Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Good lord, all they did to "beat" it was spam warp strike and normal attacks and just repeat while tanking it with their face and hope they had enough potions.

This is reminding me of Polygon's Doom video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
People are so bad at action games it's honestly astounding.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tae posted:

Good lord, all they did to "beat" it was spam warp strike and normal attacks and just repeat while tanking it with their face and hope they had enough potions.

This is reminding me of Polygon's Doom video.

They even went through two tutorials and had the developers on hand to tell them to mix things up and use their abilities. It's that feeling where you wonder if they're trying to be bad on purpose, or if they really are that bad. (It's the latter.)

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

People are so bad at action games it's honestly astounding.

They really are in an astounding way. People go "Well they only have a week." It doesn't take a week to become reasonably competent at any action video game. It hardly takes a day.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Polygon Doom4 guy looked like he'd never played an FPS with dual sticks. I'm pretty sure he looked worse than the first time I played Halo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I'll always appreciate FF7 for giving me the ability to kill the ultimate boss with a single command.

You mean Emerald or Ruby Weapon? How did you do that?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Overflow glitch using the Missing Score or Death Penalty.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't know why they keep putting deserts in video games

Would you rather have desert or sewer levels?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Ruby Weapon. It's been a while, but I remember it involved a KotR Mime loop, because of course it did. Hades was probably involved somehow too, since Ruby's vulnerable to paralysis.

I literally hit the Summon command once and then walked off to make lunch while Ruby looped itself to death.

Emerald was tougher. It's not vulnerable to statuses like Ruby and it dealt so much damage I ran out of Final Attack/Phoenix combos before I finally brought it down.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
My Emerald kill involved KotR + Mime, Last Attack + Phoenix, and some magic plus materia to make sure everything hit for max damage. Didn't even need an underwater materia. I never did kill Ruby because the sand blasting annoyed me and I didn't know about its status weakness.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ice levels with sliding puzzles please.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

No minimap teleporter mazes in identical rooms

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

pichupal posted:

Ice levels with sliding puzzles please.

Alundra.... :shepicide:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Sewers aren't quite as bad as their reputation suggests. They're rarely any good, but they don't really give you any poor game mechanics to grapple with. Not like the ice levels, or nature's sewer level, the swamp level.

Underdog choice: The darkness level.

The best type of level on average is the machinery level.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cleretic posted:

they don't really give you any poor game mechanics to grapple with. Not like the ice levels

Well what about like ice levels that only have it for the aesthetic, like Secret of Mana?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The White Dragon posted:

Well what about like ice levels that only have it for the aesthetic, like Secret of Mana?

I will allow it, because the Crystal Palace was my favorite part of Paper Mario.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

:allears:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Oxxidation posted:

Emerald was tougher. It's not vulnerable to statuses like Ruby and it dealt so much damage I ran out of Final Attack/Phoenix combos before I finally brought it down.

Oxx there's like two separate approaches you gotta formulate for those fights. My favorite Emerald cheese is prepping All 7 Fever on the dogs by Kalm and opening with limits with the highest number of hits--after that, I think you need like two Knights, or one Knights and a couple quadra-magic Bahamut Zero because it's high-powered and ignores defense. No need for fancy materia combos and Final Attack backup plans like Ruby.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

FFXV has pretty deep combat actually, you just have to actually engage with it. It's not a Platinum game, but it's got more to it than, say, Kingdom Hearts style combat.

If you get something like say animation canceling through upgrades it's going to be a crazy time. It's already a blast but more focused on positioning than anything. It's also more defensively oriented than a lot of action games.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
FFIX is still a pretty great game (aside from the combat being slow as fuuuuuuck)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

Oxx there's like two separate approaches you gotta formulate for those fights. My favorite Emerald cheese is prepping All 7 Fever on the dogs by Kalm and opening with limits with the highest number of hits--after that, I think you need like two Knights, or one Knights and a couple quadra-magic Bahamut Zero because it's high-powered and ignores defense. No need for fancy materia combos and Final Attack backup plans like Ruby.

W-Summon knights and two mimes wins the fight. You don't really need anything else. Can get fancy with hp/mp absorbs if you want, and MP turbo linked to knights to make sure each hit does 9999. Final attack phoenix or revive for safety are an option, but not needed.

Go into the Ruby fight with cloud and two dead party members, can user dazers if you want, but Big Guard into W-summon knights and then miming wins that fight in short order too.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 27, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I thought Knights was the one you couldn't W-Summon?

e: no you can i'm thinking of quadra magic

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hey I already admitted I never beat the game fairly and I've only played modded versions since then. New Threat Mod gave Emerald an Ruby reasonable HP, at least in the version I beat. Had to balance the fact your party in the mod is way weaker than in the vanilla game.

Anyway, I had no idea there even was something called Final Attack materia in the game. Well, I mean, I've heard about it on forums but I never got it back when I played the game with GameShark. There was this weird glitch where if you tried to load a game with GameShark it wouldn't work so my only option was to overlevel and maybe get some items when I started a new game. But yeah, this kind nerfed any need to be creative or strategic.

I miss the days when I just cheated and beat everything. It's been a decade now since I stopped doing it because I stopped when Xenosaga IIII came out and I wasn't about to wait for CodeBreaker's website to upload codes..Also it's a really easy game as I realized once I started playing things fairly.

Sadly, cheating's not even an option these days. I don't know why exactly GameShark and co. don't work on modern consoles. (I assume this is the reason they were phased out)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The same stuff modern consoles do to stave off piracy is also what stops companies making Game Genie type things for them since they were unauthorised products. They died pretty much as soon as firmware updating via the internet came along.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
50% of Phantasy Star 4 took place on a desert planet and 30% on an ice planet, but the real punishment was the castle on an asteroid :negative:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sakurazuka posted:

The same stuff modern consoles do to stave off piracy is also what stops companies making Game Genie type things for them since they were unauthorised products. They died pretty much as soon as firmware updating via the internet came along.

Plus it's much more important to block those devices now due to online play.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sakurazuka posted:

Alundra.... :shepicide:

The good thing about ice levels is that they almost universally have good background music, as bad as that one particular ice pillar puzzle was at least the track there was very relaxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMdNJ5gPKNw

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question to y'all since you were talking about Emerald and Ruby - what was the FF with your favorite optional bosses? Feel free to explain why.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bravely Default because there's a lot and they're great

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Terper posted:

Bravely Default because there's a lot and they're great

I'd probably appreciate them a lot more on a second play through. I'm someone that can't ignore quest markers until they're all gone and the first time around having to do them all felt super tedious until the last time when they all got neat new dialogs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

what was the FF with your favorite optional bosses? Feel free to explain why.

Ozma because it was a really quick test of how well you understood the mechanics. You either get it right, or you wipe. Or Ozma opens with Meteor and you wipe

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ozma from FF9 since he's the only one I've ever beaten.

That reminds me, I stopped playing FF13 as soon as the credits rolled but are there any other major optional things other than the Cieth stone missions?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

Question to y'all since you were talking about Emerald and Ruby - what was the FF with your favorite optional bosses? Feel free to explain why.

The one in Lighting Returns because it's introduced as God's perfected human or something then it turns out it's vulnerable to poison. Better luck next time God.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Greg and Ultros fights in 13-2 were pretty good. Uh..hm, come to think of it I never tend to do a lot of optional stuff in FF games. I remember trying the Dark Aeons years and years ago and mostly just got pissed off at the Magus Sisters.

The Greg fights in 12 were great, but I didn't do any of the espers. I should do that in the HD port.

14's optional raids are generally speaking very good, especially Bahamut Prime, the Triad, Cruise Chaser, Alexander Prime and both Gregs.

Er, hang on, I think I see a trend here..

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

That reminds me, I stopped playing FF13 as soon as the credits rolled but are there any other major optional things other than the Cieth stone missions?

It's just the stone hunts but the new post game ones are pretty fun and challenging

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Elentor posted:

FFX because it's not an optional boss unless it consumes your entire summer vacation in between 9th and 10th grade

Also did you guys know Ruby and Emerald weren't in the original FF7? I have no idea how anticlimactic the end of that game must have been

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

No it was Cieth missions, Killing an Adamantoise, Killing a Long Gui, and then farming them over and over to get the ultimate weapons (lol)

The Cieth missions were fun and worth doing though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Greg and Ultros fights in 13-2 were pretty good. Uh..hm, come to think of it I never tend to do a lot of optional stuff in FF games. I remember trying the Dark Aeons years and years ago and mostly just got pissed off at the Magus Sisters.

The Greg fights in 12 were great, but I didn't do any of the espers. I should do that in the HD port.

14's optional raids are generally speaking very good, especially Bahamut Prime, the Triad, Cruise Chaser, Alexander Prime and both Gregs.

Er, hang on, I think I see a trend here..

who is greg

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Oh, Gregamesh, of course. Gilgamesh's little-known brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah sorry, the questline he shows up in stars a..very special man, who decides to call Gilgamesh "Greg" because it's vastly easier for him to remember/a good nickname and it's really kind of stuck and just become second habit.