Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

rabidsquid posted:

you've been blessed by the bad pull bedile. repost this image in five other threads or bedile will visit you during your daily half price pull every day for a month

I'm not sure you understand what 'blessed' means. :v:

Killing Vector posted:

I forgot to do my daily pull until earlier this afternoon. Saw some strange colors as the crystal descended and, holy poo poo, it's a rainbow crystal! My first one ever! Crack it open and out pops...

Off-banner, but not a troll 5*. :unsmith: In fact, Luneth's probably preferable to Gilgamesh since I don't macro TMs.

Given that I also pulled Luneth's BSB in Record Keeper the other day, I think these mobile games want me to play FF3DS. Too bad I haven't heard great things about it.

FF3DS is unironically the worst version of any FF game ever made. The original famicom version is better. Hell, the original famicom version of FF2 is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Scrublord Prime posted:

Head to the left part of town where you got on the boat to the northern sea area.

Thanks. Always in the last place you check.

Evil Fluffy posted:

FF3DS is unironically the worst version of any FF game ever made. The original famicom version is better. Hell, the original famicom version of FF2 is better.

What made it so bad? I tried playing a little, but stopped due to the frequent random encounters (like every 5 steps)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Here's a fun bit in FF3DS: You can only save on the world map. There's no way to save inside of a dungeon except possibly quicksaves that are deleted on load, idr. FF3 has some obscenely long dungeons capped with a boss. Now these bosses got a buff from the NES days and can take multiple actions per turn and have AoE attacks that will wreck your poo poo. FF3DS also has a semi-random turn order: Agility makes it more likely that you'll go first but there's no guarantee. There is nothing stopping bosses from being able to use their party wide attack back to back before you can heal due to the turn order RNG which will either wipe your party or leave you in an unrecoverable state.

Now mix this in with the final dungeon of FF3: The Crystal Tower. Spoilers (the plot in FF3 is garbage and not worth caring about): It's three parts: The Labyrinth of the Ancients, The Crystal Tower itself, and the World of Darkness. There's a world map bit between LotA and CT so you can save but you can't leave to restock without going through LotA again. Now when you climb CT you fight Xande after a long friendship unite cutscene and find the real last boss: Cloud of Darkness. You then go into the WoD, fight four more bosses, open chests containing a copy of the Xande boss you just fought, and even more encounters. Finally you can fight Cloud of Darkness who can immediately use her giant gently caress-off attack back to back on the first two turns without a chance to heal inbetween and basically wipe you.

I may be bitter

The jobs were also rebalanced. The original FF3 had jobs spread across the entire game and most were intended to be straight up upgrades over previous classes. Like Warrior would be entirely replaced by the Knight who'd be replaced by the Ninja. The Ninja and Sage were the endgame classes found in the final dungeon's side-dungeon. In FF3DS they redid it all and tried to make all the classes more level with each other stat-wise which doesn't gel with the game and, when combined with the retuning that made enemies stronger, made the game way harder than the original NES version.

Finally they changed how you change jobs. In the NES version you'd gain Capacity Points when you fight and spend them to change classes. The "farther" a class' role is from your current one the more it costs, offset by the job level I think. In FF3DS they changed it to a stat penalty that you need to fight X number of fights to negate, and it's a pretty hefty penalty. You basically can't change classes on a whim, you need to fight your way out of debt. It's an extra pain in the rear end at best, and worst can cost you precious healing items like phoenix downs which aren't available to buy until the endgame.

gently caress FF3DS.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
The random turn order was in Original FF3 as well. As well in FF1 and FF2.

It was the only reason Call of Duty had any difficulty in Original FF3. Double Turn Flare Wall(or was it Wave? I forget) is lame, she was otherwise just a tank n spank.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I dunno what was up with DS remakes and making the games a lot more difficult than they used to be, because FF4DS (while still being pretty good) can also get pretty nasty.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Dias posted:

I dunno what was up with DS remakes and making the games a lot more difficult than they used to be, because FF4DS (while still being pretty good) can also get pretty nasty.

the games were made for people who had already played the original games so they were made mroe difficult/given gimmicks to change it up. FF4: the after years was made around the same time and some bosses pretty much require you to know how all of ff4's mechanics work to survive even random encounters.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I forget if it was 2 or 3 that had the thing where the accepted method to powerlevelling your dudes' stamina was to run around until you got into a random battle with something trivial, then spend your time completely ignoring the monster and beating your own dudes mostly to death, only to heal them up and start over, because stats and abilities skilled up from use. All while some poor imp gets increasingly traumatized by the display.
Arc: Okay what you're gonna do is drive your sword straight up Refia's left nostril and just jig it around for a while until she goes limp. Then I'll hit her with this feather I found and she'll be fine.
Imp: GUYS
Luneth: this is gonna be dope
Refia: UHHH
Arc: Then I'll blow you apart with fireballs while Refia takes out her frustrations on you with this stick she found in a box somewhere, and then she'll glue you back together and we can start over.
Imp: GUYS I'M OVER HERE
Refia: Ok I like this plan a little better now
Luneth: When do we get to beat you up?
Arc: Mages don't need stamina, silly.
Imp: THIS IS NOT HOW THIS USUALLY GOES DOWN
Arc, Luneth, Refia: *various noises of horrific destruction*
Imp: I NEED AN ADULT

edit to add: also, casting Toad on some poor rando (probably an imp) over and over again to level it up to the point where you could toad the final boss and trivialize the fight.

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 29, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
^^^ Also gently caress that ugly rear end chibi art style.

Finished off Penelo last night, this morning woke up to find that my Miyukis were ready to be combined. My first and only EXP Egg is ready to pop out of Medius. Which will enable me to start grinding ExDeath a lot quicker. That will also mean it's time for 5 of my 9 Ingus to take the TM train and get me started on getting ExDeath 4x Arms and Letters.

With Sakurafubuki done that puts my Lightning at an even 575 attack. I can farm a black cowl for her, and I guess throw Maxwell's TM on her as well but sadly that's the extent of how much more awesome I can make her. I that should get me over 600 attack but man I wish I'd rolled a Ramza, because that Brave Suit is awesome.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PopeCrunch posted:

I forget if it was 2 or 3 that had the thing where the accepted method to powerlevelling your dudes' stamina was to run around until you got into a random battle with something trivial, then spend your time completely ignoring the monster and beating your own dudes mostly to death, only to heal them up and start over, because stats and abilities skilled up from use. All while some poor imp gets increasingly traumatized by the display.
Arc: Okay what you're gonna do is drive your sword straight up Refia's left nostril and just jig it around for a while until she goes limp. Then I'll hit her with this feather I found and she'll be fine.
Imp: GUYS
Luneth: this is gonna be dope
Refia: UHHH
Arc: Then I'll blow you apart with fireballs while Refia takes out her frustrations on you with this stick she found in a box somewhere, and then she'll glue you back together and we can start over.
Imp: GUYS I'M OVER HERE
Refia: Ok I like this plan a little better now
Luneth: When do we get to beat you up?
Arc: Mages don't need stamina, silly.
Imp: THIS IS NOT HOW THIS USUALLY GOES DOWN
Arc, Luneth, Refia: *various noises of horrific destruction*
Imp: I NEED AN ADULT

edit to add: also, casting Toad on some poor rando (probably an imp) over and over again to level it up to the point where you could toad the final boss and trivialize the fight.

It was FF2, but I like the way you think.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Got my third Arse this half pull. Guess I should be farming his TM...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dias posted:

Matrix Software (the guys who are responsible for FF3DS, FF4DS, and the mobile ports of FF5 and FF6) wouldn't know fun if it bit them on the rear end and gave them a business card.

The proof of this is that they're the guys who made Avalon Code. Yeah, those assholes still found work, and that work is ruining the nostalgia of early Final Fantasy.

I'm not bitter

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
What's the current $ spending situation guys? As far as I can tell to minmax whaling you basically want to buy an Amazon Coupon Code with Bitcoins and grab multiple of those 49 bucks Black Friweek sale thingies right?

My plan for now:

Currently getting 30% off Amazon Coupon Codes with Bitcoin. That would put 100 at 70 bucks for 10000 ACoins or 20400 Lapis (2x 4999 Coins). Save all of that for Orlandu obv. Dump another 100 bucks when XMAS Lapis sale arrives with probably even better rates. End up with ~50000 Lapis minmaxed and do 10x11pulls for Orlandu.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
New banner announcement, FFXIII with Snow, Sazh, Vanille. Pretty safe to skip and not whale on.

Unfortunately the event is another "bonus" for those three characters grindable event currency. On the plus side the rewards don't sound terribly amazing and the character specific stuff is just weaker equipment.

Hopefully there's another trust moogle and it won't take days of grinding.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
More Cactus Jacks

Give me all the medal things to feed

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PaybackJack posted:

Unfortunately the event is another "bonus" for those three characters grindable event currency. On the plus side the rewards don't sound terribly amazing and the character specific stuff is just weaker equipment.

Hopefully there's another trust moogle and it won't take days of grinding.

If they don't give that same "bonus" to Lightning there will be riots in the streets.

Either way, as always, priority should be Tickets -> Gigantuars -> Moogles/Materia if affordable -> Quartz -> Awakening mats -> Literally anything else

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
Half price pull, just give me one Exdeath and I'll be happy... a rainbow crystal? Are you making GBS threads me? Ok well here comes 5 star Rydi-OH MY GOD ITS GILGAMESH!! :dance: :derp: :gary:

I'm a bit stoked. Does anyone know with TMs if Gilgamesh is better than Lightning or Luneth?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kronikle posted:

I'm a bit stoked. Does anyone know with TMs if Gilgamesh is better than Lightning or Luneth?

With Dual Wield he's on par with Luneth, I'd say. His appeal is that not only is he perfectly usable, but his TMR is another source of Dual Wield, be it for himself or whoever else you want to use it on.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
It's weird. The news announcement came up and when I clicked on the new banner info, the game gave me a popup telling me I just saved 1500 lapis for a week and gained +10 tickets. How generous.

If all of my Lightning friends don't give me +100% to event currency I'm going to be mighty pissed.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I saw Genji Glove listed as Best TMR in the game, but I feel accessory slots are more precious than materia ones. Am I wrong?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
As far as I'm aware, there are more 30% or better ATK materia than there are 30%/+45 ATK accessories.

Edit: Yea, excluding Exceed Rings, accessories cap at +30 ATK.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 29, 2016

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Brand-new player here, many of you may have gotten my friend requests. I didn't want to go through that stupid reroll poo poo, so after getting nothing from my free rolls, I decided to spend a little money for 2 11-rare rolls and I got... Cloud of Darkness and Bartz. That seems to be lucky.

I assume that'll do for a starter to go along with these absurdly high-level friend creatures I can use.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

AegisP posted:

If all of my Lightning friends don't give me +100% to event currency I'm going to be mighty pissed.

Prepare to be mighty pissed then. Event page states only the units on the banner provide the bonus.

Rigel posted:

Brand-new player here, many of you may have gotten my friend requests. I didn't want to go through that stupid reroll poo poo, so after getting nothing from my free rolls, I decided to spend a little money for 2 11-rare rolls and I got... Cloud of Darkness and Bartz. That seems to be lucky.

I assume that'll do for a starter to go along with these absurdly high-level friend creatures I can use.

Post all your rolls so we can feel sorry for you pulling 7 Bediles.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rigel posted:

Yeah, you should be good for a while. Both CoD and Bartz are solid enough at 5* to get you a foot up into the higher end of content, and both of them become great at 6*. Neither of them is absolute top of the mountain, but both of them are solid and actually work well together, given that Bartz can use all the weapons CoD can't.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Is there a reason to save rare summon tickets? I notice that there are times when specific creatures are higher chance to summon than normal, but ignoring that do you just use tickets when you get them if you aren't chasing a specific summon?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i actually want to play this game and need to collect some of the lapis from completing the achievements in the zones and i still need carbuncle but also i am 2% away from my first dualcast and its driving me loving nuts to not grind it out immediately

also i don't know what to do with my new trust moogle now that i am tm grinding. should i use it to boost one of the things im grinding up. doublehand? blade mastery? take excalibur from 20-30%?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rigel posted:

Is there a reason to save rare summon tickets? I notice that there are times when specific creatures are higher chance to summon than normal, but ignoring that do you just use tickets when you get them if you aren't chasing a specific summon?

"Save them for the really good units in the future" is the typical mantra, with most people saving up to blow their entire load trying to get the holy grail (pun unintended) that is Orlandeau in a few months' time.

If you're not interested in going all-in on whatever units have been deemed "the best" then yeah, spend 'em as you get them, with the caveat that right now, the gacha is weighted so that you'll get more trash than treasure - bad units are more common than good ones of the same base rarity, and gold/rainbow crystals can be awakened units instead of units with that base rarity. Sometime in the future (probably 4-6 months out at this rate), there should hopefully be a change to the Gacha to fix both of these issues.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

i actually want to play this game and need to collect some of the lapis from completing the achievements in the zones and i still need carbuncle but also i am 2% away from my first dualcast and its driving me loving nuts to not grind it out immediately

also i don't know what to do with my new trust moogle now that i am tm grinding. should i use it to boost one of the things im grinding up. doublehand? blade mastery? take excalibur from 20-30%?

What are you farming on a unit that you only have 1 of and aren't planning to merge? Use it on that.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

rabidsquid posted:

Doublehand is only good for Garland, or as a stepping stone to tide you over until Dual Wield. Not worth a moogle.

Excalibur is alright, but worthless in arena. Will be better obviously when Orlandu is out, but not moogle-worthy.

Blade Mastery is one of the strongest not-Dual Wield things to have, especially if you have a Sakura backing it up. Even just a Murasame makes it better than any other weapon.

You could just save the moogle in case you get a Zidane/Gilgamesh, though.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
Decided to burn a few tickets to try and at least get an Exdeath.

Shadow
Gold Crystal... Panelo
Gold Crystal... Bedile
Gold Crystal... Shadow
Cyan

And.. I'm done. gently caress you, Gumi

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Daily half price...Panelo...

I will not be a victim of this bad pull curse.

Summon ticket from cheap black friday bundle:

Bedile.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Okay, time to pull.

Blue crystal again oh boy gimme a crummy unit.

Wait no it's turning gold! Maybe it'll turn rainbow? No..

I can dig it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Inkel posted:

Shadow
Gold Crystal... Panelo
Gold Crystal... Bedile
Gold Crystal... Shadow
Cyan

Daily: Cecil.

Wow some luck, maybe that will go with these tickets I just got from the daily Brack Friday Bunduru.

Bedile
Bedile
Faris

Welp, guess not so much.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Inkel posted:

Shadow
Gold Crystal... Panelo
Gold Crystal... Bedile
Gold Crystal... Shadow
Cyan

Same. Holy poo poo I've gotten 6 gold crystals across today and yesterday, and all of them have been utter garbage.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Is the FF13 the worst banner we've seen yet? I think it might be.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

dangerous.hotdog posted:

it was originally 1 banner with 2 more new characters plus Her Royal Pinkness, who will presumably be on banner next week.

hoping I can get at least one Snow for that stupid, stupid TM.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That Winged Saint armor looks pretty good. No character limitations, it looks like?

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Nope. Orlandu banner will be the worst.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That Winged Saint armor looks pretty good. No character limitations, it looks like?

It...it's a weapon. A fist weapon with armor for the icon. I don't know either.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's Snow's trenchcoat, and he's a punchman so it's either knuckles or clothes, I'm hoping it's clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I always thought LB = Limit Break. Why is it called Limit Burst in FFBE? Did any other FFs call it Limit Burst?

• Locked thread