Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Where is that guy's pillow waifu
Who do you think took the photo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The Kins posted:

Who do you think took the photo?

Self-timer and a tripod. I don't expect his pillow to be able to take photographs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

there's a documentary about game preservation in Japan on NHK english streaming site starting in a few hours:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/lens/315_28.html

watch here when it airs:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/lens/

I respect this guy's (Redon's) work but there's something really offputting about him and everyone who meets him says the same thing.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

I always get a weird vibe from that place and the dude who runs it, like he's really into having girls come in to cosplay and people say he's got like a fixation with that stuff/a sex offender vibe. you decide:

Exposed white socks in photo, confirmed as pedo freako pervert. I'm sorry you'll have to break the news to him, d0s.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I respect this guy's (Redon's) work but there's something really offputting about him and everyone who meets him says the same thing.

Who's redon? I'm waiting for the doc to start, haven't seen it yet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

Who's redon? I'm waiting for the doc to start, haven't seen it yet.

Joseph Redon, the French guy who runs Game Preservation Society. He doesn't seem like a creep or whatever, I guess it's just the typical collector demeanour.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

d0s posted:

I saw people at the MVC2 cab one time only, the sticks were japan style but I'm not sure if they were actually good because the sticks on Raiden IV were absolute poo poo with huge balltops and very long shafts, I have no idea what was going on with that. I don't know the specifics because I didn't play any of the fighters because I'm not into MVC2 or those others. It's disappointing that with limited space they put in those games, I was there years ago and it was the exact same stuff only instead of triggerheart they had one of the mushihimesama games so they place has actually gotten shittier because triggerheart is awful (and I like the developer's previous stuff).

Like I get MVC2, even if it's not my thing it's something a lot of people play, but there are so many good fighters you can put in before melty blood or arcana heart it's kind of mind boggling. I always get a weird vibe from that place and the dude who runs it, like he's really into having girls come in to cosplay and people say he's got like a fixation with that stuff/a sex offender vibe. you decide:

Florida man as gently caress.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Joseph Redon, the French guy who runs Game Preservation Society. He doesn't seem like a creep or whatever, I guess it's just the typical collector demeanour.

do you know if he's into actually dumping and releasing stuff the way someone like shou does or is he more into "preserving" stuff by amassing a big hoard of rare stuff and locking it in a room. from what I hear there are a lot of japanese collectors who are vehemently against rare/prototype stuff bring dumped and that is really loving sad

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/

The documentary is on in 5 minutes.

Ooh bathing Capybaras

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 28, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

do you know if he's into actually dumping and releasing stuff the way someone like shou does or is he more into "preserving" stuff by amassing a big hoard of rare stuff and locking it in a room. from what I hear there are a lot of japanese collectors who are vehemently against rare/prototype stuff bring dumped and that is really loving sad

Gamepres is a legit NPO that aims to make things publicly accessible but they don't have the resources to handle the huge and growing stockpile of stuff they have right now, so they're pretty much treading water until they can get a government grant or a wealthy benefactor or something. I think their long-term plan was to develop a proprietary emulator and distribute things that way but I have no idea how close they are to achieving that goal - I think they mostly just lease things for events or source parts for arcade repairs and so on.

The guys Shou associates with mostly enjoy the cliquish aspect of collecting, I think, but they all seem to hate each other so I dunno what the hell is up.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
e

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Just finished the documentary, yeah the guy seems strange but I'm very glad of the work he's doing. I really want to raid his x68000 drawers with a disk dumper and let those games be free tho :v:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I'm currently considering getting a Super Everdrive because of the sale. SD2SNES is a bit too expensive considering what I'll be playing on it.

Thing is, my SNES is an unmodded PAL console. Is patching NTSC ROMs for it an easy process? I already killed a console back in the day trying to mod it and replacements are not that easy to get here in Bulgaria.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Why wouldn't you use a PAL rom? Alternatively I have an Australian PAL SNES and a Super Everdrive and ended up just importing a cheap no cables Japanese Super Famicom for like $30. gently caress 50hz it ruined my childhood and I didn't even know.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

dishwasherlove posted:

gently caress 50hz it ruined my childhood and I didn't even know.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
The fact the Trinitron PVM I got for free doesn't properly work with PAL video but NTSC works perfectly made me just get a Super Famicom and my SD2SNES has loved me ever since

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

dishwasherlove posted:

Why wouldn't you use a PAL rom? Alternatively I have an Australian PAL SNES and a Super Everdrive and ended up just importing a cheap no cables Japanese Super Famicom for like $30. gently caress 50hz it ruined my childhood and I didn't even know.

I've never really paid that much attention to the pal vs ntsc / 50 vs 60 Hz thing, aside from knowing about what territories have what, and how they're incompatible.

So, do PAL/50Hz games just run annoyingly slower than NTSC/60Hz?

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Enjoying neo geo games the wrong way and pooping on Floridian arcade owners; welcome to the retro games thread.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've never really paid that much attention to the pal vs ntsc / 50 vs 60 Hz thing, aside from knowing about what territories have what, and how they're incompatible.

For most games in the 8 and 16 bit era, just open a video on Youtube and set it to x0.75 speed and you basically have the PAL experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSSYo0npMhA

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Short answer: yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPhESbeKFIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMXA7FpR_U

If you're a man of honor and kindness, you'll now feel much empathy towards us euro gamers.

There's also the matter of - freely translated - "sorrow borders" which appear on euro games, because PAL TV system resolution actually has more pixels than NTSC, thus filling the empty spaces with annoying colored borders - or sometimes empty black - on top and the bottom of the screen.

Some games were what you call "PAL optimized", but even that varies: for some games music is patched to run at correct speed but the game is still slower, and for some music is right but gameplay is faster! What a mess! All this we euro gamers had to deal with, and still do, if you're not into imports or modding your console.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 28, 2016

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
What is the real difference between an AES and MVS cart anyway? Are the pins just wired diferently a-la PC Engine/TG16? I thought I saw someone buying a cheap 161-in-1 cart and converting it where it just had wires all over internally, but now I cannot find it.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

So, I know someone mentioned it a while back but I'm quite interested in doing another gift exchange. I'm absolutely swamped with work at the moment, but I'm interested in helping out in whatever capacity I can. I should talk to FactsAreUseless and see if current mods are still cool with gift exchanges. Also, does anyone know what website was being used to track stuff for previous gift exchanges?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

falz posted:

What is the real difference between an AES and MVS cart anyway? Are the pins just wired diferently a-la PC Engine/TG16? I thought I saw someone buying a cheap 161-in-1 cart and converting it where it just had wires all over internally, but now I cannot find it.
AES carts are smaller and the pin count is different. AES is 200 pin, MVS is 240. So less like PCE/TG16, more like Famicom/NES.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

is this like people calling a celebrity a jerk because they were hounded for their autograph after they got off a plane

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

rdbbb posted:

is this like people calling a celebrity a jerk because they were hounded for their autograph after they got off a plane

nice av brah

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

TeaJay posted:

Some games were what you call "PAL optimized", but even that varies: for some games music is patched to run at correct speed but the game is still slower, and for some music is right but gameplay is faster! What a mess! All this we euro gamers had to deal with, and still do, if you're not into imports or modding your console.

Truxton MD has the same rom for all regions, but is optimized for 50hz for some reason. After playing a few credits of the arcade version, it's obvious that what you get playing it on a PAL console is the intended speed. This is both the music and gameplay - it's all 10% faster on NTSC. That's not necessarily a bad thing, after all you're supposed to grab all the Speedups and zip around like crazy, this just makes it crazier :getin:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Jimbot posted:

Did people actually call the Super Nintendo the "Super NES" or was that just the XTREME 90's bullshit we look back on with confusion and shame? SNES or Super Nintendo is all I ever heard.

It's pronounced "Atari tapes".

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

dishwasherlove posted:

gently caress 50hz it ruined my childhood and I didn't even know.

I think we have our new thread subtitle right here.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
As someone once said, PAL is for your protection.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody here have Rockman & Forte for Wonderswan? I'm contemplating buying it and probably will anyway, but I'm curious as to how it actually plays.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've written a big post on the Kotoba no Puzzle series in the past so I'm not going to bother with that. I just wanted to say a few words about the GBA version.

The GBA game was the first home version of the series and it has tons of content. There's around 650 puzzles available and almost all of them are either immediately available (about 250 of them) or are available after playing a stage or two. Other versions of the game gate a lot of the content and feed you levels linearly so this is really nice for a pick and play puzzle game. OTOH, the music, which is what attracted me to the series in the first place, is not very good and it's not helped by the GBA's sound system. Also as the earliest game it lacks the goofy dictionary function from later games where you could try to unlock a bunch of words specifically relating to a topic for their comedic definitions (like Katamari Damacy's gallery). For those reason I think my favorite version is still the PSP one, but there's nothing wrong with this one.

It goes without saying, however, that you have to at least know some Japanese to play a Japanese word game.

shyduck posted:

Anybody here have Rockman & Forte for Wonderswan? I'm contemplating buying it and probably will anyway, but I'm curious as to how it actually plays.

No personal experience, but I've been told it's pretty bad and not remotely worth the price it commands.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

shyduck posted:

yes, it stinks

e: get buffers evolution instead

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

d0s posted:

yes, it stinks

e: get buffers evolution instead
I'll take a look at it, thanks!

Also, do you have any other recommendations for the system that are somewhat English-friendly? Doesn't matter what genre, but I have only one game for it at the moment and I'd like to pick up a few more that I can actually play.

edit: yeah I'm gonna definitely avoid it now, unless it falls in my lap super cheap or something, which it currently isn't

shyduck fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 28, 2016

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

shyduck posted:

The definition of hot trash. Bad level designs, bad controls, bad enemy designs, bad weapons, annoying use of screen orientation switches. I don't care how much you like Mega Man, you will not like this game.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

shyduck posted:

Also, do you have any other recommendations for the system that are somewhat English-friendly?

you picked the wrong system for that unless you have a flash cart and can play some of the really expensive games like judgement silversword

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
This FAQ is where I started for English friendly games. I should probably dump my massive stack since I have the flash cart now :shepface:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?14232-My-WonderSwan-Misc-Questions-FAQ-(your-feedback-appreciated)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

shyduck posted:

Also, do you have any other recommendations for the system that are somewhat English-friendly? Doesn't matter what genre, but I have only one game for it at the moment and I'd like to pick up a few more that I can actually play.

The puzzle games are probably your best bet. Gunpey, Tane o Makutori, Ochan no Oekaki Logic, and so on. They're relatively cheap and most of them don't rely heavily on language. Naturally, you'll also want Densha de Go 1 and 2, though obviously these are much better on other systems (I played so much Densha de Go while travelling this weekend...). Action games on the Wonderswan do not come cheap and most of the library is adventure games.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Thanks eBay!

It even came in a case. :allears:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

One more Wonderswan thing, I found the first Super Robot Wars game on the system extra difficult to get into. Usually I can push through on my meager Japanese skills but that one gave me trouble.

Caitlin posted:

Thanks eBay!

It even came in a case. :allears:

I'm mildly curious about what happens when you try to trade pokemon with people playing on the regular cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

rdbbb posted:

I mentioned it because he came up in conversation recently and the people I was talking to were getting the same vibe off him and I was somewhat relieved to learn I wasn't imagining things. I don't feel slighted by him, he's a perfectly nice dude who's doing good work, but yeah, my comment came off way pettier than it should have. My bad.

• Locked thread