Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
i'm still very angry at former western conference foe the university of chicago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Listen, gently caress Sewanee :argh:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

DJExile posted:

I get this to a degree, but the SWC has been dead for literally 2 decades now.

It's the superior conference

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

i'm still very angry at former western conference foe the university of chicago

chicago's western conference team

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Disband the Big 12 and bring back the SWC and rename it the Texas Conference

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How high should the spending cap be?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Nebraska can still suck it and I'll probably still feel that way in 20 years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thoguh posted:

I think everyone feels this way

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Thank you for your support :)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly, I hate the Gators, but if FSU/UF stopped happening as the last game of the season every year, it might legit kill half or more of my interest in college football.

Please don't leave, bae. :smith:

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If you can get A&M and Arkansas on board, and include both Oklahoma schools, that might be the ideal conference.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Just saw Tom Herman's wife on the press conference stream.

:drat:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Bye Brewster

Eat poo poo, Herman

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

OSU Co-DC Fickell is being rumored for the FAU head coach job, there is a relationship with the AD there. If he goes and Schiano finds a HC job, could leave OSU looking for a DC and Urbz may call up his old friend Charlie Strong.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

buddhanc posted:

Just saw Tom Herman's wife on the press conference stream.

:drat:

edit:

quote:

all these soccer moms from Dublin, Ohio, don't want to keep score in kids' games. They were looking at me like I was jerk because I said that I taught my kid to keep score. Are you kidding me? I'm not the one who is messed up here. They're going to keep score in life. It's O.K. I've failed hundreds of thousands of times. I probably failed 100 times today. But winning is not supposed to matter to me? I don't know if I'll ever be able to grasp that. Forget the awards. You should want to be the best at whatever your chosen field is. I want my kids to win. Winners get the corner office, the big house, the hot wife, the whole nine. I said that at commencement. Then I said that the people who don't win, they get cubicles, the hoopty ride, the not-so-hot wife.

Ok so he's a total rear end in a top hat but at least he's an rear end in a top hat in an Alec Baldwin Glengarry Glen Ross kind of way?

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 28, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

OSU Co-DC Fickell is being rumored for the FAU head coach job, there is a relationship with the AD there. If he goes and Schiano finds a HC job, could leave OSU looking for a DC and Urbz may call up his old friend Charlie Strong.

Yeah that AD is Pat Chun, he was a long time associate AD at Ohio State. He's quietly done a really good job at FAU in the overall picture.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I wonder if anybody is gonna give Broderick Fobbs a look. He took over Grambling State after their DISASTER of a 1-10 2013 season (notable for Doug Williams being bought out of his head coaching contract two games into the season and the first interim coach being fired after going 0-5, in addition to the team refusing to play a game against Jackson State due to the state of the facilities and equipment) and immediately turned in a 7-5, 9-3 and now 10-1 seasons, with the Celebration Bowl still upcoming.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Thermos H Christ posted:

edit:

Ok so he's a total rear end in a top hat but at least he's an rear end in a top hat in an Alec Baldwin Glengarry Glen Ross kind of way?

Forget the awards, I want the awards.

Edit: Also what a moron for not finding the travel leagues that's where all the other rear end in a top hat parents send their kids. If your kids aren't old enough for travel leagues it's just beehive soccer anyways nobody is paying attention to what's going on.

tk fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 28, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Alaois posted:

I wonder if anybody is gonna give Broderick Fobbs a look. He took over Grambling State after their DISASTER of a 1-10 2013 season (notable for Doug Williams being bought out of his head coaching contract two games into the season and the first interim coach being fired after going 0-5, in addition to the team refusing to play a game against Jackson State due to the state of the facilities and equipment) and immediately turned in a 7-5, 9-3 and now 10-1 seasons, with the Celebration Bowl still upcoming.

0 name tool tho

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/BrianPolian/status/803123461010788353

I wonder who Nevada could hire that would be an upgrade for that program.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 28, 2016

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/BrianPolian/status/803123461010788353

I wonder who Nevada could hire that would be an upgrade for that program.

lol I saw that before the edit. They'll hire someone with ties to Chris Ault or someone he approves of.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I'm really curious what Oregon is going to do. They need to have fired Helfrich yesterday tbh, what is actually being accomplished by the delay is anyone's guess. Oregon recruits (insofar as we have any) are talking about decommitting and the attitude among boosters is toxic. Consensus is that Helfrich should go, though there are a lot of other people in the coaching staff who are perceived as subpar. AD Mullen is already in the hot seat for his inaction (which is apparently because he's been out of town for a BCS committee meeting, which is a personal responsibility, not part of his job as Oregon AD).

Basically there's going to be hell to pay if a decision RE Helfrich isn't announced in the next 24-48 hours. IMO they should have Kiffined him and Brady Hoke at Reser stadium in Corvallis.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile posted:

Yeah that AD is Pat Chun, he was a long time associate AD at Ohio State. He's quietly done a really good job at FAU in the overall picture.

He has.

The weird "small" (as far as football goes) schools in Florida can all get a little better, just by hitting on some of the three stars that might wanna stay in-state and play, maybe with the rare four everybody else missed on.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

From the "where are they now?" category:

FB Scoops posted:

Jim Tressel’s show cause penalty from the NCAA expires in December, but he tells the New York Times that “coaching is not is my future.” Tressel currently serves as the President at Youngstown State.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Unfortunately that won't stop idiots across the country from clamoring for him to save their program

(Please tell me this has happened at places beyond Nebraska in the past five years; I'm drawing a blank)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Unfortunately that won't stop idiots across the country from clamoring for him to save their program

(Please tell me this has happened at places beyond Nebraska in the past five years; I'm drawing a blank)

The noise around Tress has actually been pretty much non-existent. He took the show-cause in stride and seems to be pretty content as YSU's president. Obviously not a bad gig by any means but he's shown zero interest in doing anything outside of it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

I think is saw it from some Purdue people too but it's less widespread than I would have guessed. I think people assume that he's staying out of coaching

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Will Bill Taggart go anywhere? He seems to have made USF not suck and they're ranked for the first time in five years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

Do guys ever move up from HBCUs though?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
RE: Sweatervest

It's been a while...was it just the tattoo poo poo and covering it up? What a stupid hill to die on for him

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Time posted:

RE: Sweatervest

It's been a while...was it just the tattoo poo poo and covering it up? What a stupid hill to die on for him

It was one of those death by a thousand cuts things. They kept finding more and more poo poo as they dug into the program, and Gene Smith and then-president Gordon Gee handled it all in the most ham-handed way possible.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

It was one of those death by a thousand cuts things. They kept finding more and more poo poo as they dug into the program, and Gene Smith and then-president Gordon Gee handled it all in the most ham-handed way possible.

Was it known beforehand that he was dirty all the way back at Youngstown State or did that come out after the Ohio State stuff too?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The smoking gun for Tressel was him signing a form saying saying he didn't know of any violations and then evidence emerging that he clearly did. Its the NCAA equivalent of perjury or falsifying an affadavit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Was it known beforehand that he was dirty all the way back at Youngstown State or did that come out after the Ohio State stuff too?

If he was up to any shady poo poo at YSU I don't think anyone knew of it until all the Ohio State stuff blew up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's never what happened, it's the cover-up that gets you

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

MourningView posted:

I think is saw it from some Purdue people too but it's less widespread than I would have guessed. I think people assume that he's staying out of coaching

Morgan Burke had a hard-on for everything OSU for years, he used Tressel as a consultant when he fired Danny Hope and Hired Hazell. If Burke hadn't just retired I'm positive his name would be popping up.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Do we have any Youngstown State people in here? How is he doing as President?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

PostNouveau posted:

I guess I've never had a coach leave. What's the ideal way to do it that Herman didn't live up to? Who recently has left a school in a way that didn't piss off the school they left?

It strikes me as kind of like laying people off. Everyone always complains that it wasn't handled well, but there's no good way to do it.

ISU fans weren't really that mad when Gene Chizik left for Auburn.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah there's basically never an easy way for a head coach to leave if he's going somewhere bigger. The bigger school largely never gives a poo poo if the previous team is in a bowl game or conference championship or anything, they want the guy on campus getting to work ASAP. It blows that this always happens right at the end of what's typically a great season for the smaller team, but unfortunately that's just the way it is. Even if you enforced a sort of hiring freeze, people would know when a coach was moving on somewhere else after the year and then you're just going to get a lot of awkwardness at the bowl game when the coaches likely already have their mind on the next job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When's the last time a P5 school got its head coach hired away? Was it when Tuberville left Tech? There's always so much talk of "x" P5 coach being a candidate for a bigger P5 job, but it seems like in recent history it practically never happens. I guess Cincy was technically in a BCS conference when Brian Kelly left.

• Locked thread