Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

RIP bunnyofdoom, killed by a tribble with a jaunty chapeau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

grack posted:

RIP bunnyofdoom, killed by a tribble with a jaunty chapeau

Ys this is hooman typing. Bunny wonderful and give all banana to bunny. Do not ask for proof of life. Send banana.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Our rabbit turned out to have a sinus infection so she's on antibiotics. Giving liquid medicine to a rabbit sure is fun. She's been mostly okay with it but this morning she decided to explode into a whirling dervish of claws and now she's sitting across the room staring at us with hate-filled eyes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

RichterIX posted:

Our rabbit turned out to have a sinus infection so she's on antibiotics. Giving liquid medicine to a rabbit sure is fun. She's been mostly okay with it but this morning she decided to explode into a whirling dervish of claws and now she's sitting across the room staring at us with hate-filled eyes.

Welcome to the elite group of rabbit owners. Hatred is hoe you know the medicine is working

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Just in case anyone reads the leper colony, I can confirm harriet is still alive and plottinv

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Hi guys, never posted in this thread before but I'm looking for bun advice.
We adopted a young bunny a couple of weeks ago with the intention of being a house rabbit. We did a lot of research and knew what we were getting into, and over the last few weeks he's really chilled out and become quite affectionate.
The problem that we're having at the moment is that he won't leave the kitchen. He theoretically has access to every room of the house when we're at home, but his cage is in the kitchen and incidentally it's the only room of the house with a carpet. The rest of the rooms have laminate floors, which as I understand is difficult for rabbits to walk on.
My question is basically: will he eventually get comfortable with walking on the laminate, or should we try to encourage him?

Peanut Butter fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 16, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Peanut Butter posted:

We adopted a young bunny a couple of weeks ago with the intention of being a house rabbit. We did a lot of research and knew what we were getting into, and over the last few weeks he's really chilled out and become quite affectionate.
The problem that we're having at the moment is that he won't leave the kitchen. He theoretically has access to every room of the house when we're at home, but his cage is in the kitchen and incidentally it's the only room of the house with a carpet. The rest of the rooms have laminate floor, which as I understand is difficult for rabbits to walk on.
My question is basically: will he eventually get comfortable with walking on the laminate, or should we try to encourage him?

Give your rabbit some time, consider that since food, shelter and attention can all be had in the kitchen, why leave it for the unfamiliar plains of the room next door?

We have hardwood floors and our 2 free roaming rabbits spend 80+% of their time in the 10% of the floor near their litter boxes. They will adventure around the house every so often, maybe once or twice a day, but there are still sections of the house that are open to them they don't enter for months. They have taken to sleeping under our bed (when we let them) or sleeping on the rug by the couches 5 feet from their litter boxes.

Another thing that helps, if it is just the weird surface, are small rugs or other things that can be islands of safe traction in the laminate floor.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Peanut Butter posted:

The problem that we're having at the moment is that he won't leave the kitchen. He theoretically has access to every room of the house when we're at home, but his cage is in the kitchen and incidentally it's the only room of the house with a carpet. The rest of the rooms have laminate floors, which as I understand is difficult for rabbits to walk on.
He's never going to love being off the carpet - our rabbit will go into our kitchen but vastly prefers being in the rest of the apartment, which is carpeted. You can definitely encourage him, just by hanging out with him on the edge of the carpet and the laminate so he doesn't have to go far to get to you. If he sees that you're comfortable on it, it'll help, and if you're right there near what's familiar and comfortable he'll see it's not scary. Also, he'll explore more of his space as he adjusts, especially since he's a younger rabbit.

But like Trabisnikof said, anything you can do to add traction will help. Remember that rabbits don't have paw pads. They do not like to be on slippery surfaces.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It is, however, super funny when they're running around on laminate, take a corner too fast and slide in to a wall.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grack posted:

It is, however, super funny when they're running around on laminate, take a corner too fast and slide in to a wall.
Right? My rabbit used to go tearing across the room, hit the kitchen, and slam into a counter.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

It's even funnier when it happens on carpet because she should have traction and yet my baseboards has a bunny sized dent in it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's even funnier when it happens on carpet because she should have traction and yet my baseboards has a bunny sized dent in it.
Harriet can stop. She just chooses not to.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

That is probably the most accurate description of her attitude I have ever heard

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's called perseverance. One day she'll break through, and then she'll be free.

To KILL.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
We've had our rabbit we got from the humane society for a couple months now, and she seems to have warmed up to us. Is it normal for her to stand completely stock still when she's being petted? She'll come and headbutt me if I'm sitting on the floor, and if I scratch her head she will sit there perfectly still until I stop, no matter what. I would assume she would just bounce away if I was bothering her, but she's so still that I am worried that I am terrifying her.

Hilariously, she will only chew on toys if no one is watching her. We bought her some wicker barbells and she would sniff them and then ignore them. Then when we turn our backs, when we turn back around it's in a million pieces all over the floor.

This is in stark contrast to when the Wii U sensor bar cord worked its way out of its hiding place and she severed it in one bite while making unwavering eye contact with me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RichterIX posted:

We've had our rabbit we got from the humane society for a couple months now, and she seems to have warmed up to us. Is it normal for her to stand completely stock still when she's being petted? She'll come and headbutt me if I'm sitting on the floor, and if I scratch her head she will sit there perfectly still until I stop, no matter what. I would assume she would just bounce away if I was bothering her, but she's so still that I am worried that I am terrifying her.
This is normal. Mine lowers himself to the ground. It's a way of showing trust. If she's poking you with her nose, she wants attention. Listen for tooth grinding/chewing. That's a way rabbits show pleasure while being petted.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Laying down to be petted is happy bunny. If they're really happy they'll tooth purr hard enough that their head kind of vibrates under your hand.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

so what do you say to someone who bleaches a rabbit cage and then leaves the bunny in a tiny pet carrier directly above the offgassing cage with no litter so he stands in his own pee for six hours huffing bleach fumes until you get back home and sort of integer wrap your anger all the way around to being totally dead inside

ps ask me how my visit from my dad this week went spoiler alert it was awful and he is not allowed to go near my rabbit again ever

In all seriousness, is there something I can do to explain to him what he did without just locking him inside a freshly bleached bathroom for six hours and asking him how he feels after? Because I feel strongly like this is going to happen again unless I literally confiscate his key to my place. He has a habit of "being helpful" like this.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

EDIT:^^Holy poo poo. That's a murdering offense right there

Harriet was purring this morning. Also, she got super excited when I was making peameal bacon. So...uh,,Harriet loves Bacon.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Actually Remora, what I would do is open a bottle of bleech, ask him to take a whiff, and the point out he subjeted your bun to that non-stop with no escape for 6 hours, and could have easily killed your bun.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Find something he loves, cover in bleach.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So who else loves hand feeding their bunny leafy greens?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

My rabbit likes to steal things from my hand and run off with them, because he wants me to chase him.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is buying things like hay and litter any cheaper from any online sources than it is at, say, Petco? Are there any brands to avoid?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ours sucks up parsley like spaghetti.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Curled parsley is brilliant when they suck it up stem first, the leafy bit gets to their face and looks like a little green beard

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I am sad harriet doesn't like herbs. She will murder me for spinach and kale tho.

Yes we all know she'll murder me regardless too but still....

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

RichterIX posted:

Is buying things like hay and litter any cheaper from any online sources than it is at, say, Petco? Are there any brands to avoid?

Ours sucks up parsley like spaghetti.

I'm sure there's probably a cheaper hay source out there online, but I use KMS ( https://kmshayloft.com/ ). If you have room for them, the big 45 lb. boxes last a long time and seem to be relatively cheap in comparison to anything storebought, in my case shipping runs about as much as the hay itself, but I still find it worth it. Their quality is also typically really high, much less hay dust per pound than I've seen in the storebought stuff. I live in a semi rural part of the south where I could go buy a small bale of hay much cheaper, but the consistent quality is hard to beat when I'm only buying a couple of boxes in a year's time.

Their bluegrass is basically crack to my bunny, she's loved it since the first time she got it. I do supplement it with a mixture of 2nd Timothy since the bluegrass is really nutrient rich, enough so that it might be tough on any older bunnies, or those with weak digestive systems.

The337th fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 1, 2016

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

Heya fellow bun people. Wanted to show off Wallace (aka Black Thunder) and Trippy (aka Switch). Using my phone so I'll post a couple pics of each. Trippy is a dutch but I have no idea what Wally is I just know he most likely has lionhead in him. Anyone know? Thanks in advance, this is a cool thread :)

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

Trippys nickname is Switch because we originally thought he was a ladybun.
He is more of a rabbit than Wally but he can be just as endearing. My gf has long curly hair and he'll dig at it while "standing" on his back paws. :3

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

Wallace is Wallace. Can't really explain him except that he's really chill most of the time.
He's kindof the favorite but we try our best to love them equally and spend the same amount of time with each of them. Wally likes platforms and will kiss your nose while perched. Super good bun.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

puke pentagram posted:

Wallace is Wallace. Can't really explain him except that he's really chill most of the time.
He's kindof the favorite but we try our best to love them equally and spend the same amount of time with each of them. Wally likes platforms and will kiss your nose while perched. Super good bun.

He's just checking you for flavour

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

grack posted:

He's just checking you for flavour

well he seems to be real sweet about it. maybe my nose is salty

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Those are some adorable rabbits.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If we are posting bunny pictures, this is Lillian:

We got her from the local humane society. She's very chill, although she is very adept at snipping Wii sensor bar cords and sometimes she gets too buck and tries to parkour onto high furniture like the top of the bookshelf.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I wanna snuggling those buns

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
More bunny pictures are required in general, I think.

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

Why thanks Mr Moderator!

RichterIX posted:

We got her from the local humane society. She's very chill, although she is very adept at snipping Wii sensor bar cords and sometimes she gets too buck and tries to parkour onto high furniture like the top of the bookshelf.

It was startling the first time I saw Wally jump over his play fence and onto my bed. Like if he leaped any harder he would have kept going until he busted through the roof and left a Wally shaped hole. Lillian is a beautiful bun!

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

Pre hormones pics :3 gotta get these guys neutered so they can hopefully bond again. They were very close and snuggled a lot.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I have no bunny now, though I had two when I was younger. Really enjoy seeing everyone's bunny pictures. I do get my share of bunny exposure during my neighborhood runs though, as there are around three dozen in the various parks I run through. They generally keep their distance, though I've seen over two dozen in a large group by the dog park of all places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phuzun posted:

I have no bunny now, though I had two when I was younger. Really enjoy seeing everyone's bunny pictures. I do get my share of bunny exposure during my neighborhood runs though, as there are around three dozen in the various parks I run through. They generally keep their distance, though I've seen over two dozen in a large group by the dog park of all places.

Here's the real question; do you ever see dogs at that park anymore since they started ganging up? :unsmigghh: