Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

"My ship, whom I love like a woman, is disabled." Oh lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MisterBibs posted:

Bit of a crosspost from a Trek-related derail in a thread in PYF:

No idea if it's true or not, but it reminds me about how Florence Henderson went on a date with one of her Brady Bunch sons at some point, and one of the other sons dated one of the daughters on the show, because "We play brother and sister on TV' wasn't enough to kill attraction between coworkers.

I have serious doubts about that being true. That sounds like the kind of thing that would have been bandied around in the old LF star trek thread.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This is godawful. Sounds like the Baywatch Nights or Melrose Place theme. That backing track is just poo

It's definitely lacking in the requisite meedlies, squigglies, and jugga-wuggas.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nebakenezzer posted:

I hear Bashir's into that

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nebakenezzer posted:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I realized listening to The Greatest Generation that I've never seen any of TNG S1 except for Encounter at Farpoint. Is there a recommended list of episodes to get a good feel for that season? While I'd rather not waste time on anything that's just boring or filler, I don't want to exclude episodes just for being bad. If they're interesting while bad, or important to the franchise's history, that seems an important part of the feel of the season too.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lord Hydronium posted:

I realized listening to The Greatest Generation that I've never seen any of TNG S1 except for Encounter at Farpoint. Is there a recommended list of episodes to get a good feel for that season? While I'd rather not waste time on anything that's just boring or filler, I don't want to exclude episodes just for being bad. If they're interesting while bad, or important to the franchise's history, that seems an important part of the feel of the season too.
If you're watching along with The Greatest Generation, just go ahead and watch all of season 1. They poo poo all over the bad episodes, and it's great.

If you're watching just to watch TNG, there are only a few S1 episodes worth watching (Encounter at Farpoint, Datalore, and... hmmm... maybe The Arsenal of Freedom?).

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

WhiteHowler posted:

If you're watching along with The Greatest Generation, just go ahead and watch all of season 1. They poo poo all over the bad episodes, and it's great.

If you're watching just to watch TNG, there are only a few S1 episodes worth watching (Encounter at Farpoint, Datalore, and... hmmm... maybe The Arsenal of Freedom?).
I might just end up doing that anyway, but I was more wondering what a good representative list looked like rather than just worthwhile episodes. Like for Voyager I would include Threshold because it's famously bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Enterprise 3x12 ends with Archer basically saying "gently caress you and gently caress religion."

Glorious.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lord Hydronium posted:

I might just end up doing that anyway, but I was more wondering what a good representative list looked like rather than just worthwhile episodes. Like for Voyager I would include Threshold because it's famously bad.

If you want famously bad episodes, that's code of honor

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, S1 was...not great. "Oh look, we're doing a TOS callback with this touch-intoxication disease thing....and Data is affected, because fluids."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

It's been a while since I've watched my DVDs/commentaries, why did they write out Scotty and replace him with Welshie from that episode, anyway? Did James Doohan (if he was still alive at that point) not give permission for his likeness/character?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The Greatest Generation reviews of season one probably give a good sense of the episodes you would enjoy watching or get a good sample from. The only episode they seemed to enjoy more than I do is "The Arsenal of Freedom" while I enjoy "Hide and Q" more than they do if only for Picard's arrogance.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 29, 2016

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

It's been a while since I've watched my DVDs/commentaries, why did they write out Scotty and replace him with Welshie from that episode, anyway? Did James Doohan (if he was still alive at that point) not give permission for his likeness/character?

Doohan refused to do anything that Shatner was involved in.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Doohan didn't agree.

Production name for the episode was "We got everybody except Scotty"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah they didn't even use his name, just "the actor who played Scotty."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Quark is a lot like Worf. Believes very strongly in his birth culture, more than most of his people if the events of DS9 are indicative of general Ferengi attitudes, and more often than not the butt of the joke.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

King Hong Kong posted:

The Greatest Generation reviews of season one probably give a good sense of the episodes you would enjoy watching or get a good sample from. The only episode they seemed to enjoy more than I do is "The Arsenal of Freedom" while I enjoy "Hide and Q" more than they do if only for Picard's arrogance.

The Greatest Gen guys are actually a lot less harsh on a lot of episodes than people in this thread tend to be. They actually liked quite a few episodes from the first two seasons, even if they didn't love them, whereas the general advice in this thread is to just skip everything except for maybe five or six episodes.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah they didn't even use his name, just "the actor who played Scotty."
"Wasn't there an episode where I threw my shoe at the enemy?"
"You mean Doohan?"
:hfive:

Also thanks for the responses, I guess I'll just keep listening to Greatest Generation and watch what sounds interesting or interestingly bad.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Of the first season, I do think Conspiracy is worth watching, and probably the episodes that tie into it as well, as it pretty much is the only serialized storytelling in the entire series. It also has what is likely the goriest scene in Next Gen.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Oh yeah, I forgot Conspiracy was S1 too. That was an odd one, with a lot of creepy atmosphere.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A trek series with the vibe of that episode would be great. A sort of trek-universe x-files or fringe where some task force is out investigating creepy and scary poo poo within the federation.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Baronjutter posted:

A trek series with the vibe of that episode would be great. A sort of trek-universe x-files or fringe where some task force is out investigating creepy and scary poo poo within the federation.
The Agent Mulder character is the only one who believes aliens don't exist. :tinfoil:

Also I'm sure everyone knows this bit of trivia already, but the two Temporal Investigations agents in Trials and Tribble-ations, Dulmer and Lucsly, are anagrams of Mulder and Scully.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
All of Next Gen Season 1 has a weird, dreamlike tone to it imo that they eventually stabalized into a more average sort of look.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Agent Mulder character is the only one who believes aliens don't exist. :tinfoil:

Also I'm sure everyone knows this bit of trivia already, but the two Temporal Investigations agents in Trials and Tribble-ations, Dulmer and Lucsly, are anagrams of Mulder and Scully.

Ironically, Mulder is a skeptical atheist. This gets played up in the Scully-centric religious/supernatural episodes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Conspiracy is an interesting duck because (at Roddenberry's insistence) it's not a conspiracy. It's an alien invasion, because the notion of humans betraying their fellow humans? gently caress that!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lord Hydronium posted:

That would be a fantastic character. Like a Flat Earth person today, someone who grew up in the Federation on Earth, where we've known about aliens for 300 years, you can see them every day, and he thinks they are all makeup and a government conspiracy. :allears:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MisterBibs posted:

Conspiracy is an interesting duck because (at Roddenberry's insistence) it's not a conspiracy. It's an alien invasion, because the notion of humans betraying their fellow humans? gently caress that!

To be fair, I think it would have been pretty stupid to have the Federation on the verge of a military coup in season one, then just go back to random exploring for the rest of the series.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Angry Salami posted:

To be fair, I think it would have been pretty stupid to have the Federation on the verge of a military coup in season one, then just go back to random exploring for the rest of the series.

Well, this was also the time period they were supposed to be locked in a brutal war with the Cardassians.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WickedHate posted:

Well, this was also the time period they were supposed to be locked in a brutal war with the Cardassians.

Yeah but the Cardassians were a retcon and didn't exist prior to season four.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-discovery-beams-up-three-cast-members

Yeoh confirmed, couple of other cast members as well; Doug Jones and Anthony Rapp.

The latter plays a mycologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5qoWoKpkzM confirmed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The chinese captain having a chinese ship is just too much for me. I was looking forward to this, had a tiny bit of hope, but that one thing is just too stupid and all hope and interest has been lost.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah but the Cardassians were a retcon and didn't exist prior to season four.

I thought we mostly rationalized that by imagining the "war" as a low-intensity conflict along a disputed border that just dragged on for years. Colonies get raided, ships snipe at one another, but no actual set piece battles. The Cardies don't have the power projection to make major gains, and the Federation is busy doodling away with exploration, internal consolidation, and other low-intensity conflicts (wasn't Sisko involved in a Space Gulf War with the Tzekenthi at some point?), so nothing really gets resolved until the Cardies start having larger internal problems and start agreeing to major concessions in the 2360s.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Doug Jones must love being in make-up.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Baronjutter posted:

The chinese captain having a chinese ship is just too much for me. I was looking forward to this, had a tiny bit of hope, but that one thing is just too stupid and all hope and interest has been lost.

Yeah that was a bit overkill, especially since I was expecting her to captain Discovery.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah that was a bit overkill, especially since I was expecting her to captain Discovery.

It's funny that the new ship literally translates to "USS Spaceship".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LinkesAuge posted:

It'd be more realistic if it was Spaceship McSpaceshipface

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

LinkesAuge posted:

Well, it's also the name of China's manned spaceflight program.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just figure she had a choice of commands and went for the ship with the name that meant something to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Pleasantly surprised with the Doug Jones casting. Looking forward to all the lame mushroom jokes from Lt. Fungus.