Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Shangri-Law School posted:

The Lions will take out Seattle in the divisional round then host the Giants for the NFC Championship Game.

Since the Packers a trash fire this year, I am supporting the Lions in all of their endeavours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
My friends, it will indeed be the Cincinnati Bengals that will give the Browns their first win. It'll be in Cleveland, too. The people will go loving nuts. Women will get pregnant.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

shirts and skins posted:

Hmm. I think this team is markedly better than last year's, and probably about as good as 2014. They're pretty on par with what they've been putting out. They lost Lynch, but Wilson and Baldwin keep getting better together. The defense is the defense, it really hasn't changed much at all (except for this coming weekend with all the hamstring absences).

Yeah, they've put up some stinkers, but the 2013 team that blew out Peyton in the SB went down 21-0 against TB at home before coming back. They needed a brutal Schaub pick six to beat the Texans.

Cowboys are way better than they have been though. I hope that game happens, because I think the teams match up well with each other--should be a nice 31-28 game or somesuch. And given Dallas' schedule I'd be very surprised if they lost home field advantage.

Seattle is a lot worse than 2014. They are an above average team, but the NFC is such a tire fire this year that they look better than they are.

There are a lot of bad teams in the NFL the last couple years, which is why ok, but not great teams are getting a tons of wins (see: Raiders).

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

My friends, it will indeed be the Cincinnati Bengals that will give the Browns their first win. It'll be in Cleveland, too. The people will go loving nuts. Women will get pregnant.

Thank God my wife is not a Browns fan.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

MrLogan posted:

Seattle is a lot worse than 2014. They are an above average team, but the NFC is such a tire fire this year that they look better than they are.

Why? What personnel are different/worse enough that you can say they are "a lot worse"? From my eyes, they lost some overpriced o linemen (woo JR Sweezy) and Lynch, got better at WR, TE, and CB, and have basically stayed pat with everything else.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

shirts and skins posted:

Why? What personnel are different/worse enough that you can say they are "a lot worse"? From my eyes, they lost some overpriced o linemen (woo JR Sweezy) and Lynch, got better at WR, TE, and CB, and have basically stayed pat with everything else.

They lack depth, so one or two injuries seriously affect the defense because they had to let some of their good players go to afford to pay other good players. The offensive line probably worse, somehow. They aren't great at pressuring QBs. The passing game is somewhat improved, but they don't have a running like Lynch that can close out games.

Lack of depth and being hugely dependent of Wilson being mobile enough to escape constant pressure are what really hurt them though.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Lol

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

No Irish Need Imply posted:

That's a weird way of spelling Burfict will murder 2 QBs and Pryor will wildcat into a td.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

big money big clit posted:

They lack depth, so one or two injuries seriously affect the defense because they had to let some of their good players go to afford to pay other good players. The offensive line probably worse, somehow. They aren't great at pressuring QBs. The passing game is somewhat improved, but they don't have a running like Lynch that can close out games.

Lack of depth and being hugely dependent of Wilson being mobile enough to escape constant pressure are what really hurt them though.

All of those things existed in 2014, which is why Brady shat all over them in SB 49 once Avril went down with a concussion. I'm not exactly weeping for the loss of Bruce Irvin.

And yeah, Wilson being mobile enough to escape constant pressure is what's kept the team afloat since at least 2012.

This team has issues for sure, but they are by no means different or categorically worse than the ones affecting their teams in the other post-championship years.

e. ANYWAY sorry for that derail. What's the deal with the Giants? Are they actually decent, or is this one of those "won four games that maybe should have been losses" teams?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

shirts and skins posted:

This team has issues for sure, but they are by no means different or categorically worse than the ones affecting their teams in the other post-championship years.

I don't know that they're substantially worse this year, but the 2014 defense was better by basically every measure. They allowed fewer yards and points per game and had more sacks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

I don't know that they're substantially worse this year, but the 2014 defense was better by basically every measure. They allowed fewer yards and points per game and had more sacks.

The defense is still good, it's just not legendarily good. As it turns out, just having the same players doesn't mean the same results. Guys get older, have up and down years, etc. Also the special teams are worse this year than in previous years. That 2012 ST unit in particular was insanely good.

shirts and skins posted:

All of those things existed in 2014, which is why Brady shat all over them in SB 49 once Avril went down with a concussion. I'm not exactly weeping for the loss of Bruce Irvin.

And yeah, Wilson being mobile enough to escape constant pressure is what's kept the team afloat since at least 2012.

e. ANYWAY sorry for that derail. What's the deal with the Giants? Are they actually decent, or is this one of those "won four games that maybe should have been losses" teams?

It's hard to tell. Eli is a good QB and OBJ is one of the best WRs in the league, but the offensive line isn't great, the run game is pretty bad, and it's really hard to gauge the defense. They seem to be playing better, but that sudden uptick in productivity coincides with a 4-game stint against the Rams, Eagles, Bengals, and Bears, and it'll likely continue against the Browns this weekend. They're probably equal parts "lucky," "above average," and "playing an easy schedule," all totaling to "a previously unlikely playoff berth."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

a resounding counter argument. you win the day, good sir

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A healthy Rawls is better than 2014 Lynch as a runningback, but probably not in pass protection.

Cliff Avril is one of the sack leaders this season and that's without a healthy Bennett to wreak havoc on o lines. If, and that's definitely a big if, the team gets healthy for the playoffs they will be an absolute buzzsaw.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's hard to tell. Eli is a good QB and OBJ is one of the best WRs in the league, but the offensive line isn't great, the run game is pretty bad, and it's really hard to gauge the defense. They seem to be playing better, but that sudden uptick in productivity coincides with a 4-game stint against the Rams, Eagles, Bengals, and Bears, and it'll likely continue against the Browns this weekend. They're probably equal parts "lucky," "above average," and "playing an easy schedule," all totaling to "a previously unlikely playoff berth."

The Giants defense is the only reason they're winning games. It hasn't showed up in the statistics because they're basically always on the field. Total yardage has them 20th in passing yards allowed but 9th in Yards per Attempt. They're pretty stout against the run (8th and 5th, respectively).

I would hardly characterize their defense as great - they still get beat plenty down the field. But they're very capable, especially in the secondary. The pass rush is also starting to come along after weeks or being dormant. Their offense has been nothing but underwhelming (the blame goes all around there). Fortunately, the guns they have at receiver have done just enough to win.

If their offense can ever get it together (I don't suspect they will because McAdoo is in over his head), they could be fairly dangerous.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

corn on the cop posted:

The Giants defense is the only reason they're winning games. It hasn't showed up in the statistics because they're basically always on the field. Total yardage has them 20th in passing yards allowed but 9th in Yards per Attempt. They're pretty stout against the run (8th and 5th, respectively).

I would hardly characterize their defense as great - they still get beat plenty down the field. But they're very capable, especially in the secondary. The pass rush is also starting to come along after weeks or being dormant. Their offense has been nothing but underwhelming (the blame goes all around there). Fortunately, the guns they have at receiver have done just enough to win.

If their offense can ever get it together (I don't suspect they will because McAdoo is in over his head), they could be fairly dangerous.

Yeah but again, their "defense is also starting to come along" just so happens to have occurred "while playing some terrible offenses." The best indicator we have of the Giants' defense being good is the week 1 game vs. Dallas, but it looks like the Dallas offense has improved significantly since then (and played better against the Ravens and Eagles). The Steelers' game will be a good test of whether they are Actually Good or just Playing Bad Offenses. After the Browns the Giants are going to have the roughest stretch of their season, and at this point no outcome between 5-0 and 0-5 for their remaining games would surprise me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

blue squares posted:

a resounding counter argument. you win the day, good sir

It's a lot more than he'll be contributing in February

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I dunno

Convince me Seattle doesn't get beat up

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Amy Pole Her posted:

I dunno

Convince me Seattle doesn't get beat up

You will have to wait until January to eat your crow, just like all the other Dallas fans

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Bills will probably win tomorrow.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
God seeing how cocky Seahawks fans are reminds me I'm so mad we lost at the last second

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

fsif posted:

The Bills will probably win tomorrow.

gently caress yeah whagon has no breaks

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

God seeing how cocky Seahawks fans are reminds me I'm so mad we lost at the last second

:same:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Amy Pole Her posted:

It should also remind you how certain Seattle posters vanish the second their team loses

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Growing up in Seattle kind of inures you to losing. Maybe the recent bandwagoners are californians who came for the tech boom

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

got any sevens posted:

Growing up in Seattle kind of inures you to losing. Maybe the recent bandwagoners are californians who came for the tech boom

uhh sure and not the 6 year stretch of .637 ball and a super bowl win

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the last time the seahawks finished in last place in their division was 1996

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hasselbeck and wilson have 6 pro bowls between them which is probably better than any other team in the nfc west for recent qb success

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

hifi posted:

which is probably better than any other team in the nfc west for recent qb success

way to set the bar high

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

hifi posted:

hasselbeck and wilson have 6 pro bowls between them which is probably better than any other team in the nfc west for recent qb success

I mean if you think that

Jeff Garcia
Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Alex Smith
Cody Pickett
Shaun Hill
Chris Weinke
Trent Dilfer
JT O'Sullivan
Troy Smith
David Carr
Colin Kaepernick
Blaine Gabbert

corpse of Kurt Warner
Marc Bulger
Jamie Martin
Scott Covington
Chris Chandler
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Gus Frerotte
Brock Berlin
Trent Green
Kyle Boller
Keith Null
Sam Bradford
AJ Feeley
Kellen Clemens
Austin Davis
Shaun Hill (again!)
Nick Foles
Case Keenum
Jared Goff

Jake Plummer
Josh McCown
Jeff Blake
Shaun King
John Navarre
bad Kurt Warner (again!)
Matt Leinart
Tim Rattay (again!)
GOOD KURT WARNER!!! (2008 & 2009)
Derek Anderson
John Skelton
Max Hall
Kevin Kolb
Ryan Lindley
Brian Hoyer
Carson Palmer
Drew Stanton
Logan Thomas

Isn't a murderers row then I don't know what to tell you.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
That is totally a murderer's row...in that lots of fans wish they were murdered instead of watching those guys play for their team.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

whypick1 posted:

That is totally a murderer's row...in that lots of fans wish they were murdered instead of watching those guys play for their team.

skelton/hall/lindley is the new tinkers/evers/chance doncha know

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spoeank posted:

I mean if you think that

Jeff Garcia
Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Alex Smith
Cody Pickett
Shaun Hill
Chris Weinke
Trent Dilfer
JT O'Sullivan
Troy Smith
David Carr
Colin Kaepernick
Blaine Gabbert

corpse of Kurt Warner
Marc Bulger
Jamie Martin
Scott Covington
Chris Chandler
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Gus Frerotte
Brock Berlin
Trent Green
Kyle Boller
Keith Null
Sam Bradford
AJ Feeley
Kellen Clemens
Austin Davis
Shaun Hill (again!)
Nick Foles
Case Keenum
Jared Goff

Jake Plummer
Josh McCown
Jeff Blake
Shaun King
John Navarre
bad Kurt Warner (again!)
Matt Leinart
Tim Rattay (again!)
Derek Anderson
John Skelton
Max Hall
Kevin Kolb
Ryan Lindley
Brian Hoyer
Carson Palmer
Drew Stanton
Logan Thomas

Well us seattlers are just losers though

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I mean if you think that

Jeff Garcia
Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Alex Smith
Cody Pickett
Shaun Hill
Chris Weinke
Trent Dilfer
JT O'Sullivan
Troy Smith
David Carr
Colin Kaepernick
Blaine Gabbert

corpse of Kurt Warner
Marc Bulger
Jamie Martin
Scott Covington
Chris Chandler
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Gus Frerotte
Brock Berlin
Trent Green
Kyle Boller
Keith Null
Sam Bradford
AJ Feeley
Kellen Clemens
Austin Davis
Shaun Hill (again!)
Nick Foles
Case Keenum
Jared Goff

Jake Plummer
Josh McCown
Jeff Blake
Shaun King
John Navarre
bad Kurt Warner (again!)
Matt Leinart
Tim Rattay (again!)
Derek Anderson
John Skelton
Max Hall
Kevin Kolb
Ryan Lindley
Brian Hoyer
Carson Palmer
Drew Stanton
Logan Thomas

I tried to figure out the saddest player on this list and my brain gave up and shut down in defeat

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
look, man, don't besmirch the name of Jake Plummer

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Aye Doc posted:

I tried to figure out the saddest player on this list and my brain gave up and shut down in defeat

Ahhhh, I see. In the medical field that's referred to as getting "Kevin Kolbed".

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Aye Doc posted:

Probably Cody Pickett, who was more renowned for his rodeo skills than his QB play (16.4 QB rating!)

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

a neat cape posted:

look, man, don't besmirch the name of Jake Plummer

American handball legend Jake "Jake the snake Roberts" plummer

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

Probably Cody Pickett, who was more renowned for his rodeo skills than his QB play (16.4 QB rating!)

10 attempts isn't very many. they were an especially lovely set, but is that enough longevity to be the saddest? let's look at some competitors

how about Keith Null, whose own name has doomed him? 119 attempts, and a surprising 61.3% completion percentage that looks less impressive if you include his 9 passes caught by the other team and his 141.5 yards per game average, 3.67 net yards per attempt, sacked 1 in 10 times attempting to pass, 7.6 interception percentage, an 8.4 QBR. all of those numbers are so disgusting and depressing

but then you look at Max Hall, and he was sacked 15.2% of the time he dropped back. his net yards per attempt was 3.04. his adjusted net yards per attempt was 0.33! he averaged 61.7 yards per game. 7.7 interception percent. a 6.07 QBR! and you know what? I know there are worse. I don't want to dig any deeper

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The not at all fraudulent Seahawks, a team that has defeated exactly one quality opponent, is sure to win a Super Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Spoeank posted:

I mean if you think that

Jeff Garcia
Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Alex Smith
Cody Pickett
Shaun Hill
Chris Weinke
Trent Dilfer
JT O'Sullivan
Troy Smith
David Carr
Colin Kaepernick
Blaine Gabbert

God I remember Tim Rattay. He always ALWAYS threw an INT that would seal the deal for our team.

Chris Weinke.. I dont' even remember that one. I probably blocked that out.

• Locked thread