Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Maybe I'll have to look at Verizon when I get my next phone, but their deals have been laughable compared to Best Buy on my past two phones.

I just traded in my pos LG G4 last Saturday for an S7 Edge and got $450 in gift cards and my bill dropped $16/mo. I've never been so ready to ditch a phone after that thing spent nearly a month in Texas for warranty repairs (1 bootloop and ear speaker twice). I just wish I knew they were going to bump the deal up because my wife traded an HTC Incredible in that had been our backup phone 4 days earlier and only got $200 in gift cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Do you think customer support would wave the 2x$20 activation fees if I've been with them since 2008 and haven't signed a contract/bought a phone off them since 2008? I would really like to save $40 if possible.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hey, Duckman - take your time in replying to this, seeing as I'm sure today's gonna suck for you, but how could I go about getting a "Long Time Customer"/"Loyalty" discount on my plan, and can/does that stack with a preexisting 15% Employee/Federal Gov't discount? I'm just looking for ways to slightly mitigate the fact that I can't really take advantage of the BF promo on my pending PXL 128GB order.

Don't have much for you, discounts won't ever stack per day on employee discounts, and I don't know if any current offers to discount plans for long term customers. Sorry man.

Chu020 posted:

Do the deals only work in store? I tried looking online, and when I got to trade-in/upgrade my wife's 5s to the 7, it quotes me $65 for the trade in and full price for the phone otherwise. Also, when I look at the Pixel, before logging in it says $10/mp, but if I log in, it goes up to $27/mo. Also, are the deals good all weekend, or just today?

I'm pretty sure the discount ($17 off monthly, which makes it $10), magically shows up in 2-3 months. That's what I assume, because the sales system didn't show anything on the receipts I sold today. Wasn't a fan of how Verizon handled that myself.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Thanks for being wrong + an rear end in a top hat so I went to the Verizon store, waited in line and got nothing today A++++ advice Duckman

Honestly glad I wasted your time.

Chu020 posted:

Ugh, just looked again and under the quote it says 'employee price.' Does that mean that since I'm getting a corporate discount on the plan that I'm not eligible for any of the promos? Ugh.

No, when you have a corporate discount it will have "customer pricing" and "employer pricing." I think because employee discount will discount certain purchase (specifically accessories) so everything is "employee pricing" even if it's the same.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wickerman posted:

Do you think customer support would wave the 2x$20 activation fees if I've been with them since 2008 and haven't signed a contract/bought a phone off them since 2008? I would really like to save $40 if possible.

No idea. I guess if you're really nice and really push. But on the flip side, they're less likely if you are getting the promos from Black Friday, which are pretty decent, so the argument is "hey you already got a good promo." But end of the day, lord knows, mileage will vary.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I walked into a Verizon corporate store today to do an assumption of liability on my line off my family share. I hate stuff like this because you usually get some idiot. I was hopeful going in and when I got there the three guys helping customers all seemed so normal I thought wow this is going to be great no need to worry. So I'm standing there and a guy who was on the phone I'm waiting on to help me goes into the back. Sad. I'm still hopeful when a man emerges from the same door, "Can I help you?" gently caress me. This guy was literally Dracula. Nails all black and rotting, eyes sunk into his head, I couldn't believe it. I played along asking for the assumption of liability. He said I had to call a number. That was the extent of the help but I was just glad he wasn't drinking my blood.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Just left a corporate verizon store and I was told the "free phone" black friday promo was extended to tomorrow(Nov. 28th). I cant find any online confirmation is this true? If not I will probably go back later today. Trying to decide if I want to ditch the iphone for Pixel, either way it seems like a great deal.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Standard Pixel came today. Narrower than expected but I like it!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

texaholic posted:

Just left a corporate verizon store and I was told the "free phone" black friday promo was extended to tomorrow(Nov. 28th). I cant find any online confirmation is this true? If not I will probably go back later today. Trying to decide if I want to ditch the iphone for Pixel, either way it seems like a great deal.

It's extended just keep in mind the current promo is with phone trade in. So the rate you get depends on what phone you trade in. It isn't the Black Friday $10 a month Pixel promo.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

Duckman2008 posted:

It's extended just keep in mind the current promo is with phone trade in. So the rate you get depends on what phone you trade in. It isn't the Black Friday $10 a month Pixel promo.

Went back and picked up a pixel with my iPhone6 trade in. Raises my bill by about 5 bucks a month. Really like being back on Android so far.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm a little miffed that I've been waiting three weeks (since the 5th) for my PXL 128GB (and technically have another three weeks or more to wait since 12/16 isn't set in stone) and it seems the whole reason for that is so Verizon could sit on a massive supply to have ready for this weekend.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm a little miffed that I've been waiting three weeks (since the 5th) for my PXL 128GB (and technically have another three weeks or more to wait since 12/16 isn't set in stone) and it seems the whole reason for that is so Verizon could sit on a massive supply to have ready for this weekend.

Pixel or Pixel XL? If it's the Pixel XL, no stores have them and they won't even give a shipping date on orders. Which is crazy. So if it's the Pixel I guess be upset, if it's the XL you're in the same boat as everyone else. I doubt there's some massive supply either way, my store got minimal 128GB Pixels and as mentioned no one has Pixel XLs.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I was lead to believe that I could walk out of the store with an XL on Friday. The only reason I didn't was because they said I'd have to trade in my 6P in order to get the promo price.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

XIII posted:

I was lead to believe that I could walk out of the store with an XL on Friday. The only reason I didn't was because they said I'd have to trade in my 6P in order to get the promo price.

Yeah, that was the impression I got as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

Ah. Well, I can't speak for Nation wide, but given warehouse lack of inventory it's unlikely it was in stock anywhere.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I am a bit upset I missed that Pixel for $240 deal. It would have been a great upgrade from my Droid Turbo and sadly Best Buy have none in stock within the 250 miles of where I am at in GA or where my parents live in CA and will not do shipping for the regular Pixel.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
You could have ordered online from Verizon...?

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

Wickerman posted:

You could have ordered online from Verizon...?

Sadly I was traveling all week/weekend and missed the sale completely

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No issues with getting a phone on device payment plan through Best Buy and then essentially not using it on anything other than wifi, correct?

That $4.99 /month for the Moto Z at best buy is mighty tempting for a dedicated daydream phone and the cost will easily be absorbed in my company's stipend.

But I plan on using my pixel as my real phone.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Got my regular Pixel, and it is a good phone. Size is good, though XL isn't that much bigger so I dunno, probably worth it for most.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The screen size is only 0.5 inches bigger, but the phone is quite a bit larger.

I don't have the XL to compare directly, but the XL is basically the same size as my MXP and there's a world of difference in hand and with pocketability.

The extra .5 inches and the QHD display is good for daydream though.

Battery life for standby should be quite a bit more since it is larger, but battery life while in use is closer to a wash due to the larger and higher resolution screen. It's still a little bit more than the normal Pixel though.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I don't have the XL to compare directly, but the XL is basically the same size as my MXP

I went into a Verizon store last weekend and the front bezel dimensions for the XL was the same as my Moto X play. The thickness is obviously a little less.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Finally got my Pixel activated. Both my father and I love it. I love the fingerprint scanner (surprisingly) and it doesn't make me miss Moto Active Notifications either.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Once you have a fingerprint scanner you'll never go back. I especially like the ones on the back of the phone.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Wickerman posted:

Finally got my Pixel activated. Both my father and I love it. I love the fingerprint scanner (surprisingly) and it doesn't make me miss Moto Active Notifications either.

Ambi-tuner on the Play store can emulate some of Motorola's Active Display stuff. It's not perfect but it's helped ween me off my old Turbo.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Goober Peas posted:

Once you have a fingerprint scanner you'll never go back. I especially like the ones on the back of the phone.

The scanner on the Pixel is so smooth, I was at a Vendor event the other night and a security guy from another company was giving me crap about not having a lock on my phone. I had to show him twice how natural it was to take it out of my pocket while touching my finger to the scanner on the back before he believed me that I did have a lock on it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Goober Peas posted:

The one on the pixel is working a lot better than the one on the note 7. The note didn't recognize my thumb that often.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Should I unlock the bootloader on this? I'm used to the flexibility of TWRP and TitaniumBackup.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've been impressed with how much more responsive the fingerprint scanner on my Pixel is than on my old 6P. Oddly, I want to say they're the same scanner, so maybe my 6P's was just weird.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

XIII posted:

I've been impressed with how much more responsive the fingerprint scanner on my Pixel is than on my old 6P. Oddly, I want to say they're the same scanner, so maybe my 6P's was just weird.

Anecdotally, the 6P scanner seems way snappier since I put 7.1.1 on.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ordered my 128GB XL. Hoping it ships before the quoted 1/13/17.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My two lines (through my wife's work) got set up on the new plans with 12 GB of data. Set it up earlier this month and scheduled it to start today on our new cycle. When I called in and talked with CSR, they told me that we should get an extra 2GB per line so we should be at 16 GB total. He did say that some accounts did not have the extra data appear so we would just have to call in and they could set it up.

Today, we check and it is 12. I call in and they tell me that they have to have the main account holder (my wife) call in and they do not even show my number connected with hers even though we have been paired for 10 years now. My wife calls in and they tell her that my number is eligible for the 2 GB of data but her line is not. When my wife asks why, they tell her that they do not know. We are waiting for a supervisor to call back and hopefully get this cleared up but does anyone here have an idea of what could be going on.

Also, I can no longer sign into the IOS app. It tells me that I need to log in from my own device or online. CSR told me wife that we needed to log in online in order to register the device with the account (not a new device. Same one for the past 2 years) but even then it does not recognize my device.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My two lines (through my wife's work) got set up on the new plans with 12 GB of data. Set it up earlier this month and scheduled it to start today on our new cycle. When I called in and talked with CSR, they told me that we should get an extra 2GB per line so we should be at 16 GB total. He did say that some accounts did not have the extra data appear so we would just have to call in and they could set it up.

Today, we check and it is 12. I call in and they tell me that they have to have the main account holder (my wife) call in and they do not even show my number connected with hers even though we have been paired for 10 years now. My wife calls in and they tell her that my number is eligible for the 2 GB of data but her line is not. When my wife asks why, they tell her that they do not know. We are waiting for a supervisor to call back and hopefully get this cleared up but does anyone here have an idea of what could be going on.

Also, I can no longer sign into the IOS app. It tells me that I need to log in from my own device or online. CSR told me wife that we needed to log in online in order to register the device with the account (not a new device. Same one for the past 2 years) but even then it does not recognize my device.

I assume this an account under your wife's name with her company discount, correct? Honestly not sure, if you keep have issues you might want to stop by a store for someone to look at it.

Any accounts that qualify for bonus data can vary on how much. Sometimes it's 2GB per line, sometimes not. Depends on when each line last signed a contract or got a phone payment. The data will clearly show if you get it though, it'll show as bonus data on the app.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
It looks like Verizon is offering the S7 Edge for about 50% off right now, i.e. $15 bucks for 24 months. I'm eligible for an upgrade and my old phone (Droid Turbo) is paid off.

1. How long do you think offer is going to last?
2. Is this probably the best special offer for the next couple of months?
3. What's everyone's opinions on the S7 Edge?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Droid Turbo Marshmallow update is being rolled out right now, fwiw. It comes with WIFI calling. If you want to early adopt, you can visit XDA and sideload the update.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Wickerman posted:

Droid Turbo Marshmallow update is being rolled out right now, fwiw. It comes with WIFI calling. If you want to early adopt, you can visit XDA and sideload the update.

Oh drat, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting this! Can you provide me a link?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Dahbadu posted:

Oh drat, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting this! Can you provide me a link?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-turbo/development/ota-official-marshmallow-build-mcg24-t3512813

I would highly recommend that you unlock the bootloader using Sunshine exploit ($25), flash custom recovery (TWRP) and then upgrade the device using TWRP flashable MM. I can give you very detailed instructions if you would like.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Wickerman posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-turbo/development/ota-official-marshmallow-build-mcg24-t3512813

I would highly recommend that you unlock the bootloader using Sunshine exploit ($25), flash custom recovery (TWRP) and then upgrade the device using TWRP flashable MM. I can give you very detailed instructions if you would like.

Thanks for this. I really appreciate it.

How long do you suspect it will take Motorola/Verizon to roll out the update normally? I'm located about 50 miles north of San Fran, if that makes any difference.

If you think it'll be longer than a month, then I'm definitely interested in sideloading it. Will I have to root my phone before using Sunshine? I really want to avoid rooting my phone, if possible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know even with Google it's been 3 weeks before an update has made it to my phone. A month is possible. It's hard to say.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Just got my Pixel, coming from a G3. This is a sweet phone.

A trick for grandfathered unlimited folks like me to tether without rooting or anything: download the 'network signal refresher' app, and right after you trigger a refresh turn on the hotspot. It will bypass the carrier hotspot check and enable the hotspot, and when the refresh is done, boom tether away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Dahbadu posted:

Thanks for this. I really appreciate it.

How long do you suspect it will take Motorola/Verizon to roll out the update normally? I'm located about 50 miles north of San Fran, if that makes any difference.

If you think it'll be longer than a month, then I'm definitely interested in sideloading it. Will I have to root my phone before using Sunshine? I really want to avoid rooting my phone, if possible.

It could be months, really. Everyone is certain that this is the complete/official OTA, but no one is 100% certain that this isn't a leak from someone getting a soak test, or if they're really rolling it out.

You can install this update without unlocking the bootloader if you want. If you do the following with a locked bootloader, you will probably never be able to unlock said bootloader. This means your Droid Turbo will never run Nougat, since VZW/Moto will not support further updates. Nougat can be had currently using custom ROMs, which seem to be working fairly well at the time of this writing. Proceeding with a locked bootloader also means that recovery from a future brick could be more difficult, as unlocked bootloaders allow complete read/write access to the kernel and partitions. If you still wish to proceed with a locked bootloader after reading the above, do the following:

Completely back up your contacts, pictures, music, and videos. You'll need to do a factory reset after the update. If you are utilizing device encryption, you MUST MUST MUST perform a factory reset before proceeding any further or you will potentially brick your device. This has to do with bootloader shenanigans that aren't really relevant to explain here. If you don't know for sure that your device isn't encrypted, perform a factory reset! I'm not responsible if you turn this sucker into a Note 7 so follow my directions so everything turns out as desired!

Make sure you are on SU4TL-49 by going to About Phone --> scroll down til you see it. If you are on 44, you need to take OTA updates until you are on 49.

Make sure your phone is charged up, or greater than 50% battery. In fact, you should probably factory reset before proceeding any further anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Download the update here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQJqGBWW9ViUWlrUU84UldxVWM

Download and install Minimal ADB/Fastboot here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=385035244224386526

Download and install Droid Turbo/Motorola device manager (which will provide device, adb, and fastboot drivers) here: http://www.motorola.com/getmdmwin

Activate Developer Options in your Droid Turbo (Go to About Phone --> tap on the build number until a pop-up tells you that you are now a developer)

Go into Developer Options in your DT and tick on USB Debugging.

Put the update zip file in C:\.

Your phone should still be booted up. Now you can plug it into your computer, if you didn't already do that. If you did, you should unplug it and plug it in again just to make sure the drivers you installed load successfully.

I hope you're using a Windows machine because I probably can't give you instructions from here on a Mac (without testing it on one.)

Start Menu --> In the search for box, type "cmd" and open the program that comes up.

Type "cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot\" without the quotation marks. Then type "adb devices" and tick the always trust box that pops up on your phone. Retype "adb devices" and it should give you a slightly different output (that says device instead of another word.)

Now, type "adb push C:\Blur_Version.23.21.49.quark_verizon.verizon.en.US.zip /sdcard/" and it should hang for a little while, then tell you xxxxkb to xxxxkb or something like that.

Then type "adb reboot recovery" and you will eventually get a little android guy that says no command. Then press and hold the vol up button and press and release the power button, then recovery menu should appear. If not, try holding the power button an extra second or two before releasing. Then, use the vol up/down keys to highlight 'update from zip' and the power button to select it, then select the Blur-etcetcetc.zip (scroll to the bottom). It should take a little while, then when it's done select factory reset from the recovery menu, then reboot. You'll boot into Marshmallow and now you can go about restoring your contacts, pictures, videos, and apps. Ta-da!

For completeness sake:
Soft-bricks can be fixed using a tool called RSD Lite, but if the battery is dead then you'll need to have a factory cable to restore it. The phone can't charge the battery if it can't boot (kind of funny to think about) but Moto devices will ignore the battery when power is supplied via USB pin 4 (what a factory cable does), which in a normal cable does not receive power. It can be bought off of eBay for cheap. Hard-bricks can usually be fixed but they can sometimes require disassembly, jtagging, or the use of more advanced tools. I can do or attempt to do this for you if you somehow manage to do this. Which, if you follow my instructions, will not happen to you. So no worries.

Sorry for the off-topic, kinda.

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 6, 2016

• Locked thread