Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Friendly Humour posted:

Could the Gulf states maybe carry some of the burden? Maybe as Zakat? cheers!

Lmao no. If there's one thing the Gulf States hate more than women it's poor people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Now that Erdogan's threatening to release the migrant hordes on Greece and Europe perhaps the EU could kindly tell him to gently caress off?

Please don't refer to war refugees as "hordes".

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Lmao no. If there's one thing the Gulf States hate more than women it's poor people.

You'd think that the whole "islamic fundamentalism" outlook would extend to, you know the fundamentals of islam... But no, apparently that's optional.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Please don't refer to war refugees as "hordes".

They dont necessary have to be war refugees, most likely not at all, since most migrants arnt from syria

Syria counts for 14% i think of the migrants

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Don't refer to human beings as hordes then, jesus christ.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Don't refer to human beings as hordes then, jesus christ.

What if they're Mongols?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

OhFunny posted:

The Second Congo War is also called the Great War of Africa, Great African War, and the African World War.

Going off that somewhat similar proxy war this is the Great War for Syria, Great Middle Eastern War, World War of the Middle East.

always thought The Levantine War had a nice ring to it, myself.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

The next Turkish coup can't happen soon enough, what's the schedule, Brown Moses?

There won't be one. The Turkish military is pretty much entirely Erdogan's, and has been since they had that purge of Kemalist officers years ago. The recent one was a really pathetic attempt by a few leftovers.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

always thought The Levantine War had a nice ring to it, myself.

War of the Fertile Crescent.

The only peaceful area here is Jordan, and kinda mainland Egypt if we ignore the post-revolutionary violence there.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 25, 2016

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

A helpful map to explain what the hell is going on around Al Bab:

Basically, Euphrates Shield is attempting an encirclement of Al Bab while also trying to push the SDF back on two fronts. They're leaving themselves super exposed to counterattacks by doing this, especially since they're bypassing Qabasin with an extremely long and thin salient. They're also running a serious risk of those salients getting cut off and having the forward forces isolated.

E: In addition, note the location of the Syrian Army airstrike, right at the base of the salient. The SDF has done encircling attacks before, but they had coalition air power in support of them, and no opposing air-force. Euphrates Shield has to worry about the SAA attacking from the air, which makes those salients all the more precarious.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 25, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Saladin Rising posted:

A helpful map to explain what the hell is going on around Al Bab:

Basically, Euphrates Shield is attempting an encirclement of Al Bab while also trying to push the SDF back on two fronts. They're leaving themselves extremely exposed to counterattacks by doing this, especially since they're bypassing Qabasin with an extremely long and thin salient. They're running a serious risk of those salients getting cut off and having the forward forces isolated.

It's not so bad, since the salients are facing two different enemies who are also fighting each other. I don't think I've heard of an encirclement of a third party by two mutually hostile parties.

Pushing into Manjib is going to bite them in the rear end though, supposing they piss off the locals enough.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Friendly Humour posted:

You'd think that the whole "islamic fundamentalism" outlook would extend to, you know the fundamentals of islam... But no, apparently that's optional.

Why would Islam fare better than Christianity wrt. helping the poor? Humans are humans.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Why would Islam fare better than Christianity wrt. helping the poor? Humans are humans.

Like seriously, not even Buddhism can avoid this trap.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Uh charity is probably more prominent in Islam than Christianity, as I'm sure you all already knew.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bad week for US troops in Syria.

https://twitter.com/metesohtaoglu/status/802578647446077440

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:eyepop:
Was that just a lone suicide bomber?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/CivilWarMap/status/802492097882419200

Kurds are joining forces with Assad now.

https://twitter.com/MustafaNajafi/status/802476236572196864

Iraqi Hezbolla and IRGC are now official parts of Iraqi army.

https://twitter.com/CivilWarMap/status/802518959513706496

Turkish backed rebels are attacking Kurds

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

https://twitter.com/CivilWarMap/status/802492097882419200

Kurds are joining forces with Assad now.

https://twitter.com/MustafaNajafi/status/802476236572196864

Iraqi Hezbolla and IRGC are now official parts of Iraqi army.

https://twitter.com/CivilWarMap/status/802518959513706496

Turkish backed rebels are attacking Kurds

Of course they're joining Assad. The Turks back most of the opposition.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Map of the situation in Mosul.

https://twitter.com/sayed_ridha/status/802151072999428097

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Those green zones are extremely vulnerable. They aren't secure at all. Mosul city is going to take at least 3 months, maybe 6 months. It's slow going for the ISF special forces now. The response from Daesh has been constant SVBIEDs from already taken areas. Mosul isn't going to be easy, and the effect on morale is worrying. I think they'll either just start destroying any building that someone shoots from, or move the PMF in to blitzkrieg everything which would be apocalyptic. I don't see any other effective option right now.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Also this could be fun.

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/802514990624145409

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

If you're a Kurd you'd welcome the devil if he came knocking at this point. And he did.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Friendly Humour posted:

If you're a Kurd you'd welcome the devil if he came knocking at this point. And he did.

What do you mean "at this point." Who in Syria has it better than Rojava?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Volkerball posted:

Russia?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

As in actual people. Not military detachments.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

The Kurds had it pretty bad for a while when ISIS was kicking their rear end and Turkey was at least tacitly assisting them in doing so. Yeah, the US helped them turn things around and establish a safe area, and that's when Turkey decided to invade. Turkey establishing red lines in a neighboring country which didn't apply to ISIS but do to Kurds gives the Kurds plenty of reason to resist that invasion.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Volkerball posted:

Dude, Turkey is gearing up for a full scale invasion. Rojava is about to get royally hosed. So no, I'm not surprised they've chosen Assad over... Who exactly? Who else is there that'll do anything when Erdogan sends in the tanks?

I sympathise, because it's the exact same situation that Finland was in 1942. Russia was going to annex Finland, the only people who're offering help are the Nazis who most people in the establishment already thought had a deal going with the Soviets wrt their policies during the Winter War, but what alternative was there? Once Turkey really gets busy with the Kurds, Americans are going to say bye bye and good luck, so what the gently caress are they supposed to do? They can't stand against Turkey on their own.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Friendly Humour posted:

Dude, Turkey is gearing up for a full scale invasion. Rojava is about to get royally hosed. So no, I'm not surprised they've chosen Assad over... Who exactly? Who else is there that'll do anything when Erdogan sends in the tanks?

I sympathise, because it's the exact same situation that Finland was in 1942. Russia was going to annex Finland, the only people who're offering help are the Nazis who most people in the establishment already thought had a deal going with the Soviets wrt their policies during the Winter War, but what alternative was there? Once Turkey really gets busy with the Kurds, Americans are going to say bye bye and good luck, so what the gently caress are they supposed to do? They can't stand against Turkey on their own.

Yeah we'll see. As it stands, I'd wager more people have died at the hands of the regime than at the hands of Turkey in Qamishli and Hasakah, which is Rojava proper. Yet the PYD has been blowing Assad in between bouts of getting bombed by him since at least 2014 when they were on with the Ghouta truther bullshit. I don't sympathize with the PYD at all. Maybe if they hadn't crushed all political opposition to themselves, the power structures in Rojava wouldn't have found themselves on Turkeys poo poo list to begin with. The KRG never had this problem.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

I don't sympathize with the PYD at all. Maybe if they hadn't crushed all political opposition to themselves, the power structures in Rojava wouldn't have found themselves on Turkeys poo poo list to begin with. The KRG never had this problem.

I think Erdogan provoking a war with the PKK in order to boost his popularity with nationalists before the second round of elections after the HDP did surprisingly well in the first round might have had something to do with it too. Turkey isn't in much of a position to preach about the need for maintaining space for a vibrant political opposition at this point either.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Volkerball posted:

Yeah we'll see. As it stands, I'd wager more people have died at the hands of the regime than at the hands of Turkey in Qamishli and Hasakah, which is Rojava proper. Yet the PYD has been blowing Assad in between bouts of getting bombed by him since at least 2014 when they were on with the Ghouta truther bullshit. I don't sympathize with the PYD at all. Maybe if they hadn't crushed all political opposition to themselves, the power structures in Rojava wouldn't have found themselves on Turkeys poo poo list to begin with. The KRG never had this problem.

No doubt! As it was for 1942, it's a deal with the literal devil, and I'm sure everybody in Rojava is aware of that fact. I frankly doubt they have any sort of love for Assad at all, but they really are short of potential allies and always have been.

What do you mean about PYD crushing political opposition though?

Rojava would've found itself on Turkey's shitlist no matter what, so waxing limeric about it being their fault Turkey will do everything in its power to prevent the emergence of an independent Kurdistan is a bit rich considering everything that has happened. As for KRG not getting air striked, I think American alliance to them might actually have more to do with the fact than, ah... Allowing political opposition? In Iraqi Kurdistan? lmao... KRG doesn't interfere with Turkish air strikes against PKK, so there's that as well.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is Kurdish propaganda going to start shifting to a more Pro-Assad and Russian/communist solidarity bent? That would be an interesting pivot to see on Twitter and other media sources.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pretty sure they'll downplay the association for international consumption and still work to present themselves to the West as preferable to the alternatives.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Hey just want to point out that this didn't happen. US has said nothing and YPG says no bombings today.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

fits my needs posted:

Is Kurdish propaganda going to start shifting to a more Pro-Assad and Russian/communist solidarity bent? That would be an interesting pivot to see on Twitter and other media sources.

Sinteres posted:

Pretty sure they'll downplay the association for international consumption and still work to present themselves to the West as preferable to the alternatives.
Looks like a little bit of both currently:
https://twitter.com/DefenseUnits/status/802551710455578625

quote:

YPG’s international volunteers commemorate Fidel Castro in Rojava, northern Syria #FidelCasto #Cuba
This is the international brigade, so they're foreign fighters as opposed to native Kurdish/Arab/Assyrian/YPG/YPJ/etc.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

rear end struggle posted:

Hey just want to point out that this didn't happen. US has said nothing and YPG says no bombings today.

Speaking of which, Sinteres' promised us a new 100k strong veteran ninja milita army was reinforcing the siege of Aleppo a few months back. I guess they got lost or something because it still looks like a grinding siege...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Friendly Humour posted:

No doubt! As it was for 1942, it's a deal with the literal devil, and I'm sure everybody in Rojava is aware of that fact. I frankly doubt they have any sort of love for Assad at all, but they really are short of potential allies and always have been.

On the other hand, I'm sure there's plenty of people in Rojava who haven't forgotten the Qamishli riots, or that the regime didn't recognize them as citizens, and arrested and tortured political dissidents and people who committed such grave crimes as wearing traditional Kurdish dress. You see them protest every now and again, but it's not like the PYD has any obligation to represent them.

quote:

What do you mean about PYD crushing political opposition though?

They've forced opposition political parties to leave Rojava, they've banned news outlets from reporting within their territory on ideological grounds, smashed and burned poo poo on ethnic grounds, and refused to allow in refugees on ethnic and ideological grounds. Simply put, they have a long track record of ruling with an iron fist.

quote:

Rojava would've found itself on Turkey's shitlist no matter what, so waxing limeric about it being their fault Turkey will do everything in its power to prevent the emergence of an independent Kurdistan is a bit rich considering everything that has happened. As for KRG not getting air striked, I think American alliance to them might actually have more to do with the fact than, ah... Allowing political opposition? In Iraqi Kurdistan? lmao... KRG doesn't interfere with Turkish air strikes against PKK, so there's that as well.

Oh word? The KRG is repressive? I had no idea. My point is that had the PYD allowed in political opposition, the government in Rojava would look different. And in looking different, it might not have been so objectionable to Turkey. That's fairly likely considering that in this hypothetical, you have a government that's got a sort of power sharing agreement with the PKK rather than "literally is the PKK." And the KRG and Turkey are outright allies. The KRG has consistently sided with Turkey on matters related to the PKK, although as diplomatically as they can. Keep in mind that when Sinjar and everything was going on, the PYD were trying to undermine the KRG and develop cantons inside Iraq, while simultaneously refusing any sort of KRG presence within Rojava. The PKK were also blowing up oil pipelines between the KRG and Turkey to sabotage the economic deals between the two. I don't think there's anyone familiar with relations between the KRG and Turkey who would tell you that if things continued to degrade in Iraq and the KRG became fully independent, that Turkey would go to war to prevent it. I doubt they would have any issues with it at all given Turkey's hostility towards the central government in Iraq. It's strictly a PKK phenomenon.

They poo poo on everyone then act surprised when they have no allies except for the actor with a really stupid laser focus on the ISIS symptom. I know it's a really romantic idea to make out the PYD to be this Westernized leftist militia defending itself on all fronts from attacks against it on ethnic grounds, but it's not real. The dispute between Turkey and the PKK is political, not ethnic, and the PKK has done their fair share in feeding the flames. And their sectarian bigotry is up there with anyone else in creating the bad blood between them and the Arabs and Turks.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 27, 2016

3peat
May 6, 2010

Volkerball posted:

They've forced opposition political parties to leave Rojava, they've banned news outlets from reporting within their territory on ideological grounds, smashed and burned poo poo on ethnic grounds, and refused to allow in refugees on ethnic and ideological grounds.

Ah yes, the PYD that have been branded race traitors by KRG and the other nationalists because they let in too many non-kurds settle and have power in Rojava, are the real nazis now.
You al qaeda fanboys are even more deluded and full of bullshit than the assad fanboys

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

rear end struggle posted:

If it didn't happen, I'm happy to be wrong.

Warbadger posted:

Speaking of which, Sinteres' promised us a new 100k strong veteran ninja milita army was reinforcing the siege of Aleppo a few months back. I guess they got lost or something because it still looks like a grinding siege...

I'm pretty sure you have me confused with someone else, but you picked a bad day to say that since the regime is advancing pretty steadily now.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Volkerball posted:

They've forced opposition political parties to leave Rojava, they've banned news outlets from reporting within their territory on ideological grounds, smashed and burned poo poo on ethnic grounds, and refused to allow in refugees on ethnic and ideological grounds. Simply put, they have a long track record of ruling with an iron fist.

And even if any of this is true (note to readers: Volkerball is a lying hack who was proudly posting about the freely held anti-PYD protests going on in Rojava literally a single loving week ago) it's being done with far less intensity than by the ISIS and Al-Qaeda backed rebels you've somehow found yourself championing.

If there's one good thing to come out of the Trump presidency it'll be that Saudi-dicksucking fucks like you will never find a home in our state department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Volkerball posted:

I don't sympathize with the PYD at all. Maybe if they hadn't crushed all political opposition to themselves, the power structures in Rojava wouldn't have found themselves on Turkeys poo poo list to begin with. The KRG never had this problem.

Yeah, except for that one little kerfuffle when Turkey invaded the KRG with Saddam's help.

• Locked thread