Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Chelb posted:

oh my god this curry is sooo good

I feel like a food wizard
what sort of curry is it?

i used to waste hours trying to replicate indian curries but then i found out the spice mixes from indian grocery stores taste just as good as the stuff you get from takeaway buffets which was my only frame of reference anyway so i was happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Making your own spice mix grants a fun sense of accomplishment

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am incapable of feeling accomplishment

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

being sick sucks most since your food tastes bleh

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Avshalom posted:

i cannot believe i am being paid $28 an hour to file paperwork in date order and put it in a box. the mining industry is completely ridiculous and even though i'm the one benefiting from this arrangement it still makes me furious and i can't wait to quit. especially as while i was researching potential careers i found out that a vet nurse salary starts at about 17/hour and maxes out at like 25 (remember this is australia so 25/hour is what you get casually bagging groceries) and vet nurses have on several occasions saved vanya, a resource far more precious than stupid poison world-destroying coal. my life is wasted and i am nothing but a wretch

uh, even converted into usd that seems like a poo poo load of money for clerical work

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

is trevor siemian an armenian

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Chelb posted:

oh my god this curry is sooo good

I feel like a food wizard

https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/803025323352690688

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Avshalom posted:

what sort of curry is it?

i used to waste hours trying to replicate indian curries but then i found out the spice mixes from indian grocery stores taste just as good as the stuff you get from takeaway buffets which was my only frame of reference anyway so i was happy

madhur jaffrey posted:

Goan-Style Chicken Moelho

There is a whole family of Goan meat and chicken dishes that have in common the use of garlic, vinegar, and hot chilies—all of which help preserve the food and give it a slightly “pickled” feel.

The chilies used in Goa are often of the Kashmiri variety, which give off a very red color but are of medium heat. Each dish requires rather a lot of them and ends up being very hot and very red. I have used a mixture of cayenne and paprika. You can add more cayenne if you like.

In Goa this is eaten with partially milled red-hulled rice. You could serve it with Plain Brown Rice, Plain Jasmine Rice, or Coconut Rice. Add vegetables and salads.

serves 3–4

1½ teaspoons whole cumin seeds
1 teaspoon whole brown mustard seeds
1¼ pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, extra fat removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
¾–1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons nice red paprika
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1¼ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, plus a little more, as needed
4 cloves garlic, crushed to a pulp with a garlic press
3 tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 medium onion (about 5 ounces) cut into fine half rings

Put the cumin seeds and mustard seeds into the container of a clean coffee grinder and grind finely.

Put the chicken in a nonreactive bowl along with the cumin-mustard mixture, cayenne, paprika, turmeric, salt, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and the garlic. Mix well with your hands, cover, and set aside for 1–2 hours, refrigerating if needed.

Pour the oil into a large, preferably nonstick frying pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot, put in the onions. Stir and fry until the onions turn translucent, about 4–5 minutes. Keep stirring and frying another 2 minutes or until the onions brown a bit. Now add all the marinated chicken. Stir and fry another 7–8 minutes or until the chicken turns opaque and browns a bit. Add ½ cup water and another 2 teaspoons vinegar. Bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low, and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Check the salt, adding more if needed.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

uh, even converted into usd that seems like a poo poo load of money for clerical work
it is, and yet i am still not satisfied with my life

i think I'll join a cult

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

using chicken thighs eh..... the best part of a chicken to me

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

not super involved but loving delicious

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
that recipe is kosher, i will make it

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
vanya will help, he's very helpful when someone is cooking

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Avshalom posted:

that recipe is kosher, i will make it

Avshalom posted:

vanya will help, he's very helpful when someone is cooking

:yeah:

madhur jaffrey's recipes haven't let me down yet. she also has a whole book devoted to vegetarian stuff, which I will try out this week (or next weekend idk) with an eggplant curry

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hey matoi let's start a cult

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
EGGPLANT IS THE KING OF FRUITS

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

does chook rhyme with luke or book?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Avshalom posted:

👑
🍆

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Swan Oat posted:

does chook rhyme with luke or book?
book, in fact when they're cross they say "cookbook cookbook" in their strange bird voices

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

is there a phone call I can make

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

hey matoi let's start a cult

The first thing is to decide what color robes to wear

Avshalom posted:

I like purple, purple sounds good. Also we could wear green knit hats.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Avshalom posted:

i am incapable of feeling accomplishment

Same, have you considered getting a challenger?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Chelb posted:

is there a phone call I can make

Is that how you were born

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Is that how you were born

a stray sesame seed fell from a piece of challah and landed on the ground. I then germinated following a healthy rain and being passed through a crow's digestive system

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Chelb posted:

a stray sesame seed fell from a piece of challah and landed on the ground. I then germinated following a healthy rain and being passed through a crow's digestive system

actually it was a big mac

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i came from a bean that was eaten by a civet cat

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Avshalom posted:

i am also a professional rhymer and rhythmer

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that should be a gang tag

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Matoi when is trigger going to make something else that's good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RuanGacho posted:

Matoi when is trigger going to make something else that's good

Space Patrol Luluco came out this year, don't rush

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
so chat thread, i need some real talk advice. it's become obvious one of the woman on the cleaning staff is the victim of serious domestic abuse. today was the second time i've noticed her sporting a black eye, this second one also accompanied by a beating that made the left half of her face swell up

i know from previous interactions that she has no english, i have almost no spanish. she's from a company we contract out to, so i can't report it to my hr department, i don't even know her residency status. what can i do to help this woman out while making sure i don't accidently cause more trouble for her. this is the first time i've seen someone that hosed up outside of a highspeed auto accident

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Get in touch with a local domestic violence shelter. They'll have advice and be able to help her.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

so chat thread, i need some real talk advice. it's become obvious one of the woman on the cleaning staff is the victim of serious domestic abuse. today was the second time i've noticed her sporting a black eye, this second one also accompanied by a beating that made the left half of her face swell up

i know from previous interactions that she has no english, i have almost no spanish. she's from a company we contract out to, so i can't report it to my hr department, i don't even know her residency status. what can i do to help this woman out while making sure i don't accidently cause more trouble for her. this is the first time i've seen someone that hosed up outside of a highspeed auto accident

Where are you located? Given your mention of language, residency, and the third party contract company could it be a forced labor deal?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Gin and Juche posted:

Where are you located? Given your mention of language, residency, and the third party contract company could it be a forced labor deal?

i mean, i sure hope we aren't contracting out slave labor

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Get in touch with a local domestic violence shelter. They'll have advice and be able to help her.

i suppose it wouldn't hurt to reach out to them for advice, it's just that i barely even know this woman professionally so it feels weirdly presumptive to start taking measures on her behalf

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
don't feel weird about it

at all

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i suppose it wouldn't hurt to reach out to them for advice, it's just that i barely even know this woman professionally so it feels weirdly presumptive to start taking measures on her behalf

you wouldn't be the first person to come with them with that kind of situation

don't expect too much though because it's nearly impossible to get undocumented and recent immigrants and people on visas to press dv charges

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 28, 2016

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i mean, i sure hope we aren't contracting out slave labor

My best guess is if you can get anyone she might trust, or just anyone you can get one on one with her could be better than bringing it to any company organ HR or otherwise outright. To that end Gorp's idea might have some avenues for you.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Domestic violence is loving awful and complacency is all too real.

If you saw someone bleeding on the side of the road, you wouldn't continue on because it's "presumptive" to stop and help them, you're doing the right thing here fellow ghostposter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

• Locked thread