Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm gazing wistfully at 40k stuff after three years away.

I feel a relapse coming on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SteelMentor posted:

Small, kinda vague preview of the Traitor Legion Supplement:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/28/the-eye-opens-and-the-legions-return/

tl;dr:
-Chapter Tactics-esque rules for each Legion.
-Relics and Wargear for each Legion
-Formations and Detachments for each Legion
-Bonuses for playing fluffy units.

No price yet, but it's near enough the same size as Angels of Death so expect around that.

owns

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm gazing wistfully at 40k stuff after three years away.

I feel a relapse coming on.

What are you looking at?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SRM posted:

What are you looking at?

Blood Angels because I hate myself and hate being happy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Blood Angels have some very pretty models nowadays.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I played an Ork speedfreak list into Eldar last night. Don't do it kids.

I know trukk boyz are terrible so basing a list around them was walking into a bad time with my eyes open. Sooo much strength 6 shooting with 2 wraithlords an Avatar and a squad of striking scorpions as a meatshield. I got tabled and managed to kill the striking scorpions, 2 jet bikes and Eldrad. The only reason I killed Eldrad was because he was ditched by a squad of cowardly warp spiders who left him in the open so they could run away.

How do you make Boyz useable? I took powerklaws and lost them each time to a challenge getting the nob killed before he could swing. Large blobs are unwieldy and slowed down by terrain.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Blood Angels have some very pretty models nowadays.

That's basically my reasoning. That and I like jump packs and chopping poo poo up.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Blood Angels are also pretty solid these days with the new Angel's Blade Supplement.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Don't feel bad, I switched from my plans of a Thousands Sons force (as they are going to be everywhere, new hotness and all that) and decided to go Imperial Fists, because...gently caress it, let's paint some yellow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Blood Angels because I hate myself and hate being happy.

Blood Angels were my OG army and they'll always have a special place in my heart as a result.

Plus death company are Tasmanian Devils.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

SteelMentor posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/28/the-eye-opens-and-the-legions-return/

tl;dr:

No price yet, but it's near enough the same size as Angels of Death so expect around that.

Its Soft cover, and $35

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Blood Angels were my OG army and they'll always have a special place in my heart as a result.

Plus death company are Tasmanian Devils.

Yeah, Death Company were the hotness when I quit in 5th.

Doing some research and I've found out my main gripe with 5th (Vehicles Are King gently caress Infantry Forever) has been cured, which rules.

Still gonna take a Librarian Dreadnought as my HQ though because it's a god-drat Librarian Dreadnought.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Doing some research and I've found out my main gripe with 5th (Vehicles Are King gently caress Infantry Forever) has been cured, which rules.

Still gonna take a Librarian Dreadnought as my HQ though because it's a god-drat Librarian Dreadnought.

Or take 30k out for a spin. Blood Angels rules are still threadbare at the moment, but their two Rites of War are "Go balls-out on a game plan you were probably going to do something similar to anyway" and "Go bugfuck nuts while leaving allies to hold the backfield."

They're also one of only two legions in 30k to have assault cannons.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Raphus C posted:

I know trukk boyz are terrible so basing a list around them was walking into a bad time with my eyes open. Sooo much strength 6 shooting with 2 wraithlords an Avatar and a squad of striking scorpions as a meatshield. I got tabled and managed to kill the striking scorpions, 2 jet bikes and Eldrad. The only reason I killed Eldrad was because he was ditched by a squad of cowardly warp spiders who left him in the open so they could run away.

How do you make Boyz useable? I took powerklaws and lost them each time to a challenge getting the nob killed before he could swing. Large blobs are unwieldy and slowed down by terrain.

By not using GW's awful codex :smugissar: Seriously that sucks and is entirely too familiar.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

SteelMentor posted:

tl;dr:

I want to wait for the Agents book but I also kind of want this for some ultra-fluffy nurgley funtimes oh god.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

tl;dr:

8 years too late to make me care

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

please post more about how little you care :)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

BULBASAUR posted:

Yes, I too look forward to the passive aggressive replies about how little you care about the hobby and this product line, please keep us all informed at every opportunity.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

JackMack posted:

Which is a nice segue into 6 days to Goonpocalypse III

The list of guys who were keen is somewhere in my post history, anyone else who want to come please feel that you can. Galaspar, you came a few years back to Goonpocalypse I and I see you on the painting threads a lot, so did your girlfriend who's username I have forgotten (I would recognise her SoH command squad if I saw it though).

Thanks for the thought, don't think we can make it though. Shame, because I've been getting into HoR kill team lately. The young lady was Namenlos btw, and although she neither posts nor plays 40k much these days, happy to say she is now my wife.

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 28, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

please post more about how little you care :)

LumberingTroll posted:

Yes, I too look forward to the passive aggressive replies about how little you care about the hobby and this product line, please keep us all informed at every opportunity.

Yeah that came off completely dickish. You're both right. I'll go poo poo up the death thread instead.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you don't even play iron warriors in 30k so idk why you have such a hateboner for chaos space marines

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Raphus C posted:

Playing against Eldar doesn't do you any favors either, unfortunately. I've found Ork boyz in trukks work when they're wearing 'eavy armor so they can at least survive the vehicle exploding (plus you don't have to paint as many Orks) and Ork bikes are actually a pretty good unit all around. The Ork fliers are some of the better units in the codex too, but they're also fragile. Nobs are in a rough spot because they're so slow to strike; I honestly think the best solution would be to keep them cheaper or stick a second character in there to either tank the hit or have the nob tank the hit for them. Orks have a lot of opportunity to add characters into units, but that gets expensive quick.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Blood Angels are cool and they have some great models out now. Playing them in 30k would be cool too but they don't really have much support there yet, and if you're just getting back into this you probably wouldn't want to go for the turboexpensive Forgeworld option. Pick up the Start Collecting box for Blood Angels and you'll be off to a good start.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah that came off completely dickish. You're both right. I'll go poo poo up the death thread instead.

Good luck. It hasn't been about GW for a while. Right now it just veered into DnD edition wars

I mean I get that it's been a long time--I've been frustrated too. But they can't go back in time and fix stuff, they can only make things better now. And the best part about this release is that it doesn't preclude the possibility of a new codex--it could just sit on top of a revised codex release next year that fixes more of the core issues.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Some guy on Reddit posted a big rear end spoiler for the Wrath of Magnus book - https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/5f0dwa/wrath_of_magnus_story_literall_all_the_spoilers/?sort=confidence&compact=true

If this is true then 40k is officially in full on End Times level bullshit storyline progression as two Chapters got hosed hard.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SRM posted:

Blood Angels are cool and they have some great models out now. Playing them in 30k would be cool too but they don't really have much support there yet, and if you're just getting back into this you probably wouldn't want to go for the turboexpensive Forgeworld option. Pick up the Start Collecting box for Blood Angels and you'll be off to a good start.

Yeah, I'll leave 30k for now. I'm not sure how many people locally even play it, but I know we've got a decent 40k scene.

Luckily, apparently kill team is popular, so that's my starting point to aim for right now.

(I'm still not 100% settled on Blood Angels anyway. It's between BAs, Grey Knights or combined Skitarii/Cult Mechanicus. I may have even said "holy poo poo" out loud when I realized AdMech are a playable army now.)

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 29, 2016

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Zark the Damned posted:

Some guy on Reddit posted a big rear end spoiler for the Wrath of Magnus book - https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/5f0dwa/wrath_of_magnus_story_literall_all_the_spoilers/?sort=confidence&compact=true

If this is true then 40k is officially in full on End Times level bullshit storyline progression as two Chapters got hosed hard.

Christ, could this insane bullshit please be leaked by someone who doesn't type like they're speaking in tongues?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for Night Lords to finally get rules again. Night Vision and Fear, come on! :black101:

:v:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, I'll leave 30k for now. I'm not sure how many people locally even play it, but I know we've got a decent 40k scene.

Luckily, apparently kill team is popular, so that's my starting point to aim for right now.

(I'm still not 100% settled on Blood Angels anyway. It's between BAs, Grey Knights or combined Skitarii/Cult Mechanicus. I may have even said "holy poo poo" out loud when I realized AdMech are a playable army now.)

Off topic, but was is occurring on your avatar?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Uroboros posted:

Jojos.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uroboros posted:

Gyro Zeppeli is rolling a steel ball across his fingers in the snow

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
They aren't technically done, like they don't get to go into the display case until I do the bases, but I finished the painting part of my assault mans:

Calth bodies and legs, bits ordered jump packs, DA accessory shoulder pads, and random-rear end arms/guns I could find almost enough of.

Took less than a week, which qualifies as hugely quick considering how slow I usually am. I still want to fill out the devastator squad with bolter joes and do a command squad, but this is at least a legal demi-company now. :toot: I'll get better pictures of these assholes later, but I'm insanely pumped about my progress the last few weeks, even if I did it just in time for the chapter to shoot it's own dick off courtesy of Tzeentch loving around with the Space Wolves.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Oh that's snow...got it.

If Fenris falls does it really matter? Chapters get wiped out all the time, about time those furries got taken down a notch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Raphus C posted:

Drown them in grots.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Uroboros posted:

Oh that's snow...got it.

If Fenris falls does it really matter? Chapters get wiped out all the time, about time those furries got taken down a notch.

Nah, and I hope it does fall :evilbuddy:

The wolves should get taken down a notch but they won't wipe them out, not with how many specific sculpts and rules the SWs have. But they should make them into a nomadic faction, there's others that get by that way anyhow.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Ultramarines and their successors basically do 2/3rds of the work in this galaxy, Space Wolves aren't doing much other than being Space Vikings.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

The wolves should get taken down a notch but they won't wipe them out, not with how many specific sculpts and rules the SWs have.

This is assuming they learnt anything from sacking WFB.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean the gw that sacked whfb is pretty much not the same company we have at all anymore

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
It's adorable that you think that.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't think gw is a 'good' company but it is almost objectively a much better company than it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ya don't move the plot forward and people complain, ya move the plot forward and people complain, waddayagonnado? :shrug:

I'm just hoping this is the new CEOs response to the plethora of wolf crap in the space wolf codex, what with wolfraiders on wolfback with their wolftalons and led by wolfmoon mcbeardwolf. Which would mean blood angels are next, except that there is just so much blood crap in the newer age of sigmar khorne army that it all seems unlikely.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 29, 2016

• Locked thread