Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Endless Mike posted:

Really dumb.

Why? I know nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Endless Mike posted:

Really dumb.

Kinda what I figured. Think I'll just go with a 2.1 setup then, since my apartment is pretty small and the TV room is only about 14'x12'.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Why? I know nothing.

The vast majority of sound, even in a 5.1 mix, comes out of the front and center speakers. Using floor-standing speakers where they're barely used is a waste of money and space.

I mean "real dumb" was probably an exaggeration, but there's not really a good reason to do it, and if space is your factor, just get two sets of the bookshelf ones. Or just don't bother at all.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

goodness posted:

So I'm looking at about $270+ a subwoofer?

As tempting as that is I think I can stick with a soundbar for my small aparment. Any thread recommendations for up to $150?

the Samsung sound bar for 2015 is like 80 bucks which is a steal (ordinarily ~140). For ridiculous/convoluted reasons unrelated to their value as a product, I have two of them in my home, they sound great and the subwoofer connects to the soundbar wirelessly.

I'm also told the Vizio soundbar is very competitive in that price segment, but as far as soundbars go, my cup runneth over so I'm not really exploring the market.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

frest posted:

the Samsung sound bar for 2015 is like 80 bucks which is a steal (ordinarily ~140). For ridiculous/convoluted reasons unrelated to their value as a product, I have two of them in my home, they sound great and the subwoofer connects to the soundbar wirelessly.

I'm also told the Vizio soundbar is very competitive in that price segment, but as far as soundbars go, my cup runneth over so I'm not really exploring the market.

Just got one! Hard to pass up that deal and it has great reviews. Thanks!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

frest posted:

Samsung HW-J355 2.1 Channel 120 Watt Wireless Audio Soundbar (2015 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TKPAW9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FvqnybAN923V2

This?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Fuzz posted:

Samsung HW-J355 2.1 Channel 120 Watt Wireless Audio Soundbar (2015 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TKPAW9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FvqnybAN923V2

This?

That is the one I got

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

goodness posted:

That is the one I got

How's it sound? I'm thinking this with an opti out is my best and cheapest bet for my tiny room.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Fuzz posted:

How's it sound? I'm thinking this with an opti out is my best and cheapest bet for my tiny room.

Just ordered it but it will be here Friday, I'll let you know. Mine will be optical out to a Vizio smart tv.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hopefully frest can chime in if that's the one. Looks it, but just want to be sure before pulling the trigger.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

They're perfectly adequate if the main use is sitting under a television. If you have a very recent model of Samsung television, there is the option for wireless connectivity. My televisions don't have that option, so I have one connected via hdmi, and a different one connected via optical. They sound identical. If they broke I would try to replace them with a similar product in that price range, I don't think I could tolerate going back to stock TV speakers.

For a ~42 inch TV it's basically perfect. The sub gives you some real depth and it beats the hell out of the television speakers. If you're living in an apartment, or the price tag on a 5.1 setup is too dear, I'd recommend a soundbar for sure (and 80 bucks for a premium brand like Samsung is hard to beat). You can use bluetooth to play audio off a smartphone or computer if you're so inclined, it does have that option, but for my purposes they just sit underneath various TVs and make them not sound like poo poo.

When I was planning out my house, I have a den with an actual 5.1 set up for watching movies or audio, and I didn't really plan around other television audio at all. My in-laws need televisions every 15 feet or they start spewing right-wing politics at me, so I wall-mounted a television in the living room as a compromise. That TV audio sounds like garbage reflecting off the wall, and rather than have crappy, flat/tinny TV audio at a high volume I let them gift me the sound bar last year during this time of year and honestly it's a really good level of audio for an all-in-one solution.

TL;DR if you are watching football or something on the bare television speakers just buy the drat thing before it sells out or the sale ends
code:
List Price: 	$179.99
Price: 	$82.99 
You Save: 	$97.00 (54%)

Amazon Price History
Type 	        Price 	        When
Current 	$82.99 	        Nov 20, 2016
Highest * 	$179.99 	Mar 12, 2015
Lowest * 	$82.99 	        Nov 20, 2016

frest fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 23, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

frest posted:

They're perfectly adequate if the main use is sitting under a television. If you have a very recent model of Samsung television, there is the option for wireless connectivity. My televisions don't have that option, so I have one connected via hdmi, and a different one connected via optical. They sound identical. If they broke I would try to replace them with a similar product in that price range, I don't think I could tolerate going back to stock TV speakers.

For a ~42 inch TV it's basically perfect. The sub gives you some real depth and it beats the hell out of the television speakers. If you're living in an apartment, or the price tag on a 5.1 setup is too dear, I'd recommend a soundbar for sure (and 80 bucks for a premium brand like Samsung is hard to beat). You can use bluetooth to play audio off a smartphone or computer if you're so inclined, it does have that option, but for my purposes they just sit underneath various TVs and make them not sound like poo poo.

When I was planning out my house, I have a den with an actual 5.1 set up for watching movies or audio, and I didn't really plan around other television audio at all. My in-laws need televisions every 15 feet or they start spewing right-wing politics at me, so I wall-mounted a television in the living room as a compromise. That TV audio sounds like garbage reflecting off the wall, and rather than have crappy, flat/tinny TV audio at a high volume I let them gift me the sound bar last year during this time of year and honestly it's a really good level of audio for an all-in-one solution.

TL;DR if you are watching football or something on the bare television speakers just buy the drat thing before it sells out or the sale ends
code:
List Price: 	$179.99
Price: 	$82.99 
You Save: 	$97.00 (54%)

Amazon Price History
Type 	        Price 	        When
Current 	$82.99 	        Nov 20, 2016
Highest * 	$179.99 	Mar 12, 2015
Lowest * 	$82.99 	        Nov 20, 2016

Sweet, thanks for the info, just ordered one. I should be able to easily use it with the Optical out, and I think this will be a good solution since all the TV is used for is my girlfriend watching TV (she barely cares about sound or plugs earphones into the Roku remote) or me playing PS4 games (most of which I don't really care that much about having 5.1)

Thanks!

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Sweet, thanks for the info, just ordered one. I should be able to easily use it with the Optical out, and I think this will be a good solution since all the TV is used for is my girlfriend watching TV (she barely cares about sound or plugs earphones into the Roku remote) or me playing PS4 games (most of which I don't really care that much about having 5.1)

Thanks!

If you use HDMI the TV ARC will automatically turn the soundbar on for you and control the volume on it with the TV remote. If you go optical cable you just have to use the soundbar remote instead. Otherwise, experience-wise they are identical.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

frest posted:

If you use HDMI the TV ARC will automatically turn the soundbar on for you and control the volume on it with the TV remote. If you go optical cable you just have to use the soundbar remote instead. Otherwise, experience-wise they are identical.

Yeah, but then I need sound system since the PS4 and Roku are plugged into the TV, and literally all of the audio we care about is via them. It's a firt-gen LED Samsung so it doesn't even have an HDMI out for sound.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is there a go to set of 5.1 speakers that are lightweight (5lbish)? I have speaker mounts from outlet boxes the builder prewired. The speakers I have are some old sonys that came from a kit. My receiver now is a Pioneer VSX-523.

Like these:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can anyone tell me which multi-room, Bluetooth capable audio systems are available ?

Needs to support iPhone and android, be able to sync with other rooms to avoid an echo, and bonus points if I can expand with a subwoofer.

Those JBL light bulbs with built in speakers would be perfect except my entire house is LED light fixtures and don't have standard bulb receptacles.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You can link multiple chromecast audios together, but you need amp and speakers to go with them.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I have an apartment and a girlfriend who hates wires so I got rid of my Onkyo receiver and am looking at soundbars. I'd like something that supports AirPlay and has multiple HDMI inputs so I can plug multiple things into it. I like the look of the Yamaha YSP-2700 cause it ticks all of these boxes but is there any obvious pick I'm missing around this price range of $1500 or so? I like having a wireless subwoofer too.

Edit: I just noticed that the step up from this model, the YSP-5600 has all of this and also Dolby Atmos and DTS X, I like the idea of being future proof for that kind of stuff. It's also on sale for $100 off, is this thing any good? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016B44AP4?ref=emc_b_5_t

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Jesus Christ that thing is loving gigantic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Yamaha YSP soundbars are supposed to be really drat good. Still kinda expensive for what you get compared to a "proper" sound system, but in a significantly more convenient form factor.

If you want to use the virtual surround stuff, you have to have side walls that aren't too far away. You can't have one side completely open, for instance. The clever virtual surround stuff needs a surface to bounce the sound off.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

LmaoTheKid posted:

Jesus Christ that thing is loving gigantic.

Yeah. I just noticed that. A lot of reviews are saying you need to mount it because it is so massive that vibrations can knock it over. I also have to buy the sub woofer and wireless kit separately so that's another $500, I think I might go with something else.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Unless you're gonna wife her up, I'd go back to a bookshelf/receiver setup and just get some nice stands that hide the wires.

2 grand can get you a pretty good setup. Eff a soundbar.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Biodome posted:

Yeah. I just noticed that. A lot of reviews are saying you need to mount it because it is so massive that vibrations can knock it over. I also have to buy the sub woofer and wireless kit separately so that's another $500, I think I might go with something else.

Yeah that honestly seems like a complete waste of money for a sound bar. Why not just grab one of the Samsung ones for a fraction o the cost? If the wires are the big issue and you want something compact, why not just get that $85 Samsung bar with the wireless sub and then get an HDMI splitter to handle your other needs of having everything patch in? Would be a fraction of the cost, eliminate the wires so your GF is happy, and then you can spend the $1200 you saved to put towards a massive TV or your rent or some fancy jewelry to give her for Xmas/Holidays or whatever.

Hell build yourself a swanky new HTPC or get a new cellphone or something. That's a shitload of money.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

LmaoTheKid posted:

Unless you're gonna wife her up, I'd go back to a bookshelf/receiver setup and just get some nice stands that hide the wires.

Fuzz posted:

Yeah that honestly seems like a complete waste of money for a sound bar. Why not just grab one of the Samsung ones for a fraction o the cost? If the wires are the big issue and you want something compact, why not just get that $85 Samsung bar with the wireless sub and then get an HDMI splitter to handle your other needs of having everything patch in? Would be a fraction of the cost, eliminate the wires so your GF is happy, and then you can spend the $1200 you saved to put towards a massive TV or your rent or some fancy jewelry to give her for Xmas/Holidays or whatever.

Hell build yourself a swanky new HTPC or get a new cellphone or something. That's a shitload of money.

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna get a smaller one, that massive one is insane. Thanks for the help, y'all.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

As an update to the Polk post i made earlier RE: newegg/amazon

I ended up getting these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290269

code:
$129.99
Sale Ends in 2 Days (Sat)
Save: $270.00 (68%)
for front L/R

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I received a set of Bose 301 Series III bookshelf stereo speakers for free. My plan was to hook them up to an old Onkyo receiver I had already and a chromecast audio, put them on top of kitchen cabinets and have a nice central house-filling music listening sytem.

Well, it turns out that with the crown molding on our cabinet uppers the speakers just don't fit. I can lie them on their back and barely fit them between the ceiling and the molding and once I get past the molding I gain a couple more inches of height, but there's just not enough space to rotate them back into position so the speaker isn't firing directly into the ceiling (or top of the cabinet). So, I guess I'm going to use them as speakers for my PC if I can figure out a way to rearrange my office to get the space.

ANYWAY...this experiment got me really wanting to do this project, and on top of the kitchen cabinets is the only place that passes WAF.

The distance between molding and ceiling is 9 3/4". The area we've got is 58"x24". Self-powered or I need a recommendation for an amp that will fit in the same area. Needs input for Chromecast. The Bose speakers were good at filling the main open areas of our house with (to our non-audiophile ears) good sound...that's maybe 1200 sqft of kitchen/dining/living/hallways with 8' ceilings...so something as equally capable is what we're looking for. We're not the type to sit down and listen to music. This will be just for listening to while working around the house or having guests or whatever.

I don't really want to spend a bunch of money, but I also have no idea what price range the equipment I'm asking for here costs...if it helps lets just say max $300. Just tell me if that's ludicrously high or low.

What's some good speakers that will fit on top of our cabinets?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

JBL LSR305 should fit fine sideways, they're only 7.28" wide according to JBL. They're active speakers, so the amps are built in, you basically just need power and a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2x 6.3mm mono jack cable* to hook up a Chromecast Audio.

* Or a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2x male XLR cable, but that's probably more expensive and harder to find.

A pair of LSR305s is $250 on Amazon right now, with a bit of luck they could be had for $160 or so on Black Friday, so I'm sure there'll be good price on Cyber Monday or during the Christmas sales.

Really darn good speakers, even if you're going to be using them in a slightly different manner from how they were designed. If you don't want to go with the JBLs for whichever reason, there are plenty of similar active speakers available around the same price point or a bit cheaper.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I received a set of Bose 301 Series III bookshelf stereo speakers for free. My plan was to hook them up to an old Onkyo receiver I had already and a chromecast audio, put them on top of kitchen cabinets and have a nice central house-filling music listening sytem.

Well, it turns out that with the crown molding on our cabinet uppers the speakers just don't fit. I can lie them on their back and barely fit them between the ceiling and the molding and once I get past the molding I gain a couple more inches of height, but there's just not enough space to rotate them back into position so the speaker isn't firing directly into the ceiling (or top of the cabinet). So, I guess I'm going to use them as speakers for my PC if I can figure out a way to rearrange my office to get the space.

ANYWAY...this experiment got me really wanting to do this project, and on top of the kitchen cabinets is the only place that passes WAF.

The distance between molding and ceiling is 9 3/4". The area we've got is 58"x24". Self-powered or I need a recommendation for an amp that will fit in the same area. Needs input for Chromecast. The Bose speakers were good at filling the main open areas of our house with (to our non-audiophile ears) good sound...that's maybe 1200 sqft of kitchen/dining/living/hallways with 8' ceilings...so something as equally capable is what we're looking for. We're not the type to sit down and listen to music. This will be just for listening to while working around the house or having guests or whatever.

I don't really want to spend a bunch of money, but I also have no idea what price range the equipment I'm asking for here costs...if it helps lets just say max $300. Just tell me if that's ludicrously high or low.

What's some good speakers that will fit on top of our cabinets?

To be honest, your criteria, (limited space, non-audiophile, WAF), in ceiling speakers might make the most sense. They'll have the cleanest look and if you get decent ones won't have much if any drop off from bookshelf speakers.

There is the added hassle of installation but if you have attic above that's easily accessible it really is very easy.

You can pickup a pair of Speakercraft AIM7 brand new on Ebay for $200. With your receiver you already have, they will sound good.

Some food for thought.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 26, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Scrapez posted:

To be honest, your criteria, (limited space, non-audiophile, WAF), in ceiling speakers might make the most sense. They'll have the cleanest look and if you get decent ones won't have much if any drop off from bookshelf speakers.

There is the added hassle of installation but if you have attic above that's easily accessible it really is very ready.

You can pickup a pair of Speakercraft AIM7 brand new on Ebay for $200.

Some food for thought.

Unfortunately this is the first floor of a 2 story house so no above-ceiling access. Don't think I want to go through the trouble of fishing the wires.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LmaoTheKid posted:

I was thinking wireless rears as let's be honest, that's where the cable runs can get dumb.

Wireless rears, buy a newer receiver which will let you do all the other poo poo you want and spend some time with some zip ties and/or cable sock to tidy everything up. I don't quite understand spending that sort of money to go backwards in quality and performance.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Thinking of picking up some speakers and a receiver for watching movies in the Cyber Monday deals. I might listen to music through it sometimes but it's not a big deal, I much prefer my headphones for that sort of thing.

I'd love a 5.1 setup but it wouldn't be possible to set it up in my current room but if I move out I'd like the option of upgrading to it so I'm going with a 5.1 receiver. I've picked out a set of floorstanders because there is no space to put them on the cabinet the TV is on, and a receiver. I figured I'll add a subwoofer or centre channel for a 3.1 setup in the future if I feel I need them.

It'll be connected to my RPi2 and whatever 4k supporting HDMI device in the future to replace it. Just had a couple of questions about the stuff I've picked out and wanted to make sure they aren't poo poo:

Receiver: Yamaha RXV381

Floorstanders: Mission MX3i

I picked this receiver because it can do 4k and HDR, which I should hopefully be upgrading my TV to in the next year or so when HEVC is good/AV1 becomes a thing.
The receiver is only rated at 70w per channel on this website but 100w on others. Either way, the speakers are rated at 150w... Will this be a problem? I'm unlikely to be pushing them super loud, they would only be at the end of my bed next to my TV.
The receiver is only 6ohms where the speakers are 8ohms also, is this a poor pairing?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

For power ratings in general, don't worry about it.

Unless you're trying to push cinema or concert sound levels in a living room or something bigger, you're going to be using significantly less power than you might think. I have a vintage amp with power meters on it, and if I push just 10W to my bookshelf speakers, it's already drat loud.

The power rating on speakers is just the maximum power the speakers will handle without being in danger of blowing up, and it's a very approximate figure. You're not going to blow up a set of "50W" speakers by connecting them to a 1000W amp, only if you actually try pushing that much power to them, and they'll sound like utter poo poo long before any real damage occurs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

JBL LSR305 should fit fine sideways, they're only 7.28" wide according to JBL. They're active speakers, so the amps are built in, you basically just need power and a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2x 6.3mm mono jack cable* to hook up a Chromecast Audio.

* Or a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2x male XLR cable, but that's probably more expensive and harder to find.

A pair of LSR305s is $250 on Amazon right now, with a bit of luck they could be had for $160 or so on Black Friday, so I'm sure there'll be good price on Cyber Monday or during the Christmas sales.

Really darn good speakers, even if you're going to be using them in a slightly different manner from how they were designed. If you don't want to go with the JBLs for whichever reason, there are plenty of similar active speakers available around the same price point or a bit cheaper.

So, as I mentioned, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but...

My impression has always been that studio monitors were meant for near-field listening whereas what I'm looking for is house-filling sound like I get out of those Bose speakers.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Any recommendations on a center speaker?

Is the Polk T30 any good or meh?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thermopyle posted:

So, as I mentioned, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but...

My impression has always been that studio monitors were meant for near-field listening whereas what I'm looking for is house-filling sound like I get out of those Bose speakers.

A studio monitor is really just a bookshelf speaker, usually made to a higher standard in regards to sound quality, and often with the amplifier built in.

Smaller speakers are generally better for near field listening, as they have the speaker drivers closer together, which gives a more even sound distribution close up. But they're perfectly fine for listening at "normal" distances, too.

A lot of people (me included) use studio monitors as hi-fi speakers, and are perfectly satisfied with them.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

Any recommendations on a center speaker?

Is the Polk T30 any good or meh?

The Polk stuff is very good for the price. The rabbit-hole of speaker quality is deep, but the entry-level Polk stuff (especially at the absurd discounts from this week) will serve you just fine.

It's big though, so be mindful of where you're going to put it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

frest posted:

It's big though, so be mindful of where you're going to put it.

I'm having a problem getting my center speaker close enough to my TV that it doesn't sound like the audio and dialogue in particular is coming from far below the TV. I can't even figure out where to start with solving this issue, but it's bothering the crap out of me now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm having a problem getting my center speaker close enough to my TV that it doesn't sound like the audio and dialogue in particular is coming from far below the TV. I can't even figure out where to start with solving this issue, but it's bothering the crap out of me now.

There isn't really an perfect solution, since the center speaker would ideally be in the middle of the TV. I think mounting the center above the TV sounds better (in my room etc), but below can be good too. You are right that you want to get the center close to the TV.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I was toying with the idea of putting two in wall center speakers, above and below the TV. My left and right speakers are also lower than the center of the TV so everything sounds like it's coming from below the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi. Could you please recommend a soundbar + subwoofer? I was thinking about Samsung HW-J7500R for $599.
Thank you.