Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I named it that. Was torn between that, Malzil, or Brazali.

My inflation has been stuck above 10% for a long time so more gold wont help - its been part of the problem because of all of the bad inflation events I have been hit with. I am thinking of attacking Touggourt, who is allied to Tunis, who is allied to the Ottomans. I would use the war to grab some land and break Tunis's alliance with the Ottomans and hope that changes their opinion of me. I'm okay with losing my colonial possessions I am just worried that with the way EU4 works, the Spanish and French will come for my mainland, too, and take some good stuff from me.

No other European powers give a poo poo about me, the Ottomans were by best bet because they are so powerful and also the same religion.

I feel like I have been pretty unlucky - the alliances in West Africa, events, rulers, ect. I've been leveraging my Estates like a pro but I can only milk so much out of them. I have disinherited a good half dozen heirs, if not more.

I think I will start a new game and take what I have learned to simply git gud faster. It took me forever to fill out Exploration because I was so diplo-point starved between trying to develop, keep up in diplo tech to keep my rear end in a top hat vassals from being even more annoying assholes, annex vassals, and peace deals. Therefore I think I will go for Economic first to help keep bad events away, have more money, and therefor be more stable and strong - keep my vassals in line, fight my enemies better with bigger armies, and have fewer bad events from inflation. Then once I take Exploration second I can go for wherever the Euros are not, yet, and hope that keeps them off of my back. I have my capital Joma up to 55 development and definitely could have optimized how and when I developed.

It sounds like you got bogged down early and are just stagnating recovering from bad luck and also relying on vassals too much. If you find yourself diplo point starved you should directly annex more land (hopefully the good provinces) and core it yourself. Trying to diplo-annex a large vassal is a huge time sink when you're rushing for the New World. Still go Exploration first, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eej posted:

It sounds like you got bogged down early and are just stagnating recovering from bad luck and also relying on vassals too much. If you find yourself diplo point starved you should directly annex more land (hopefully the good provinces) and core it yourself. Trying to diplo-annex a large vassal is a huge time sink when you're rushing for the New World. Still go Exploration first, imo.
My problem was actually a number of smaller vassals - Jolof, Macina, something else is south-central West Africa, and Jenne. They ended up being too powerful compared to me and were always nearly rebelling. Regardless, message received.

Will definitely go with fewer vassals next go around and perhaps I will have better luck in other places.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Koramei posted:

Yeah it's for mods updating, when you scroll down you see it's always the ones with the download bar. I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually activate them, it's just a visual glitch. That said I compulsively untick them anyway so I'm not 100% sure.

Oh poo poo my bad, I totally misread that. You can totally manage a world conquest at that pace then if the prospect actually appeals to you. Personally even doing 1001 killed my desire to play EU4 for a few months, it's unbelievably mind numbing.

For coalitions, declare wars the day the truces end and you won't get them.

Agreed, constant wars of conquest can get grating. I just finished a Choson One game and it started fun but towards the end I was fed up of war. Thank god Assam got huge and converted a whole bunch of Buddhist and Confucian provinces to Hindu.

I'm doing a far more peaceful Buddhist Malaya trade/colonial game now and it's much nicer maintaining my neural karma,

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

spectralent posted:

Are rebels not really poo poo? I'd assumed that the actual army would be a cut above them and they'd be heavily reliant on numbers.

Depends. For instance, Separatists will have the technology of the tag they desire to re-unite with, if that tag exists. That makes killing rebels from some backwards nation really easy, or really hard if you've snagged some provinces from someone way ahead of you. But if that tag doesn't exist, they get your tech, for better or worse. Nobles tend to have good armies and good generals, peasants have bad armies that are extremely infantry heavy.

Koramei posted:

Personally even doing 1001 killed my desire to play EU4 for a few months, it's unbelievably mind numbing.

Seriously. I finally checked the WC box whenever the patch dropped that made Hordes insanely overpowered and fun, and even that felt really grindy and awful by the end.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Elman posted:

I'm trying an Ottoman world conquest 1001 provinces achievement, how does this look? Iraq, Persia and Crimea are mine. I'm kinda terrified of the moment poo poo will hit the fan and I'll face a bigger coalition than I can deal with.

I have Humanist and Quantity ideas so far, going for Administrative next. Is a Coptic/Hindu conversion worth the effort?

It sounds weird, but if you do get a huge loving coalition declaring on you, send a 100% peace offer day 1. You can use the breather to conquer enough poo poo that your gains minus your losses will eclipse what you could have got by fighting the war. On my last Ottomans run finding this out really made things less stressful.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

How about some starter picks for Ethiopia Idea Groups? Not sure if I should be looking to colonize the empty land around me, go heavy military, or what now.

Hows the balance on idea groups these days in general? Are there still a fair number of go-tos and ones you pretty much never pick or are they all pretty good in the right situations?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
First pick exploration unless you have some crazy strat you're planning on trying. Seal off the Cape from the Europeans, go explore South America for a shot at colonialism, then colonize Indonesia to direct all the sweet trade money back to Zanzibar. I never even bothered colonizing any of the local provinces aside from one I used to get access into Ajuuran. A new nation, Funj, shows up about 50 years in right in the uncolonized land to the west of you, so you can just conquer it off them rather than investing in colonizing it yourself. Also most of the African land is pretty bad development.

Idea group balance is still pretty poo poo.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

How about some starter picks for Ethiopia Idea Groups? Not sure if I should be looking to colonize the empty land around me, go heavy military, or what now.

Hows the balance on idea groups these days in general? Are there still a fair number of go-tos and ones you pretty much never pick or are they all pretty good in the right situations?

Definitely exploration first. I'd probably go economic second because the inflation can be killer otherwise. Religious is pretty good too, especially combined with the Coptic blessing for missionary strength. Defensive is a good third pick.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Some other guys will have some better suggestions for Ethiopia, but in general terms there are still some go-to ones for sure. In Mil Tech I'd say that Defensive then Offensive are the best two picks. I'll follow it with Quality. Naval is just a waste imo, same with Aristocratic, but Plutocratic is an awesome idea and if you're a republic I'd usually take it first. Quantity is situational, but I really really feel that quality over quantity is the best way to go in EU combat.

For diplo it's less clear cut. Lots are situational. If you're going to colonize then explore is obviously key. I like influence a lot because I am generally vassal feeding. The rest are situational. Maritime is garbage imo. I actually took espionage in my...Ming game I think, because I had 3 giant marches and I needed the -10 liberty desire idea.

In admin I usually take either Admin, Humanist, or Religious first, depending on my goals. The admin group definitely has the most useful ideas in the sense that there isn't a lot of wasted space. Most countries can make use of anything, with expansion sometimes being an exception. Often times I'll grab religious (later on when I have a surplus idea group), take the first idea, and just roll with that until I get the imperial CB, then drop religious and pick a different idea group.

So...yeah.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

after you revoke the privilege can you annex your imperial vassals like regular vassals? i want to form HRE and roman empire on the same run but you need to do roman empire first and there's some french electors and id rather not mess around with revoking electors and poo poo

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

after you revoke the privilege can you annex your imperial vassals like regular vassals? i want to form HRE and roman empire on the same run but you need to do roman empire first and there's some french electors and id rather not mess around with revoking electors and poo poo

Yes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
What's a fun but difficult non-European colonial start? Preferably not anywhere in the SEA islands area as I played the gently caress out of that already (though not recently). My first instinct is maybe somewhere in east Africa and redirect trade from the East.

Is Australia good enough to get Colonialism or do you specifically need a CN in the Americas?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Random country that has discovered a province in the Americas (via exploring coast via boat) can potentially become the centre of Colonialism.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

Random country that has discovered a province in the Americas (via exploring coast via boat) can potentially become the centre of Colonialism.

I was looking at the requirements for spawning on the institutions' screen and it looks like your capital also has to be a port... Which is either a change for 1.19 or is mislabeled.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RabidWeasel posted:

What's a fun but difficult non-European colonial start? Preferably not anywhere in the SEA islands area as I played the gently caress out of that already (though not recently). My first instinct is maybe somewhere in east Africa and redirect trade from the East.

Is Australia good enough to get Colonialism or do you specifically need a CN in the Americas?

Assuming you don't have Foremost Servitor, Orissa. Though my avatar memory is telling me it may have been you that just mentioned it a page or so back.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tsyni posted:

I was looking at the requirements for spawning on the institutions' screen and it looks like your capital also has to be a port... Which is either a change for 1.19 or is mislabeled.

Huh, that would disqualify Castille/Spain which would be a really weird design decision.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Assuming you don't have Foremost Servitor, Orissa. Though my avatar memory is telling me it may have been you that just mentioned it a page or so back.

I don't care about achievements and the start is a bit easier than I would like, but thanks for the suggestion!

Eej posted:

I'm not talking about being the centre of colonialism but about getting natural spread; from the event files it does look like your colonial subject needs to have their capital in the Americas, which is kind of annoying.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tsyni posted:

i think this means the province it spawns in will be a port because that's dumb otherwise

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
Has anybody seen the HRE spontaneously dismantle itself?

It's 1498, and an Archduchess rose to the Austrian throne. As far as I can tell, the pragmatic sanction hasn't fired. Rather than give the title to another candidate, I got a message saying there were no viable candidates, so the HRE was dismantled. It's really bizarre, since Protestantism just fired, so I know there are plenty of Catholic monarchies out there, but instead--poof, no HRE. Think it's a bug?

Ed: Minor correction. Austria's in a queen regency for a female heir. Don't know if that affected it or not.

jwalrus fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 27, 2016

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Just thought I'd mention that doing a full random nations game can be pretty fun as long as it doesn't make too big of a blob (happens fairly often).

Was doing a chill Tidore game and expected to quit out when I discovered the horrible RNW but it spawned two huge continents with a pretty diverse amount of both primitive and high nations. only thing that sucks is that I don't really have any reason to go there since I can only shift trade to there and I may as well collect at Cape since I locked the Euros out from there. I'll get a screenshot once I finish mapping it out since it's really impressive.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

jwalrus posted:

Has anybody seen the HRE spontaneously dismantle itself?

It's 1498, and an Archduchess rose to the Austrian throne. As far as I can tell, the pragmatic sanction hasn't fired. Rather than give the title to another candidate, I got a message saying there were no viable candidates, so the HRE was dismantled. It's really bizarre, since Protestantism just fired, so I know there are plenty of Catholic monarchies out there, but instead--poof, no HRE. Think it's a bug?

Ed: Minor correction. Austria's in a queen regency for a female heir. Don't know if that affected it or not.

Exact same thing happened in 1449 in my game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Female rulers breaking the HRE is a known bug and will I guess probably get hotfixed pretty quick next week.

aeglus posted:

Just thought I'd mention that doing a full random nations game can be pretty fun as long as it doesn't make too big of a blob (happens fairly often).

Was doing a chill Tidore game and expected to quit out when I discovered the horrible RNW but it spawned two huge continents with a pretty diverse amount of both primitive and high nations. only thing that sucks is that I don't really have any reason to go there since I can only shift trade to there and I may as well collect at Cape since I locked the Euros out from there. I'll get a screenshot once I finish mapping it out since it's really impressive.

It sucks that there's no easy way to get any American trade into SEA, you have to go through Japan and China. A Mexico => Phillipines link would be nice.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Female rulers breaking the HRE is a known bug and will I guess probably get hotfixed pretty quick next week.

How about colonialism not spawning? It's 1502, and no sign of it. Castile, Portugal and England all have Exploration ideas, but nada.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jwalrus posted:

How about colonialism not spawning? It's 1502, and no sign of it. Castile, Portugal and England all have Exploration ideas, but nada.

Maybe they haven't found America yet? It's taken a few years for me before.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

RabidWeasel posted:

It sucks that there's no easy way to get any American trade into SEA, you have to go through Japan and China. A Mexico => Phillipines link would be nice.

I almost was extremely happy seeing a node going from the Philippines to the New World. Except it was actually just going FROM the Philippines. If it was going TO there this game I'd be set to be the richest nation in the world by far. I'm already #2 as a world power before 1550 with some of the highest development with only Ming beating the world despite not even embracing the Renaissance yet. Ternate/Tidore is still crazy powerful.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Maybe they haven't found America yet? It's taken a few years for me before.

You're probably right. I just realized this is the first time I haven't taken Exploration right off the bat.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Any tips for making money early on as Sweden? I'm barely breaking even in peacetime even with military maintenance low and a couple forts mothballed. It's 1454 and I'm independent, with my starting provinces plus Novgorod, Neva, and Ladoga. I'd like to hit Denmark as soon as the truce is up with them in 1455, but I don't think I can afford to field an army that can match them. I'm allied with England and Poland and I guess I could just wait until I accrue enough favors with them to get them in on the war, but that would take until the mid-1460s.

Maybe I should dump some admin points into development in Stockholm and/or diplo into Dalaskogen?

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 27, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Any tips for making money early on as Sweden? I'm barely breaking even in peacetime even with military maintenance low and a couple forts mothballed. It's 1454 and I'm independent, with my starting provinces plus Novgorod, Neva, and Ladoga. I'd like to hit Denmark as soon as the truce is up with them in 1455, but I don't think I can afford to field an army that can match them. I'm allied with England and Poland and I guess I could just wait until I accrue enough favors with them to get them in on the war, but that would take until the mid-1460s.

Maybe I should dump some admin points into development in Stockholm and/or diplo into Dalaskogen?

Diplo points into Dalaskogen assuming that's the province with the copper mine is definitely the way to go.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baron Corbyn posted:

Diplo points into Dalaskogen assuming that's the province with the copper mine is definitely the way to go.
I thought that the provincial bonus was not affected by the province's development?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
my RNW, pretty happy to finally get something that isn't just a few little islands

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

aeglus posted:

my RNW, pretty happy to finally get something that isn't just a few little islands

Isn't that the Falklands?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Freudian posted:

Isn't that the Falklands?

turns out it's this which was good enough that it made it into the base game:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=706950221

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

thatdarnedbob posted:

It sounds weird, but if you do get a huge loving coalition declaring on you, send a 100% peace offer day 1. You can use the breather to conquer enough poo poo that your gains minus your losses will eclipse what you could have got by fighting the war. On my last Ottomans run finding this out really made things less stressful.

This was great advice that helped me. Twice. I'm bad at this.

I'm learning a lot though! At the very least I'll do 1001 and unify Islam. Status update (340 provinces):

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've been out of the EU4 loop for a couple expansions now, just spent the day getting back into it, and with Ironman. Doing a Hesse game that actually managed to take off -- I'm about three times as big as I was at the start, and am a regional power in NW Germany.

The issue is that my allies and rivals aren't ideal anymore. I really want to ally with Bohemia, and they'd be totally down for it if I wasn't rivalled with Brunswick, their ally. The issue is that I can't seem to unrival Brunswick. They've been my rival for ages, so there's no time limit at play. I have the minimum amount of diplo power to switch out the rival (100). But when I click on their shield in my rivals list, and the list of other possible rivals appears, but every option is greyed out.

Am I missing something here? I'm not at war and neither are they, so it can't be that either.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think you can right click the shield to unrival instead of switch. i dunno i usually don't mess with rivaling unless i've just eclipsed someone

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Elman posted:

This was great advice that helped me. Twice. I'm bad at this.

I'm learning a lot though! At the very least I'll do 1001 and unify Islam. Status update (340 provinces):

What are you doing for CBs when you do a giant otto blob like that? Just fabricate a claim -> go in and take 100% warscore worth of stuff -> repeat when truce expires?
I'm doing the same run but at 1480 or so

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What's a good starting plan for Ethiopia? I've got plenty of neighbors I can pick on, but it seems like I'm very gold starved right out of the gate. Been a while since I've played and there are a lot of new systems in place so I'm not sure what I should be paying attention to or not.
Ethiopia has a +10 prestige event within the first few weeks. Disinherit your lovely heir, then RM your Coptic vassal so you can get Eleni. Conquer Kaffa first (you have to bust through some minors in the new patch) to get a gold mine and then rival and throw the kitchen sink (mercs/loans if they ally Ajuraan or whoever) at Adal to make up prestige and get some coastline. You get mission CBs fairly often. I would ally either Yemen or Hejaz just to ensure you only have two fronts to defend for the first century of the game.

Once that's done start alternating between punching north and punching south as dictated by mission goals or AE penalties. Your mid-game goals in the north are to get to Alexandria before the Ottomans, and in the south you can either conquer the Kilwa/Mutapa goldmines or colonize South Africa to cockblock the Euros (I did this, since the goldmines will still be there in the 1500s). You'll probably have to brute-force the Renaissance by developing Gonder which is why it's important to disinherit since you can't afford good advisors. There's an excellent event chain that fires once Portugal discovers you, pick the option to trigger another event a few times and you'll end up getting a nice short-term buff to troops which will let you take on the Mamluks (or if you're MLG pro and already ate them, the Ottomans).

Janissary Decadence = It's lit

Elotana fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 27, 2016

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

awesmoe posted:

What are you doing for CBs when you do a giant otto blob like that? Just fabricate a claim -> go in and take 100% warscore worth of stuff -> repeat when truce expires?

If you take Religious ideas you get a "Holy War" CB against any neighboring non-believer, and that CB is very powerful. It has reduced AE for all provinces taken as well. This frees up a diplomat from continuously fabricating claims all over the place and allows you to more effectively manage vassals and whatnot. If you are going towards HRE/Italy/Iberia early the Holy War CB can reduce the high levels of AE taken there. Another good strategy for the Ottomans is to vassalize (force or peaceful, doesn't matter) a nation with a lot of cores/claims, and feed them. Influence ideas is helpful for this approach, as you will get reduced integration cost. Try to time it so that you finish integrating right before getting a new vassal and you can avoid the penalty in relations. As Ottomans I like to sometimes have Georgia/Circassia as a March, as they start close but have increased core cost which is not fun.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

awesmoe posted:

That's basically what I'm doing, not sure if it's the right way. I won't always go for 100% if it's not worth the effort or I'm doing poorly (making forts useless and too expensive while also teaching the AI how to blanket siege is messed up, Paradox!). But sniping forts to make future wars easier takes priority.

Also the Ottos get some great missions that give you claims to very large areas, so make use of those to save on coring and peace deal diplo points. Getting the actual mission reward isn't necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

oddium posted:

i think you can right click the shield to unrival instead of switch. i dunno i usually don't mess with rivaling unless i've just eclipsed someone

Yep, that worked well!

• Locked thread