Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Party Boat posted:

Ladykillers remake was p bad

A Serious Man is generally pretty underappreciated imo, it nails the bleak comedy thing perfectly

i liked ladykillers, though yeah not one of their best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Everyone's forgetting the Coen Bros greatest film of all.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

daivd lynch is loving awful and the icnematic equivalent of a really bad unwatchable movie

if you don't really watch movies much, why would anyone care what you think is bad or watchable?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

blamegame posted:

thats a really bad analogy

yeah, lynch generally has a lot going on in his films, they're not trying to be some minimalist statement (except maybe Rabbits)

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Epic High Five posted:

daivd lynch is loving awful and the icnematic equivalent of a really bad unwatchable movie

a previous talk about lynch was what i was referencing when i said you have broken my heart before, epic.

wes anderson is fine. i think he has a thing and does that thing very well but it's become the same thing. rushmore and royal tenenbaums are masterpieces. his other films are...fine.

one film nerd thing i appreciate about grand budapest hotel is that the aspect ratio changes in the different time periods to fit the conventional aspect ration of films in that time period. so, the more squarish frame is for the scenes taking place in the 30s/40s. that attention to detail is nice but he is a bit of a one-trick pony.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Everyone's forgetting the Coen Bros greatest film of all.

one of the best neo-noirs of all time! full circle!

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

lynch just loving rules. he can be ironic and pastiche while being dead loving serious in the same moment and it just works when he does it. thank jesus for having given us more twin peaks in exchange for this stupid awful year.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Jill Stein needs volunteers in Pennsyltucky for the recount

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fidel Castronaut posted:

a previous talk about lynch was what i was referencing when i said you have broken my heart before, epic.

wes anderson is fine. i think he has a thing and does that thing very well but it's become the same thing. rushmore and royal tenenbaums are masterpieces. his other films are...fine.

one film nerd thing i appreciate about grand budapest hotel is that the aspect ratio changes in the different time periods to fit the conventional aspect ration of films in that time period. so, the more squarish frame is for the scenes taking place in the 30s/40s. that attention to detail is nice but he is a bit of a one-trick pony.

I cannot take anyone seriously who liked Rushmore :barf:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

blamegame posted:

if you don't really watch movies much, why would anyone care what you think is bad or watchable?

I wouldn't be bothered if nobody cared, I'm not in the business of having movie opinions professionally and don't care at all what other people choose to waste their time viewing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

fabv movie is mulholland drive? death awaits

fav movie is The Expendables? death awaits

we are all kin to the grave and with it we share the same fundamental commonalities

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

dunno if it's their best but it's definitely their most under-rated

The Wacky Circumference!

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

I wouldn't be bothered if nobody cared, I'm not in the business of having movie opinions professionally and don't care at all what other people choose to waste their time viewing

oh ok, i only bring it up because you said you like to walk that opinion out with vigor or something which seems weird to me

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I cannot take anyone seriously who liked Rushmore :barf:

i was seventeen when it came out and was a total fuckup like max fischer and it resonated with me. plus Mark Devo Mothersbaugh did the score and it loving owns. it owns, man!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

blamegame posted:

oh ok, i only bring it up because you said you like to walk that opinion out with vigor or something which seems weird to me

Oh just vigor in the sense that I'm willing to defend my opinions on the subject. Im normally quite apathetic on the subject

The Ladykillers re-make was really bad tho. I actually walked out on that one but mostly because my girlfriend at the time chose then to have a fight

Not sure how to adjust the ranking because of thst

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

taking a look at mothersbaugh's wikipedia page and it seems that he worked with anderson up to steve zissou, which is the point where i stopped caring much about anderson. so maybe mothersbaugh was anderson's talisman. then again, mothersbaugh seems to be doing scores for anything he can get his hands on so maybe it's a good thing that anderson moved on from mothersbaugh.

he's doing the next thor movie. now i'm just imagining thor with the rugrats theme.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I wonder how many times like John eilliams made puns on stuff like "producing a score" when he was out bar crawling. I bet it was a lot

I know I'd be doing that like constantly

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fidel Castronaut posted:

taking a look at mothersbaugh's wikipedia page and it seems that he worked with anderson up to steve zissou, which is the point where i stopped caring much about anderson. so maybe mothersbaugh was anderson's talisman. then again, mothersbaugh seems to be doing scores for anything he can get his hands on so maybe it's a good thing that anderson moved on from mothersbaugh.

he's doing the next thor movie. now i'm just imagining thor with the rugrats theme.

Keep trying to convince yourself that you haven't made a lot of bad decisions in life, because Wes Anderson makes bad boring movies for people who want to feel like they're movie buffs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My brother is a legit movie buff and The Royal Tennenbaums is one of his fav movies

I dunno man, takes all kinds

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

tfw goons try to psychoanalyze people's motivation for liking things

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

he must be... FAKING IT

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The movie no one saw "The Man Who Wasn't There" sometimes titled "The Barber" is probably my favorite esoteric CoBros movie.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
o brohter is the best coen brothers film that i've seen

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

ScrubLeague posted:

The movie no one saw "The Man Who Wasn't There" sometimes titled "The Barber" is probably my favorite esoteric CoBros movie.

thats a good one

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also I watched Fantastic Mr. Fox the other day and I think that might have been the time Wes Anderson learned to make good movies? Because even though I love Rushmore a lot despite its astounding badness, everything he made since Fox has been real good.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

blamegame posted:

tfw goons try to psychoanalyze people's motivation for liking things

If ur still only in the realm of feels then u should maybe psychoanalyze.....urself

I think we can all agree that the original Total Recall was an amazing movie on all possible levels at least

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Keep trying to convince yourself that you haven't made a lot of bad decisions in life, because Wes Anderson makes bad boring movies for people who want to feel like they're movie buffs

I started my grad program in film and media studies (switched to another program but that's irrelevant) so i really don't need any one director to convince me that i'm a pretentious film nerd. it just sort of comes with the territory no matter who your faves are. I mean, I can namedrop Chantal Akerman if it makes you feel better.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

most of wes anderson's movies are good actually...

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

If ur still only in the realm of feels then u should maybe psychoanalyze.....urself

I think we can all agree that the original Total Recall was an amazing movie on all possible levels at least

feeling is good, i'm with kanye, we need to talk about our feelings more. and yes total recall owns

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Bottle Rocket and Rushmore and Royal Tens and Life Aquatic and Darjeeling are all kind of charming but also pretty bad in fundamental ways and I will knife fight you.

Fox and Moonrise and Grand Budapest are all very incredible

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I mean the movie title is even an anagram for A Rectal Toll

It's perfect on ALL levels. NOTHING else has both that and rubber Arnie head

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah but what if they made Total Recall with Colin Farrell and Jessica Biel instead and also made it A Serious Science Fiction Film

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

ScrubLeague posted:

Bottle Rocket and Rushmore and Royal Tens and Life Aquatic and Darjeeling are all kind of charming but also pretty bad in fundamental ways and I will knife fight you.

how is rushmore bad? rushmore's not bad.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ScrubLeague posted:

Yeah but what if they made Total Recall with Colin Farrell and Jessica Biel instead and also made it A Serious Science Fiction Film

Id probably pretend it never happened, like a theoretical hatchet job taken to another beloved movie of mine, The Manchurian Candidate

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ScrubLeague posted:

I tried to convince myself that Bottle Rocket was good once, it's not.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ScrubLeague posted:

But did Jessica Biel have 3 boobs?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

blamegame posted:

how is rushmore bad? rushmore's not bad.

It's all second act and no first or third????

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

What the gently caress is going on here

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Der Meister posted:

What the gently caress is going on here

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
To be clear I think Max Fischer is one of the better Anderson characters and there are really good scenes and the music in Rushmore is great but the movie is basically discarded scenes from a better one-act play.

• Locked thread