Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SperginMcBadposter posted:

The last post in the SF4 thread was early this year so I assumed 5 killed 4's playerbase the same way revelator did with -sign-.

Yes, but Revelator is a 100% improvement on Sign, unlike..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

attackmole posted:

What's the best way to get fight money? Are people still getting banned for hacking it? I just wanna get all the characters.

Doing each character's story mode throws money at you right and left, and you'll get a large chunk of cash for beating the general story (though that takes quite a bit longer).

I just picked this up on sale, too. Man, it's disappointing how several characters feel like less dynamic versions of their old selves. Juri and Ibuki in particular feel really lackluster to me.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

attackmole posted:

Guys I bought this on sale because I wanted to have something to play at locals when the other anime boys don't show up. (revelator pc when)

What's the best way to get fight money? Are people still getting banned for hacking it? I just wanna get all the characters.

The trials are easy enough that even a retard like me with no dexterity was able to beat all of them. Then character and general story (up to you if you think going through the hell that is extra story mode is worth 50k). After that I guess survival easy for everyone but no higher, unless you seriously want to ruin your day.

After that it kinda dries up, pretty much all you have left are daily challenges (more accurately called weekly challenges) but at this point your fight money gain slows to a crawl and you realize this is a full retail price free to play game.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I have a directinput controller. Downloaded a DLL to try and make it work. Buttons work but Joystick doesn't. There's no option in the game to rebind anything. Lololol.

e: JK this one's on me, looks like when I was fiddling with my joystick earlier I didn't plug it back into the board properly.

So where do I go to find out what moves crush counter? Is that info available in game?

Also, dumb question, is there any notification for whether a move is modified by L,M,H or not? Like, most specials are, but it seems like Mika's grab's aren't? But I'm not sure.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 24, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

attackmole posted:

I have a directinput controller. Downloaded a DLL to try and make it work. Buttons work but Joystick doesn't. There's no option in the game to rebind anything. Lololol.

e: JK this one's on me, looks like when I was fiddling with my joystick earlier I didn't plug it back into the board properly.

So where do I go to find out what moves crush counter? Is that info available in game?

Also, dumb question, is there any notification for whether a move is modified by L,M,H or not? Like, most specials are, but it seems like Mika's grab's aren't? But I'm not sure.

You either gotta look it up or lab it. Most cc's are heavy attacks, occasionally while crouching.

Strength of button is usually super obvious if it makes a difference so if you dont see one its probably nothing

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
How old is Ono? Why is this grown rear end man acting like a spastic teenager?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

ROFL Octopus posted:

The trials are easy enough that even a retard like me with no dexterity was able to beat all of them. Then character and general story (up to you if you think going through the hell that is extra story mode is worth 50k). After that I guess survival easy for everyone but no higher, unless you seriously want to ruin your day.

After that it kinda dries up, pretty much all you have left are daily challenges (more accurately called weekly challenges) but at this point your fight money gain slows to a crawl and you realize this is a full retail price free to play game.

Yeah that why I hate sf5.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

attackmole posted:

Mika's grabs do more damage but have less range as you increase in strength

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool, thanks.

More anecdotal ranting about SFV from a dude who only knows how to play Xrd (poorly): Is it just me, or is the hitstun in SF really short? I mean that's probably true for all the versions, but I'm having surprising amounts of difficulty with basic execution for SF's cancelling into special moves. You really need to jam the command in there quick, especially if you're trying to cancel into something off a LP or LK.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

attackmole posted:

Cool, thanks.

More anecdotal ranting about SFV from a dude who only knows how to play Xrd (poorly): Is it just me, or is the hitstun in SF really short? I mean that's probably true for all the versions, but I'm having surprising amounts of difficulty with basic execution for SF's cancelling into special moves. You really need to jam the command in there quick, especially if you're trying to cancel into something off a LP or LK.

I have also noticed this and its not made better by input lag. if you are going to special cancel do it immediately after you do the normal, don't wait to see if it lands.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

attackmole posted:

Cool, thanks.

It's way way tighter compared to guilty and you can't buffer in safe gatlings or anything. Also your movement sucks and you can't jump and everything is really slow and the game kinda blows lol. Enjoy

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm a real big fan of the design feature where you can only move forward by one in trials and have to go back to the character select if you want to do an earlier one or skip forward.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The trials that include v-trigger are extra annoying because it has to be restarted through the menu unless you want to sit there and wait for the gauge to drain so you can try again.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

The trials that include v-trigger are extra annoying because it has to be restarted through the menu unless you want to sit there and wait for the gauge to drain so you can try again.

There's a hot key to restart the trial immediately (and for some reason hot keys are disabled by default lol)

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
V-Triggers/Skills/Whatever seem kinda like a dopey mechanic to me. It's like the thought was that it's a meter that lets every character do something unique to them but the developers got bored/ran out of time and gave half the cast glowing hands instead. It's like in this weird spot where it's not unified enough across characters to feel like a constant game mechanic, but not unique enough between characters to feel like it really differentiates anyone.

It seems like an OK game but I'd rather be playing Xrd. The only reason I'm picking it up is so that I've got something to mess around with at locals when the anime guys aren't there, so I figure learning to half rear end play an annoying R.Mika would be appropriate. Then I might be able to make whoever I'm playing against as annoyed as I am that there's no one there to play a different game with me.

It's a dumb analogy, but I kinda think of knowing how to play Street Fighter as knowing English. Even if it's not your mother tongue and you think it's an ugly lovely language, it's probably worth knowing a bit to communicate with people. Calgary's scene ain't great unfortunately. Sometimes at locals I got people to play Xrd with, sometimes I don't. I rank SFV above turning around and sitting at home on the entertainment scale, so I figured it was time to learn a little.

I'd like to take this time to shoutout Gono, Rikir, Bill From Canada, and all the other anime boys of Waterloo. Didn't realize how good it was there until I was gone.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 25, 2016

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
if you play sfv at least play alex, the best character.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

some of the installs are really good despite being uninspired. cammy's and chun li's are both extremely dangerous.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I wish fang had a real vtrigger :(

Like...accelerated poison effect imo, maybe even on top of what it does already.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the poison is so tame. when i turn purple i don't feel any extra urgency

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Yay :toot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4fQi_d9lgI

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Real hurthling! posted:

the poison is so tame. when i turn purple i don't feel any extra urgency

Yeah it feels like its designed to spook people into action more than anything. And so you're at least accomplishing something while you do the great wall of fang.

Even his vskill is poo poo.

But dem buttons.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Lol

Congrats. Jump less and dash more.

Edit: also practice comboing a crouched mp into a fireball, with the crouch as the start of the motion.

Also try mp->hp->hk, it's not optimal but its an easy linker and served me well in those early days

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 25, 2016

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Zand posted:

sf5 is to sf4 as sf4 was to like every other capcom game at the time

theres just a bunch of people pretending to like a newer, shittier game so hard they start to like it for real just because its the new one.

sf4 was a compost pile. sure it's ugly and smelly but there's at least a greater purpose to it.

sf5 is that t-rex turd from the first jurassic park movie where no matter how deep you try to dig into to find something you're just elbow deep in poo poo

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

I made a video like that when I got my first online win (in sf4)

e: just watched your vid. it's a little hard to follow two white ryus, but it looks like you should jump less. also, when you knock the other guy down, don't just sit there and wait for them to get back up. you want to apply some pressure to them to force them into a bad position when they get up. an easy way to do this as ryu is to shoot a fireball that'll hit them when they get up, forcing them to block or get hit.

attackmole posted:

Cool, thanks.

A light attack causes 8 frames of hitstop on block, a medium attack causes 12, and a heavy attack causes 15. Unless you're Ken, then your mediums only cause 10, and your heavies cause 12. I think hitstun is somewhere from the mid 10s-mid 20 frames, depending on attack strength. Crush counters probably boost hitstun and/or hitstop.

In Xrd, attacks have 11-15 frames of hitstop (up to 27 on CH), and 10-20 frames of hitstun. IMO gatlings make it way easier to cancel into specials, but Xrd has its own harder aspects (jump cancels, corner combos). OTOH that stuff at least looks stylish as hell when you pull it off.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 25, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'll just drop this here for no real reason because it's bloody amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vq6WCXQ2W8

I guess it has some goons dropping shade at SFV at one point so it's sorta relevant to the thread.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dhamster posted:

I made a video like that when I got my first online win (in sf4)

e: just watched your vid. it's a little hard to follow two white ryus, but it looks like you should jump less. also, when you knock the other guy down, don't just sit there and wait for them to get back up. you want to apply some pressure to them to force them into a bad position when they get up. an easy way to do this as ryu is to shoot a fireball that'll hit them when they get up, forcing them to block or get hit.

A light attack causes 8 frames of hitstop on block, a medium attack causes 12, and a heavy attack causes 15. Unless you're Ken, then your mediums only cause 10, and your heavies cause 12. I think hitstun is somewhere from the mid 10s-mid 20 frames, depending on attack strength. Crush counters probably boost hitstun and/or hitstop.

In Xrd, attacks have 11-15 frames of hitstop (up to 27 on CH), and 10-20 frames of hitstun. IMO gatlings make it way easier to cancel into specials, but Xrd has its own harder aspects (jump cancels, corner combos). OTOH that stuff at least looks stylish as hell when you pull it off.

Ahhh, cool. It's such a dumb excuse, but that 3 frame difference is probably why I was having such a hard time getting stuff to come out after light attacks in particular. Need to get a feel for this timing.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

attackmole posted:

Ahhh, cool. It's such a dumb excuse, but that 3 frame difference is probably why I was having such a hard time getting stuff to come out after light attacks in particular. Need to get a feel for this timing.

It's a very legit excuse imo. The pause from hitstop is a natural cue for timing your inputs, but the amount of hitstop varies widely between fgs. For example coming from xrd you might be used to pressing buttons in the middle of hitstop because it reduces the risk of too early/late inputs, but this same timing will gently caress you in games with low hitstop. The extra input lag in sf5 certainly doesn't help either.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

You can tell someone plays sf5 regularly if he can block empty jump low in that game

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hmu later dude i need to practice my anti airs

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://gfycat.com/FavoriteHopefulGoldenretriever

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

We underestimated his psycho powers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder if they're actually planning on finishing their game before 2020 though.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I got enough fitemans money to unlock a character, but I don't know who to unlock. Seems like they should let you use them in training mode first or something.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I got enough fitemans money to unlock a character, but I don't know who to unlock. Seems like they should let you use them in training mode first or something.

you can play them for a round or two in story mode

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

are you ok with charge motions? Guile/Balrog are all charge, urien is mostly charge and alex has a few charge moves too. of the two non-charge characters ibuki is the more solid pick. people have a real low estimation of juri.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The Akuma trailer is actually the first MvC4 trailer. :downswords:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

the trailer does never actually say sfv anywhere...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

akuma is the new wandering hobo

Woden
May 6, 2006

Yep, I've got enough cash for 4 characters but haven't bought any since I dunno if I'll ever really play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I bought samraui shodown 6 on black Friday. I know this isn't the thread for it but I'm having a great time with it. love that thr game automatically knows I have a fight stick plugged in.

anyone know a good place to maybe read up on some moves or learn the basics of the game?