Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

the black husserl posted:

There's no secret cabal dude, I'm talking you suckers getting played constantly by the laziest trolls. Instead of talking about Trump's latest lurch into authoritarian hilarity we've got 100 posts about "is fear of muslims RATIONAL?"

USPOL has become the bizarro world version of CNN having "Are Jews People?" as a headline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wait, is Mass Health (and other state level programs) going to be hosed by this?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure the concept of "criticizing Islam" is even coherent. There are too many different strains and sects and schools. Sunnis are not Shia are not (necessarily) Sufi. It's intellectual valid to criticize specific practices or interpretations sure, but what does a general criticism of "Islam" even mean? It's just an intellectually lazy generalization and like most such generalizations fundamentally wrongheaded.

I mean, example: you could write a coherent critique of, say, Prosperity Gospel evangelical Christians, or Mormons, or orthodox catholics, but a generalized critique that applied to them all wouldn't have much worthwhile to say because they're all fundamentally different in terms of morals, ethics, etc. They don't have philosophy or beliefs in common so much as they have common branding.

It's all pretty dumb and if it's inspiring people to become terrorists or bomb planned parenthoods or whatever then it's ok to give them a blanket negative opinion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FAUXTON posted:

A) Exchanges and premium subsidies are probably out.
B) Instead of premium subsidies, enrollees will get ~$2,100 in the form of a (lol probably nonrefundable) tax credit.
C) Insurers are probably going to be required to cover preexisting conditions but only as long as the insured has no gaps in coverage.
D) Inter-state selling of policies means every insurer operates out of Wyoming who will allow them to operate at a 30% loss ratio on top of only really needing to provide catastrophic coverage to be considered comprehensive health insurance.

They'll open up the exchanges and leave it up to the states to regulate the insurance requirements so then all the insurance companies will go to the state that has the minimum requirements and allow a surcharge or outright refusal of pre existing conditions.

Or they'll use a disastrous high risk pool.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait, is Mass Health (and other state level programs) going to be hosed by this?

Completely depends on the details.

But... Abandon All Hope, etc, etc.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you rely on the subsidy, yes unless you can somehow convince the wasteland between boston and springfield to make up the tax difference

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Probably yeah because gently caress states rights unless it's about state oppression.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

On a lighter note, new hat!

It's depressing that things like seeing 45 on the side make me realize just a little bit more how real and hosed this situation is.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Times like this make me thankful that I already have a Donald Trump contingency plan set up when things go south

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

How was Obama to the right of Clinton? The only big policy difference between them that I remember is Clinton supported a healthcare mandate and Obama didn't.

Remember that there were people seriously arguing during the primary that Clinton was somehow to the "left" of Sanders, or at least more "left" on race (?), and even so they all agreed 93% of the time (that is, on bills that came before the leftist hotbed that is the US Senate they voted the same 93% of the time).

Words have lost all meaning.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

Times like this make me thankful that I already have a Donald Trump contingency plan set up when things go south

Same

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HorseRenoir posted:

Suicide is never the answer

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The state programs could get screwed when they let companies all move to Montana or wherever.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Guy Goodbody posted:

Suicide is never the answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

foobardog posted:

Remember that there were people seriously arguing during the primary that Clinton was somehow to the "left" of Sanders, or at least more "left" on race (?), and even so they all agreed 93% of the time (that is, on bills that came before the leftist hotbed that is the US Senate they voted the same 93% of the time).

Words have lost all meaning.

Well, Sanders is to the right of Clinton on guns.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's been years but I've only just realized that I have no loving idea how my health insurance works.

This bodes well.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, Sanders is to the right of Clinton on guns.

Guns aren't inherently 'right' or 'left', they're guns. There's a reason armed left-wing groups have been targeted and taken out almost instantly throughout US history.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
If there's one hope to the total privatization of the public health insurances, it's that it'll make some future version of the ACA much easier to implement. Create a public option that people can buy into. Private health insurance wouldn't be able to compete and will eventually die out. Bam, UHC.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

HorseRenoir posted:

Hope it's "be white, have marketable job skill" else you're hosed.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Guns aren't inherently 'right' or 'left', they're guns. There's a reason armed left-wing groups have been targeted and taken out almost instantly throughout US history.

Yes. This.

Mind you I think it's important to still focus and include social issues like guns, race, gender, and sexuality in the party platform, because gently caress you if your class politics ignores identity and vice versa.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bueno Papi posted:

If there's one hope to the total privatization of the public health insurances, it's that it'll make some future version of the ACA much easier to implement. Create a public option that people can buy into. Private health insurance wouldn't be able to compete and will eventually die out. Bam, UHC.

oh you sweet summer child

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So is there anything stopping Obama from making a nationally televised speech on what the Republicans are doing and describing in detail exactly all the bad things that are going to happen as a result? Because it'll be nice to have that for posterity when all those bad things happen over the next couple years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Bueno Papi posted:

Hahahhahahahahahahaha no really are you delusional?

People are going to die probably by the thousands.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is there anything stopping Obama from making a nationally televised speech on what the Republicans are doing and describing in detail exactly all the bad things that are going to happen as a result? Because it'll be nice to have that for posterity when all those bad things happen over the next couple years.

Most likely the fact that Obama is a liberal buying the "come together and heal line". I mean good on him if he mimics Eisenhower's "Military-Industrial Complex" speech, but it doesn't seem like he's the guy who would do it. Don't get your hopes up for Biden, either.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://tomprice.house.gov/HR2300

Here is what Price last proposed if you want some light reading

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They'd have to actively go out of their way to gently caress state programs that explicitly do their own thing and blathering fuckwits on the internet aside there is no sign they intend to do that.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bueno Papi posted:

You've just reminded me that World AIDS Day is coming up.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Truth is in the middle bullshit with the gop going "no you!!" Followed by blaming anything bad on Obama.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I obviously don't know poo poo about health insurance. Will these changes cause things to be worse than they were before the ACA or will things just go back to the level of hosed that they were before?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

foobardog posted:

Yes. This.

Mind you I think it's important to still focus and include social issues like guns, race, gender, and sexuality in the party platform, because gently caress you if your class politics ignores identity and vice versa.

It is not actually important to focus on guns

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I obviously don't know poo poo about health insurance. Will these changes cause things to be worse than they were before the ACA or will things just go back to the level of hosed that they were before?

Significantly worse.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I obviously don't know poo poo about health insurance. Will these changes cause things to be worse than they were before the ACA or will they just go back to the level of hosed that they were before?

Worse because of the cross-state-lines race to the bottom.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Mnoba posted:

https://tomprice.house.gov/HR2300

Here is what Price last proposed if you want some light reading

Ah, HSAs. Because the problem was that poor people without insurance weren't saving enough of their vast amounts of wealth.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Most likely way that some form of gun control gets passed is after BLM or muslim groups arm themselves and form militias.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Worse because of the cross-state-lines race to the bottom.

ah good.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

It is not actually important to focus on guns

Well, now that normalcy is out the window and it seems like Civil War 2 is closer than ever, yeah.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Mustached Demon posted:

Hope it's "be white, have marketable job skill" else you're hosed.

Not white or straight, but I have a well-paying job with good benefits lined up in a solid blue state for January, with the option to transfer out of the country in a few years if poo poo gets really bad. My main priorities for the next few years are staying employed and not being murdered by roving packs of Trump supporters.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah conservative figures it at 4 million less people insured at pre Obama levels.

Also continuation of coverage means that hope you enjoy your lovely job because you'll be trapped there

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

foobardog posted:

Ah, HSAs. Because the problem was that poor people without insurance weren't saving enough of their vast amounts of wealth.

Yeah you just have to look at voluntary retirement accounts like 401ks across income levels to see how hosed HSAs are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Cutrent anti-gun campaigns have been pretty pathetic. If you're not arming groups that frighten conservative white people then you're fighting a losing battle.

• Locked thread