Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Brian Kelly angling for that Houston job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Is there any way for Notre Dame to lose its aura as a great program among the media?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mike_V posted:

Is there any way for Notre Dame to lose its aura as a great program among the media?

Lol no, see their last national championship appearance.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

R.D. Mangles posted:

please change the thread title to NCAA Coaching Carousel: yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw football

Divine Secrets of the Yaw-Yaw Sisterhood

I've suggested this before but Mourning View turned it down because he has a secret agenda

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

What about the rumors about Holgo

Lol?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spacebump posted:

Lol no, see their last national championship appearance.

That was in like 1988 or something.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mike_V posted:

If Ty Willingham/Charlie Weis couldn't kill that program nothing will

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Benne posted:

If Ty Willingham couldn't kill that program nothing will

what about a fleet of forklifts

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Lets just fire Mac, hire Holgo and Strong as co-head coaches and rule the universe forever

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
How about Tennessee? I figure Jones should be on the hot seat after losing to Vandy.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Helfrich out

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/802737188928634880

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kiffin to Oregon, then?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

He probably would have made it if he hadn't lost to Oregon State.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Petrino to Oregon?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

General Dog posted:

I've suggested this before but Mourning View turned it down because he has a secret agenda

I swear this was the title the year USC fired Kiffin

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

LeeMajors posted:

Petrino to Oregon?

This makes a lot of sense

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oregon is quietly a super-insular program -- their last hires have all been in-house promotions, from Chip succeeding Belotti to Helfrich succeeding Chip.

Prepare to be underwhelmed, no matter how much bark Phil Knight has.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

with the niners a complete shitpile, what are the odds kelly just goes back home

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
If Fleck is gonna leave WMU, I really hope it's for Oregon.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

How about Tennessee? I figure Jones should be on the hot seat after losing to Vandy.

He is but won't get fired. Tennessee is also on an AD hunt, so it would be chaos to go for a new coach. Plus the season hasn't been THAT bad. But tonight hurt and he's definitely on the hot seat.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Lotta reports coming out about how shadily Tom Herman handled this whole situation. Apparently reneged on a handshake deal he had with LSU so that's why they pulled their offer. Also had actually talked to LSU before the game on Friday and lied to that reporter about it on national tv.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Lessail posted:

Your entire team came out flat and uninspired against your instate rival. Get out of here Sanchez and take your players that don't care with you.

Your team couldn't loving run the ball against the worst run defense in the country. Isn't that a novel idea, negating your weakness? How about you try that sometime you loving hack. Shove your Ferttita money up your rear end.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Daric posted:

Lotta reports coming out about how shadily Tom Herman handled this whole situation. Apparently reneged on a handshake deal he had with LSU so that's why they pulled their offer. Also had actually talked to LSU before the game on Friday and lied to that reporter about it on national tv.

This isnt Coogfans. You dont have to explain to us that the sky is blue, water is wet, and college football head coaches are loving mercenaries. God drat it I loving hate Coogfans, Art Briles are you loving serious?

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
Hey when's Willie Taggart gonna get hired by someone? That guy made Western Kentucky bowl eligible only a couple years after they were the worst team in FBS, then went to USF and set a school record for wins three years after they went 2-10. I'd love to see him at Oregon and see what he can do on offense like he's done at USF but I never hear his name being thrown out as a high end coaching candidate.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Daric posted:

So they pulled their offer after he had already backed out of the deal? I bet he was devastated. I wonder if they told him right into his eyes.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Daric posted:

To be honest none of that seems particularly shady for the industry.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

This isnt Coogfans. You dont have to explain to us that the sky is blue, water is wet, and college football head coaches are loving mercenaries. God drat it I loving hate Coogfans, Art Briles are you loving serious?

I will give up my season tickets and shift all of my donations to basketball if we hire Art loving Briles

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

curried lamb of God posted:

I will give up my season tickets and shift all of my donations to basketball if we hire Art loving Briles

I already pulled out of the alumni association for UT once the whole "lets let college kids bring guns on campus" thing passed.

Still watch them on TV when I can but am not going back to campus or giving money in any way to the program from here on out. Sucks.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
What's the Georgia situation looking like? I'm sure they must be furious at Smart for losing to GaTech

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Spintzel posted:

What's the Georgia situation looking like? I'm sure they must be furious at Smart for losing to GaTech

He beat South Carolina and Auburn, both of which are pretty important games for Georgia. Also beat UNC to start the year. All with a new QB. No panic yet, I'd imagine.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Daric posted:

He sounds like the perfect fit for an SEC team, based on the things you say. Hopefully the late season collapse he had at Houston becomes a standard when he's at Texas :). Honestly, I'm kind of upset that he picked Texas over LSU. A good Texas team is bad for CU, since that is one of our main recruiting bases.

Anyway, that's kinda crazy that Helfrich gets fired just two years after getting to the national title game and just one year after a 9 win season. Who does Oregon think they are, Alabama?

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 27, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

Let's make "told them right at their eyes" a catchphrase. I enjoy that one.

IDK if Herman is gonna be the truth or not but it seems obvious that we needed to make a change and Herman is obvious choice as far as a guy who understands the football scene in the state of Texas.

I'm hoping he has the sense not to run Shane Buechele all the time but if he can coach up a 3rd string QB to championship level I guess that gives him license to get a QB murdered now and again.

his offense doesn't work without a QB who can run

General Dog posted:

i didn't name the thread you weirdo

Ehud posted:

Kiffin to Oregon, then?

oregon can do way better, why would they do that?

do sec fans just not know the names of people who do not currently work in the sec because that would actually explain a lot about recent hires

Prozach posted:

Hey when's Willie Taggart gonna get hired by someone? That guy made Western Kentucky bowl eligible only a couple years after they were the worst team in FBS, then went to USF and set a school record for wins three years after they went 2-10. I'd love to see him at Oregon and see what he can do on offense like he's done at USF but I never hear his name being thrown out as a high end coaching candidate.

I think he'd have been in the running for FSU if they'd lost Jimbo to LSU. I think he'd probably be a few rungs down Oregon's search, but he should definitely be near the top for any 2nd or 3rd tier P5 job that opens, especially if it's in Florida or the Southeast. He'd have made a lot of sense at Kentucky but I think Stoops probably saved his job.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 27, 2016

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

do sec fans just not know the names of people who do not currently work in the sec because that would actually explain a lot about recent hires

It's the same way with lower tier Big 10 teams going through that decade long stretch where they thought the only available coaches were from the MAC

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Spintzel posted:

Yeah the loss to Tech is a joke. Should have won both Tech and Tennessee games this year. Also losing to Vandy? Should have lost to U.K. and made it full circle. Instead we're even more middle of the pack while the East is not good. He's got a new QB and is no way on the hot seat now but he's left a lot to be desired. He looked very much like a first time HC this year. I know Chaney takes a lot of poo poo but whatever. I'm more worried about bringing in an all defensive staff and fielding one of the worst defenses in the entire conference. Blah blah Richt left behind X and we need Y. Those excuses don't really work when you are paid Z million of dollars. Too early to tell (and god I hope it's not true) but we could have just brought back Ray Goff.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

DrunkPanda posted:

Anyway, that's kinda crazy that Helfrich gets fired just two years after getting to the national title game and just one year after a 9 win season. Who does Oregon think they are, Alabama?
It's readily apparent that Helfrich just rode Mariota and Chip's coattails to the title game.

Chip's coaching and recruiting was good enough that Helfrich could keep the illusion up for a little while, but that fell apart extremely fast. If Oregon isn't down in Santa Clara begging for Chip to come back they're incredibly dumb and deserve to fall off a cliff.

Oregon's recruiting base isn't very good so they need a stellar recruiter. Their brand is fast offense so they need a guy who gets that. So, realistically, if they can't bring Chippy back, they should probably go all in on PJ Fleck, which is probably a good fit for both parties. Fleck isn't a slam dunk hire, but even if he doesn't work out he'll leave behind some good players for the next dude.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Daric posted:

That ESPN thing was maybe the most unprofessional interview I think I've ever seen and I think it's a point in his favor that he merely lied to the reporter instead of telling him to go gently caress himself.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's readily apparent that Helfrich just rode Mariota and Chip's coattails to the title game.

Chip's coaching and recruiting was good enough that Helfrich could keep the illusion up for a little while, but that fell apart extremely fast. If Oregon isn't down in Santa Clara begging for Chip to come back they're incredibly dumb and deserve to fall off a cliff.

Oregon's recruiting base isn't very good so they need a stellar recruiter. Their brand is fast offense so they need a guy who gets that. So, realistically, if they can't bring Chippy back, they should probably go all in on PJ Fleck, which is probably a good fit for both parties. Fleck isn't a slam dunk hire, but even if he doesn't work out he'll leave behind some good players for the next dude.

I don't think that Oregon job is a good job, it is the new Nebraska. USCw level expectations with USCe level recruiting.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spintzel posted:

They fired Richt for consistently finishing with better records than Smart gave them so yeah, they're pissed. But not enough to put him on the hot seat. I doubt they'll fire him next year too unless next season is a complete collapse. If there's no improvement in 2018 I figure they'll be looking at other options, though.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Pakled posted:

They fired Richt for consistently finishing with better records than Smart gave them so yeah, they're pissed. But not enough to put him on the hot seat. I doubt they'll fire him next year too unless next season is a complete collapse. If there's no improvement in 2018 I figure they'll be looking at other options, though.

Is Kirby really really christian? That's saved Richt a couple times in the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Purdue should hire Chris Creighton imo

• Locked thread