Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Didn't Sleepy Pups have a last minute redesign when they lost the True Crime license?

It definitely had some story issues, take for example everything involved in the dating subplots where characters will reference things that didn't happen and treating one date like they were having an exclusive relationship.

Also the game was really awkward about demonstrating how much time was passing between missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

I guess witcher 3 is a real mehhhhhhh for me, I just can't really explain why I don't like it.

Odd since I'm sure you can do your screen name to the peasantry.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

I guess witcher 3 is a real mehhhhhhh for me, I just can't really explain why I don't like it.

have you played a souls game? Its kind of like souls but bad if the only thing of relevance to you is combat. I like the witcher 3 but not so much for its combat.

As for the Division. I get the creepy feelings about its hunt the poor and uneducated mission but its so pretty and who looks at cut-scenes in an mmo. Its like rationalizing that Batman only cares about social order because he's a billionaire. If he gave a gently caress about the causes of a crime in a city he could change that. In the real world Liam Neeson and Christian Bale have fun action sequences. Its like the price you pay for playing something with Tom Clancy's name attached. So fascist tendencies are fine by me.

Also Sleeping Dogs is loving great. Hong Kong has a million times more personality than generic american city. I ca't remember dick about the story but the game didn't outstay its welcome and was about as coherent as your average hollywood mess. Like you literally have neighbors when you walk out of your lovely apartment with long conversations that you would rush down the stairs to avoid in real life.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sleeping Dogs was great because I chopped 30 men to death with a meat cleaver between cutscenes of telling my superior I had everything under control and not to worry about me

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Goofballs posted:

have you played a souls game? Its kind of like souls but bad if the only thing of relevance to you is combat. I like the witcher 3 but not so much for its combat.

I've played through all 3, even going as far as to get all the faiths/rings in 3 :shepicide:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

That's like an old problem. Like in San Andreas the plot is CJ is framed for the murder of a cop. CJ likely murders like at least 20 cops depending on how you play before the next blackmail plot point. And he's probably not subtle about it and its not like the game can tell.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

It's alright, we'll be around to burn you for heresy later.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Goofballs posted:

fascist tendencies are fine by me

Quoted for posterity.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Goofballs posted:

That's like an old problem. Like in San Andreas the plot is CJ is framed for the murder of a cop. CJ likely murders like at least 20 cops depending on how you play before the next blackmail plot point. And he's probably not subtle about it and its not like the game can tell.

Also they are worried about him being arrested, which is something that can happen at any time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blind Sally posted:

F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point

One more complaint about Extraction Point: I know the FEAR games don't play well on new systems, but Extraction Point kept crashing after about an hour of gameplay. Good thing it's short.

I'll give it this: that last section in the hospital was genuinely creepy. Moreso than the jump scares from the first game. Great atmosphere.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Sleeping Dogs was great because I chopped 30 men to death with a meat cleaver between cutscenes of telling my superior I had everything under control and not to worry about me
I love those cutscenes so much. Sleeping Dogs is a great game. You're like two missions into the game when you start throwing dudes off roofs and murdering them with air conditioners and poo poo.

In-game Wei and cutscene Wei are two very, very different people. I love story-driven open world games. They do not make any sense, but Sleeping Dogs is really fun and Hong Kong is awesome to run around in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Honestly my main problem with CJs story in San Andreas was that I couldn't bring myself to give a rats rear end about the toxic rear end in a top hat that was his brother. If you're the only person in your family who hadn't been to jail in the last 6 months and you get criticised for it? gently caress that! If someone like that asks something as confrontational as "You think you're better than me?" or "You a busta?" the correct answer is obvious - Yes rear end in a top hat, CJ is a better man than you because he took the effort to get out. Tenpenny dragged him back in, sure, but he was just as bad. Don't act so goddamn high and mighty when the first thing that the person you are bitching at did was pick you up from jail. After SA CJ should have just severed.

Also to contribute something - I just played through Rugrats: Search for Reptar. My god those controls were bad, weird variation on tank controls. Luckily I got a few puzzle pieces from bonus levels so I was able to skip a few levels. The one bright spot is the ending. THat was fun and funny, although Tommy apparently has a very advanced, sardonic sense of humour for a one-year-old if the final level is to be believed. Tommy, after finding all his puzzle pieces and completing his jigsaw, has a dream with Reptar rampaging around the city. At one point the dialog from the news coverage of this comes out with "Weather will be cloudy with a small chance of falling buildings!" How the hell a small baby could have dreamed that line, or, even if he had heard it in some movie, placed it in the correct context I'll never know.

Although I remember Rugrats in Paris being much better, although much harder as well.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly my main problem with CJs story in San Andreas was that I couldn't bring myself to give a rats rear end about the toxic rear end in a top hat that was his brother. If you're the only person in your family who hadn't been to jail in the last 6 months and you get criticised for it? gently caress that! If someone like that asks something as confrontational as "You think you're better than me?" or "You a busta?" the correct answer is obvious - Yes rear end in a top hat, CJ is a better man than you because he took the effort to get out.

I can assure you that, in my experience, Australian bogans use this logic constantly; AKA "Tall poppy syndrome".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It kind of makes sense at the beginning of the game because CJ is still kind of messed up from his mom's death. So of course when his brother starts saying he abandoned his family he's going to believe him. It just becomes stupid at the end of the game when the brother does it again. That's when CJ should have just told him to gently caress off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I can assure you that, in my experience, Australian bogans use this logic constantly; AKA "Tall poppy syndrome".

In the immortal words of Winston Zeddimore: If someone asks if you are a god you say yes!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

BioEnchanted posted:

In the immortal words of Winston Zeddimore: If someone asks if you are a god you say yes!

They tend to get confused when you respond in the affirmative, as they weren't expecting that response.

I used to know somebody who used to go around asking it to university student Bolsheviks, and watch them struggle to give an answer that equated to: "Yes but no." He found it greatly amusing.

CONTENT:

In Fallout 4; they should have made guns a lot rarer, leaving the player to defend themselves as best they could using melee weapons. It would have added a lot more of a sense of a lone Vault Dweller up against a hostile, overwhelming world, as opposed to the Vault Dweller Ubermensch who effortlessly cuts down armies of people far more experienced in the wastes than they. Being as it is, it is far too easy to simple snipe enemies from about 200m away, with them unable to defend themselves, even if they survived the first shot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Battlefield 1: Did you know that vehicles can have different load outs? I certainly didn't until tonight. You know how you can look at and unlock the alternate load outs? You have to click on a vehicle spawn then click customize. This means you cannot unlock load outs for vehicles if all your vehicle slots are being taken up. Oh and even better? While looking at the load out screen you've reserved the vehicle slot so no one else can spawn the vehicle!

Also the AA truck takes up a vehicle slot. You gotta use up your limited and valuable vehicle slots to counter air vehicles from the ground if when the sky gods destroy all the emplaced turrets. Also skygods in general, since single player has different controls then multiplayer you can't actually practice your flying abilities outside of multiplayer. Good luck, you have about a 50/50 chance of dying as soon as you spawn in by a guy camping the spot planes fly in at.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

muscles like this! posted:

It definitely had some story issues, take for example everything involved in the dating subplots where characters will reference things that didn't happen and treating one date like they were having an exclusive relationship.

Also the game was really awkward about demonstrating how much time was passing between missions.

Didn't most of the relationship stuff literally vanish from the game after you took her out on a date or something? I can't remember her being involved in the game at all anymore after that.

Tiggum posted:

It's always particularly annoying when you get a choice in a conversation that's something like making a terrible deal or being inconvenienced, and so you're going to take the inconvenience, because if you say you'll take the deal then you know the game won't let you back out of it or just fail to hold up your end.

KOTOR 2, while a cool game, is really super bad about this kind of stuff. Your options will be like "I'll do the thing" "(lie)I'll do the thing" "I won't do the thing" but why bother having the lie option. If I'm going to change my mind and betray the guy, why not just let me do that instead of making it lock me into one or the other based on whether or not I (lie)

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Nuebot posted:

Didn't most of the relationship stuff literally vanish from the game after you took her out on a date or something? I can't remember her being involved in the game at all anymore after that.

Yes exactly. There were supposed to be choices and romantic subplots that gave different benefits, but it was all scrapped to one-date-per-person due to time(/money?) constraints.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

KOTOR 2, while a cool game, is really super bad about this kind of stuff. Your options will be like "I'll do the thing" "(lie)I'll do the thing" "I won't do the thing" but why bother having the lie option. If I'm going to change my mind and betray the guy, why not just let me do that instead of making it lock me into one or the other based on whether or not I (lie)

If thats the one I'm thinking of, it gains influence with Kreia cause since you lied you can choose to influence the outcome however you like, as opposed to fully accepting or rejecting the guy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dordreff posted:

Shadow Warrior 2: the main character has a bunch of spectacularly lovely, banal one-liners and won't just shut the gently caress up.

Thats the point though
Lo Wang is supposed to be a massive unlikeable dork.

You should see the wang cave in SW1.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

If thats the one I'm thinking of, it gains influence with Kreia cause since you lied you can choose to influence the outcome however you like, as opposed to fully accepting or rejecting the guy.

There's basically no reason to never chose the lie option since it lets you pick either way, it just usually gets you a minor amount of dark side points. But it's hard being fully darkside in that game unless you go full in cartoonish villain.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd forgotten how unfun the final mission in Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit is - they chose the plane chase scene as the final boss which does make sense, but the implementation is so wonky as to be frustrating - not only do you have no way to control your speed, it is a completely new mechanic that has never been seen before in game, when normally the game is good about introducing you to it's more unusual fare, and it is very sloppy to control - you get no ability to really aim, just spray and pray and while there are heat seeking missiles for your plane they are finite in the field, bad at homing and hard to catch even after you release them from the box - you have to shoot the box and maneuver into the missile to pick it up, and if you miss it, goodbye missile.

Every other part of the game is fine. It introduces the mechanics properly, they work well enough when you get used to them and it can be fun when you are doing well. But now I've 100%ed it so yay!

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats the point though
Lo Wang is supposed to be a massive unlikeable dork.

You should see the wang cave in SW1.

I'd rather not. I really don't see how actively making the main character insanely loving annoying really improves the experience of a game, but I guess if that's "the point" I'm happy I refunded that poo poo after 10 minutes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The whole joke is that he isn't impressing anyone. By the end of the first reboot game Lo Wang is so irrelevant to the plot the demonic characters basically literally put Lo Wang in a corner and tell him "Be quiet, the adults are talking." The realisation hits that Lo Wang isn't the main character - he is the comedy sidekick.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

The whole joke is that he isn't impressing anyone. By the end of the first reboot game Lo Wang is so irrelevant to the plot the demonic characters basically literally put Lo Wang in a corner and tell him "Be quiet, the adults are talking." The realisation hits that Lo Wang isn't the main character - he is the comedy sidekick.

So you're not just an unlikeable shithead, you're a pointless unlikeable shithead. Definitely glad to have returned that poo poo, then.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

dordreff posted:

So you're not just an unlikeable shithead, you're a pointless unlikeable shithead. Definitely glad to have returned that poo poo, then.

The humour is supposed to be less from his behaviour, more from the dichotomy of his ridiculousness clashing with the gameplay making him seem badass. He'll fight armies of demons like a pro but he still likes his toys and sings along to his car radio. Hell, the point of his character is to show the depths his character goes to - he's a goof, but not an idiot. When he finds out about the demon companions amnesia he actually asks some smart questions, like "Could you have done it to yourself, to forget something harmful?" or "What's the extent of the amnesia" - he asks smart questions that are prying at the right places. Also there's the great level when he goes back to his company, acting to his boss like nothings changed.As he says to the demon: "Some of us learned not to burn bridges" Hell the villain doesn't even notice anything wrong until the head demon reminds him that he only sent Wang after one piece of the sword, so why has Wang come to him with two?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love those cutscenes so much. Sleeping Dogs is a great game. You're like two missions into the game when you start throwing dudes off roofs and murdering them with air conditioners and poo poo.

In-game Wei and cutscene Wei are two very, very different people. I love story-driven open world games. They do not make any sense, but Sleeping Dogs is really fun and Hong Kong is awesome to run around in.

dressing Wei up in shades as the game progresses is great bc as the action escalates, he wakes up in his apartment wigging out looking like a strung out junkie and not seeing his eyes adds to that layer of crazy in cutscenes.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

It kind of makes sense at the beginning of the game because CJ is still kind of messed up from his mom's death. So of course when his brother starts saying he abandoned his family he's going to believe him. It just becomes stupid at the end of the game when the brother does it again. That's when CJ should have just told him to gently caress off.

CJ actually did abandon his family, though. He did something that got his other brother killed, and then skipped town for Liberty City without even staying for the funeral.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Leal posted:

since single player has different controls then multiplayer

Why the gently caress?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

dordreff posted:

It sounds like you just legitimately hate silly fun if the MC quipping was enough to make you furiously mash on refund in 10 minutes, good lord man.

Schubalts posted:

Why the gently caress?

:dice:

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Nov 27, 2016

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Also to contribute something - I just played through Rugrats: Search for Reptar. My god those controls were bad, weird variation on tank controls. Luckily I got a few puzzle pieces from bonus levels so I was able to skip a few levels. The one bright spot is the ending. THat was fun and funny, although Tommy apparently has a very advanced, sardonic sense of humour for a one-year-old if the final level is to be believed. Tommy, after finding all his puzzle pieces and completing his jigsaw, has a dream with Reptar rampaging around the city. At one point the dialog from the news coverage of this comes out with "Weather will be cloudy with a small chance of falling buildings!" How the hell a small baby could have dreamed that line, or, even if he had heard it in some movie, placed it in the correct context I'll never know.

It's pretty much the title of a children's book.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo
I recently went through my old PC game collection, and found a copy of Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit.

On a whim, I decided to reinstall it on this current PC, and see how it went.

The game was released 18 years ago, and is running on a PC approx. 30 times the power of the recommended requirements, and it STILL tanks the framerate when you run it with particle effects.

On the plus side, I did relive several pleasant memories of cackling at my brother when he (frequently) failed in Hot Pursuit mode, so definitely worth my time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dordreff posted:

Or you could have just turned off the subtitles and voice volume and enjoyed SW2 for the ridiculously good action game it is.

Everything related to the plot/quests gets so incredibly incoherent and badly presented that you aren't missing a thing by skipping it, ignoring everything any character says, and just enjoying what the game does best from the start.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, who the hell is playing SW2 for the plot and deep characters.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

dordreff posted:

I'd rather not. I really don't see how actively making the main character insanely loving annoying really improves the experience of a game, but I guess if that's "the point" I'm happy I refunded that poo poo after 10 minutes.

You're the type of person who gets irrationally mad at Claptrap, aren't you?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly my main problem with CJs story in San Andreas was that I couldn't bring myself to give a rats rear end about the toxic rear end in a top hat that was his brother. If you're the only person in your family who hadn't been to jail in the last 6 months and you get criticised for it? gently caress that! If someone like that asks something as confrontational as "You think you're better than me?" or "You a busta?" the correct answer is obvious - Yes rear end in a top hat, CJ is a better man than you because he took the effort to get out. Tenpenny dragged him back in, sure, but he was just as bad. Don't act so goddamn high and mighty when the first thing that the person you are bitching at did was pick you up from jail. After SA CJ should have just severed.

This comes to a head when his brother gets out of jail, and CJ is so excitedly eager to tell him how much stuff he's got going on (he's a manager to a rap artist, he owns an airport, whatever) and his brother chews him out about how Only Grove Street Matters and suckers CJ back in.

gently caress you, man.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

This comes to a head when his brother gets out of jail, and CJ is so excitedly eager to tell him how much stuff he's got going on (he's a manager to a rap artist, he owns an airport, whatever) and his brother chews him out about how Only Grove Street Matters and suckers CJ back in.

gently caress you, man.
Never managed to get into the game because of that bullshit. Oh, I should be caring about the neighbourhood full of people who either ran at the first hint of trouble or actively tried to kill me? gently caress you. The only support I've had is from the latino guy banging our sister, the blind yakuza guy, and the CIA agent who surely should try and gently caress you over but is actually a stand up guy. gently caress Grove Street. If it matters that much to you, I'm now rich and powerful enough that I'll buy the whole drat thing for you. Then a few words in the right ears and we'll have Tenpenny doing "just say no" speeches from inside a dog costume at local schools.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Take solace in the fact that by the time GTA 5 rolls around, Grove st is taken over by baller bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sunswipe posted:

Never managed to get into the game because of that bullshit. Oh, I should be caring about the neighbourhood full of people who either ran at the first hint of trouble or actively tried to kill me? gently caress you. The only support I've had is from the latino guy banging our sister, the blind yakuza guy, and the CIA agent who surely should try and gently caress you over but is actually a stand up guy. gently caress Grove Street. If it matters that much to you, I'm now rich and powerful enough that I'll buy the whole drat thing for you. Then a few words in the right ears and we'll have Tenpenny doing "just say no" speeches from inside a dog costume at local schools.

I really liked the blind Yakuza guy.