Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

Are you planning on moving literally 5+ tons of poo poo at a time with regularity? If not, get a goddamn F150/1500 truck and be done with it.

gently caress man, we did more when I was younger with trashed out 80s F150s and K1500s than most anyone now does with these giant monstrosities.

You do not need a loving 2500HD to put a dead goddamn deer in the back, even if he had two dead elk as buddies.

I can vouch for that. Unless you're towing more then a ~21ft trailer, our F150 has served us well. I've dragged home cars and machine tools. Filled it to the brim with firewood and trash for the recycling center. It's been a real work horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

$25k for an 8 year old truck with over 100k miles is a bigger troll than a Saturn with a salvage title.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

the spyder posted:

I can vouch for that. Unless you're towing more then a ~21ft trailer, our F150 has served us well. I've dragged home cars and machine tools. Filled it to the brim with firewood and trash for the recycling center. It's been a real work horse.

Counterpoint: with a half-ton truck, U-Haul won't rent you a car trailer. Just a two-wheel dolly. You need to have a 3/4 ton or better to get the car trailer.

Darchangel posted:

edit: images are being fucky, at least where I'm viewing from. If no images, galleries are: steering wheel and power window switch

Looks like whatever janky image host you're using has a busted SSL certificate. I think the forums are set to auto-upgrade all connections to https now, so unless you specifically load the page as http it won't work with that host until they fix it.

Also, I'm the

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Raluek posted:

Counterpoint: with a half-ton truck, U-Haul won't rent you a car trailer. Just a two-wheel dolly. You need to have a 3/4 ton or better to get the car trailer.

Looks like whatever janky image host you're using has a busted SSL certificate. I think the forums are set to auto-upgrade all connections to https now, so unless you specifically load the page as http it won't work with that host until they fix it.

Also, I'm the

That's because uhaul is dumb as poo poo, and there's no way that's correct. Because I rented a 1500 truck from uhaul and towed their car trailer with it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've had an 06 150 since 2009,and it has 234000 miles on it. V6 with the 7 or 6.5ft bed or whatever on it. It's done everything I've needed it to do, pallets of wet mulch, loaded down with loads to the dump, furniture, so on. Pulled a loaded trailer too. Honestly, unless you are hauling a car, an F150 would be fine. I think it could definitely pull a car, but I haven't yet.

Granted, I want a four door F250 with an 8ft bed just because I can and my wife said I could get one.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Depends what car you tell them you're towing with it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iwentdoodie posted:

That's because uhaul is dumb as poo poo, and there's no way that's correct. Because I rented a 1500 truck from uhaul and towed their car trailer with it.

Weird, looks like I was working with incomplete information. I guess they make a distinction between an older half ton and a more recent one. Their website didn't like a 1960 or 1991 F-100/150, but it did like a 2010 F-150. :shrug:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iwentdoodie posted:

My 06 F-150 was rated to tow almost 11k pounds (or maybe it was 12k) and I hauled a car trailer across a good chunk of the country with it. It had the 5.4l v-8 and the trailer package.

Sold it to my neighbor and it's still going strong with over 150k on the clock, and I don't think he has done poo poo to maintain it since I sold it with about 85k miles.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

See this is why I consult with you guys, I have no idea about trucks and I've never looked for one before :v:

I'll stick to looking at tundras and 1500s and see if anything comes up. I swear to Christ they're expensive as all hell compared to cars of the same vintage and mileage

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, America really needs dropside Transits. That's what the correct answer to "I need a full-size bed work truck to do actual work truck things, because I use my work truck to do work, and I'm totally not compensating for anything" looks like.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

The Locator posted:

My 06 F-150 was rated to tow almost 11k pounds (or maybe it was 12k) and I hauled a car trailer across a good chunk of the country with it. It had the 5.4l v-8 and the trailer package.

Sold it to my neighbor and it's still going strong with over 150k on the clock, and I don't think he has done poo poo to maintain it since I sold it with about 85k miles.

Isn't "tow rating" complete bullshit though? I thought the actual towing capacity was limited to the maximum GVW

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

QuarkMartial posted:

I've had an 06 150 since 2009,and it has 234000 miles on it. V6 with the 7 or 6.5ft bed or whatever on it. It's done everything I've needed it to do, pallets of wet mulch, loaded down with loads to the dump, furniture, so on. Pulled a loaded trailer too. Honestly, unless you are hauling a car, an F150 would be fine. I think it could definitely pull a car, but I haven't yet.

Granted, I want a four door F250 with an 8ft bed just because I can and my wife said I could get one.

I lugged a big two-car trailer and the Ford F100 it was carrying with a 3.7L F150, as well as numerous bike trailer configs.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

funny Star Wars parody posted:

See this is why I consult with you guys, I have no idea about trucks and I've never looked for one before :v:

I'll stick to looking at tundras and 1500s and see if anything comes up. I swear to Christ they're expensive as all hell compared to cars of the same vintage and mileage

They are. Buying used trucks loving sucks. Being where you are sucks even more for them.

If you're willing to fly and drive or ship it, look south. Much bigger pool of vehicles and no rust.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yup. I really wanted to get a 1500 for my kart poo poo when I got into it and the prices were loving ridiculous. Ended up getting a Safari that had half the mileage of any truck I looked at, body was pristine and paid like a third of the price. It really sucks cause I wasn't looking for anything fancy either.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1500quidporsche posted:

Yup. I really wanted to get a 1500 for my kart poo poo when I got into it and the prices were loving ridiculous. Ended up getting a Safari that had half the mileage of any truck I looked at, body was pristine and paid like a third of the price. It really sucks cause I wasn't looking for anything fancy either.

Yeah, if you're towing a trailer a van is just as good if not better.

If you're looking at 25/3500 series trucks, just realize you're looking at poo poo that is literally built to pull cars/hay bales/livestock. Not occasionally, daily. They ride worse, get worse mileage, and cost too loving much.

TT, for your uses listed a loving 90s F150 would meet and exceed them by far. But I'd probably recommend an early/mid 00s Silverado with the 5.3, or one of the unicorns with the 6.0 if you could find it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Tundras hold their value like crazy. I put my 2000 4wd on craigslist earlier this year and sold it in 5 hours above NADA. Should have asked more I guess. Come down south, we'll find you a rust-free heavy hauler. It's a God damned golden age of cheap v8 power, why sell yourself short? :D

Also there should be a trucks/trailer/hauling thread.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Aussies just laugh at the thought you need a truck to tow.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
What i want is a van that i can tow a car with and also sleep in. Building my own interior in an E350 diesel pretty high on the list.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is he one of the guys who was suing APEGA?
You mean the loon who made a human rights case which is now going to the courts about repeatedly not passing exams that everyone needs to pass (even Canadian students) because he's an immigrant? No. Not that guy.

Tomarse posted:

I think i'd struggle to lie/be creative like that even for a close friend. For an acquaintance like him that you only hear from every few years I would just be truthful.

From my employing people and HR experience I would guess that only a negative reference is going to stop anyone getting the job unless its really really close between two candidates and they can't decide.
From your post it sounds like you're going to be positive about him anyway so just be truthful.
I'm not going to lie, I can't do that. I work in a relatively small industry where everyone knows everyone (more or less) so even if I could lie, or be very creative, I couldn't. It's odd that the guy is pretty much outright asking me to do just that though with parroting things that I wouldn't realistically have a way to know. It's bizarre to me that someone thinks a person wouldn't have a problem doing it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Legally we have to. Literally. Check the tow ratings for identical cars in the US vs everywhere else.

Like I know a crown vic will haul a loving car...but legally it can't, because USA.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
The entirety of an email received from craigslist mutant:

Ugg, the craigslist caveman posted:

intersted in lq4 crank

:ughh:

I did reply as I want to be rid of this thing, but I mean, where do you go from there?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The entirety of an email received from craigslist mutant:

:ughh:

I did reply as I want to be rid of this thing, but I mean, where do you go from there?

Is it better or worse than getting this from a random number?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Door Frame posted:

Where do these people come from?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I have a 2011 Tundra - love it. That being said - its loving overkill for what I need. But, there's no deal "small" truck options anymore. A decent used Tundra or Chevy 1500 is what I would recommend. They'll do literally everything you are looking for with ease. Don't stress the 8 foot box - it makes driving/parking it in the city a bitch. I've got the 5'8" (or whatever it is) box and with the tailgate down I can haul 4x8's easily.

The other option, which if you have the space may be better - get a small truck (older ranger/taco) or a smallish SUV with a half-assed towing capacity and get a small landscaping trailer. I've got a 6x8 one that hauls a ton, has a ramp to get things up into it, etc. Best $1500 I've spent. Easily the better way to spend your moneys, especially if its going to be "ton of use for hauling stuff then next to none".

Because, be honest - how often will your truck truck?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Door Frame posted:

That's why you always do craigslist stuff on burner phones. I've got two different ringplus phones and don't have to deal with any nonsense that I have to worry about getting back to my real info.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Eh, I just do email only on a "burner" email account. If you don't want to correspond via email, then I guess you don't want it all that bad or you're trying to pull some other kind of shady poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Eh, I just do email only on a "burner" email account. If you don't want to correspond via email, then I guess you don't want it all that bad or you're trying to pull some other kind of shady poo poo.

A lot of people communicate only by text. If you don't put a number, they don't respond. Texting isn't my thing, but if it comes down to making sales... Well, I'll do what I need to!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Isn't "tow rating" complete bullshit though? I thought the actual towing capacity was limited to the maximum GVW

No, GVW it the gross weight of the truck on the truck's axles. The only part of the trailer weight that counts towards the GVW would be the tongue weight which in general should be about 10% of the trailer total weight.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH81IqeWmvI&t=12s

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

InitialDave posted:

Just had a typical one on eBay: buy it now with best offer, so offer 80% of asking price, guy de-lists it because he's "getting too many daft offers".
Fairly typical. I usually start at 75-80% then work up, usually get auto rejected first offer but sometimes you can get lucky.

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm still going through some archive computer stuff and found something interesting -- Intel replaced my Gateway's Pentium processor because it mathed wrong. I think that event may be older than some of the posters here. :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug
I'll let you in on a secret, this happens a LOT more often than people think ask me about replacing every CPU (10k+) in massive supercomputers multiple times

DoLittle posted:

They had a quite large bankcrupcy/seizure auction last weekend:
http://www.rmsothebys.com/tv16/duemila-ruote/results/?category=Cars&salecode=tv16&sort=make&year=2016

Old group A cars have become expensive:

:fap: The historic race car market has gone crazy lately especially for any car with history and paperwork to prove it. Not many years ago you could pick up a DTM/BTCC car for around the same price as a very clean low mile street example. Very much not the case anymore.

Raluek posted:

Weird, looks like I was working with incomplete information. I guess they make a distinction between an older half ton and a more recent one. Their website didn't like a 1960 or 1991 F-100/150, but it did like a 2010 F-150. :shrug:
U-haul is very against using old stuff to haul or tow and will throw up warnings and other stuff.

Anyone in or around Palmdale, CA? Here for the week fixing some stuff and installing some new stuff. Was going to go out and see if I could find good food tonight but napped after I got back to the hotel and after that there's no way in hell I'm going anywhere. Delivery from Asian #1 was a good choice.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Siochain posted:

I have a 2011 Tundra - love it. That being said - its loving overkill for what I need. But, there's no deal "small" truck options anymore. A decent used Tundra or Chevy 1500 is what I would recommend. They'll do literally everything you are looking for with ease. Don't stress the 8 foot box - it makes driving/parking it in the city a bitch. I've got the 5'8" (or whatever it is) box and with the tailgate down I can haul 4x8's easily.

The other option, which if you have the space may be better - get a small truck (older ranger/taco) or a smallish SUV with a half-assed towing capacity and get a small landscaping trailer. I've got a 6x8 one that hauls a ton, has a ramp to get things up into it, etc. Best $1500 I've spent. Easily the better way to spend your moneys, especially if its going to be "ton of use for hauling stuff then next to none".

Because, be honest - how often will your truck truck?

I love my 2012 Tundra crewmax because it makes a great family vehicle. Enough room between the two front seats that my wife can crawl back and change diapers on the fly. And even with the front seats all the way back my lanky 6'6" rear end can sit back there. And while it's not fun to drive it's at least quick with 381hp and 4:30 rear axle.

It has to truck about once a week, either an 1800lb bed of feed, 9-10k trailer load of round bales, or occasionally a 5k trailer load of animals. Works great. I actually stepped down from a 2006 Silverado 2500HD CCLB duramax. The tundra is cheaper to own, easier to park, and I hope it will be less likely to surprise me with a huge repair bill. The only downside is the 16.2mpg I got on a 1700 mile trip last week.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v45T5vRlQbM

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The ute was probably being serviced that day

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You could almost certain do everything you've listed in a Tacoma.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Yeah unless you intend to haul a lot of really heavy poo poo, get a 1500.

case in point:

thats 800lb of rubber. Even a ranger can haul that in the bed.

this bastid has other jobs though

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mariooncrack posted:

Some times drivers do their routes out of order. If I remember correctly, the computer gives them am order of how to do the deliveries but they don't always follow. He may be doing more commercial places now.

If I remember correctly, first week was slow for me. Picked up after that though. Just keep calling every morning if they don't call you.

Yeah I eventually got in touch with him and met up. Met him around 1:45, he dropped me back off at my car at 5:15. Not as many hours as I'd hoped for, but it's something, and it feels good to actually be working. This was 100% residential, pretty much in a 2 square mile area. We dropped almost 100 packages, and he'd dropped about as many before we met up.

Holy poo poo. Now I know why you never see a fat UPS driver. My legs are hurting in ways that I forgot they could hurt, but in a good way. :feelsgood: I know I'm going to be sore for a few days until I get into it a bit more.

Also have an interview with two different Lowe's and a Nissan parts distribution center tomorrow. Lowe's interviews are as a delivery driver (non CDL, but in the ghetto) and cashier (in a very nice area). Nissan DC is a pretty long drive for me and only pays $1/hr more than Lowe's, and it's in a non-HVAC warehouse. And a very kind goon had PM'd me about a possible lead with an Apple store, I need to get off my rear end and get my resume over to him/her.

6.0, and it's in a city named after me. :swoon:

I have no idea what they're worth though. And the carfax says it was a commercial fleet vehicle at one point, so maintenance (and abuse) may be quite suspect. And like others are saying... you don't need a 2500. It's easier to find the 6.0 in the 2500, but a 1500 will work just fine for 99.9% of what you plan to do.

I was only really looking at newer stuff because i'm tired of working on my car in my spare time and hopefully one of these guys won't blow up in the next three years

Wait, don't we have the same car, aside from the engine? I know I have at least double the mileage, and mine's been really reliable. Until the other day, but that was thanks to rodents and wiring harnesses mixing. It's back to running great, aside from bitching about the secondary O2 sensor being unplugged.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Amazon stuff...

Amazon hooked me up with the promised discount today. Thanks for prompting me to send that email to Bezos, clearly he (or someone screening his emails) read it. They actually called me and when I missed the call left a voice mail and then sent an email.

Amazon CS Rep posted:

Hello xxxxxxx,

I'm Txxxxx Mxxx of Amazon.com's Executive Customer Relations. Jeff Bezos received your email and I'm responding on his behalf.

(stuff about how they should not have said they would give that discount)

However, since you were promised we would manually adjust the price and honor the deal if you went ahead and placed the order, I've issued a refund of $199.71 to your Amazon.com Visa.

Unlike all the normal CS reps, this gal gave a full first and last name in the response.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Amazing how bitching works.

Also

https://threelegdogest.bandcamp.com/track/dog

God I love dirty rear end stoner metal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

You could almost certain do everything you've listed in a Tacoma.

As a Tacoma driver, they are over priced as hell and have awful fuel economy. If I were looking for a used pick up, go domestic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

slidebite posted:

As a Tacoma driver, they are over priced as hell and have awful fuel economy. If I were looking for a used pick up, go domestic.

My neighbor has one, and loves it, but I don't really understand why. He got it a year after I got my F-150, and while some of the Fords trim around the back of the hood has decayed and crumbled in the sun, his Tacoma looks like it's been doused in salt for it's entire life, the paint is just terrible. He's also talking about needing a new engine sometime soon (don't know why) and it's got about 150k miles on it, so close to the same as the Ford, which is still running fine. He gets significantly worse mileage than I got in the Ford too, even with the big V-8. I averaged about 17.5 in mixed driving, and he gets around 12-13.

The biggest issue with the F-150 in it's 10 year life is the power window's. I had to fix the drivers side front before I sold it, and now the drivers side rear mini-window is stuck down (I haven't volunteered to help fix it and he hasn't asked). Also the center console top sort of wore out and is now missing. Both of these items aren't what I would consider unreasonable wear for a 10 year old truck with that many miles on it.

• Locked thread