Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Onmi posted:

First: To the claim that he was thrown in at the last minute. This is dumb and stupid and you're stupid if you believe it. Vaan was the last of the player characters to be made but the first to ever be drawn.
I never said this, and in fact the essay I linked debunks it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The "Vaan's relevance" argument is definitely more interesting and has more merit than the the "mopey Cloud" because it's about the narrative presentation, and unlike "mopey Cloud," discussions around Vaan started one day one. Well before day one since FF12 had that big early leak snafu.

e: drat awful app wiped out my entire post

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 26, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FF12 has a really cool intro and I have trouble remembering much else about the story.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same because I never made it past the fifth big desert in a row

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

I think the thing with Vaan is that he's relevant in a different way than all the other members of the XII cast (except Penelo, who's really irrelevant). Everyone else is important because of who they are, their designated role in things and how they interact with each other, same as most Final Fantasy characters (VII and X, off the top of my head, are pretty much full of that).

Vaan's another type of character, he's just some guy that gets swept up in massive events and proves himself strikingly capable of fighting for what's right. There's plenty of that in older Final Fantasy games (the entire cast of II and the IIImake, Bartz, Locke...) but not really in more recent ones unless you count Tiz from Bravely Default. Vaan is still a relevant character, but it's in a more complex way, because of what he does rather than who he is.

Holy poo poo, this is a really cool point I never absorbed for some reason. Trust the guy with the Sans avatar to point out what everyone should know, I guess.

I don't want this to take away from Onmi's point, which is well elucidated. I just never put that together for some reason.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I saw there was a Xbone FF XV deal for 35, nothing for the ps4 though right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was a 'pricing error' on the Bone store so probably not.
Quotes are because it was possibly deliberate due to no one wanting the Bone version.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Holy poo poo, this is a really cool point I never absorbed for some reason. Trust the guy with the Sans avatar to point out what everyone should know, I guess.

I don't want this to take away from Onmi's point, which is well elucidated. I just never put that together for some reason.

I mean he's not wrong. When the characters in game are asking Vaan why he's there with them, it isn't a passive aggressive shot at Square. It forms a core of his character, at first he can't answer the question, out of shyness. And by the time he can answer the question, he's actually lost his subconscious relevance to the plot. The Occuria showed him Rassler (or Reks) to spur him on, so he, like Ashe, would become obsessed with regret from their suffering and use it as fuel to enact the Occuria's will (Destroy Arcades).

Vaan's role is neat, because he isn't there for a reason beyond finding his purpose, he starts growing by leaps and bounds. When in Eryut Village he tells the Viera "Either help us or get out of our way, we don't have time to play games." He actually earns Balthier's respect for getting the Viera to move. The following moment, with him asking Fran exactly how old she is? Is meant to illustrate that yeah, he is still just a kid at heart.

When the party eventually gets the Sword of the Kings, he's the first to suggest, immediately, they use it to destroy the Nethicite they already have. Ashe is incredibly hesitant to do this, because she herself has not gotten over her revenge. Since he isn't bound anymore by this quest beyond his personal desire to grow, he's able to act as Ashe's conscience basically. On the Pharos, the moment they arrive at the top, and Ashe gives her speech about the Nethicite, Vaan (Correctly) calls out that she has no desire to cut the stone. Now here's a scene where, in pure text, and blind to the models, You could get the impression Ashe is being dismissive, because she asks Vaan not to interrupt her.

But the first time they ever properly talked, Vaan tried to talk (This is when they're being arrested by the Imperials) and Ashe snaps at him to not interrupt her, the next time they meet on the Airship she has the same response, to angrily shut him down. But on the Pharos she's actually slightly smiling and her voice is very calm when she asks him not to interrupt. She's not resigned herself to it, and she's not annoyed, it's whimsical. The Ashe of then has changed from the Ashe who first met him, who was a stone hearted... well for lack of a better word, bitch. She was dismissive and disgusted by the entire party, she had revenge on her mind, and she needed it, no matter what. FFXII has really good character moments like that, that aren't appreciated because nobody paid the gently caress attention when playing the game. Well... that and the Hunts tended to make the game even more poorly paced than it already was.

The only part of his arc I didn't like was he did, in fact, become a Sky Pirate. But even that has its own sub-plot, from when he tells Balthier while their at Reddas's "Move it or we're leaving you." and then Balthier teaching him how to fly the Stahl. I still think it would have been a better ending had he found something else in life. because it makes his earlier childish comments seem legit.

Jahara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1XJerlyzUA

Pharos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehlDVP8xaQ0&t=665s

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
In the world presented and given his skills, development, and connections, becoming a "Sky Pirate" or privateer/mercenary serving his city state is actually a decent place for Vaan to end up. It just means something different than the freedom from his street urchin life that he imagined when he was younger and more naive.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

bloodychill posted:

In the world presented and given his skills, development, and connections, becoming a "Sky Pirate" or privateer/mercenary serving his city state is actually a decent place for Vaan to end up. It just means something different than the freedom from his street urchin life that he imagined when he was younger and more naive.

I don't disagree, but it didn't aid in the perception that he was earnest about it from the beginning. That said they handled it very well for Revenant Wings I feel, they got to explore a lot of things they'd left on the cutting room floor (Such as most things having to do with Penelo.) Wasn't my favourite game, but it expanded on what I don't doubt was a lot of things they had lying about once they'd finished cutting from XII.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

People also forget that Vaan has some pretty crucial scenes in helping to develop Ashe. They share a fair bit of screen time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also his fantastic bod is imperative in boosting party morale.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i will purchase final fantasy fifteen for my playstation four games console this upcoming tuesday and i will enjoy it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same

Only I'm hopefully gonna get it Monday

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

i will purchase final fantasy fifteen for my playstation four games console this upcoming tuesday and i will enjoy it.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Mega64 posted:

Also his fantastic bod is imperative in boosting party morale.

Whaaat, motherfucker clearly used some knockoff Ab-Abber 2000 type thing, those abs are clearly painted on. With dirt. Dirted on.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Sakurazuka posted:

Same because I never made it past the fifth big desert in a row

I feel like I'm one of the only people in the world who actually liked the sandsea part

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

I saw there was a Xbone FF XV deal for 35, nothing for the ps4 though right?

If you don't mind the digital version the playstation store has a blanket one time 10% off code for your entire cart.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If you don't mind the digital version the playstation store has a blanket one time 10% off code for your entire cart.

I don't know how different it is elsewhere but at least here the digital version is like a 69.95 so 10% off of that is still more expensive than buying a physical copy

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Booourns posted:

I feel like I'm one of the only people in the world who actually liked the sandsea part

I liked the Sandsea fro the entirely dumb reason that most of the enemies were the same, so you got an insane chain going. I mean, it's not very useful, but it's pretty cool.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't know why they keep putting deserts in video games

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Booourns posted:

I liked it. The gameplay actually managed to make it feel like the impossibly long journey the story said it was. I'm an unapologetic fan of 12 in general though so

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Levantine posted:

I liked it. The gameplay actually managed to make it feel like the impossibly long journey the story said it was. I'm an unapologetic fan of 12 in general though so

Agreed. It was also a nice testing bed for gambit ideas. Early on you didn't have much, but by the Sandsea you had some toys.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm making an RPG that's almost entirely on a desert. :v:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Best video game deserts:

–Breath of Fire 3

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

the desert in ff15 is gonna be one extended reference to the beginning of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I hope it arrives on the day :v:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

By law game developers have their choice of a mandatory desert or a sewer level.

FF12 went overboard and did both because of course they did.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Best video game deserts:

–Breath of Fire 3

doesn't that one have mistranslated instructions

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

I do believe so! It's been so long that it's honestly a blur but my memory of it is that it asks you to go west for three days when in fact you're supposed to go east. It's been a long time, though, more than a decade, so I can't vouch for that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Even better, there's two sets of instructions and one of them is translated incorrectly, and then the other one is correct. I don't remember which is which but your told one set of directions before you start the area, and the other set of directions is the one you can reference at any point.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Phantasium posted:

Even better, there's two sets of instructions and one of them is translated incorrectly, and then the other one is correct. I don't remember which is which but your told one set of directions before you start the area, and the other set of directions is the one you can reference at any point.

Its ridiculous too, like the wrong directions tell you to always have the red star at your back while the right ones tell you to walk towards it.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The combat in this new FF game looks pretty simple / mashy.

I haven't really touched the series since X-2, but is it too much to ask for a good story, likeable characters and an interesting battle system? I feel like VII, VIII and X did all 3, while IX and X-2 did the battle system really well.

I don't even want fancy graphics on games consoles because I know that they can't handle it at acceptable frame-rates a lot of the time (being on PC for so long, I get triggered seeing any dips below 60).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The combat in this new FF game looks pretty simple / mashy.

I haven't really touched the series since X-2, but is it too much to ask for a good story, likeable characters and an interesting battle system? I feel like VII, VIII and X did all 3, while IX and X-2 did the battle system really well.

I don't even want fancy graphics on games consoles because I know that they can't handle it at acceptable frame-rates a lot of the time (being on PC for so long, I get triggered seeing any dips below 60).

Mashing buttons is a good way to get killed. At least in the judgment demo. The combat is good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Complaining about interesting battle systems and then mention 7, 8, and 9 as poster boys is more of an indicator that action isn't your thing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'll always appreciate FF7 for giving me the ability to kill the ultimate boss with a single command.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
FF VII was actually about grinding AP to make bonkers Materia combos.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
FFXV has pretty deep combat actually, you just have to actually engage with it. It's not a Platinum game, but it's got more to it than, say, Kingdom Hearts style combat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Most people are bad at making action games good, especially any major media outlets. You have to look up combo tutorials or vids to get any sense of the actual combat potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tae posted:

Most people are bad at making action games good, especially any major media outlets. You have to look up combo tutorials or vids to get any sense of the actual combat potential.

One current example of this was Achievment Hunters Lets Watch of FFXV. First they laugh at the concept of swapping weapons mid-combo, and then the developers put them at level 40 later in the game on a cactaur quest. They were completely destroyed, followed by the developers boosting them again, where upon they only barely cleared the quest.

Dev's need to grab people like Saurian and Chip Cheezum and let them show off the combat system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAmmYQJbo8I