Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Polyakov posted:

The ships will only go up in value, think of it like an investment that you also get to play for fun......eventually, maybe.

FTFY

e: New CIG concept

ripptide fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Wrecked Angle posted:

Guys, I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I've just been on the RSI website and they have this great 'Intro pack'. Might pick this up while I can to get a head start in the PU.

But then that got me thinking that maybe I should buy these instead...

Help me out here goons! Which should I spend my hard earned disposable income on?

GTA 5 + CIV 6 alone will probably last you longer than any SC ships. The rest are just gravy.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

it's a compromise of sorts

I fear than by the time this thing release, everybody who's really interested in this dumpster fire will walk out of the gate with an Idris. Balance will go flying out the window on day 1.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He made one for me.

Was it fidelitous?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

aleksendr posted:

I fear than by the time this thing release, everybody who's really interested in this dumpster fire will walk out of the gate with an Idris. Balance will go flying out the window on day 1.

Did you know that large ships like The 890jump will only have ONE manufactured a month in the entire verse? Buy Now!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

aleksendr posted:

GTA 5 + CIV 6 alone will probably last you longer than any SC ships. The rest are just gravy.

I dunno man, I'm still quite tempted by those sweet, sweet ship jpegs.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wrecked Angle posted:

Guys, I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I've just been on the RSI website and they have this great 'Intro pack'. Might pick this up while I can to get a head start in the PU.

Help me out here goons! Which should I spend my hard earned disposable income on?

That collection has The Division in it and is therefore obviously the worse option.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

That collection has The Division in it and is therefore obviously the worse option.

Hey now, The Division is a decent enough game until you get to lvl 30, that is.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Wrecked Angle posted:

This is like the best argument against the lunacy that is the ship-price tags I've seen.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I backed Star Citizen and was considering picking up The Division. I'm like a nexus for retarded bad game purchasing decisions.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Hooray! Cannot wait for 2015! :toot:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

aleksendr posted:

There won't be a day 1.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

I backed Star Citizen and was considering picking up The Division. I'm like a nexus for retarded bad game purchasing decisions.

Lethality, is that you?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The Division is fine. Even more so for 20 bucks. If it had a subscription thingy, it'd be a problem but it doesn't so that's fine.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

BigglesSWE posted:

This is like the best argument against the lunacy that is the ship-price tags I've seen.

I know you're looking at that list and thinking 'wow, there's literally thousands of hours entertainment there' and you'd be right. However, have you considered how many hours of entertainment you could get from owning your very own Constellation Aquila? Not only is it everything you need to get around this star system, but is also fully equipped to take you to the next!*

*Next system not yet available. Please refer to our frequently updated timelines for estimated delay status.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Polyakov posted:

The ships will only go up in value, think of it like an investment that you also get to play for fun!

I forgot which article it was but in the comments a citizen actually made the argument that since the game will take so long to complete if you take inflation into account it's actually cheaper than any AAA game. By that time you may forget you bought the game entirely so risky strategy imo.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WTvS6nSSvQ&t=37s

I thought those were lights flickering but it actually might be artifacting??

Can't get over this guy's eyebrows. And of course the amazing magnetic dad shirt and jacket

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795907&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

The division is good now. They pretty much fixed all the major complaints. It changed so much a new thread was started for it because the old thread is completely irrelevant now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

it's a compromise of sorts

CIG should be very, very concerned that these aren't selling as quickly as before.

Everyone else should be concerned they're selling at all.

orcinus posted:

Was it fidelitous?

It's pretty nice, with a distressed image of the FLJK Goonrathi logo on it. I use it to remind me that I've wasted my life.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

thinkhappythoughtsthinkhappythoughtsthinkhappythoughtsthinkhappythoughtsthinkhappythoughtsthinkhappythoughtsthinkhappythoughtsthinkhappythoughts

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

cool new Polack jokes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WTvS6nSSvQ&t=37s

I thought those were lights flickering but it actually might be artifacting??

Can't get over this guy's eyebrows. And of course the amazing magnetic dad shirt and jacket

Eugh, the whole thing is just loving horrible. It's just really, really bad. Shitizens go on about how CIG take their time but then put out great content, but they don't. Everything they release just looks like B-grade crap.

With all their loving million $$$ mo-cap and christ-knows how many artists they should be delivering cut scenes which could drop into a feature film. Yet despite the fact they do crappy 2 minute videos with 1 character, what they put out looks like it was thrown together by enthusiastic amateurs at best. They are so far away from the 'uncanny valley' that they could be in a separate star system.

And you just know that next year millions more will be thrown at this 'let's use mo-cap so I can play at being director' horseshit with the same terrible results.

Give it up Crobberts, you're a has-been turned conman. Stop robbing sad nerds of their money.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Wrecked Angle posted:

You have good taste in games, but horrible taste in JPEGs.

Tippis posted:

But yeah, not everyone can be 100% correct. With an exception for Chris Roberts of course.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wrecked Angle posted:

Give it up Crobberts, you're a has-been turned conman. Stop robbing sad nerds of their money.

Why on Earth would he stop? The only thing that's going to stop CR from pushing this thing are charges or bankruptcy.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Wrecked Angle posted:

:drat:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wrecked Angle posted:

Please add another game to that list so we can say "well at least the ship package is cheaper"

Also "RSI Intro Pack" :laffo:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Please add another game to that list so we can say "well at least the ship package is cheaper"

For the prospective backers who simply want to get their feet wet but not fully commit to the vision. That'll be 250 bucks.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Star Citizen is going to be released on christmas!! :pgabz:

:popeye::eyepop:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Something I've always wondered when they show themselves dragging the supposed sun around in their videos to change the time of day on a planet: they say this is a real sun so does that mean if another camera was out in space would they see this massive sun model being dragged around at like millions of mph? From how responsive it is in the editor I can't see how it's not just a little light that looks like a distant sun but that's not what they claim right?

You're exactly right, it's a skybox and not an actual sun in space. For me it sets off a big SCAM ALERT, because this is willful deception in misrepresenting what they're showing. Because they're not saying it's a sun in a universe. They're just showing it and we're left to draw our own conclusions. If you're a backer, you want to believe it's real.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Replace Stellaris with Elite: Dangerous, its cheaper.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

happyhippy posted:

Replace Stellaris with Elite: Dangerous, its cheaper.

I think you'll find E:D with its yearly DLC is so expensive Star Citizen will be end up being cheaper

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I'd be legit surprised 2.6 actually releases this year.

Jesus christ in June I thought 2.7 was a bit of a stretch but they might get it done. I knew SQ42 had 0 chance.

At gamescom in August I thought wow theres no way they get 3.0 in, but 2.6 is a lock.

At citcon 2.6 is not even remotely close and they cant show a small vid of sq42.

And here we are about in Dec. Assuming their normal patch cycle starts tmw with no blockers (their timeline is a lie that just arbitrarily shortened testing phases as stuff slips), no 2.6 this year.

Also arent we supposed to have a brand new wbsite with VOIP and a Discord-killer "definitely expected before xmas"?

lol

Think of all the features and things that were billed as going in this year. We really have almost none of it. But they just keep renaming patches and redoing schedules so the goldfish memory citizens think its a new thing that "of course will get delayed thats game dev"

A dude on reddit said about the 2.6 timeline. "Its only been delayed once thats game development" 0 memory at all.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Seeing the world through the same eyes as these people would be kind of frightening.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Some even have a completely wrong idea of what 2.6 was suppose to have because in their heads they merged it with 2.7 thinking that 3.0 was its own independent thing.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

I'd be legit surprised 2.6 actually releases this year.

Jesus christ in June I thought 2.7 was a bit of a stretch but they might get it done. I knew SQ42 had 0 chance.

At gamescom in August I thought wow theres no way they get 3.0 in, but 2.6 is a lock.

At citcon 2.6 is not even remotely close and they cant show a small vid of sq42.

And here we are about in Dec. Assuming their normal patch cycle starts tmw with no blockers (their timeline is a lie that just arbitrarily shortened testing phases as stuff slips), no 2.6 this year.

Also arent we supposed to have a brand new wbsite with VOIP and a Discord-killer "definitely expected before xmas"?

lol

Think of all the features and things that were billed as going in this year. We really have almost none of it. But they just keep renaming patches and redoing schedules so the goldfish memory citizens think its a new thing that "of course will get delayed thats game dev"

A dude on reddit said about the 2.6 timeline. "Its only been delayed once thats game development" 0 memory at all.

No you see they're just "internal timelines that are purposely aggressive", according to some reddiots. It's almost like they know gently caress all about development

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Remember when they were going to have monthly patches? So 2.6 was the big June patch in theory. In practice it's almost December already and it's nowhere to be seen. It's not that the backers will never know, it's that the backers are incapable of remembering.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Some even have a completely wrong idea of what 2.6 was suppose to have because in their heads they merged it with 2.7 thinking that 3.0 was its own independent thing.

Star Marine will get Star Marined into 3.0, together with a whole bunch of other effort crap.

"2.6" will be released with a couple new ships and the Grimhex bar, plus a couple xml tweaks Flight Model 2.0 and much much more also have you heard of our new concept sale?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AlmightyPants posted:

Remember when they were going to have monthly patches? So 2.6 was the big June patch in theory. In practice it's almost December already and it's nowhere to be seen. It's not that the backers will never know, it's that the backers are incapable of remembering.

No that was just a very ambitious visionary effort on CIG's part, you can't expect them to deliver that stuff. On the other hand, this 2.6 timeline sounds totally reasonable and I'll believe it until the very second when it's delayed again.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
It seems like sometimes they are working on 3.0 and 2.6 at the same time? I don't get that poo poo at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
At CIG, development progress slows the more work is completed. They can only ever approach a milestone, never reach it. Conversely, work speeds up the further away from any sort of goal or product they get.

• Locked thread