own 10 with no timeouts

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

I want him to be my father but how did that fool always wind up down 6 on his own 10 with no timeouts

it's not his fault, he didn't have any defensive players with lines or names

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
We need:

One Charlie Strong type life coach/social worker who makes it his number one priority to ensure that these underprivileged young men get a degree and give themselves and their descendants a better chance at building a comfortable life. And to not rape anybody if it should ever seem unclear whether they should or should not do that.

Several recruiters with deep ties to the Texas HS football scene.

One Tony Gibson-style defensive scheme savant who knows how to stop the spread.

DL/LB/DB position coaches good enough to instill solid fundamentals in our players so they can actually tackle when the scheme puts them in a position to do so.

One Art Briles-esque Texas HS style offensive mastermind.

OL/WR/TE/QB position coaches good enough to instill solid fundamentals in our players so they can actually move the ball when the scheme puts them in a position to do so.

A special teams coach. Like basically any coach who can teach special teams please god.

Kyle Chandler/Matthew McConnaughey to be the public face of the team who slaps backs and charms boosters and does LHN shows/press conferences.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 26, 2016

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just read that Coach O is pushing hard to get Lane Kiffin as OC if he gets the job. As much as I dislike Kiffin, if Coach O has Kiffin as OC and Aranda as DC....:drat:

Still want Herman, but I'd accept the above. Would be better than Cam Cameron by far.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's not his fault, he didn't have any defensive players with lines or names

Shocking disrespect for the Hispanic reformed criminal/linebacker Buddy was gonna adopt who abruptly disappeared after season 2

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Korranus posted:

Boy did I pick a good weekend to check out. Please don't make me hate LSU, Herman.

Looks like Todd Orlando is headed out the door too. His defense gave up more today than to Louisville AND Oklahoma? He wasn't trying.

Boy did I pick a good loving game to go to. And their fans suck - I was trolled by an old lady. At least I got some kick rear end pork ribs afterward.

Seriously, this felt like the last game Sumlin "coached" for us in 2011 only they eventually remembered how to put some points up on the board this time.

Oh well thanks for the memories Tom, it's too bad you couldn't bother to coach your last game.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I'll volunteer to be Texas's coach. I only require $1m in annual salary.

Notable accomplishments:

-1 year as an OC at Idaho (10-2), #1 offense in NCAA
-4 years as HC at North Texas, 3 national titles & 1 BCS Bowl victory
-30 years as HC at Miami (FL), 30 national titles, 17 Heisman winners
-JD from University of Houston (TOM HERMAN COACHING TREE??)

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Komet posted:

No, just Rutgers

No, the league is loving awful and should be forcibly disbanded. Pretty much the only saving grace is that Midwesterners are forced to pay for this on their cable bills.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

NOTABLE FNL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS:

-The linebacker who disappeared in the Murder Season, which is NOT CANON Y'ALL
-The East Dillon guys playing ironman football because they had like 15 guys on the team
-The time Voodoo Tatum was forced to play DB in practice

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

No, the league is loving awful and should be forcibly disbanded. Pretty much the only saving grace is that Midwesterners are forced to pay for this on their cable bills.

I'm glad to pay for it, because as a MAC fan, it means I sometimes get to see my team on TV without having to gently caress around with internet sources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

And then he would call a run play in that situation.

• Locked thread