Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
First two seasons they ration everything. Paris talks about saving his replicator rations for two weeks to make a necklace for Kes, and I think Kim uses two weeks to make his clarinet. Then later, who the gently caress cares! Everyone replicate yourself some costumes so we can go gently caress holofolk in the Irish town program that's running 24/7 for some reason!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Data Graham posted:

leaving him to have to write a whole Season 5 of filler

jms posted:

I don't usually comment on this, but...if I had known *with absolute certainty* that there would be a season 5, then season 4 would have ended with 418, "Intersections in Real Time." So you only pull 4 episodes forward, really. You'll understand when you see it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Lost my honor. AGAIN.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

MorgaineDax posted:

Picard would have taken that deal.

:heysexy:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dont even fink about it posted:

If you're not cool with your acting career dying after Trek, you should not sign up for Trek.

I was referring to Robert Leeshock who left Earth Final Cornflake between seasons 4 and 5 because he was trying to land the lead on Enterprise. The EFC producers told him he there was no coming back if he left. He pursued the Trek role anyways and when it didn't happen his career was pretty much over. But had he gotten the role of Archer he would indeed still be "working."

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rhyno posted:

I was referring to Robert Leeshock who left Earth Final Cornflake between seasons 4 and 5 because he was trying to land the lead on Enterprise. The EFC producers told him he there was no coming back if he left. He pursued the Trek role anyways and when it didn't happen his career was pretty much over. But had he gotten the role of Archer he would indeed still be "working."

What are you talking about? He was great in this, just last year:
http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt3973814/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Aw man. Ron Glass, the guy who played Shepherd Book on Firefly, has died. :smith:

(And since this is the Star Trek thread, he apparently also guest starred in a Voyager episode I never actually saw.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GutBomb posted:

I really want to watch that.

Edit: Welp. Just got to the BORG episode of Enterprise and holy poo poo this is terrible.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 27, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powered Descent posted:

Aw man. Ron Glass, the guy who played Shepherd Book on Firefly, has died. :smith:

(And since this is the Star Trek thread, he apparently also guest starred in a Voyager episode I never actually saw.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQ6ZC8EUQ0

Pay attention to the t-shirts.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I really want to watch that.

Edit: Welp. Just got to the BORG episode of Enterprise and holy poo poo this is terrible.

Oh hey check out our new prequel show it's new and different and it's got stuff you've never seen before

*sweeps arrives, they double down on a loving Borg episode*

It wouldn't have mattered if the episode was good or bad, the fact that they did it at all was just another slap in the face

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The 80s Twilight Zone was so underrated, just as good if not better than the original. (the 2000s one was decent but still worse than the other two)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of Archer, it is true that if you have a substantive career before Star Trek, you can maintain one after--especially if you're a lead. Bakula is a lead on a hit show now, of course he was one before Enterprise as well. And of course Stewart has had just a big a career in X-Men as Star Trek arguably. And despite some dry spells, Shatner had big success on TJ Hooker, Rescue 911, and Boston Legal.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

What you have to understand is that Voyager was created as a reaction to DS9. DS9's ratings were not as good as next gen's, thus voyager needs to do the opposite in every respect. The 50 year mission book really lays it out. Like the whole guiding principle to voyager was "Don't' be like ds9, which is bad and not a clone of next gen which means it's not REAL TREK"

Both DS9 and Voyager were desperately trying to get to the position TNG had: legitimately mainstream Trek that everyone watched and liked. No three year stint and done, no movies, but actual honest-to-God mainstream Trek.

Deep Space 9 tried to do that by being Not Your Dad's Star Trek. The kind of Trek where Superman would die and Venom would be a regular, and the villans of What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and The American Way as the heroes.

Voyager tried to do that by aping TNG as hard as it could, with episodic plots and relying on basically three characters (The Captain, The Borg, and the Doctor) for all the depth it could muster. If DS9 was an attempt to shake things up, Voyager was comfortable Trek. Given how often we hear talk in this thread about someone shocked that they liked Voyager more than DS9, I think they succeeded in that respect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

Speaking of Archer, it is true that if you have a substantive career before Star Trek, you can maintain one after--especially if you're a lead. Bakula is a lead on a hit show now, of course he was one before Enterprise as well. And of course Stewart has had just a big a career in X-Men as Star Trek arguably. And despite some dry spells, Shatner had big success on TJ Hooker, Rescue 911, and Boston Legal.

I doubt anyone looks at Scott Bakula and Trek is the first thing that comes to mind.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

I doubt anyone looks at Scott Bakula and Trek is the first thing that comes to mind.

It's all about Men of a Certain Age

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tighclops posted:

Oh hey check out our new prequel show it's new and different and it's got stuff you've never seen before

*sweeps arrives, they double down on a loving Borg episode*

It wouldn't have mattered if the episode was good or bad, the fact that they did it at all was just another slap in the face
One good thing about them doing it online is that they don't have to worry about it

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Quantum Leap was before I was born so to me he's "the Quantum Leap guy who played Archer"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
That's DOCTOR Sam "guy who played Archer" Beckett to you son

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Does anyone have the copy of Gene's infamous "Ferengi memo" that was floating around last year? A friend just got to their intro episode and I definitely want to shock the hell out of him, but my Googling is just turning up some quotes on Memory Alpha - .jpg images of the actual memo (two or three pages long) was posted a while back.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
The wife and I just finished watching Voyager a few days ago. I'd watched it in its initial run up until about season 4.5 or so and had not-so-great memories of watching it with my first wife, plus remembering the stupidity of episodes like Threshold and Tuvix...

It was better than I remembered. I actually got a bit emotional when Neelix was leaving and Tuvok did his little foot-dance for him. I'm not sure if its old age, or just missing new Trek for so long, but I'd rate Voyager as good overall, with some real stinker episodes in there (and a lot of questionable choices by Janeway). The actors did their best with what they were working with. It just makes me wish they'd had better writers and could have done arcs instead of episodic TV (though I realize why they went that route).

So, here's my current ratings for Star Trek series -

TOS - Mostly great, with some stinkers thrown in (a lot of the 3rd season)
TNG - Mostly great, with some stinkers thrown in (most of the 1st season, some of the 7th)
DS9 - Mostly great, with some stinkers thrown in (mostly in the 1st and 2nd season)
Voyager - Mostly good, with some great episodes and some stinkers occasionally (spread throughout the series)

We just started a watch-through of Enterprise and I plan to make it all the way through this time. I've tried this before and got bogged down in the 2nd season but I will do it this time. We just finished the first Andorian episode and it was awesome if just for Jeffrey Combs (who, like John Saxon, makes everything better just by being in it).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

timeandtide posted:

Does anyone have the copy of Gene's infamous "Ferengi memo" that was floating around last year? A friend just got to their intro episode and I definitely want to shock the hell out of him, but my Googling is just turning up some quotes on Memory Alpha - .jpg images of the actual memo (two or three pages long) was posted a while back.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

DS9 doesn't have enough "attractive white men" in it? Rick Berman made sure Tom Paris would be a strong handsome white male lead for white males to relate to. This was important to him.

As a kid it took me forever to realize that people didn't think Bashir was white.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't usually comment on this, but...if I had known *with absolute certainty* that there would be a season 5, then season 4 would have ended with 418, "Intersections in Real Time." So you only pull 4 episodes forward, really. You'll understand when you see it.

That's fine. You take those four episodes out of the telepath arc, the whole thing can get tightened up. The Centauri war was good as it stands.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

As a kid it took me forever to realize that people didn't think Bashir was white.

Wait, people think that? Like I knew on a conscious level that racial divisions are basically bullshit but this really drives it home

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah he's literally an Arab. It didn't really occur to me but he's a descendant of Muhammed and everything, like super famous.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Always found it weird that Trek people still use holodecks when there have been so many moments where the holograms start to run amok like in westworld.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Always found it weird that Trek people still use holodecks when there have been so many moments where the holograms start to run amok like in westworld.

A magic room that can make all of my fantasies happen at the cost of a slim chance that it might kill me.

I don't personally know anyone who wouldn't play those odds.

gently caress, people know that smoking WILL kill you and they still do it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah he's literally an Arab. It didn't really occur to me but he's a descendant of Muhammed and everything, like super famous.

I literally didn't realize that Bashir was an Arabic name when I watched the show as a kid. All I noticed was the British accent.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The Dark One posted:

I literally didn't realize that Bashir was an Arabic name when I watched the show as a kid. All I noticed was the British accent.
Same here

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Edit: I was wrong about that, nevermind.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 27, 2016

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I think it would be interesting to see some sort of alternate reality NextGen where someone makes this idea actually work. I mean, the Ferengi as described here would make a pretty good anti-Federation who didn't really want to conquer the galaxy but were just ideologically opposite. If they'd lost the electro-whips and lecherous bouncy troll attributes, and re-interpreted them as more behind-the-scenes manipulators who didn't face the Federation head-on but bribed their way through interstellar politics and proxy wars, arms deals, and the like, it would have been really unique. But probably too slow for 90's TV, you'd really need arcs to make that work.

GutBomb posted:

drat, that character list.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MikeJF posted:

That's fine. You take those four episodes out of the telepath arc, the whole thing can get tightened up. The Centauri war was good as it stands.

Yeah, absolutely; it's not a whole series of filler is my point

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Arglebargle III posted:

Well, he's descended from a guy named Muhammad, not necessarily the Last Prophet.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Well, he's descended from a guy named Muhammad, not necessarily the Last Prophet.

He's descended from Muhammad Ahmad ibn Abd Allah al-Mahdi, who did indeed claim descent from the prophet Muhammad. Whether there was any truth to the claim is certainly not verifiable, but there's nothing innately improbable about it, there's an absolute gently caress ton of sayyids out there.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hi thread. It's been several dozen pages. Does ST:D still look like it's going to be a total (space age maglev) trainwreck? Have they even cast it yet? Last I heard it was due to start airing sometime in the Spring and there was every indication they were just gonna slam some Red Bulls and shoot everything the night before?

Also did the fanfilm coffee profiteers get they dicks slapped off in court yet?

Thanks.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi.

At 12 it took me a while to work out who was who in the credits.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Hi thread. It's been several dozen pages. Does ST:D still look like it's going to be a total (space age maglev) trainwreck? Have they even cast it yet? Last I heard it was due to start airing sometime in the Spring and there was every indication they were just gonna slam some Red Bulls and shoot everything the night before?

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/788489-michelle-yeoh-star-trek-discovery

I think that's the only thing that's come out so far.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Knormal posted:

I think it would be interesting to see some sort of alternate reality NextGen where someone makes this idea actually work. I mean, the Ferengi as described here would make a pretty good anti-Federation who didn't really want to conquer the galaxy but were just ideologically opposite. If they'd lost the electro-whips and lecherous bouncy troll attributes, and re-interpreted them as more behind-the-scenes manipulators who didn't face the Federation head-on but bribed their way through interstellar politics and proxy wars, arms deals, and the like, it would have been really unique. But probably too slow for 90's TV, you'd really need arcs to make that work.

It'd be interesting, but then they'd be even more of an Evil Space Jew caricature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

At this rate Discovery will just be Michelle Yeoh and a cast of muppets.