Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

pillsburysoldier posted:

Is Kirby really really christian? That's saved Richt a couple times in the past

I don't think to nearly the same extent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FAU fired Charlie Partridge, so there's another job open

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I don't think that Oregon job is a good job, it is the new Nebraska. USCw level expectations with USCe level recruiting.
Oregon's put themselves in a position where contending for a Pac-12 title should be possible every year. Great facilities, tons of money, a national brand, and recent success put them up near the top of the good jobs out west. Now success can be fleeting, and they got really lucky with Chip Kelly, but Oregon's rise as a power hasn't been overnight; it's taken a few decades.

Remember that Chip only came in 2007, as OC.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

his offense doesn't work without a QB who can run

Well our only QB who can throw is a pocket passer. If Kyle Allen actually does transfer here to stick with Herman, that probably means two pocket passers as QB1 and QB2. I guess he could rediscover Jerrod Heard.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Thermos H Christ posted:

Well our only QB who can throw is a pocket passer. If Kyle Allen actually does transfer here to stick with Herman, that probably means two pocket passers as QB1 and QB2. I guess he could rediscover Jerrod Heard.

Stay away from Tim Brewster you douchers

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Stay away from Tim Brewster you douchers

He wants to come home - sometimes a man has to return to his roots.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Tim Brewster: desirable coach is a weird development

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Adun posted:

He's a great recruiter

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Adun posted:

He's not going to be running the program, just going around being an awesome recruiter.

The dude convinced Vince Young to come to Austin instead of peak Miami in 2001. Pretty drat impressive.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

usually people become head coaches because they were super good assistant coaches first

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

That Works posted:

I already pulled out of the alumni association for UT once the whole "lets let college kids bring guns on campus" thing passed.

Still watch them on TV when I can but am not going back to campus or giving money in any way to the program from here on out. Sucks.

you stopped donating to the university which featured students grabbing guns and shooting back at the clocktower sniper, because they now officially allow guns on campus.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

usually people become head coaches because they were super good assistant coaches first

I had forgotten that he was a great college assistant because he'd been in the NFL for a few years before the Gophers randomly hired a freaking TE coach

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Kyle Allen being mad Herman left and immediately trying to follow him is one of the funniest aspects of the 2016 Coaching Carousel.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I already pulled out of the alumni association for UT once the whole "lets let college kids bring guns on campus" thing passed.

Still watch them on TV when I can but am not going back to campus or giving money in any way to the program from here on out. Sucks.

It's probably better for all if you gave that money to a real charity anyway, but the school had absolutely no power over that and fought it in every way it could.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

PostNouveau posted:

It's probably better for all if you gave that money to a real charity anyway, but the school had absolutely no power over that and fought it in every way it could.

Also that, the president loving hates the thing

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Scionix posted:

Also that, the president loving hates the thing

So does our Chancellor, you know, the former commander of our Special Forces, but really we should be listening to various dental hygenists from Plano instead of McRaven.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PostNouveau posted:

It is the only way to register a protest / complaint and while trivial, not giving money to the University due to the policy is the only way that any change will ever be made (well apart from the inevitable mentally unstable kid killing his professor or two). All of the people I graduated with (scientists) have distanced themselves from the program / pulled out of the Texas Exes organization as well and we all wrote a letter to the dean of our college explaining that we wouldn't set foot on campus again, give an intellectual contribution to or give any finances in any way to the university. I expect it probably got a chuckle as it was tossed in the trash but eh what else can you do?

Scionix posted:

you stopped donating to the university which featured students grabbing guns and shooting back at the clocktower sniper, because they now officially allow guns on campus.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Uh, yeah, a kid with a Glock in his backpack is the protection we need from a USMC trained shooter in a high cover position.

Anyway this is going to end up being a bad and stupid derail so I'll drop.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/802959607366754304

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/CoachTomHerman/status/802937153290285056

Hahahahahjajahajahahhahahahah

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spacebump posted:

Kyle Allen being mad Herman left and immediately trying to follow him is one of the funniest aspects of the 2016 Coaching Carousel.

Mad? I think that was his plan all along. Make UH pay for the rest of his whatever degree and start Week 1 wherever Herman went off to in 17.

Houston for Cuckold Program of the Year 2016

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Oh shut the gently caress up Tom

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Man UH sure got salty about this. I thought that was just life outside the P5? Your good coaches always leave.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I wonder where Herman keeps his grill

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

So..I know this conflicts with Daric's account of Herman the philandering drunk. But, I think the guy really did appreciate Houston, it's culture and the opportunity that UH gave him. If the Oklahoma schools did not block UH's entry into the Big XII, he would still be at UH. That quote is likely genuine.

The dude is going to be a recruiting nightmare too. I met him once briefly before he started and recommended a restaurant to him, and he remembered it the second the time I met him post Peach Bowl win and thanked me because he liked the place.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I like Herman and what he did for UH, and I don't think anyone should feel bad about losing Herman to Texas.

It always rested on the Big 12.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
At least Houston is at a position, financially and competitively, that we don't really have to worry about football coaches being snatched up by just anyone.

But if Houston brings back Briles I swear to god the athletic department will never get a penny from me again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I guess I've never had a coach leave. What's the ideal way to do it that Herman didn't live up to? Who recently has left a school in a way that didn't piss off the school they left?

It strikes me as kind of like laying people off. Everyone always complains that it wasn't handled well, but there's no good way to do it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PostNouveau posted:

I guess I've never had a coach leave. What's the ideal way to do it that Herman didn't live up to? Who recently has left a school in a way that didn't piss off the school they left?

It strikes me as kind of like laying people off. Everyone always complains that it wasn't handled well, but there's no good way to do it.

Jim Pittman?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

PostNouveau posted:

I'd say wait until your regular season is over. There will always be a few pissed off people, but if you aren't actively negotiating while you're supposed to be prepping for the next game (especially when you go on to lose it) people will be ok.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I'd say wait until your regular season is over. There will always be a few pissed off people, but if you aren't actively negotiating while you're supposed to be prepping for the next game (especially when you go on to lose it) people will be ok.

That seems kinda impractical these days

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

That's how all job searches go while you're employed.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

There's no good way to do it really. You are pretty much forced to either let opportunities go by because you don't let your agent work on things during the season, or you end up having to lie to your players and the press. It's not like he could have said before the game "Oh yeah got it locked up with Texas already but let's go out there and win, woo!" I mean, players will swear up and down that they are staying and then end up announcing for the draft, it's just how it goes. We don't, and shouldn't, hold it against them for doing what is best for themselves, so I can't really hold it against coaches.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I'm not so mad at Herman (whom just needs to stop looking back) as just generally frustrated at not being able to have and keep nice things, and that there seems to be nothing that can be said or done or bought or built that is going to change that.

UH will be fine this time, but can I say the same in three years when the next coach is moving on to the Big 12?

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 27, 2016

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Korranus posted:

I'm not so mad at Herman (whom just needs to stop looking back) as just generally frustrated at not being able to have and keep nice things, and that there seems to be nothing that can be said or done or bought or built that is going to change that.

UH will be fine this time, but can I say the same in three years when the next coach is moving on to the Big 12?

Welcome to life as a mid-major. Wanna be mad at someone, be mad at Texas/Oklahoma for not expanding and giving you a seat at the table. Otherwise, accept reality and start the coaching search again.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Korranus posted:

Well... you could be a LA Tech fan and they come calling for your coach before you even get anywhere good.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

PostNouveau posted:

Petersen didn't piss anyone off at Boise as far as I know, but he's an outlier in that he gave the school far more time than most would have due to his family situation.

There's probably still someone who hates him, but as a Boise fan I just want to see him do the best that he can.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Welcome to life as a mid-major.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

There are still a few BG fans who were mad at Urban for moving up the ladder. Christ

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Looks like Reno's Brian Polian has been fired.

hahahah Sanchez you loving lost to a coach that got fired get hosed

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

PostNouveau posted:

Man UH sure got salty about this. I thought that was just life outside the P5? Your good coaches always leave.

We've had three coaches leave us for former in-state SWC rivals, I think that would make anyone salty

Also, our best coach ever (Yeoman) didn't leave us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

curried lamb of God posted:

We've had three coaches leave us for former in-state SWC rivals, I think that would make anyone salty

I get this to a degree, but the SWC has been dead for literally 2 decades now.

• Locked thread