Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Daric posted:

No one in the organization is really all that sorry to see him go. He brought us some wins and a little national relevance but we'd rather have an actual good character guy like Strong.
Texas is more than happy to swap with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Daric posted:

It's not actually all that butt hurt. I've had pretty inside access to the organization for a while since my family has been boosters and working in the athletics department. Herman's public persona is all about love and relationships but in reality he's very shady and has straight up lied to my face about things that didn't need to be lied about.

No one in the organization is really all that sorry to see him go. He brought us some wins and a little national relevance but we'd rather have an actual good character guy like Strong.

Source your quotes.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Exquisite.... I bet according to them, he was actually holding them back. They are going to be even better with their new coach!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

A.o.D. posted:

Source your quotes.

My quotes being my own actual experiences with the guy. There's a reason his first move after every game is to immediately grab his wife from the stands and bring her down on the field before anything else. She doesn't let him out of her sight.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Daric posted:

It's not actually all that butt hurt. I've had pretty inside access to the organization for a while since my family has been boosters and working in the athletics department. Herman's public persona is all about love and relationships but in reality he's very shady and has straight up lied to my face about things that didn't need to be lied about.

Are you performing a seance for the Miami Dolphins when Saban ditched them

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bring back Briles

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Abe Froman posted:

LSU fired its most successful coach to hire Ed loving Orgeron. LOL.

2nd most successful! We had Saban once

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Spintzel posted:

2nd most successful! We had Saban once

a lot of LSU fans call Les their best coach ever because he had the most wins or the highest percentage. It really doesn't take into context the state of the program when each took over but it's technically accurate and they don't want to talk about Saban. IMO it's... kinda sad

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

DrunkPanda posted:

Exquisite.... I bet according to them, he was actually holding them back. They are going to be even better with their new coach!

Kiffin to Houston imho

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Raku posted:

Are you performing a seance for the Miami Dolphins when Saban ditched them

thanks for reminding me of the worst era of my life

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/802565978508800000

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Ehud posted:

see the problem was really that you weren't blaming Muschamp for ENOUGH of your pain

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ok I I'll try watching UT games again after having to stop halfway through this season.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Hopefully Herman hires a legit DC and doesn't just bring along his whole staff. We are way too conservative with our money sometimes. Just let him hire a million quality control guys like Bama does.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

buddhanc posted:

Hopefully Herman hires a legit DC and doesn't just bring along his whole staff. We are way too conservative with our money sometimes. Just let him hire a million quality control guys like Bama does.

Is he not keeping the one-year-old OC?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Is he keeping the one-year-old OC?

No idea. Maybe he'll bring Major along, but Major might be in line for the head coach job at Houston now. I don't think Gilbert and Herman have the same offensive philosophy.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Ehud posted:

Didn't they consistently beat the Pats tho?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I hope he either fails miserably or leaves for Ohio State in 3 years after Urban retires

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

buddhanc posted:

No idea. Maybe he'll bring Major along, but Major might be in line for the head coach job at Houston now. I don't think Gilbert and Herman have the same offensive philosophy.

Hahaha holy poo poo I forgot that's where Major Applewhite ended up.

Can he pay back whatever buyout we paid him if he takes the same job again

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

pillsburysoldier posted:

Didn't they consistently beat the Pats tho?

IIRC Saban is 2/2 against Bellichick

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
So, I have some thoughts about the hiring of Ed Orgeron as actual LSU head coach.

First, I forbid everyone from talking about teams from Oregon for as long as Ed's in charge, because it's a pain in the rear end to scan through threads when that happens.

Second, I don't think he was the best possible hire available this year. I also, however, don't think there was another hire that would have kept most of the coaching staff intact, or would have raised LSU into contention for National Championships. That's right, I don't think there was a coach available that could beat Saban. There, I said it. That makes Orgeron a reasonably priced holding pattern if he doesn't work out as LSU's long term solution. Every other significant coaching choice would have been too expensive for not enough results. Tom Herman is going to get a lot of money, and I don't think he'd have done well at LSU. Jimbo Fisher would have required pallets of cash, and it's no sure thing that he could solve the Saban rubric, and he probably would have dismissed the entire coaching staff in favor of his own people.

So.. we're stuck with Ed Orgeron now, and I think it's a logical hire, even if it is a marriage of convenience. I don't think he'll have a long career at LSU, but I would welcome the opportunity to be pleasantly surprised.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

So, I have some thoughts about the hiring of Ed Orgeron as actual LSU head coach.

First, I forbid everyone from talking about teams from Oregon for as long as Ed's in charge, because it's a pain in the rear end to scan through threads when that happens.

Second, I don't think he was the best possible hire available this year. I also, however, don't think there was another hire that would have kept most of the coaching staff intact, or would have raised LSU into contention for National Championships. That's right, I don't think there was a coach available that could beat Saban. There, I said it. That makes Orgeron a reasonably priced holding pattern if he doesn't work out as LSU's long term solution. Every other significant coaching choice would have been too expensive for not enough results. Tom Herman is going to get a lot of money, and I don't think he'd have done well at LSU. Jimbo Fisher would have required pallets of cash, and it's no sure thing that he could solve the Saban rubric, and he probably would have dismissed the entire coaching staff in favor of his own people.

So.. we're stuck with Ed Orgeron now, and I think it's a logical hire, even if it is a marriage of convenience. I don't think he'll have a long career at LSU, but I would welcome the opportunity to be pleasantly surprised.

This all could have been solved if Ed Orgeron went to coach for Oregon. Oregongeron, Or Orgerongon. Or something.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
The discussion of Orgeron from And the Valley Shook was actually really good:

http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2016/11/25/13745380/lsu-head-coaching-search-ed-orgeron

very long and detailed read but I think it's pretty on point about the unique cost/benefits of Coach O

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Names being floated for our coaching search, from the Chronicle's UH beat writer:

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/802563473511092224

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/802563924746993665

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/802565090708955136

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/802565487586484224

if we hire back Briles I'm going to burn my season tickets

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
^^^

Why the gently caress would Holgerson leave WVU for a G5 team? Coaching searches are dumb - just hire Chad Morris or Kingsbury if he gets fired and call it a day.

Daric posted:

My quotes being my own actual experiences with the guy. There's a reason his first move after every game is to immediately grab his wife from the stands and bring her down on the field before anything else. She doesn't let him out of her sight.

Alternative experience. He is a chill and funny guy, though I only met him briefly at some events around town and don't have *BOOSTER ACCESS*

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
lol if mike leach dumps a university that tolerated him consistently losing to FCS teams

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Chad Morris is ours for next year fuckheads

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Raku posted:

lol if mike leach dumps a university that tolerated him consistently losing to FCS teams

Mike Leach will not leave Wazzu, he's loved on the Palouse and he doesn't need a stepping stone job

Also, Houston isn't going to steal away a P5 coach at a good school, that's stupid.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 26, 2016

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
The other issue is that Kyle Allen is going to graduate and could transfer without sitting out so he'll probably follow Herman to Texas.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Texas having two competent quarterbacks will shatter the space time continuum.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Mike Leach will not leave Wazzu, he's loved on the Palouse and he doesn't need a stepping stone job

Also, Houston isn't going to steal away a P5 coach at a good school, that's stupid.

I agree (especially about Leach), but I could see us getting a coach who's having issues with the admin or boosters

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Called it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

buddhanc posted:

Texas having two competent quarterbacks will shatter the space time continuum.

Applewhite / Sims?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Oh well, at least the players love Orgeron. It's nice that something worked out for the kids for once, even if I can't see him lasting that long.

I'll still take O over late stage Les Miles. At least next year will have a new offense. That'll be fun for a while.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I hope the late stage collapses Sumlin has is actually a UH curse that transfers to the latest coach to take a job at a bigger school.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Democratic Pirate posted:

I hope the late stage collapses Sumlin has is actually a UH curse that transfers to the latest coach to take a job at a bigger school.

UH should look at this as dodging the inevitable bullets of rape scandals or late season collapses that would have ultimately doomed UH to mediocrity.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ehud posted:

oh good

e: the pj fleck tweet

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Who the hell would hire a coach that lost a game? God, what morons.

I said "bidding war" not "hire."

I said lost to SMU (badly) and Memphis. Not just any teams.

It's easy to tear down my post when you take such liberties with what was said in the post. I have no problem with him being hired, but when you're talking about a bidding war between two of college football's premier programs for such a coach, it seems reckless.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Red River next year might be between 2 former A&M QBs with Allen at Texas and Kyler Murray at OU. Wow did Sumlin bungle that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

That Works posted:

UH should look at this as dodging the inevitable bullets of rape scandals or late season collapses that would have ultimately doomed UH to mediocrity.

As opposed to being stuck in a Group of 5 conference that will ultimately doom UH to mediocrity.

• Locked thread