Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I guess in Zelda games you're Link, who is a known personality that you just happen to control. in pokemon you're just That Trainer until the game canonizes them a few gens later when you refight them so they dont want to ascribe a personality onto your avatar? idk. it looks bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This be fair the player character does have one other expression

:0

I think that one is used twice in the whole game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

I guess in Zelda games you're Link, who is a known personality that you just happen to control. in pokemon you're just That Trainer until the game canonizes them a few gens later when you refight them so they dont want to ascribe a personality onto your avatar? idk. it looks bad though.

The only previous player who's ever shown up again is Red, right?

I think you're right about Gamefreak just wanting to stick with the idea of the protagonist being an avatar and nothing else though. But with the stories getting more involved and characters becoming more expressive and everything, it doesn't quite work out. But i'd say the protagonist is probably one of the least important characters to get right as long as Gamefreak wants to use them as silent avatars, since they're bound to be the least interesting character anyway.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bring in Gold or "Ethan" as he's called now; his endgame was kicking Red's rear end

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Just read Pokémon special if you want emotive player characters imo

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I appreciate Sun/Moon turning Red's silence into an actual personality trait

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ROFL Octopus posted:

Bring in Gold or "Ethan" as he's called now; his endgame was kicking Red's rear end

fuuuck it would've been awesome if at battle tree when challenged by Blue/Red you make your choice... and then Gold comes striding in, has a staredown with Red and then it's a battle royale between the four of you

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
One of my favorite things in this game is getting good nicknames for other people's stuff when I flood wonder trade with Mimikyus and Feebases and stuff. I've gotten some Japanese nicknamed things this way, and since I keep almost everything with a nickname, I wanted to know what they said. Since I don't speak a word of Japanese, I got my friends to help me out, and turns out I got two particularly amazing nicknames: an Alolan Meowth named 'futtocho', which is apparently slang along the lines of 'fatty,' and a Wingull named Peli-san.

Even on the other side of the world, naming your Pokemon dumb poo poo is a tradition, and that warms my heart.

Daeren fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 29, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Just read Pokémon special if you want emotive player characters imo

Now that Gamefreak's started making characters with actual personality it's weird going to Pokemon Special and seeing those same characters with a completely different actual personality.

I don't know if reading Special Sun Moon would be worth things like My Boy Guzma, not being the exact same as he is in game.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I just reminded myself that the Sun Moon arc of Pokémon special and the first chapter came out today

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mazerunner posted:

fuuuck it would've been awesome if at battle tree when challenged by Blue/Red you make your choice... and then Gold comes striding in, has a staredown with Red and then it's a battle royale between the four of you

That would make the Battle Royal fun and cool though, and I'm not sure that fits into the design philosophy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'd rather have actually cool and interesting characters return than any of the players.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

What do the blue/yellow/orange shapes on the Pokemon summary screen mean? Like obviously they correlate somehow with the pokemon's stats, but I'm not sure what exactly they are. EVs?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'd rather have actually cool and interesting characters return than any of the players.

Red was a cool and awesome surprise at the end of G/S, it's just I wish you could fight more past MCs. Hilbert and Hilda imo would be especially cool to fight.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I saw Wooden Hammer for the first time and I laughed heartily.

And then I saw Retaliate. :perfect:

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013

Daeren posted:

One of my favorite things in this game is getting good nicknames for other people's stuff when I flood wonder trade with Mimikyus and Feebases and stuff. I've gotten some Japanese nicknamed things this way, and since I keep almost everything with a nickname, I wanted to know what they said. Since I don't speak a word of Japanese, I got my friends to help me out, and turns out I got two particularly amazing nicknames: an Alolan Meowth named 'futtocho', which is apparently slang along the lines of 'fatty,' and a Wingull named Peli-san.

Even on the other side of the world, naming your Pokemon dumb poo poo is a tradition, and that warms my heart.

I wonder if they knew how clever this is in English. I'm guessing they did. :kimchi:

Also, holy crap is the Ghost Trial Gastly with Hypnosis/Mean Look/Curse/Confuse Ray a son of a bitch. The game really knows how to take the gloves off when it wants to.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The only previous player who's ever shown up again is Red, right?

I think you're right about Gamefreak just wanting to stick with the idea of the protagonist being an avatar and nothing else though. But with the stories getting more involved and characters becoming more expressive and everything, it doesn't quite work out. But i'd say the protagonist is probably one of the least important characters to get right as long as Gamefreak wants to use them as silent avatars, since they're bound to be the least interesting character anyway.

One of my favorite RPGs is Dragon Quest 8. That had a silent protagonist, even more so than Sun and Moon but they sure as poo poo didn't skimp on the expressions. And I never felt like I was playing a plank. Like I get the idea but really there is no excuse for this, hopefully by Eclipse/Stars they fix it.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

vOv posted:

What do the blue/yellow/orange shapes on the Pokemon summary screen mean? Like obviously they correlate somehow with the pokemon's stats, but I'm not sure what exactly they are. EVs?

The first page with just the blue hexagon is the actual stat number. The second page the yellow I think might be the base stat and the secondary color is the EVs. If EVs are maxed it's blue, otherwise it's orange. If a stat's EVs are maxed the word sparkles.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Flopsy posted:

One of my favorite RPGs is Dragon Quest 8. That had a silent protagonist, even more so than Sun and Moon but they sure as poo poo didn't skimp on the expressions. And I never felt like I was playing a plank. Like I get the idea but really there is no excuse for this, hopefully by Eclipse/Stars they fix it.

Dragon Quest 8 was handcrafted piece by piece by God himself so idk if that's a fair comparison

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Flopsy posted:

You're right but although the protagonist of DQ8 is silent he is an actual character. He has things going on and a backstory and important connections to the world.

There's a world of difference between a silent protagonist and the blank slate player avatar Gamefreak seems to want Pokemon's protagonists to be. But like you said, there's still no reason Gamefreak couldn't have made them express actual emotions or at least react to things, even if they don't want them to have a concrete character or anything.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I thought the snap cut between Gladion going :mad:, Hau going :D, and the PC going :downs: after fighting Faba the second time was one of the funniest moments of the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Daeren posted:

I thought the snap cut between Gladion going :mad:, Hau going :D, and the PC going :downs: after fighting Faba the second time was one of the funniest moments of the game.

It's real good.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Daeren posted:

Yeah, that was fantastic. Please tell me someone has a gif of it. :allears:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Daeren posted:

Faba getting owned by Hau pointing out the hole in his plan was amazing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
To be honest I'd rather be the least interesting part of the game and maintain the ability to ascribe your own motives to the player character, rather than the player character becoming defined. The best part of Black And White was that, while the game interpreted my relationship with N as being one of friends, I instead got to think that I was just sick of his poo poo, I got to deny using Reshriam against him and broke his dream over my knees to help him move on with his life. I was "Friends" with him by being the only person around him who was going to smack his hand and tell him he was being a twit, and I only went looking for him in B2W2 so I could make sure he didn't screw anywhere else up.

If they ascribed more personality to the protagonist, then that bit of personal story telling could be lost for a generic friendship with N.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The Battle Tree has super battles!? :gonk: I thought they were starting you out on that level this time, with how rough the trainers are out of the gate. I need a far better team setup if I'm losing to the easy trainers.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I don't think theres any way you can really prep for the Battle Royale. Sometimes they just all turn on you or the thing you want to kill either dies before or after you attack it.

E: to those who still haven't gotten a Destiny Knot from me will get one later today when I have spare time, I still have some friend codes I need to add.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Onmi posted:

To be honest I'd rather be the least interesting part of the game and maintain the ability to ascribe your own motives to the player character, rather than the player character becoming defined. The best part of Black And White was that, while the game interpreted my relationship with N as being one of friends, I instead got to think that I was just sick of his poo poo, I got to deny using Reshriam against him and broke his dream over my knees to help him move on with his life. I was "Friends" with him by being the only person around him who was going to smack his hand and tell him he was being a twit, and I only went looking for him in B2W2 so I could make sure he didn't screw anywhere else up.

If they ascribed more personality to the protagonist, then that bit of personal story telling could be lost for a generic friendship with N.

If we can be free of the derp face then I'll accept that limitation.

Although I have to agree many scenes became unintentionally brilliant comedy, because some heavy poo poo would be going down while my character happily stared into the void and contemplated the music of the universe.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 29, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

e: nm

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
With all these goons talking about randomly encountering shinies around every corner, I'm convinced that it works like relationships: the more desperately you want one, the less likely you are to get it. (Beldum count is approaching 800. :suicide: )

That Old Ganon posted:

I've got a bunch of breeding rejects lying around and would like to know if anyone's interested in them before I WT them all.

1 Timid, Competitive, Dark Pulse Gothita (Beast Ball)

2380-3485-3206
Gwyn
If you're still around, I'm interested in this one! I can offer Beast Ball Beldum, Bagon, Mareanie, Goomy, Minior, Geodude or Trapinch. Not much in terms of actual well-breeded mons, but I have Close Combat Mudbrays or HA Paras if you want too.

FC 3325-3410-1572, IGN tyb

felch me daddy jr. fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 29, 2016

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Flopsy posted:

If we can be free of the derp face then I'll accept that limitation.

Although I have to agree many scenes became unintentionally brilliant comedy, because some heavy poo poo would be going down while my character happily stared into the void and contemplated the music of the universe.

Choose your own facial expression at certain moments in a cutscene

Alignment points in a pokemon game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Raserys posted:

Choose your own facial expression at certain moments in a cutscene

Alignment points in a pokemon game

:perfect:

Let us choose our expression with the D-pad. Let us make every cutscene the best cutscene.

Dwall
Jun 14, 2016

Dr. Fetus posted:

For the people trying to get a Destiny Knot through pickup, just be aware that if they didn't change anything about Pickup or the tables (The 10% Pickup rate after winning a battle, and the 1% chance to get a Destiny Knot on top of that), your chances of getting at least 1 Destiny Knot after any given battle with 5 Pickup Pokemon is a measly 0.049% chance. Having 6 Pokemon with Pickup increases that chance to 0.05822% instead. You might be better off just farming up the BP or just getting someone to give you one instead.

Glad I didn't see this before I went Pickup farming, otherwise I might not have tried. I had five Meowths and it took less than ten minutes. By contrast, it took two loving hours of savescumming berry piles to find my first Crabrawler.

Probability is a messed up thing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Say, how do the global missions work? Do you get a reward just for participating or do you need to reach a certain threshold?

I noticed the info screen said something about 200 Pokémon and I'm not sure if I can be bothered to catch 200 wild Pokémon just for FC :geno:

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I hope fanart's ok because I saw these and thought they were real cute. (All from http://dc9spot.tumblr.com/ )

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
sun moon singles meta is gonna own, almost to the pt where i think gf had singles in mind to some degree when designing new mons. pheramosa and aegi need to go, just about everything else is some degree of dealable at the moment but those two are stupid to the pt where its not even worth considering them when building teams because you have to compensate to such a dumb degree.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
What do people think of Oranguru? Statwise it reminds me of Slowbro, but with not as good typing. Is it solely a doubles-guy cause of instruct? It feels a little too fast for Trick room.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

tbp posted:

sun moon singles meta is gonna own, almost to the pt where i think gf had singles in mind to some degree when designing new mons. pheramosa and aegi need to go, just about everything else is some degree of dealable at the moment but those two are stupid to the pt where its not even worth considering them when building teams because you have to compensate to such a dumb degree.

how soon we forget garchomp's reign

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Emalde posted:

how soon we forget garchomp's reign

garchomps been good but not like ludicrous for ages. its a glue mon, it fits on a lot of teams but it's never something where you roll up to a game like oh noo he has a garchomp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

tbp posted:

garchomps been good but not like ludicrous for ages. its a glue mon, it fits on a lot of teams but it's never something where you roll up to a game like oh noo he has a garchomp

it was, 10 years ago, and history repeats in cycles. there is a always a despot