Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Lawen posted:

Weller or Hakko soldering irons are both really good. I limped along with a piece of poo poo $20 iron for a while but bought a Weller WES51 about a year ago and it was a huge improvement so if you can afford ~$90 for a iron you should go that route.

Edit: actually, I have the WESD51 but the WES51 is still a great choice. If that's too expensive though the Weller WLC100 is <$40 and will still be a big step up from the $20 irons that plug straight into the wall and don't have variable temp control.

Phthisis posted:

I have done a lot of soldering over the years, and the iron I own for personal use is a cheap $20 one. They're definitely fine if you know what you're doing but may not be so great for learning.

But in my opinion, far more important than the soldering iron itself is the solder you get. The lead-free solder is a million times harder to use than the leaded stuff. I've felt really bad for the people I've seen struggling to learn with lead-free solder.

Thanks for the tips. Is the thing to clean the soldering iron tip a necessity/good idea? This thing https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-599B-0...6FBS4NRJWW2SSCS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Van Dis posted:

Thanks for the tips. Is the thing to clean the soldering iron tip a necessity/good idea? This thing https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-599B-0...6FBS4NRJWW2SSCS

The wire cleaner is a nice-to-have but definitely not a necessity. A damp sponge works fine. You may get a bit more life out of your tip using the metal wire cleaner but it's not significant. The main difference is that using a damp sponge will drop the temp of your tip more so you may have to wait a few seconds (longer with a cheaper/lower voltage iron) for it to get back up to proper temp.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

signalnoise posted:

If you need something lightweight and wind resistant, I recommend the Ike windshirt by Chrome.

I don't want to seem like a negative nellie, but what's the point of that? The shape of that doesn't help at all when it's really cold out. You could put wind-blocking material in anything but thats not gonna do nothing on a little square cut jacket. The description says "ride it to work" like you can commute on a bike in it, but below 65 degrees you'd be crying when that thing rides up to your ribcage and the sleeves let in cold air up to your biceps. It sounds comfy over a hoodie but I don't see why it has a coat price for jacket functionality :awesome:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

life is a joke posted:

I don't want to seem like a negative nellie, but what's the point of that? The shape of that doesn't help at all when it's really cold out. You could put wind-blocking material in anything but thats not gonna do nothing on a little square cut jacket. The description says "ride it to work" like you can commute on a bike in it, but below 65 degrees you'd be crying when that thing rides up to your ribcage and the sleeves let in cold air up to your biceps. It sounds comfy over a hoodie but I don't see why it has a coat price for jacket functionality :awesome:

Below 65 it works just fine. Maybe you're thinking below 40? The cut is longer than normal and it's also longer in the back to cover you if you have to bend over for something. The sleeves have zippers to close them up. I wouldn't wear it at 35 degrees, but say at 55 it's perfect. Besides, I said lightweight and wind resistant. I never said it was a winter coat. I have it in the regular material and also in heavy canvas, they're both great.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It's also marketed to cyclists, who need wind blocking more when they ride, even at higher temperatures

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's also marketed to cyclists, who need wind blocking more when they ride, even at higher temperatures

Yeah I mean poo poo, it has ventilation in the armpits for when it gets too hot. It really is just a jacket weather jacket with wind resistance and the ability to close it up. But it's not a serious cold weather jacket. If you think it's too expensive I feel like that's subjective but it was worth the sale price for me at least. They go on sale for about 80 with regularity.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

Yeah I mean poo poo, it has ventilation in the armpits for when it gets too hot. It really is just a jacket weather jacket with wind resistance and the ability to close it up.

If you're cycling in the winter, I've found that the key is to be near-miserably cold when you leave so that after a couple of miles you are feeling pretty comfy. Wind blockage is #1 on the list of importance. I take a softshell windbreaker jacket intended for much warmer weather and layer arm warmers and long sleeved shirts as needed down towards 10 degrees F before I ramp things up. Gloves being the exception to this - full winter for those.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm looking for a beginner's acoustic electric guitar, full size not kid's, preferably not a piece of poo poo, under 200 dollars.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
Craigslist. Or a pawn shop.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JustAurora posted:

Craigslist. Or a pawn shop.

Could you tell me what I should be looking for in an acoustic electric? I know like jack poo poo about guitars, not sure where to start with my research for this gift

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

signalnoise posted:

Could you tell me what I should be looking for in an acoustic electric? I know like jack poo poo about guitars, not sure where to start with my research for this gift
We have a subforum with musicians.

Try here, probably:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341553

edit: I see you already went there.

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Nov 23, 2016

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Anyone have experience with low-end LCD/LED TVs? Are they worth it, the cheapest of the cheap?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
How large? If you only want a small one for a single person, I'm actually using https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Switcher-Selector-Extractor/dp/B00QJGAKCW/ with a good 1080p lcd monitor that i found on clearance. It's worked perfectly for me for the past few months, and I haven't had any issues with audio lag or hdcp at all (which is my main concern with any breakout boxes)

E: also, check slickdeals.com to see which black friday tvs are decent in case you feel like standing in line or paying a bit extra from a flipper on craigslist

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 09:44 on Nov 23, 2016

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I travel a lot, so I was wondering if there was such a thing as a combination travel adapter/battery pack/USB port thing available out there? I've seen some that have combinations of two of those features, but I would really love to have all 3.
Thanks!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What I need is a case with a kickstand for a Nexus 6P.
I like them slim because I never drop the thing and am not worried about SUPER TACTICAL toughness.
If it comes in an obnoxious color, that's even better.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Shnicker posted:

I travel a lot, so I was wondering if there was such a thing as a combination travel adapter/battery pack/USB port thing available out there? I've seen some that have combinations of two of those features, but I would really love to have all 3.
Thanks!

When you say travel adapter, are you looking for something with adapters for different power standards or just an integrated ac adapter? If just an ac adapter, I bought this one a while back and like it. It's the lightning version, but they make one with an integrated mini USB cable also.

Portable Charger RAVPower 9000mAh Power Bank (with AC Plug, Apple MFI Certified, Built-in Apple Lightning Connector) External Battery Pack iSmart Broad Compatibility, Fast Charging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q2B5KY2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_HvLnybPP6XABR

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

What I need is a case with a kickstand for a Nexus 6P.
I like them slim because I never drop the thing and am not worried about SUPER TACTICAL toughness.
If it comes in an obnoxious color, that's even better.

I liked Incipio and Seidio cases, do they make one with a kickstand? Worth a look. Both brands tend to be on the slim side and are well built.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

snickles posted:

When you say travel adapter, are you looking for something with adapters for different power standards or just an integrated ac adapter? If just an ac adapter, I bought this one a while back and like it. It's the lightning version, but they make one with an integrated mini USB cable also.

Portable Charger RAVPower 9000mAh Power Bank (with AC Plug, Apple MFI Certified, Built-in Apple Lightning Connector) External Battery Pack iSmart Broad Compatibility, Fast Charging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q2B5KY2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_HvLnybPP6XABR

That one looks almost perfect. I did mean an integrated plug, but I was hoping to find one with an adapter for different outlets around the world, and hopefully multiple USB ports (along with a battery). After all kinds of searching on Amazon, I'm starting to believe it doesn't exist. Maybe I should just get one without the battery capabilities.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Looking for some kinda handheld thingy i could load gameboy or NES games on. My phone gets enough abuse and I dont really have access to a psp, which used to be the console of choice for this. Just looking for something for trips to use when the 3g sucks poo poo and eats up my phone battery.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Looking for a cheap backpack. Has anyone bought one of the cheap under $30 backpacks that are available on Amazon? There are tons. I'm looking for one that can can carry Surface and a change of clothes. I won't really be using it regularly, maybe a handful of times a year, that's why I don't really want to spend much on it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

visuvius posted:

Looking for a cheap backpack. Has anyone bought one of the cheap under $30 backpacks that are available on Amazon? There are tons. I'm looking for one that can can carry Surface and a change of clothes. I won't really be using it regularly, maybe a handful of times a year, that's why I don't really want to spend much on it.

Just buy one of the Amazon branded ones then.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm close to finishing buying an apartment and want to get a roomba for keeping the floor clean since its almost all 1 level. I'm not really sure what the difference between the models/brands is though. Can anyone give some recommendations?

Jose has a new favorite as of 12:14 on Nov 24, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-robot-vacuum/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Thanks. Thats the one i was looking at since its currently on offer

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
removed

skit herre has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Nov 25, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The cheap Roomba is fine for most basic one-floor layouts. It runs into things nonstop but it gets everything clean.

Is put up more money for the "sensing" ones if you've got multiple rooms or a complex floor layout.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Anyone have suggestions for inexpensive gifts (under $50) that are practical and most people would enjoy receiving? Thinking of things you might give someone you don't know that well.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Protip: don't buy something for a person that's in a category they're really passionate about unless you're an expert in that field. To put it simply, if it's relatively inexpensive and they don't already have it, then they either decided it was junk or that they don't need it

How about a prepaid gift cert (tip included) for a professional massage? a good place might be over 50, but that was probably the most appreciated non-sentimental gift I've given

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Male Tears posted:

Anyone have suggestions for inexpensive gifts (under $50) that are practical and most people would enjoy receiving? Thinking of things you might give someone you don't know that well.

Find out if they like coffee or tea. If they do, get them some good coffee or tea. In my experience, people like the good poo poo in those categories regardless of personal preference. Unlike long term utilitarian items like bags or tools or something like that where redundancy is rampant in gifting, disposable/consumable items are good for a try unless you're a huge snob, like someone who won't drink a certain wine varietal for whatever reason.

If you don't know them, you can also just give them some poo poo they can regift.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Is there such a thing a a bicycle handlebar mount that will hold a phone and a gopro at the same time?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Cross posting from deals subforum because I love these phone mounts so much. 20% off expensive but great phone mounts, customized for different car models so they hook into panel seams, making them rock solid.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799438

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I've started cooking a fair amount of rice for myself and I've grown out of doing it by hand. I'd like to get a rice cooker and lots of people including the OP are recommending the Zojirushi. I don't think i'm ready to spend that much on a rice cooker just yet. Any other good recommendations?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Travic posted:

So I've started cooking a fair amount of rice for myself and I've grown out of doing it by hand. I'd like to get a rice cooker and lots of people including the OP are recommending the Zojirushi. I don't think i'm ready to spend that much on a rice cooker just yet. Any other good recommendations?

Just get it and be set for life.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Travic posted:

I've had a Panasonic that has been going strong for years, no complaints.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
If you're close to an Asian grocery store, go there and choose something in the middle price range. That's where I got mine and it has yet to catch my entire building on fire.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

uwaeve posted:

Cross posting from deals subforum because I love these phone mounts so much. 20% off expensive but great phone mounts, customized for different car models so they hook into panel seams, making them rock solid.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799438

I finally got around to buying one of these doodads and they really are all they're cracked up to be. The mount is solid as a rock and it holds my phone perfectly. After years of lovely phone holders drooping my phone to weird angles, pressing the volume button when I'm trying to put the phone in, or outright dumping my phone on the ground, this is a lifesaver.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap loveseat that is very comfortable even if it looks like rear end? I used to have one that was padded entirely with just foam and it was great, but I got it at a thrift store and I don't know where to buy something like that new.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Etrips posted:

Just get it and be set for life.

I'll admit I do want it really bad. What does it do that sets it so far above everything else?

taqueso posted:

I've had a Panasonic that has been going strong for years, no complaints.

That's a good benchmark.

Travic has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Nov 27, 2016

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been happy with this T-Fal electric kettle: https://amzn.com/B0086UJQN8

Not sure if there's a smaller capacity one if size is an issue. It's not too big as it is.

Coming back to say that this kettle owns bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Travic posted:

I had one of those and they are great but you could spend less on and Instant Pot pressure cooker.
Same results AND you can cook a million things in it.