Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
sounds like someone needs entry hazards or priority moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Countblanc posted:

sounds like someone needs entry hazards or priority moves

this is battle spot so entry hazards are a nothing but yeah I need some priority

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a list of Pokémon unobtainable in XYORAS? (e.g. transfer required)

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I don't know if someone made a list, but you can check yourself on serebii. Anything not in the aloha dex, or not obtainable from island scan (list in the daily events section) isn't available until pokebank transfers become possible.

edit: just realized i misread your question, oops.

Specto fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 28, 2016

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
So Pokemon Showdown lets you use a protean Greninja in Gen VII OU, which makes me think that it must be available in the game right now, but I can't find any confirmation. Is Showdown wrong, or is there somewhere a Froakie with that ability can be obtained? (Or like, any Froakie at all...?)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gnumonic posted:

So Pokemon Showdown lets you use a protean Greninja in Gen VII OU, which makes me think that it must be available in the game right now, but I can't find any confirmation. Is Showdown wrong, or is there somewhere a Froakie with that ability can be obtained? (Or like, any Froakie at all...?)

I believe showdown is doing the assumed metagame once pokeback opens

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gnumonic posted:

I think you can only use it in the Pokebank OU format, which is, well, for once Pokebank opens in January. If you want to play pre-Pokebank pick the [Gen 7 OU] format.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Your Computer posted:

Minus event Pokemon, you can obtain every single Pokemon, including Legendaries, using only Gen VI games, though the difficulty of doing so can vary, and there's still version exclusivity to consider.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Specto posted:

I don't know if someone made a list, but you can check yourself on serebii. Anything not in the aloha dex, or not obtainable from island scan (list in the daily events section) isn't available until pokebank transfers become possible.

I know, but I asked about X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire so that would be a pretty huge task :v:

EclecticTastes posted:

Minus event Pokemon, you can obtain every single Pokemon, including Legendaries, using only Gen VI games, though the difficulty of doing so can vary, and there's still version exclusivity to consider.

Thanks! That's really neat. I was considering doing another playthrough of X, and I never did any post-game stuff in Alpha Sapphire so maybe once I tire a bit of shiny-hunting in SuMo I'll do that. There are a lot of Pokémon I've never tried using and it would be cool to put together a sort of "dream team" without having to worry about linking and transferring stuff from older games.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What happens if you lose in this game? I just got into an encounter with a certain badass with 6 monsters, and I've got one of my dudes and 5 things I'm leveling to evolve for my pokedex.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

What happens if you lose in this game? I just got into an encounter with a certain badass with 6 monsters, and I've got one of my dudes and 5 things I'm leveling to evolve for my pokedex.

You lose a small amount of money and get sent back to the last pokemon center. There is no game over.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Khanstant posted:

you lose some money and go back to a pokemon center, no big, other than the shame of losing in game meant for 10year olds

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So let me make sure I have this right:
  • EVs effect how much a pokemon's stats increase when leveling, and have both a cap per-stat and a total cap so you need to pick which stats get the most gains. You gain them by training via Poke Pelago?
  • Pokerus doubles the rate of EV gain and isn't necessary, just convenient?
  • IVs effect stat totals by a small-ish amount, can't be trained and you get monsters with maxed IVs via 40+ SOS chains and then passing perfect IVs down to pokemon via breeding?
  • Natures improve one stat, lower another stat, can't be changed.
So in the end to make 'optimal' mons you need to know which stats are best for which monster, breed for perfect IVs of that stat and a nature that improves that stat (while lowering the stat that helps them least), then train EVs in Poke Pelago for the best stat distribution, then start leveling it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
jokes on the game, my 5 losers are burning through my max revives and thank moon for quick claw on Dhelmise right now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pierson posted:

So in the end to make 'optimal' mons you need to know which stats are best for which monster, breed for perfect IVs of that stat and a nature that improves that stat (while lowering the stat that helps them least), then train EVs in Poke Pelago for the best stat distribution, then start leveling it?

If you ever need to know what stats a pokemon needs, just google "(pokemon name) smogon" hth

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh hey, my in-game team doesn't have a Psychic resist, which is a problem, since Dexio's Mega Alakazam hits REALLY HARD

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Khanstant posted:

If you ever need to know what stats a pokemon needs, just google "(pokemon name) smogon" hth
Yeah I'm not even gonna pretend I won't rely on guides 100% for stuff like that. :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember hearing that you won't be able to transfer Pokémon from SuMo back to the previous games, is that correct? If so, how will that work with the Pokémon bank? For example, if I breed a Bulbasaur in SuMo and put it in the Pokébank then I won't be able to transfer it to XY/ORAS? Or only the new Pokémon/Alola forms (which would make sense)?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pierson posted:

So let me make sure I have this right:
  • EVs effect how much a pokemon's stats increase when leveling, and have both a cap per-stat and a total cap so you need to pick which stats get the most gains. You gain them by training via Poke Pelago?
  • Pokerus doubles the rate of EV gain and isn't necessary, just convenient?
  • IVs effect stat totals by a small-ish amount, can't be trained and you get monsters with maxed IVs via 40+ SOS chains and then passing perfect IVs down to pokemon via breeding?
  • Natures improve one stat, lower another stat, can't be changed.

You're like 80-90% right.

The stat formula doesn't care when you gain your EVs. You can gain them at level 1 or level 100 and it makes no difference on the final stats.
Poke Pelago is the easiest way to gain EVs before you have resources. It's pretty slow once you've bootstrapped your way into some BP though.
Pokerus doubles your EV gain. SOS pokemon give double EVs as well. "Power" items (such at the power anklet) give +8 to gains in a particular stat, before doubling. If you stack all three, you can max a stat in a chain of 7.
Each stat has a separate IV. 40-chain pokemon have 4 maxed IVs, out of 6. When breeding while one of the parents holds a destiny knot, 5 of the IVs are inherited (though each one picks a random parent to inherit from).
If a pokemon is level 100, you can exchange a bottle cap to increase one of its stats as though it had a maxed IV (this doesn't actually change the IV for the purposes of breeding).

The process of getting an ideal pokemon is something like:
-Catch the pokemon you want with the right ability (this can be annoying if you want a hidden ability). Mothers (or fathers if breeding with a ditto) will pass their ability down 60% (for HAs) or 80% (for non-HAs) of the time
-Do some breeding to get the right nature onto your pokemon. Parents holding an everstone pass down their nature 100% of the time
-Do some breeding to pass down any egg moves you care about
-Catch some 4 IV dittos, making sure to represent all 6 stats between them
-Perform incestuous eugenics with your dittos to get a 5-IV pokemon (i.e. one with maxed IVs in 5 of the 6 stats. Going any further than this is prohibitively unlikely, because the destiny knot only passes down 5 stats). Make sure it has the right ability, nature, and egg moves
(If you don't have BP yet, ignore IVs for now--an imperfect IV pokemon can do the battle tree just fine and you can bootstrap yourself like that)
-If you don't have BP yet, EV train your pokemon with chaining+pokerus, or poke pelago
-If you do have BP, EV train them with chaining+pokerus+power items
-Level the pokemon up to level 50 (or to its final evolution if higher)
-Use TMs, hearts scales, and move tutors to get the rest of the moves right
-If you have BP, give it a cool held item. If you don't, give it a Z crystal or something because that's all you have

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

I remember hearing that you won't be able to transfer Pokémon from SuMo back to the previous games, is that correct? If so, how will that work with the Pokémon bank? For example, if I breed a Bulbasaur in SuMo and put it in the Pokébank then I won't be able to transfer it to XY/ORAS? Or only the new Pokémon/Alola forms (which would make sense)?

Once a pokemon touches gen 7 it can't even go back to gen 6. It's just a flag on the individual

The update isn't out yet so this isn't for sure but I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to use the bank to transfer between gen 6 games as long as the pokemon never touch gen 7.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Once a pokemon touches gen 7 it can't even go back to gen 6. It's just a flag on the individual

The update isn't out yet so this isn't for sure but I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to use the bank to transfer between gen 6 games as long as the pokemon never touch gen 7.

Darn. My grand plan was using SuMo to breed Pokémon since it's 1000x easier and faster than the previous games, and then use those to start new playthroughs in XY/ORAS. Oh well. :sigh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

Darn. My grand plan was using SuMo to breed Pokémon since it's 1000x easier and faster than the previous games, and then use those to start new playthroughs in XY/ORAS. Oh well. :sigh:

tbh once the bank opens up, just breed a 3-4 IV pokemon in gen 6 (super easy, even faster than 5 IV in gen 7), get to 100 off of blissey bases, then hyper train the leftover stats

e: I sure didn't actually read your post

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 28, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Toxapex was my big trooper and managed to turn every hairy fight into a victory by just toxistalling whatever rear end in a top hat killed my other dudes.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the champion title defense match. On the one hand, I'd been wondering where that other starter was the entire game, and it was nice to finally see it, but on the other hand, anyone who opens up with Stealth Rock and has a whirlwind combo is not my friend. :mad:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm trying to figure out how to fix my team and what the gently caress even counters Tapu Koko in the Alola pokedex

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/GumzaDancingTo/status/803087785536192512

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008

Your Computer posted:

It is.

You can only get it if you're playing on a Japanese 3ds.

re:magearna

I'm playing on a Japanese 3DS, is there any way I can get Magearna without seeing the film or whatever? I don't live in Japan any more.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maxy Boy posted:

re:magearna

I'm playing on a Japanese 3DS, is there any way I can get Magearna without seeing the film or whatever? I don't live in Japan any more.

Try scanning this ingame (only works after you've beaten the Elite Four):

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Your Computer posted:

Right, sorry.

(I simply just searched for "Magearna QR code" though)

e: Unrelated, but I really like a couple of the UBs. Nihilego is a cutie, Pheromosa is kinda cool in a freaky way (I'm not a fan of bugs) and Celesteela is.. something. The cable spaghetti jazz hands is also pretty neat, although I don't like the trash compactor mon.

Anyone got any good nickname ideas for Nihilego and Pheromosa?

e: wow go to sleep you nerd

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so I remember seeing people talk about a post game store with new stuff to buy/new haircuts. where is that?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Liking the game so far, absolutely hating half most of the design choices and wishing I'd rolled a male character...

Can I change my riding outfit at some point or am I forced into skin tight bright pink spandex for the rest of the game?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

so I remember seeing people talk about a post game store with new stuff to buy/new haircuts. where is that?

The "postgame" store is in the Hau'oli Mall that people missed the first time around that opened after you beat Kahuna Hala. The stuff is pretty expensive. The postgame haircuts are available at any Salon.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Nettle Soup posted:

and wishing I'd rolled a male character...

This is easily the biggest mistake anybody can make with this game.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
If I want to chain 4 IV dittos what sort of Pokemon and skillsets do I need?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

The "postgame" store is in the Hau'oli Mall that people missed the first time around that opened after you beat Kahuna Hala. The stuff is pretty expensive. The postgame haircuts are available at any Salon.

ah, ok then yea I found that already. thanks

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

There are 128 catchable/breedable evolutionary lines in SuMo (i.e. not gifts/fossils/legendaries)

I have 22 of them in Beast Balls so far. :shepicide:

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

^ This guy is correct.
WHICH REALLY BUMMED ME OUT BECAUSE I WANTED PINK-STRIPED SOCKS, BUT NOOOOO.
Seriously, why weren't they a default choice, with each version given the 5 or so different color options. The only thing better than regular thigh high socks are thigh high socks with horizontal stripes

Oh snap, I popped on some striped socks the moment I saw them and now I feel like I dodged a bullet for deciding to grab Moon at the last moment.

(Black and white striped socks are pretty rad, not gonna lie.)

Also I'm still on the start of the second island because I can't get over how right they got Pokemon petting this release. At first I was doing it because I wasn't sure if that heart bar affected Pokemon who evolved through happiness (read: Snorlax), but now that I have Snorlax, I can't seem to stop. D:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

cheetah7071 posted:

Hyper training is some serious bullshit. Like, it would be annoyingly tedious if it only required the bottlecaps, and didn't need level 100. With the level requirement it's just stupid

Is there at least an easy method to farm blisseys or something while watching netflix

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright postgame, enough with the stupidly strong bosses, I have literally ran out of Revives. And soon, no money to buy more if this keeps up!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Crosspeice posted:

Alright postgame, enough with the stupidly strong bosses, I have literally ran out of Revives. And soon, no money to buy more if this keeps up!

Depending on what part of the postgame you're doing you'll get uh, enough, soon. Also there's negative shame in having the EXP Share on in post, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, I forgot about the fat stack of cash. Do the UB quest before the Battle Tree everyone!