Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What's a good starting plan for Ethiopia? I've got plenty of neighbors I can pick on, but it seems like I'm very gold starved right out of the gate. Been a while since I've played and there are a lot of new systems in place so I'm not sure what I should be paying attention to or not.

One of your vassals has a gold province, there's a gold province in Kaffa directly south of you, there's more gold down the Kilwa coast and then you hit the jackpot in Mutapa. Get all the gold and you will be richer than god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finally england decided to actually land some troops in denmark to support my indipendence (Sweden) and I handily got free, proceeded to immediately beat up novgorod and steal some of their land, now I am waiting for my manpower and cash to recover while the truce with denmark ticks down.

Where to go from there? It's barely 1460 and this game I don't want to bother with colonization.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Finally england decided to actually land some troops in denmark to support my indipendence (Sweden) and I handily got free, proceeded to immediately beat up novgorod and steal some of their land, now I am waiting for my manpower and cash to recover while the truce with denmark ticks down.

Where to go from there? It's barely 1460 and this game I don't want to bother with colonization.

If you're playing in iron man mode, the two Swedish achievements will give you purpose and direction. Conquer the entire Baltic coast then win the religious league wars. If there's few enough Protestant powers afterwards you could even get elected Emperor and start loving around in German politics.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm trying an Ottoman world conquest 1001 provinces achievement, how does this look? Iraq, Persia and Crimea are mine. I'm kinda terrified of the moment poo poo will hit the fan and I'll face a bigger coalition than I can deal with.

I have Humanist and Quantity ideas so far, going for Administrative next. Is a Coptic/Hindu conversion worth the effort?

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 26, 2016

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Elman posted:

I'm trying an Ottoman world conquest 1001 provinces achievement, how does this look? Iraq, Persia and Crimea are mine. I'm kinda terrified of the moment poo poo will hit the fan and I'll face a bigger coalition than I can deal with.

I have Humanist and Quantity ideas so far, going for Administrative next. Is a Coptic/Hindu conversion worth the effort?

I haven't done any conversions in recent versions but once you get this big it was always tedious and probably not worth it. Also isn't the Ottos' special government tied to Islam?
Also from older versions but I don't think that coalitions should be a big problem for you at this point. Africa and India shouldn't give a lot of AE to each other.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Does 1.19 introduce new achievements?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Elman posted:

It's totally feasible; I've never done a world conquest myself but I've heard that basically no matter where you are, as long as it's before 1600 (and you've at least vaguely prepared) then it's possible, especially as the Ottomans, so 1001 provinces is extremely doable. The administrative efficiency techs make an enormous amount of difference.

That said... 1001 provinces is a lot. If this is your Ottomans at 1590 and you've been playing expansionist from the start, you really want to speed up a bit. It might help if you have El Dorado to make a 1001 province custom nation to get a picture of what it looks like, because at least I found when I did that that it's a heck of a lot more of the world than I was expecting.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Probably for the umpteenth time, but is there a beginner's strategy guide to this game somewhere on the internets made by a goon? I've always been a CK2 player, but decided to try out EUIV before I convert any CK2 games over, I started as Castille because that is recommend for beginners, yet I can't seem to make any money and just keep taking out more and more loans, and now Aragon and France are beating me up with 3 times the soldiers. :( Went through and did the tutorials, trade still doesn't really make much sense. Any help would be appreciated.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Elman posted:

Have you allied France yet? If not ally France and go hog wild on Italy.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Probably for the umpteenth time, but is there a beginner's strategy guide to this game somewhere on the internets made by a goon? I've always been a CK2 player, but decided to try out EUIV before I convert any CK2 games over, I started as Castille because that is recommend for beginners, yet I can't seem to make any money and just keep taking out more and more loans, and now Aragon and France are beating me up with 3 times the soldiers. :( Went through and did the tutorials, trade still doesn't really make much sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Castille isn't as easy as say Ottomans are. Ottomans you can just keep rolling over countries until you start to figure out how navies and trade and stuff works.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Turn military maintenance off when you're not at war. Forts too, probably.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah i think that's luck of the irish in the bag :discourse:

should i form ireland or is it funnier to dunk on england as leinster hmm

e: by the way the Exodus strategy is for babies

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i am pretty sure going to america is literally always harder than staying in europe

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

oddium posted:

yeah i think that's luck of the irish in the bag :discourse:

should i form ireland or is it funnier to dunk on england as leinster hmm

e: by the way the Exodus strategy is for babies

Leinster has a much better color than ireland :c00l:

Also the transparent map mod updated, for anybody that uses that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What are some good quality of life mods? It's hard finding anything that's kept up to date. Also can you apply stuff like that mid-game?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I know the Paradox folks post and read here occasionally, and I am wondering how difficult it would be to add the Heresy religions from the CKII converter to the nation designer? Or failing that, is there any simple way (like a console command) I could use to switch a country's religion to one of the neat heresies that the CKII converter has?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PleasingFungus posted:

Turn military maintenance off when you're not at war. Forts too, probably.

Playing an Abenaki game and owning most of North America and forts are such a pain in the rear end. Too few and Europeans just spread out and carpet siege all your provinces with 1 stack armies while you march for months to intercept. Build enough forts to lock down a continent and you're paying crazy cash. Pretty sure I'm paying more for forts than anything else, and I'm building most of them a couple levels old just to save cash and lock the invaders down long enough to get forces in the area.

The Spanish/French/Portuguese and assorted colonial states is not a fun alliance to face. :lol:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Does 1.19 introduce new achievements?

No, new achievements generally only get introduced with DLC patches

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The AI still cheats with forts. I tried to follow an AI allied army, but since I can't legally follow their path, we got separated. :smith:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright so I need some advice from the pros. This is my situation as Mali right now:

I am going for the Four Colonies in South America achievement. Timbuktu and Kanem Bornu are my vassals. I have barely been able to keep up in tech / with institutions but I am pretty much on tech parity. I am the 4th greatest power in the world, behind Ottomans, Spain, and France (in that order). Spain declared on my colonial nation in Brazil and brought in Portugal and France, of course, because that was a really common thing in 1571 :rolleyes:. I have....Morocco on my side. They have 50k+ troops in Brazil; my entire navy got sank in the first month of the war because :eu4ai:.

I am poor as gently caress, barely being able to maintain 20k troops, 3 forts, 10 Barques, and 10 transports. The Ottomans wont ally me because I am too weak Militarily even though I rivalled two of their rivals, Spain and France, and tunneled to the Med through central Africa. How hosed am I?

I backed up a save from before rivalling Spain and France and I am thinking I need to tunnel through to East Africa or build a colony to push in the Congo area to build up more? I am maxed out on states, though so I dont feel like that will help me. My trade income is pitiful and I see no way of improving it without already first being super powerful.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 27, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Couple of options. You should double check exactly how far away you are from allying the Ottomans.

Money problems: You can tunnel east and conquer the Horn for the gold then south to the Zimbabwe trade node and bottleneck all trade coming from Asia around the Cape there. Alternatively, annex Timbuktu and conquer your way to Morroco so you can collect in Seville (which puts you within spitting distance of Spain, unfortunately). You're really big so even if you lose your Colonial holdings in South America you got lots of time to swing back and grab them.

Basically you have no friends but you really need some. Austria and Burgundy might be able to help as well?

Fat Albert
Jun 19, 2004
Anybody got any advice for my first attempt at a Muscovy game? Idea groups to take, opening moves etc? Should I be aiming to form Russia asap? And what the heck is patriarch authority?

Currently thinking religious first, then maybe.. exploration and admin. Is that acceptable?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Beamed posted:

The AI still cheats with forts. I tried to follow an AI allied army, but since I can't legally follow their path, we got separated. :smith:

I don't know if that's necessarily cheating so much as just forts being weird and inconsistent. I've had time where I've had two stacks on the same fort province and one will be able to move to an adjacent province but the won't be able to. Or in my current game I was able to move a stack off an enemy fort into an adjacent province the first time I tried it, but trying to move the same stack off the same fort into the same province a little later on wouldn't work.

Fat Albert posted:

Anybody got any advice for my first attempt at a Muscovy game? Idea groups to take, opening moves etc? Should I be aiming to form Russia asap? And what the heck is patriarch authority?

Currently thinking religious first, then maybe.. exploration and admin. Is that acceptable?

Been a while since I played Muscovy but you don't really need exploration. Siberia's not so great that you need to rush to colonise it. You get a colonist from your NIs anyway. If you want to speed that along a bit, Expansion is probably a better pick since you get an extra merchant, trade power and state maintenance. Also I pretty much always get a military set (ie Defensive) for my third pick. Your troops will need all the help they can get beating Western super troops.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 27, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Alright so I need some advice from the pros. This is my situation as Mali right now:

I am going for the Four Colonies in South America achievement. Timbuktu and Kanem Bornu are my vassals. I have barely been able to keep up in tech / with institutions but I am pretty much on tech parity. I am the 4th greatest power in the world, behind Ottomans, Spain, and France (in that order). Spain declared on my colonial nation in Brazil and brought in Portugal and France, of course, because that was a really common thing in 1571 :rolleyes:. I have....Morocco on my side. They have 50k+ troops in Brazil; my entire navy got sank in the first month of the war because :eu4ai:.

I am poor as gently caress, barely being able to maintain 20k troops, 3 forts, 10 Barques, and 10 transports. The Ottomans wont ally me because I am too weak Militarily even though I rivalled two of their rivals, Spain and France, and tunneled to the Med through central Africa. How hosed am I?

I backed up a save from before rivalling Spain and France and I am thinking I need to tunnel through to East Africa or build a colony to push in the Congo area to build up more? I am maxed out on states, though so I dont feel like that will help me. My trade income is pitiful and I see no way of improving it without already first being super powerful.

Mali colonial Brazil is called Mazil?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fat Albert posted:

Don't do exploration, and take a military NI that makes your troops better and nothing else matters

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

God drat that's unlucky. Or maybe I was extremely lucky. I've been riding on good events and high stab the whole way through. It's 1550ish for me and I can break even with a 60k army and level 2 advisors. As soon as I uncovered Europe: France, Scotland, Portugal, and Castille all lined up to be my friends. We were united in our hatred of the huge England, who were the target of a couple coalitions that they fended off against all odds.

Trade in west Africa doesn't seem like it can go very far, I don't think it ever went higher than 15% of my income. I ignored colonizing in Africa altogether to try to hopefully get faster institutions from the euros colonizing the ivory coast, though that didn't seem to help because like in your picture they kept one province uncolonized as a buffer which is really weird.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fat Albert posted:

Kazan has a gold mine, and a Permian core, so they are a nice target to get early-ish. Lock down Tver, Ryazan, and Odoyev fairly quickly so that they don't ally Poland or something crazy. Usually the Golden Horde will eat Ryazan fast, so maybe prioritize them.

The first thing you should do is eat Novgorod, though. I've noticed that recently Denmark is eating a giant chunk of them fairly early. Denmark, or Sweden if they get loose, can build up a lot of steam sometimes. You're going to have to deal with Poland/Lithuania already, so you want to minimize Scandinavian power as much as possible. Eat Novgorod, then strike at Sweden or Norway when Sweden declares independence. For ideas I would take Defensive first (or Offensive I guess) then I am usually temped by Influence ideas. Religious is great because you'll be able to use it to expand in every direction. I usually like to vassal feed because admin points are more useful than diplo points. Plus if you're taking Religious ideas you won't be able to take Admin for the coring discount for a while.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Are mods in the launcher constantly screwed up for anyone else? It seems to randomly select mods I haven't used or 'phantom' select them, where they looked checked, but I have to click them twice to actually deactivate them.

EDIT: Might be related to mods updating. :iiam:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 27, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fat Albert posted:

Religious ideas first, Defensive second. Economic third if you can swing it, Trade at some point. Don't bother with Explo, you're better off just spending those points on development.

Take the Conquer Novgorod mission first, diplovassalize Oka, then conquer Novgorod. The Hordes are total pushovers, conquer them once you have the 4th religious idea.

You're only serious threat is Poland-Lithuania, but they have land you want to conquer ASAP. Allying with Sweden is a good idea, Ottomans if possible, though the latter will eventually be your only competition. Avoid fighting them until they get Janissary Decline.

Leave your main port in the Novgorod zone, but also collect in Kazan. Prepping for Institution spread will save you a lot of points; be proactive about building trade buildings, Manufactories and Universities.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 27, 2016

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Can anyone explain the rationale behind rebel sizes? Playing a game as Ethiopia, dealing with a lot of rebellions, which is fine. Had one pop in Ajuuraan not long after I finished annexing them and it was... 29k strong.

What.

There are three nations in my little corner of the known world that can field an army that large - myself (39), the Mamluks (42) and the Timurids (34). I can appreciate an army that large appearing via event or disaster, but as a random rebel popup? Really? It's 1496 - random dudes are not going to muster up a professional, well equipped army with a great general out of thin air. The nation of Ajuuraan itself was barely capable of fielding an army a third of that size!

Sorry, little salty and bewildered. I beat them, but I'm having a hard time getting past the fact I had to fight them at all.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Has the newest patch fixed annexations being interrupted by provinces being conquered yet?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Wilekat posted:

Can anyone explain the rationale behind rebel sizes? Playing a game as Ethiopia, dealing with a lot of rebellions, which is fine. Had one pop in Ajuuraan not long after I finished annexing them and it was... 29k strong.

What.

There are three nations in my little corner of the known world that can field an army that large - myself (39), the Mamluks (42) and the Timurids (34). I can appreciate an army that large appearing via event or disaster, but as a random rebel popup? Really? It's 1496 - random dudes are not going to muster up a professional, well equipped army with a great general out of thin air. The nation of Ajuuraan itself was barely capable of fielding an army a third of that size!

Sorry, little salty and bewildered. I beat them, but I'm having a hard time getting past the fact I had to fight them at all.

Are rebels not really poo poo? I'd assumed that the actual army would be a cut above them and they'd be heavily reliant on numbers.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Wilekat posted:

What.

I don't know for sure, but I've always felt that rebellion sizes have some relation to your force limit.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Koramei posted:

That said... 1001 provinces is a lot. If this is your Ottomans at 1590 and you've been playing expansionist from the start, you really want to speed up a bit. It might help if you have El Dorado to make a 1001 province custom nation to get a picture of what it looks like, because at least I found when I did that that it's a heck of a lot more of the world than I was expecting.

That was 1509 actually. This is 1560:

That's 221 provinces, ~260 if you count Crimea and Persia.

The coalitions are kind of getting annoying. I can handle them so far but since I have no forts I can't let them ever gang up on me at the same time. I should expand more into Europe and Africa.

But yeah, 1001 should be doable if I don't run into a coalition war of doom.

Elman fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 27, 2016

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

How long has this been in the game

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Wilekat posted:

What.

Well, rebels need to be an actual problem or what's the use? If you have 39k troops then 29k rebels shouldn't be a problem. There is a formula in the wiki that gives rebel size.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tendronai posted:

How long has this been in the game

Holy poo poo

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Hey cool there's still weird poo poo with the AI bypassing your fort's zone of control

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

uPen posted:

Mali colonial Brazil is called Mazil?
I named it that. Was torn between that, Malzil, or Brazali.

Eej posted:

Couple of options. You should double check exactly how far away you are from allying the Ottomans.

Money problems: You can tunnel east and conquer the Horn for the gold then south to the Zimbabwe trade node and bottleneck all trade coming from Asia around the Cape there. Alternatively, annex Timbuktu and conquer your way to Morroco so you can collect in Seville (which puts you within spitting distance of Spain, unfortunately). You're really big so even if you lose your Colonial holdings in South America you got lots of time to swing back and grab them.

Basically you have no friends but you really need some. Austria and Burgundy might be able to help as well?
My inflation has been stuck above 10% for a long time so more gold wont help - its been part of the problem because of all of the bad inflation events I have been hit with. I am thinking of attacking Touggourt, who is allied to Tunis, who is allied to the Ottomans. I would use the war to grab some land and break Tunis's alliance with the Ottomans and hope that changes their opinion of me. I'm okay with losing my colonial possessions I am just worried that with the way EU4 works, the Spanish and French will come for my mainland, too, and take some good stuff from me.

No other European powers give a poo poo about me, the Ottomans were by best bet because they are so powerful and also the same religion.

Odobenidae posted:

God drat that's unlucky. Or maybe I was extremely lucky. I've been riding on good events and high stab the whole way through. It's 1550ish for me and I can break even with a 60k army and level 2 advisors. As soon as I uncovered Europe: France, Scotland, Portugal, and Castille all lined up to be my friends. We were united in our hatred of the huge England, who were the target of a couple coalitions that they fended off against all odds.

Trade in west Africa doesn't seem like it can go very far, I don't think it ever went higher than 15% of my income. I ignored colonizing in Africa altogether to try to hopefully get faster institutions from the euros colonizing the ivory coast, though that didn't seem to help because like in your picture they kept one province uncolonized as a buffer which is really weird.
I feel like I have been pretty unlucky - the alliances in West Africa, events, rulers, ect. I've been leveraging my Estates like a pro but I can only milk so much out of them. I have disinherited a good half dozen heirs, if not more.

I think I will start a new game and take what I have learned to simply git gud faster. It took me forever to fill out Exploration because I was so diplo-point starved between trying to develop, keep up in diplo tech to keep my rear end in a top hat vassals from being even more annoying assholes, annex vassals, and peace deals. Therefore I think I will go for Economic first to help keep bad events away, have more money, and therefor be more stable and strong - keep my vassals in line, fight my enemies better with bigger armies, and have fewer bad events from inflation. Then once I take Exploration second I can go for wherever the Euros are not, yet, and hope that keeps them off of my back. I have my capital Joma up to 55 development and definitely could have optimized how and when I developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fintilgin posted:

Are mods in the launcher constantly screwed up for anyone else? It seems to randomly select mods I haven't used or 'phantom' select them, where they looked checked, but I have to click them twice to actually deactivate them.

EDIT: Might be related to mods updating. :iiam:

Yeah it's for mods updating, when you scroll down you see it's always the ones with the download bar. I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually activate them, it's just a visual glitch. That said I compulsively untick them anyway so I'm not 100% sure.

Elman posted:

That was 1509 actually. This is 1560:

That's 221 provinces, ~260 if you count Crimea and Persia.

The coalitions are kind of getting annoying. I can handle them so far but since I have no forts I can't let them ever gang up on me at the same time. I should expand more into Europe and Africa.

But yeah, 1001 should be doable if I don't run into a coalition war of doom.

Oh poo poo my bad, I totally misread that. You can totally manage a world conquest at that pace then if the prospect actually appeals to you. Personally even doing 1001 killed my desire to play EU4 for a few months, it's unbelievably mind numbing.

For coalitions, declare wars the day the truces end and you won't get them.

• Locked thread