Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hopefully they let Hickman fix D.C. Or whatever goes on there. I haven't read comics since little after end of Secret War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC is doing just fine.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DC's publishing a lot of my favorite comics this year, so I don't think they need Hickman to come to their rescue.

A Hickman-run imprint would be pretty big for them, creatively at least.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Roth posted:

I'm not all that invested in X-Men to be upset or anything. I honestly don't think either book looks all that interesting.

Edit - Actually, I just realized, had Marvel ever gone this overboard with event comics? Civil War 2 is ending in a month, Minsters Unleashed starts in January, and in the midst of both of those, we've got Death of X leading into Inhumans vs X-Men leading into RessuerXion, and a relaunch that just started.

Not quite as big and not so close to so many relaunches, but there was that time when Bendis' Age of Ultron was stuffed between two major event comics (i wanna say between Infinity and Original Sin?)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Also the Hickman rumor is currently a LOSH, Wanderers and Omega Men in universe imprint like Young Animal.

I thought the likely thing now was a part in the new Wildstorm.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought the likely thing now was a part in the new Wildstorm.

Hickman is a bigger draw than Ellis at this point, it makes sense they'd give him his own thing to do.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Is Infamous Iron Man any good? I'm a huge Doom fan, but I really don't want to pick up another Marvel series unless it's amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's only two issue in, but they've been very good if you like Doom.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's good but not amazing so far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

Is Infamous Iron Man any good? I'm a huge Doom fan, but I really don't want to pick up another Marvel series unless it's amazing.

Two issues in and it's really fun. #2 sold out in a day and a reprint is already coming and the book had a pretty large print run. I expect #3 (the Thing/Doom faceoff) will be quite popular.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

both new iron mans have been good but it's too early to say if that's gonna turn out or not

if the maker doesn't end up an iron doom villain, I will be amazed

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

if the maker doesn't end up an iron doom villain, I will be amazed

This would own. Maker looks like he'll be a part of Ultimates 2 which I'm really looking forward to.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't get how Marc Guggenheim keeps getting high-profile work.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Noooooo they took away Storm's mohawk :gonk: goodnight sweet prince you were too good for this world

I'll certainly give these a shot, though the lineup does seem kinda just "there" right now. "Prestige" seems like a real dumb new name for Rachel, if I'm being honest.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Infamous Iron Man is fun because Doom is very bad at being a hero, but he's genuinely trying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Noooooo they took away Storm's mohawk :gonk: goodnight sweet prince you were too good for this world

It'll be back in a couple of months.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Those X-Men creative teams are the antithesis of making America great again. Marvel's EIC should be thrown in jail.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Why Guggenheim? Also: https://twitter.com/Wheeler/status/803302412287021056 and further to the earlier mention of Jay Edidin's insightful tweets, the two artists being PoCs is one more than the two teams combined.
Bunn could be fine as Uncanny has been solid overall, especially with the more recent issues, but Magneto is so played out for me now (admittedly, with the films too which is unrelated). I also feel like the idea of a 60s-born young woman who has time travelled to now could be a super interesting thing to explore, and I feel like there are so many better creators out there to tell this unique perspective, though it is commendable that Jean will lead at least.
With Crystal, Kitty and Carol, I am starting to get weirded out by women taking prominent leadership roles in Marvel titles and getting the same haircut?
Where they take Kitty and Rachel is gonna be super interesting, though I'm cool either way.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's not going to be interesting because Guggenheim is a bad writer

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Blockhouse posted:

It's not going to be interesting because Guggenheim is a bad writer

Well, yeah, but I'm curious since Claremont has said how he saw them as a romantic couple and I bet Marvel will likely distance themselves from that particular relationship super-obviously (and possibly interestingly, which I don't necessarily mean positively), but they might surprise us. However, I should note that even if they're just friends then hey, female friendships are still very welcome. Especially well-written ones.

Bleh, there are so many writers I would rather see on this book. Also, OML is a curious choice to be on yet another X-Team (I guess they're going for a twist on the Kitty/Logan mentor/mentee roles?), but if Wolverine isn't on at least one team book in addition to her solo book I'm gonna be pissed, but this probably works out in my favour unless they really gently caress up the creative teams.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's interesting how our thoughts on ethnicity have changed since the creation of the X-men. When most of those characters first got together, the idea of a German, Russian, Canadian, Jewish-American and waspy time-traveler hanging out would've been progressive and diverse for the time.

In modern times though, where we're more used to multi-national groups, and the various cultures these people represent having become somewhat homogenized into "Western" culture, the fact that the teams are mostly of the same skin color does feel un-diverse, especially when one of the teams is just pretty much white East Coast American.

Metalshark posted:

Well, yeah, but I'm curious since Claremont has said how he saw them as a romantic couple and I bet Marvel will likely distance themselves from that particular relationship super-obviously (and possibly interestingly, which I don't necessarily mean positively), but they might surprise us. However, I should note that even if they're just friends then hey, female friendships are still very welcome. Especially well-written ones.

Bleh, there are so many writers I would rather see on this book. Also, OML is a curious choice to be on yet another X-Team (I guess they're going for a twist on the Kitty/Logan mentor/mentee roles?), but if Wolverine isn't on at least one team book in addition to her solo book I'm gonna be pissed, but this probably works out in my favour unless they really gently caress up the creative teams.

I think possibly because of the age/naivete level I was when I read Excalibur, I may have missed the Rachel/Kitty subtext (although Kitty/Illyana was obvious even to me). Still, it would be pretty interesting area to be explored in Serious Marvel and it would be a relationship with a lot of dramatic elements it might be fun to see them try to deal with.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think anything Marvel has done recently indicates that they'd shy away from including any more LGBQT characters. Especially something that has been sub-textual for such a long time.

Though I'd hope that if they admit Kitty is Bisexual, people don't go "Oh that's why she has a butch haircut now".

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
So is there never going to be cool mashup teams like from the 90s or the Supernovas story arc ever again, because this just feels like the same two boring teams we've seen in books for awhile. For once, I'd like an X-Men book bringing in really weird characters like Mike Carey did.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

Don't worry. It will be back.

It's actually the inspiration for the song "Karma Chameleon."

Yes I know I have been soundly beaten but nobody made that joke about it yet to my knowledge.

big juicy nectarine posted:

So is there never going to be cool mashup teams like from the 90s or the Supernovas story arc ever again, because this just feels like the same two boring teams we've seen in books for awhile. For once, I'd like an X-Men book bringing in really weird characters like Mike Carey did.

I unironically liked Maggott.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe the teams are made up of classic X-men because they want to show that they are rebooting X-men, no more near extinction, no more rogue microstate, no more hiding, but back to how it was in the golden age of the late 70s and 80s.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No, now they are going even more extincter.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe the teams are made up of classic X-men because they want to show that they are rebooting X-men, no more near extinction, no more rogue microstate, no more hiding, but back to how it was in the golden age of the late 70s and 80s.

Yeah but they forgot the part where they should get good writers

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The X-Men golden age didn't have many good ones either.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There was just Claremont and...ooh.

Apparently Rachael is calling herself Prestige in this, in an attempt to escape being a Summers.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/55531/resurrxion-files-x-men-gold/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

New adventure for Newspaper Spidey

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just remembered that Clone Conspiracy is a thing that's happening, so that's six major event comics and a relaunch within a pretty close period of time.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I like the team in X-Men Gold but those creative teams are kind of terrible (well, the writers anyway), and I just have no interest in the time displaced X-Men.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

There was just Claremont and...ooh.

Apparently Rachael is calling herself Prestige in this, in an attempt to escape being a Summers.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/55531/resurrxion-files-x-men-gold/

Why? It's not like Scott actually did anything that terrible (according to death of X).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Yvonmukluk posted:

Why? It's not like Scott actually did anything that terrible (according to death of X).

Yes but everyone still has to act like he did.

Probably can expect more of the same in Champions 3 which has teen Cyclops hanging out with the group.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rachael has had her own beef with Scott since Jean died (actually died, I mean).

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
How to argue about comics in 2016:

Part A: You need a racially diverse cast of characters!
Part B: You can't write about characters who are from a different ethnic background than you!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Maxwell Adams posted:

Part B: You can't write about characters who are from a different ethnic background than you!

Who said that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Who said that?

Twitter.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Maxwell Adams posted:

How to argue about comics in 2016:

Part A: Build a strawman