Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

If only America would withdraw, then surely the Middle East will calmly resolve itself without any meddling outsider influences. :allears:
Considering the greatest cause of instability in the ME is Saudi Arabia, and our horribly complex, unethical, and sometimes downright evil relationship with them. Yep, might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Brainiac Five posted:

"Leftists" insisting the President should simultaneously rule dictatorially and that they oppose expansion of executive power ought to be a hell of a sight to see, but it's a sad part of the new normal.

The President can't rule dictatorially, he has a limited set of actions he can take, pardoning people is actually one that's been around for a long time and considering a President started Guantanamo I don't really see how that's expanding presedential powers to basically undo it.

But yes, he shouldn't have re-signed the patriot act or the AUMF in the first place and if he hadn't Guantanamo wouldn't be an issue in the first place.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mintskoal posted:

:psyduck:

No words. So they're really thinking of letting these guys go back to taking public money and saddling people with huge student loans for worthless degrees a thing eh? The sad part is that people will sign right back up and we'll be here again in 5 years having the same debate.

I only have a high school education and more is required to advance in today's job market. I don't have time to become a full-time student at a real university and I can't go to a community college because that's for dumb people. Why should the government decide which school I get to go to?

Regular colleges routinely charge people $100,000 or more for a degree. What's the difference between that and me paying $100,000 for my degree in Entrepreneurship that I can take online at my own schedule?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You can pre-emptively pardon people. Nixon was.

The only way Obama could close down Guantanamo unilaterally would be to have every prisoner's home country agree to take them back, agree to pay for all transportation costs, and for Obama to pre-emptively pardon everyone.

Considering that some of the people in Guantanamo are actually confirmed terrorists, but were unable to be tried because they were tortured and their testimony is inadmissible, it is pretty reasonable to assume that Obama was not going to pardon them and that their home countries would not allow them back, let alone pay for them to come back.

Even in Obama's unilateral closing scenario, he isn't actually closing it unilaterally, because he needs the other countries to agree to it.

Edit: The other crazy scenario where Obama could unilaterally close Gitmo would be to pardon all of the prisoners, get them all to agree to renounce their previous citizenships, and get Immigration and Customs Enforcement to grant them American Citizenship under the guise of them being stateless actors that require emergency citizenship. Then have them all privately fund their trips out of Cuba to mainland America.

You're right, the precedent is there. I never read the pardon until now. The rest of your post reaffirms my belief in the impracticality of the pardon.

Are there any other examples of full and unconditional pardons like Nixon's?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

But still, you're missing the big picture if you think Oil people are happy with Obama. They might not hate him as much as Coal people do, but the API et al did not get their way with the Obama administration. If they did, the green completions rule, the CPP and the renewables tax credits wouldn't exist. But keystone would.

So basically he's better than a Republican so we should all be happy? I'm glad that's the extent of your arguments thus far in this thread.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I only have a high school education and more is required to advance in today's job market. I don't have time to become a full-time student at a real university and I can't go to a community college because that's for dumb people. Why should the government decide which school I get to go to?

Regular colleges routinely charge people $100,000 or more for a degree. What's the difference between that and me paying $100,000 for my degree in Entrepreneurship that I can take online at my own schedule?

"Regular colleges"

It's just a banana, Michael. How much could it cost? Ten dollars?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mintskoal posted:

:psyduck:

No words. So they're really thinking of letting these guys go back to taking public money and saddling people with huge student loans for worthless degrees a thing eh? The sad part is that people will sign right back up and we'll be here again in 5 years having the same debate.

To the GOP governments only job is to make sure that as much public money as possibl is put into a few private pockets as possible until the system collapses.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Glazier posted:

To the GOP governments only job is to make sure that as much public money as possibl is put into a few private pockets as possible until the system collapses.

The democrats job is to do the same thing but placate the masses a bit so they don't revolt for the next round of doubling down

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm just pointing out that "o&g likes Obama" is a sheltered as gently caress and wrong opinion.

It's actually not but you can't comprehend a reality outside the bounds of the New York Times discourse

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

So basically he's better than a Republican so we should all be happy? I'm glad that's the extent of your arguments thus far in this thread.

I'm just pointing out that "o&g likes Obama" is a sheltered as gently caress and wrong opinion.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Trabisnikof posted:

If only America would withdraw, then surely the Middle East will calmly resolve itself without any meddling outsider influences. :allears:

No I'm more thinking we just get out of the way and let them sectarian violence themselves to death instead of presenting ourselves as an easy target.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Considering the greatest cause of instability in the ME is Saudi Arabia, and our horribly complex, unethical, and sometimes downright evil relationship with them. Yep, might help.

No, and it won't help Asia either.

But hey let's propose some more incredibly dumb ideas. Maybe if America left the moon alone it would really become cheese.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

kelvron posted:

You're right, the precedent is there. I never read the pardon until now. The rest of your post reaffirms my belief in the impracticality of the pardon.

Are there any other examples of full and unconditional pardons like Nixon's?

Jimmy Carter granted full and unconditional pardons for all Vietnam draft dodgers, including people who were not charged with dodging the draft because they committed fraud.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

You can pre-emptively pardon people. Nixon was.

The only way Obama could close down Guantanamo unilaterally would be to have every prisoner's home country agree to take them back, agree to pay for all transportation costs, and for Obama to pre-emptively pardon everyone.

Considering that some of the people in Guantanamo are actually confirmed terrorists, but were unable to be tried because they were tortured and their testimony is inadmissible, it is pretty reasonable to assume that Obama was not going to pardon them and that their home countries would not allow them back, let alone pay for them to come back.

Even in Obama's unilateral closing scenario, he isn't actually closing it unilaterally, because he needs the other countries to agree to it.

Edit: The other crazy scenario where Obama could unilaterally close Gitmo would be to pardon all of the prisoners, get them all to agree to renounce their previous citizenships, and get Immigration and Customs Enforcement to grant them American Citizenship under the guise of them being stateless actors that require emergency citizenship. Then have them all privately fund their trips out of Cuba to mainland America.

The Geneva convention allows the release of prisoners on parole without repatriation or adoption. Obama can, quite literally, kick them out the door as free people so long as the prisoners themselves agree to the conditions of release, which the US Government can just put no conditions at all on the parole. They'd need to be transported back to an area where they can, at least in theory, find means to support themselves but beyond that I'm not aware of any other law that would prevent freeing them that way.

Edit:
That is assuming that none of the prisoners are US Citizens, which would complicate things a bit.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

The President can't rule dictatorially, he has a limited set of actions he can take, pardoning people is actually one that's been around for a long time and considering a President started Guantanamo I don't really see how that's expanding presedential powers to basically undo it.

But yes, he shouldn't have re-signed the patriot act or the AUMF in the first place and if he hadn't Guantanamo wouldn't be an issue in the first place.

You don't seem to understand that closing Guantamano Bay via pardoning all the people held there had no base of political support in the legislature, a limited base of political support in the general public, and a substantial level of opposition would emerge if any moves were made toward it. Obama doing that would be the definition of an imperial presidency, someone ignoring all the customs of politics in order to get their way.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Glazier posted:

Not really

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nessin posted:

The Geneva convention allows the release of prisoners on parole without repatriation or adoption. Obama can, quite literally, kick them out the door as free people so long as the prisoners themselves agree to the conditions of release, which the US Government can just put no conditions at all on the parole. They'd need to be transported back to an area where they can, at least in theory, find means to support themselves but beyond that I'm not aware of any other law that would prevent freeing them that way.

Edit:
That is assuming that none of the prisoners are US Citizens, which would complicate things a bit.

Had he done that, he would likely not have thawed relations with Cuba.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

No I'm more thinking we just get out of the way and let them sectarian violence themselves to death instead of presenting ourselves as an easy target.

Ok at least this makes more sense. But I'm not sure I prefer the world with Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Israel as the major powers in the Middle East better than USA, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Israel as the major powers in the Middle East.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guarantee if he had just released those remaining few he would have been impeached. That's not even including the public outcry from members of both parties. While I agree that it's gross that we will absolutely be holding some of these people in Gitmo or elsewhere until they die, there just isn't a realistic scenario where they get released.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

nessin posted:

Edit:

It would be against the Geneva conventions and international law to dump them on a tiny sliver of American soil in a foreign country that was unwilling to accept them. There are no ports outside of US military facilities (which are banned from transporting prisoners) and a giant wall with armed guards on the Cuban side. Gitmo itself is also a very thin figleaf to avoid the Geneva conventions, but at least it is pretending. This would just be flagrantly illegal.

Cuba would also be very opposed to the precedent of the US dumping people in Gitmo and encouraging them to find ways into Cuba.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Jimmy Carter granted full and unconditional pardons for all Vietnam draft dodgers, including people who were not charged with dodging the draft because they committed fraud.

Carter specified the law that was broken in that, the Military Selective Service Act. Ford's pardon of Nixon didn't specify any crimes. I was looking for more open-ended pardons. I should've been more specific.

cravius posted:

Not really

Counterpoint, the voting record of the GOP since 1980.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guarantee if he had just released those remaining few he would have been impeached. That's not even including the public outcry from members of both parties. While I agree that it's gross that we will absolutely be holding some of these people in Gitmo or elsewhere until they die, there just isn't a realistic scenario where they get released.

If he had done it on day one I guarantee you that would not have happened. If he had done it way later, very likely he would not have been impeached but even if he had, it would have cleared the house but not the senate.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

botany posted:

If he had done it on day one I guarantee you that would not have happened. If he had done it way later, very likely he would not have been impeached but even if he had, it would have cleared the house but not the senate.

I think a lot of liberals forget that there's actually a huge amount of public support for anti-war movements and it's not some kind of unrealistic position to take to oppose continued military intervention around the world or as they like to call it, "the bipartisan consensus on foreign policy" it's become painfully clear who's agenda is being pushed with our foreign policy and it's not that of the American people, but of the corporations.

Ironically enough this probably ended up helping Trump in the general election because Hillary has the MIC shoved so far up her own rear end in the name of politics she can't actually say anything that people want to hear.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 28, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Yes, in accordance with Godwin's Law some people do accuse whoever they don't like of being Nazis. But surely you're arguing in bad faith if you're suggesting that the risk of fascism is no higher now than it was under Bush or Obama.

I'm not sure, what's the fascism index looking like today?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not sure, what's the fascism index looking like today?

Half a right-side up Mussolini.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

kelvron posted:

Half a right-side up Mussolini.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one imaging the Fascism Forecast being delivered in a style like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=377aCGXmY9Q

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

I think a lot of liberals forget that there's actually a huge amount of public support for anti-war movements and it's not some kind of unrealistic position to take to oppose continued military intervention around the world or as they like to call it, "the bipartisan consensus on foreign policy" it's become painfully clear who's agenda is being pushed with our foreign policy and it's not that of the American people, but of the corporations.

Ironically enough this probably ended up helping Trump in the general election because Hillary has the MIC shoved so far up her own rear end in the name of politics she can't actually say anything that people want to hear.

That support and a buck will get you a coffee at McDonald's. Americans object to our lives being lost, but the prevalence of prison-rape jokes makes it obvious we love torture, and actual opposition to Iraq and Afghanistan was as often indifferent to the suffering inflicted as based upon objecting to the suffering.

There's simply nobody that cares enough outside of those leftists who refuse to engage in politics on general principle. The factors pushing for the just solution are weak.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one imaging the Fascism Forecast being delivered in a style like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=377aCGXmY9Q

The scale runs from 3 upside-down Mussolinis to 3 right-side-up Mussolinis.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Brainiac Five posted:

That support and a buck will get you a coffee at McDonald's. Americans object to our lives being lost, but the prevalence of prison-rape jokes makes it obvious we love torture, and actual opposition to Iraq and Afghanistan was as often indifferent to the suffering inflicted as based upon objecting to the suffering.

There's simply nobody that cares enough outside of those leftists who refuse to engage in politics on general principle. The factors pushing for the just solution are weak.

Yeah few people were against Afghanistan ever effectronica because the Taliban was protecting Al Quada.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

kelvron posted:

Counterpoint, the voting record of the GOP since 1980.

Lol if you equate voting to grow business and lessen government restrictions on entrepreneurs with supporting corporate fat cats. The Democrats have always been the party of Wall Street.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

cravius posted:

Lol if you equate voting to grow business and lessen government restrictions on entrepreneurs with supporting corporate fat cats. The Democrats have always been the party of Wall Street.

Tell that to the Dems in 1936 :lol:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

cravius posted:

Weird how Wall Street is getting excited for Trump to remove Obama's regulations.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Spacebump posted:

Weird how Wall Street is getting excited for Trump to remove Obama's regulations.

Weird how Wall Street wanted Hillary to win

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

cravius posted:

Turns out making less money is preferable to even the slightest possibility of nuclear war.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

cravius posted:

Turns out that Wall Street doesn't want a destabilizing force in the most powerful seat of the biggest consumer market.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

cravius posted:

The stock market does seem to crash less when the Democrats are in power. Maybe because of those pesky government restrictions?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

cravius posted:

Yeah weird how gradual progress is preferable to them than the bumbling fascist clowns we're getting, who may initiate anything from mere financial chaos to nuclear holocaust

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

cravius posted:

Except I'm not.

For one, voting to sell off profitable government assets to the highest bidder for short-term gains and long-term losses, that's right out of the GOP's playbook.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

That long list of things are mostly not under Obama's control. Obama couldn't have stopped fracing or magically change court rulings. Obama pushed the limit of what regulators can do without a new act of congress.

But still, you're missing the big picture if you think Oil people are happy with Obama. They might not hate him as much as Coal people do, but the API et al did not get their way with the Obama administration. If they did, the green completions rule, the CPP and the renewables tax credits wouldn't exist. But keystone would.

The only big win under Obama for oil was lifting the ban on oil exports, which was a trade for renewable tax credit extensions.

Yeah if you want to know what Oil people want, look at who Trump is putting into his administration, like Mike Catanzaro, which wants to ban the federal government from considering climate change as a concern in policy decisions by federal agencies, and is tapped to be head of Trump's energy team.

EDIT: Other likely things to occur and voiced by Oil lobbyists:

Zeroing out of NASA's climate change monitering funds, along with NOAA and other federal agencies, along with monies for NEA grants and the like.

Zeroing out of funds for agencies investigating fracking side-effects, from the NEA to the US Geographical Survey.

Zeroing out or minimizing funding for EPA monitering of a wide swathe of industries, from clean water observation to fracking solution identification.

Zeroing out of renewable energy funding across the board.

Raising of subsisides for oil and gas companies.

Mandating the Navy halts its clean energy drive, one of the biggest forces in the market.

A bunch of horrendous poo poo that is escaping me (thankfully) right now.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 28, 2016

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The Washington Post is reporting that the Ohio State has confirmed the campus stabber as student Abdul Razak Ali Artan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah few people were against Afghanistan ever effectronica because the Taliban was protecting Al Quada.

Shut up, Crowsbeak.

• Locked thread