Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

- The 48th place list looks like shardless bug without visions and with ninja of the deep hour instead. It does not look good to me, but I've never T64ed a GP

Strix into Ninja for value all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

And B/W Eldrazi taxes pretty much nukes that deck. :shrug:

It depends on the draw. It's a very swingy matchup.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

GP Chiba for Legacy apparently was a thing that happened this weekend.

- The top 8 Elves list had 1 Leovold and 2 Nissa, Vital Force main. I think Leovold is generically super good card but Nissa seems sus.

Nissa's almost certainly a hedge against Miracles, they have 4 Forces in the deck to counter it but if they can't they have exactly one turn to deal with it before Quirion Ranger can draw them a card every single turn for the rest of the game and it beats down with excess lands pretty well.

E: Palace Jailer is also likely a Miracles hedge

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 28, 2016

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
For the GP Chiba video coverage and other tournaments by the same coverage group they have text going over the match periodically - especially for big plays. Is that from the coverage team or is it from some sort of chat room? That'd be a hilarious job to have, whenever someone does an epic play just type "wwwwwwwwww" and however many hundreds / thousands of people watching see it scroll over their screen

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

black potus posted:

Contextless emptyquote.

Did I do it right?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

For the GP Chiba video coverage and other tournaments by the same coverage group they have text going over the match periodically - especially for big plays. Is that from the coverage team or is it from some sort of chat room? That'd be a hilarious job to have, whenever someone does an epic play just type "wwwwwwwwww" and however many hundreds / thousands of people watching see it scroll over their screen

It's the chat room. Nico Nico Douga scrolls internet comments over the video in real time, and there's a plugin for twitch.tv that does it as well if you want to subject yourself to twitch chat on top of a stream.

"wwwwwwwww" is the Japanese equivalent of "lolololol"

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Walgreens has magic boosters and intro decks for 40% off.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bugsy posted:

Does the fact that I thought about this for more than five seconds mean I have a problem?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Does the fact that I thought about this for more than five seconds mean I have a problem?

no. almost %50 off on boosters is a steal, especially if they never update to kaladesh and have EMN/ SOI. i might have to grab some after work sometime this week.

as long as you don't grab the entire peg off the wall, at least :v:

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Bugsy posted:

All the Walgreens?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PenguinKnight posted:

no. almost %50 off on boosters is a steal, especially if they never update to kaladesh and have EMN/ SOI. i might have to grab some after work sometime this week.

No you're supposed to say "C-Euro don't be an idiot and immediately sweep all the Wal-greens near you" dammit

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Injuryprone posted:

All the Walgreens?

it should be, yes

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

lmao i had no clue nico nico was streaming the gp, y'all thought that twitch chat was bad

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

PenguinKnight posted:

I just grabbed all 6 off the peg they had at my local Walgreens and opened two more Dovin Baans. They rest were bulk but pulling 2 planes walkers in six packs was cool.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/2016/11/5-reasons-why-rare-redrafts-are-terrible-for-magic-the-gathering/

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!
Am I the only person who's enjoying this standard format? Paper results have been kinda stagnant, but there's a bunch of decks running around online that can hang with BG, UW and vehicles. RG Aetherworks (which will rapidly become tier 1 imo), Jeskai Control and RB aggro are all totally valid choices along with a slew of other brews that are taking down leagues. You can play whatever style suits you and still be competitive, games tend to be interactive and skill testing (outside of T4 Emrakul from Aetherworks), and it's not as ridiculously expensive as previous standard formats.

Attendance is pretty strong where I am, though it doesn't sound as good elsewhere. Would be interesting to see some hard data on the topic, but good luck with that.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Around my area there's this idea that Standard has been "solved", but if things are as you say then maybe people will find out that it's still open.

But then there's the fact that most of the pro level events are all getting taken by the same decks time and again.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I want 2 blocks of absolute garbage green and white creatures to finally strangle midrange

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Veyrall posted:

Around my area there's this idea that Standard has been "solved"

Standard is definitely "solved". There are exactly 5 "best decks" which is significantly less than we usually have in Standard because

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Standard is definitely "solved". There are exactly 5 "best decks" which is significantly less than we usually have in Standard because

If 5 means 2 then sure. What are other 3 besides White/Blue flash and Green/Black Delirium? R/W vehicles, Aetherwork something, and Red/Black aggro?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Toshimo posted:

There aren't 5 best decks. There are 2. And number 3 isn't close.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

There aren't 5 best decks. There are 2. And number 3 isn't close.

Hey come on, Aetherworks can beat GB and gets crushed by UW, that's almost rock-paper-scissors if it also didn't have trouble losing to itself and could beat the aggro decks.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!
I'm not arguing BG and UW aren't the top 2 decks in the format, just that the gap is not as big as people think. You might lose a few points by going with another deck but you can make that up by knowing the matchups against the top decks better than they may. If you're not playing at a GP/Open level I'd argue that you have an equally good chance to take an event down with the decks that I mentioned. Even if you are playing at a high level I don't think you're giving up much by choosing a different deck.

Hellsau posted:

Hey come on, Aetherworks can beat GB and gets crushed by UW, that's almost rock-paper-scissors if it also didn't have trouble losing to itself and could beat the aggro decks.

RG Aetherworks actually has game against UW and still walks all over BG. I'm not an expert in it but it's crushing leagues and PTQs online.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

I'm glad Thomas wrote this, the original article was garbage.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

Jimmy Jazz posted:

I'm not arguing BG and UW aren't the top 2 decks in the format, just that the gap is not as big as people think. You might lose a few points by going with another deck but you can make that up by knowing the matchups against the top decks better than they may. If you're not playing at a GP/Open level I'd argue that you have an equally good chance to take an event down with the decks that I mentioned. Even if you are playing at a high level I don't think you're giving up much by choosing a different deck.

RG Aetherworks actually has game against UW and still walks all over BG. I'm not an expert in it but it's crushing leagues and PTQs online.

I agree, I think RG is the current deck to watch, and shows the evolution of the format.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mattah posted:

I agree, I think RG is the current deck to watch, and shows the evolution of the format.

Called it

Rinkles posted:

I'd suggest more Ishkanahs, since it's a decent hit off Marvel whilst being very castable w/o it.

Rinkles posted:

Haven't seen many "value" midrange Aetherworks decks (i.e., not all in on cheating in Eldrazi), have we?

:c00lbutt:

(don't take this post too seriously, somebody)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm going to by flying to visit a friend in a few months to hang out and play games. I'm planning on taking a chunk of my collection with me. What's the best way to handle this? I assume I'd want to do it all as carry-on and not checked luggage, so basically a backpack full of BCW boxes?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

I'm going to by flying to visit a friend in a few months to hang out and play games. I'm planning on taking a chunk of my collection with me. What's the best way to handle this? I assume I'd want to do it all as carry-on and not checked luggage, so basically a backpack full of BCW boxes?

Don't. Spend some time deciding what you really need to take and keep it to a minimum.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm not even sure you could carry a bunch of boards games as carry on. You get what, 15 pounds? That's like 3 games, tops. And it's just a whole mess trying to squeeze everything in. Unless you're doing the whole trip with just a carry-on so you don't have to wait at the baggage carousel, I wouldn't bother.

I've done a whole bunch of flying with board games in checked baggage though. Pick the games you want to take, condense them down to smaller boxes (for a lot of games, you can fit a whole bunch of them into two boxes by putting all the boards in one box and then bagged-up components in the other), then stick them in your suitcase with some padding around the side. Bubble-wrap if you're paranoid, but honestly just padding with t-shirts and stuff (assuming you don't mind your clothes not being pristinely folded) works fine.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jabor posted:

I'm not even sure you could carry a bunch of boards games as carry on. You get what, 15 pounds? That's like 3 games, tops. And it's just a whole mess trying to squeeze everything in. Unless you're doing the whole trip with just a carry-on so you don't have to wait at the baggage carousel, I wouldn't bother.

I've done a whole bunch of flying with board games in checked baggage though. Pick the games you want to take, condense them down to smaller boxes (for a lot of games, you can fit a whole bunch of them into two boxes by putting all the boards in one box and then bagged-up components in the other), then stick them in your suitcase with some padding around the side. Bubble-wrap if you're paranoid, but honestly just padding with t-shirts and stuff (assuming you don't mind your clothes not being pristinely folded) works fine.

Wrong thread, nerd.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Toshimo posted:

Wrong thread, nerd.

Magic the gathering and board games. I am the ultra nerd.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hellsau posted:

But GB is much better able to adapt to it's bad matchups than Aetherworks is.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jabor posted:

Magic the gathering and board games. I am the ultra nerd.
It was a meme in this thread for a while that I'd come along to talk about eurogames for a couple posts then fly away.

I would say board games are something you definitely can leave in checked luggage as long as you've prepared them with enough padding, but MTG you want to keep on your person so they don't mysteriously disappear. Keep it to a minimum, but I've flown with a couple 800ct boxes, a few fat packs, playmats, and 2-3 binders in my suitcase before. If they're all anime deckboxes and mats, the TSA agent will only handle one box to see what's inside before being too embarrassed to go through them all. :haw:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Aranan posted:

Last time I flew with Magic cards back to DC I almost got my starfish searched, you make the call man

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

That's what you get when you fly with huge bombs in your decks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Me at the airport, on a Saturday: don't talk about my draft, don't talk about my draft....

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Well, I'm not planning on taking 10,000 cards with me. A couple EDH decks, a couple pauper decks, maybe a stack of basics for limited. I don't really trade, so I don't have a trade binder. I figure two 800ct BCW boxes will fit everything I'm bringing and they slide right into a dufflebag or backpack without much issue.

I'm already planning to pack away a few board games in my checked baggage--they're not as expensive as my cards, so I don't feel the need to keep them on my person.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PleasantDirge posted:

Last time I flew with Magic cards back to DC I almost got my starfish searched, you make the call man

You should probably not pack a starfish in your carry-on luggage, friend. :tipshat:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Are you ready for spoilers

reddit says that this is what those say:

quote:

Yahenni's Expertise
2BB Sorcery (Rare)
All creatures get -3/-3 until end of turn.
You may cast a card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your hand without paying its mana cost.

Trophy Mage
2U (Uncommon)
Creature - Human Wizard
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost 3, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
2/2

Scrap Trawler
3 (Rare)
Artifact Creature - Construct
Whenever ~ or another artifact you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return to your hand target artifact card in your graveyard with lesser converted mana cost.
3/2

Quicksmith Rebel
3R (probably rare if launch promo, but symbol is obscured)
Creature - Human Artificer
When ~ enters the battlefield, target artifact [creature? you control?] gains "T: This artifact [...] to target creature or [...] you control [...]
?/?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

Are you ready for spoilers

reddit says that this is what those say:

That sweeper is loving amazing. Sweep the board and play a lily from hand? gently caress if that isn't modern playable.

And the art looks loving rad.

• Locked thread