Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shaggar posted:

hmmm maybe we'll finally be able to write good software for osx.
Well it might save people from xcode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

well of course microsoft is making a knockoff version of apple's fart huffing technology

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
mm yes let me make this custom vanity URL shortener it's not like twitter had one built in or anything

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
In Chakra, function calls can sometimes take an extra internal argument, using the flag CallFlags_ExtraArg. The global eval function makes assumptions about the type of this extra arg, and casts it to a FrameDisplay object. If eval is called from a location in code where an extra parameter is added, for example, a Proxy function trap, and the extra parameter is of a different type, this can lead to type confusion. A full PoC is as follows and attached:

var p = new Proxy(eval, {});
p("alert(\"e\")");

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't really follow why that bug is all that interesting? good that it is fixed certainly, but doesn't seem more dramatic than any number of other things

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Satya Nadella Toasts Tim Cook

quote:

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has finally taken Apple CEO Tim Cook to task for his hypocritical comments about 2-in-1 PCs.

And it’s about freaking time.

As you may recall, Mr. Cook was asked during a quarterly earnings conference call about PC/mobile hybrids—what we now call 2-in-1 PCs—after Microsoft launched Surface in late 2012. At that time, Cook mocked these devices as Frankenstein contraptions that didn’t meet user needs.

“Anything can be forced to converge, but the problem is that products are about trade-offs, and you begin to make trade-offs to the point where what you have left doesn’t please anyone,” he said in response. “You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those things are probably not going be pleasing to the user.”

Which explains why Mr. Cook’s Apple released its own 2-in-1 computer, the iPad Pro, just three years later. Well, that and the fact that the iPad, which had been going gangbusters in 2012, had seen sales slow and then fall. In fact, iPad sales have fallen year-over-year for over two years now.

So Apple, like Microsoft and the PC industry before it, saw convergence as the solution. And the iPad was converged to be more like a 2-in-1 PC. To be more—a lot more—like Surface.

What in the hell is this? May someone interrupt Thurrott to English?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

I think nadella said please admit that our product which has never sold more than a small fraction of your "failing" tablet was a good idea and also I want a pony or something

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

toasted him did he?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tab8715 posted:

thurott is an actual moron

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Satellit3 posted:

toasted him did he?
hear hear

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

*chuck tingle joke*

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Game changer. Office 365 now available in Vatican City.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ever since updating to win10 anniversary edition programs will fail to launch with the error 'the stub received bad data' and now it wont download windows updates.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
have you tried giving the stub good data?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Dodoman posted:

have you tried giving the stub good data?

all of my programs are bad so I don't think I can do that

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Microsoft is working on a new design language for Windows 10 codenamed Project NEON

quote:

Details are still scarce, but we hear some of the new designs in the plans include adding more animations and transitions, with the overall goal of making the UI very fluid and "beautiful" compared to the current, almost static UI that is MDL2. One source familiar with Microsoft's plans described NEON as "Very fluid, lots of motion and nice transitions."

wtf the "fast and fluid" UX was basically the marketing cornerstore of metro since day 1

quote:

Update: Some more information about NEON reveals that it serves as a bridge between holographic and augmented reality (AR) and the desktop environment. It's a "UI that transports across devices" with a UX that maps to the physical world. It uses textures, 3D models, lighting and more.

lol in other words this "metro 2.0" is completely the reverse design philosophy of metro 1.0

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imo they should make the start menu orange

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Microsoft is working on a new design language for Windows 10 codenamed Project NEON

wtf the "fast and fluid" UX was basically the marketing cornerstore of metro since day 1

lol in other words this "metro 2.0" is completely the reverse design philosophy of metro 1.0

I hope to God and all that is holy they ditch built-in ads, take a note from OS X and make an actual decent UI that goes beyond the 1996 Start Menu.

Or am I asking for too much?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
they're just going to start using kde

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the surfaces pro 4 and surfaces book are extremely cool and good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

the surfaces pro 4 and surfaces book are extremely cool and good

they're actually lame and very bad

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

they're actually lame and very bad

don't sign your posts. lmao

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Tab8715 posted:

I hope to God and all that is holy they ditch built-in ads, take a note from OS X and make an actual decent UI that goes beyond the 1996 Start Menu.

Or am I asking for too much?

tablet mode is this sans a good window manager

Phoenixan posted:

problem solved

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Phoenixan posted:

:chloe:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

imo they should make the start menu orange

mine is orange

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Endless Mike posted:

mine is orange

screenshot pls

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do you ever think about how loving weird it is that there's a real live six-year-old girl out there somewhere whose face is, completely through no action of her own, now a popular emoticon on a dead internet comedy forum for bitter computer people

i mean don't get me wrong i think :chloe: is one of the best ones we've got but man, what a bizarre thing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

do you ever think about how loving weird it is that there's a real live six-year-old girl out there somewhere whose face is, completely through no action of her own, now a popular emoticon on a dead internet comedy forum for bitter computer people

i mean don't get me wrong i think :chloe: is one of the best ones we've got but man, what a bizarre thing
the black guy who is the (in)famous "you gonna get raped" image macro lost his job because some doughy internet white boys thought it would be edgy to make this random person the personification of rape threats

quote:

Someone had scanned the picture of Todd from America’s Refuse and placed it online as a sort of punchline. Julius wasn’t the first Biloxi native to notice. The picture was forwarded to inboxes across town. Todd was, by then, a supervisor at the newspaper. At his next employee review, the picture surfaced. He didn’t know what to say. He was let go. William was jobless for six months after that.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i honestly thought she was dead

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

no it's the exact same philosophy: "design ui for a platform nobody uses, ham fist it into windows and then finally backpedal away from it and call it progress"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

quote:

Other things we've heard include app-elements being able to "escape" the borders of a window making for a much more unique experience.

I'm sure that won't be abused or annoying

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ADINSX posted:

I'm sure that won't be abused or annoying
those are called popups and everybody loves them

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

yeah, i guess we're overdue a complete ui rewrite, it has been 4 years afterall.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Wheany posted:

yeah, i guess we're overdue a complete ui rewrite, it has been 4 years afterall.

teh gnome philosophy

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
my favorite part of the article is this

quote:

Update: Some more information about NEON reveals that it serves as a bridge between holographic and augmented reality (AR) and the desktop environment. It's a "UI that transports across devices" with a UX that maps to the physical world. It uses textures, 3D models, lighting and more.

can't wait for the windows ui to incorporate some random floating context menus & floating cubes and spheres

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Phoenixan posted:

my favorite part of the article is this

can't wait for the windows ui to incorporate some random floating context menus & floating cubes and spheres

exclusive sneak peek L00K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJnVrk4Sxo8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I've been waiting a looong time for the futuristic UIs imagined in the mid to late 80's to become a reality

• Locked thread