Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Delsaber posted:

At this rate Discovery will just be Michelle Yeoh and a cast of muppets.

So, Farscape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

So, Farscape?

I liked Farscape, it was fun.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Delsaber posted:

At this rate Discovery will just be Michelle Yeoh and a cast of muppets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHsr7Chmff8

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The more I hear about the Discovery, the more it sounds like such a trainwreck that the whole project's just going to be abandoned.

Except Netflix already paid for it. So they have to get something out. Every week that they don't sort Discovery makes Captain Worf more likely.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I would watch a Rockne O'Bannon Star Trek.

I would watch Worf gently caress a muppet.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Firebert posted:

I would watch a Rockne O'Bannon Star Trek.

I would watch Worf gently caress a muppet.

The TV IV>Star Trek>I Would Watch Worf gently caress a Muppet.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
At this point I have to think that it's going to get pushed back again. I'm no Hollywood expert, but it's scheduled premiere six months from now and they don't even have a cast yet. That seems like way too short a time to produce 13 (or so) hour-long episodes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pakled posted:

At this point I have to think that it's going to get pushed back again. I'm no Hollywood expert, but it's scheduled premiere six months from now and they don't even have a cast yet. That seems like way too short a time to produce 13 (or so) hour-long episodes.

They'll hand it over to Matt Stone and Trey Parker to make seven seasons a week before the release date, then use the leftover money to vacation in Jamaica.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pakled posted:

TNG and DS9 made 26 hour episodes in a year, and they didn't work during the summer break.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

TNG and DS9 made 26 hour episodes in a year, and they didn't work during the summer break.

Indeed. Also to use a more recent example, Enterprise only started shooting its pilot 3-4 months prior to airdate, and the casting deals for that were only finalized in the week before shooting began.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Didn't they start filming DS9 before they had cast Terry Farrell as Dax?

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Grand Fromage posted:

I forget if I ever posted the USS Derp from Chinese Toys-R-Us but I ran across the pic again so enjoy.

I'd like to imagine that someone was asked to make a model of a Nebula class ship but the only reference they had was someone sending pictures of one over snapchat or something

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What a cruel way to remember a great actor.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Zaroff posted:

Didn't they start filming DS9 before they had cast Terry Farrell as Dax?

Yeah, pretty sure they just filmed around her scenes for a few days.

And don't forget recasting Janeway two days into shooting.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Grand Fromage posted:

I forget if I ever posted the USS Derp from Chinese Toys-R-Us but I ran across the pic again so enjoy.

Hyperriker posted:

I'd like to imagine that someone was asked to make a model of a Nebula class ship but the only reference they had was someone sending pictures of one over snapchat or something

"They rebuilt me, everything works...but they had never seen a human Nebula. They had no guide putting me back together."

The saucer itself actually looks pretty well put together, even though it's a mashup of different design elements. The seam lines could use some work though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Patterns of Force: "Hey McCoy, can you beam down? Oh, and I'm dressing you like a Nazi SS doctor."

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've always fantasized about an FX Star Trek series consisting of actors from Justified and Sons of Anarchy. Captain Timothy Olyphant, Chief Engineer Donal Logue (okay -Terriers), Doctor Ron Perlman, Ensign Theo Rossi, security chief Kim Coates, Science officer Natalie Zea, Admiral Nick Searcy.

:classiclol:

Edit: I forgot Walter Goggins, he'd have to be advisory turned companion.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 28, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ, Captain Walt Goggins.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
For an FX series I'd want this all the time:

https://vimeo.com/70518741

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L54GYRcxSM

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

If Star Trek were to imitate FX I'd want "It's Always Sunny in Deep Space."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Hey, you guys remember the old Hallmark Trek ornaments from the 90's that you had to plug into the lines of christmas lights? I scored a few more of them for my mom's collection this year and I was wondering if it were possible to plug them into LED strands with replaceable bulbs, or if everything would explode and burn down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tighclops posted:

Hey, you guys remember the old Hallmark Trek ornaments from the 90's that you had to plug into the lines of christmas lights? I scored a few more of them for my mom's collection this year and I was wondering if it were possible to plug them into LED strands with replaceable bulbs, or if everything would explode and burn down.

Only one way to find out! :science:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

Depends on the brand of LED lights, those old ornaments require either 3.5 or 6 volt sockets. The Philips mini LED strands that I have are 3.4 volts but I don't have any of the powered ornaments so :shrug:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Tighclops posted:

Never tried it myself, but I'd assume the significantly higher wattage of the incandescent bulb in your ornament would cause a higher than expected voltage drop and the rest of the line would be really dim. Should be relatively safe to try though. At worst it would probably either burn out faster, cause the rest of the string to burn out faster, or blow one of the fuses in the plug.

You can try to cram* an led bulb into the ornament though :science:

*by "cram" I mean "unbend the pins so you can pull the bulb itself out of the bulb holder (so it looks like the picture below) and then use the same technique to transplant one of the spare leds that came with your lights into the holder so it plugs in correctly"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zurui posted:

If Star Trek were to imitate FX I'd want "It's Always Sunny in Deep Space."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yylr7fFt4VA

Never not post this video

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Tighclops posted:

I have the Klingom BoP and the Shuttlecraft Galileo and I immediately threw caution to the wind and plugged them in anyway. They simply refused to light up. I think this is because the voltage draw for the LED strand is already so weak, there just isn't enough power for all the lights/doodads on the ornaments. I'd recommend mixing in 1 string of incandescents, or hanging the incandescents on their own somewhere with the ornaments.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tighclops posted:

I did a test: it I have footage here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M7mM_iHd9I&t=48s

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This is great.

I want to see glam metal universe now where TNG is exactly the same, except the whole cast is wearing long wigs.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I need more of these.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

edit: double post

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I have the Klingom BoP and the Shuttlecraft Galileo and I immediately threw caution to the wind and plugged them in anyway. They simply refused to light up. I think this is because the voltage draw for the LED strand is already so weak, there just isn't enough power for all the lights/doodads on the ornaments. I'd recommend mixing in 1 string of incandescents, or hanging the incandescents on their own somewhere with the ornaments.

Yeah, LEDs use very little power compared to incandescents, so there's no danger of overloading the strand. The ornaments won't get enough to work is all. The LEDs further down that strand are probably a little dimmer, though, since the ornaments will eat some of the power.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bit of a crosspost from a Trek-related derail in a thread in PYF:

Jedit posted:

There's a long standing rumour/myth that Gates McFadden and Marina Sirtis made a bet on who could get Wil Wheaton's virginity. And McFadden won. :barf:

No idea if it's true or not, but it reminds me about how Florence Henderson went on a date with one of her Brady Bunch sons at some point, and one of the other sons dated one of the daughters on the show, because "We play brother and sister on TV' wasn't enough to kill attraction between coworkers.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 28, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Bit of a crosspost from a Trek-related derail in a thread in PYF:

No idea if it's true or not, but it reminds me about how Florence Henderson went on a date with one of her Brady Bunch sons at some point, and one of the other sons dated one of the daughters on the show, because "We play brother and sister on TV' wasn't enough to kill attraction between coworkers.

It didn't stop Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter from dating and being married for 3 years (they were siblings on Dexter).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arglebargle III posted:

As a kid it took me forever to realize that people didn't think Bashir was white.

It took his parents showing up for me to figure that out. He was just super english and that was that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The_Doctor posted:

It didn't stop Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter from dating and being married for 3 years (they were siblings on Dexter).

The hosed up part is that after they got divorced in real life, they started boning on screen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

The hosed up part is that after they got divorced in real life, they started boning on screen.

I'm so glad I quit watching Dexter.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
There was a distinct lack of DS9 in that heavy metal adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LRouOzliXY

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, LEDs use very little power compared to incandescents, so there's no danger of overloading the strand. The ornaments won't get enough to work is all. The LEDs further down that strand are probably a little dimmer, though, since the ornaments will eat some of the power.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I've still got a line of incandescents I can plug these fuckers into so everything worked out in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Dark One posted:

There was a distinct lack of DS9 in that heavy metal adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LRouOzliXY

This is godawful. Sounds like the Baywatch Nights or Melrose Place theme. That backing track is just poo