Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I always thought LB = Limit Break. Why is it called Limit Burst in FFBE? Did any other FFs call it Limit Burst?

I think it was Burst in Brave Frontier, so it's a nod to the previous game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tengames posted:

the games were made for people who had already played the original games so they were made mroe difficult/given gimmicks to change it up. FF4: the after years was made around the same time and some bosses pretty much require you to know how all of ff4's mechanics work to survive even random encounters.

FF4DS was not only badly balanced in general (anyone who thinks random encounters being a bigger threat than bosses is too stupid to be allowed to be a game designer) but also had some design that looked to be very clearly made with the belief that the player would have and use certain augments certain ways. I can't imagine how unfun the game would be without having Draw Attacks on Cecil, considering how easily a lot of enemies could outright kill Rydia and Rosa from full HP as if you were playing group content in an MMO. You also had Rydia's custom summon that was largely worthless unless you maxxed its stats and set it up in specific ways, at which point it was maybe worth using sometimes but not really.

The short answer though, is that Matrix Software are a bunch of hacks who SE use for remakes because they're as cheap as you'd expect.

PopeCrunch posted:

I forget if it was 2 or 3 that had the thing where the accepted method to powerlevelling your dudes' stamina was to run around until you got into a random battle with something trivial, then spend your time completely ignoring the monster and beating your own dudes mostly to death, only to heal them up and start over, because stats and abilities skilled up from use. All while some poor imp gets :words:
edit to add: also, casting Toad on some poor rando (probably an imp) over and over again to level it up to the point where you could toad the final boss and trivialize the fight.

In the NES version, there was also a bug where entering a command and then canceling it still gave you credit for the move, so you could have all but the last person in your party enter the same command a dozen or so times, canceling after each input, then end the fight and gain entire levels in those abilities from a single turn. This means getting stuff like level 16 Unarmed or Toad in 16 fights total. That got fixed in every version after AFAIK. Definitely got fixed in the iOS version.

PaybackJack posted:

New banner announcement, FFXIII with Snow, Sazh, Vanille. Pretty safe to skip and not whale on.

Unfortunately the event is another "bonus" for those three characters grindable event currency. On the plus side the rewards don't sound terribly amazing and the character specific stuff is just weaker equipment.

Hopefully there's another trust moogle and it won't take days of grinding.

Snow's TMR, paired with a Kaiser Knuckle, is really drat nice. Firion gets +30% atk when using a knuckle as well once we get his 6* form and that should stack with Snow's TMR.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I always thought LB = Limit Break. Why is it called Limit Burst in FFBE? Did any other FFs call it Limit Burst?

Gumi calls their special moves 'Bursts' in Brave Frontier and wanted to be consistent is the most likely answer.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Ugh, I'm not liking this new trend of needing new characters, most base 4*+, to make events a not-tedious grind. If there's Metal God Kings again then I'm going to take a break because gently caress that.

I can't get an Exdeath at all, this week has been 2x Anzelm, Luna, 2x Faris, and a Maria. Guess I'll just blow my karma-cactuars on Faris then.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
The new event looks more or less exactly like the previous one, mechanically speaking.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
They're explorations though so I guess that's a thing.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

McSpankWich posted:

They're explorations though so I guess that's a thing.

So, it's like the last one, but even loving worse

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Blue... Faris. Time to burn a ticket. Gold.... Faris. I guess that'll save me from having to awaken her once.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

So what's the deal with limit break burst XP? I can't seem to find an explanation on the wiki, and my dudes seem to have varying levels of it, and doing fuckloads of LBs doesn't seem to make it go up.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Limit Break level/exp is based on the current ranking of the character. At 3* it's something like 500 exp to get it to level 2, at 5* it's 1500 to level 2. You gain +1 limit break EXP for each use. Yeah, it takes loving ages to increase the level by one. The level scales its effect, most LB's do damage so it makes it do more damage but buff LBs like Cecil's will increase the amount they buff for example. Exdeath's has a chance to cause bad status and the chance of that increases with limit break level. The max level you can get a LB up to is also dependent on the rank of the character. For example at 3* it's 10 and 5* it's 20 or 25?

There are limit burst posts that you can feed characters to get +100 or so limit burst EXP.

It's dumb and don't grind for it unless you really want to min/max (and have a macro to do so). I've been playing since about launch and I only have one character close to hitting their lv2 limit break through normal play, barring Cecil who I got at 3*s and fed a bunch of limit burst pots to.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Ahahahah holy christ that is bonkers bullshit. Not bothering with THAT crap.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Unless it's actually needed for content, it's not really worth the time to focus LB grinding, for me anyway. Just wait for the labyrinth to be released.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've drawn 2 Gold ExDeaths in the last few days, but leveling them is loving horrendous. I also have a 6* Bartz that is stuck around level 54.

If they don't give us a better way to level soon it'll probably be the end for me. Every week they release a brand new unit and I can't even level up my prior ones before I pull one of them.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I leveled up THREE loving Exdeaths from Friday-Sunday doing absolutely nothing but breathing and running Mystic Woods. My neck and wrists are still sore. Absolutely godawful slog and I only managed to get them all up to 6* level 80 to get Dual Cast and said gently caress it, good enough.

Working on my 4th now. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
How do you people not value your free time? Just run the ADV xp vortex and spend those other hours doing something else with your life instead of ensuring you burn out as fast as humanly possible.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Lineage 2 has made me immune to burn out.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The secret of Mogcakes is it was diabolical training of the userbase

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm grinding ADV with Bartz and Exdeath. I don't have the patience for explorations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

How do you people not value your free time? Just run the ADV xp vortex and spend those other hours doing something else with your life instead of ensuring you burn out as fast as humanly possible.

This, but also remember that you can do okay without the best of the best of the best units and other things your OCD completion may whisper seductively in your ear.

Yes, big number goes up, I know, I know.

:glomp:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I would hope anyone grinding explorations would be using macros to do it. Seriously use macros/switch controls

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

there are actually macros for running the explorations

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I just swipe back and forth in Miranda Coast while reading/watching poo poo on my computer, since there's a good long straight path. Assuming I have the patience for Miranda Coast on that particular day and don't just bother with XP Vortex for the day.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy
I've been grinding hella hard because I haven't been able to complete the last level of any of the events going on. My party right now is a Vaan, Refia, Chizuru, BC Lid and Arc. All of them are max. I just recently got 2 Exdeath's, Buttz and a Cecil to someday farm up. I'm tired of missing out on the trust moogles and other event rewards because my party can't do it.

The best way for me is run the Miranda Coast macro, and just check in on it every few minutes. I can only do it with a few of the Luneths or Lightnings on my list, and I have to check in and stop the macro to heal them occasionally especially if they get poisoned. But it's really nice since I can go play Rocket League or whatever and just check in, pause it and go to the next zone and let it run again until I have maximum Gil then kill the boss.

Supposedly it will go to the next zone and kill the boss I think, but I always do that manually as it seems to keep staying in one area way after I've reached the max. I'm not sure it farms the collection points either, which I need for Hero Rings. It's 60k xp a pop but it's so drat depressing to see Exdeath go up a single or 2 levels after a run, when I need to gain 180 levels to get him to 6 star maximum.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Word going around, from people translating Japanese streams, is that Global's going to be getting Noctis at the same time as Japan (mid-December).

Which would be awesome.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The last 2 banners I've gotten crap from banner units, not a single 6* capable unit, but good off-banner ones. I got Bartz the banner before his, WoL, Agrias, and an Edgar that I won't fuse like the other 3 I ate.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AegisP posted:

Word going around, from people translating Japanese streams, is that Global's going to be getting Noctis at the same time as Japan (mid-December).

Which would be awesome.

Unless Noctis and co are nerfed as hell in Global since even if they aren't Veritas or Orlandu tier they're still going to be units that're 6+ months ahead of our power curve. If we get them unmodified and they are also really strong it's going to be interesting to see what people do. Considering Gumi's actions for things like Doublehand's nerf and tweaks to trials and such I fully expect us to get weakened versions of the units who will then get buffed (maybe) in X months.

I'll probably throw some 1/2 pulls at the FF13 banner to try for Snow but otherwise just stockpiling for Orlandu (or maybe Noctis if he turns out to be some OP as hell unit).

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Looks like 12/14 is the Noctis date for JP. Could also be the same date for GL as that's when this FFXIII event ends.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless Noctis and co are nerfed as hell in Global since even if they aren't Veritas or Orlandu tier they're still going to be units that're 6+ months ahead of our power curve. If we get them unmodified and they are also really strong it's going to be interesting to see what people do. Considering Gumi's actions for things like Doublehand's nerf and tweaks to trials and such I fully expect us to get weakened versions of the units who will then get buffed (maybe) in X months.

I'll probably throw some 1/2 pulls at the FF13 banner to try for Snow but otherwise just stockpiling for Orlandu (or maybe Noctis if he turns out to be some OP as hell unit).

They could always do the Maxwell treatment of us getting him capped at 5*. Alternatively, JP gets their enhancements right away (same thing as Agrias getting her 6* and Enhancements almost simultaneously), but Global has to wait for a while on them.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

AegisP posted:

I just swipe back and forth in Miranda Coast while reading/watching poo poo on my computer, since there's a good long straight path. Assuming I have the patience for Miranda Coast on that particular day and don't just bother with XP Vortex for the day.

Throw in some Dwarves' Forge so you can craft more hero rings when you get 10/10 fire/ice megacrysts.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man

Evil Fluffy posted:

God I really hope not. Noctis is such a lame character and it would suck if I needed to blow through all of my lapis and tickets just to stay competitive with him on my team.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Didn't we get Lightning insanely early to help boost early sales? Getting a full-power Noctis as a promotional tactic doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

HAHA! Finally pulled Bartz on a random ticket draw. Took all the dailies until today, plus 10 tickets. Got 3 more Exdeath along the way so absolutely no complaints, but now I am finally closing in on a top-tier physical team with Demon Rain using the eventual TMR Doublehand now, or Garland once he gets 6*.

Now all I really need is someone with Dual Wield, either innate or as a TMR. Anyone know if Zidane comes back on a rate-up banner? I've got 4 trust moogles and counting all ready to combine.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Dual cast Refia is complete. Am I gearing her right? I went all in on spirit.

I added 5 slots to my friend list, so if any new players want a cheat mode healer, send me an invite!

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man

Cartoon Man posted:

Dual cast Refia is complete. Am I gearing her right? I went all in on spirit.

I feel like with healers you get more bang for your buck focusing on MP rather than Spirit, though Spirit is the second best stat to focus on for sure.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I stack the poo poo out of HP on my healers. I'd be scared that Refia would tip over in a stiff breeze with 3.7k HP. Ethers are plentiful enough that I don't bother stacking MP personally. SPR scaling on heals is pretty bad too.

edit: Don't forget Camouflage.

dangerous.hotdog fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 30, 2016

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So, looking at the 13 announcement, Snow can counter Physical and Magic attacks. Vanille has Focus and Cheer. And Sazh? They still haven't fixed his TM Reward. It's still a loving d10. :gumi:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, for accessories and materia I just focus on MP and HP. Healers are naturally going to have high SPR, so stacking it on them for defense becomes much less efficient than simply raising their HP. And the contribution to healing from SPR isn't good.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
Don't necesarily neglect DEF on a healer like Refia. A beefy healer that can take a punch or two is never a bad thing.

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

I cleaned out some pubbies and have about 8 slots left. I could always clear out more for goons:

Please have something goon related in your username or friend message cause uh I get kinda swamped with invites.

(I'm TM running and will have a Greg friend unit with 700 atk this weekend).

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
gently caress sacred crystals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ok I took everybody's suggestions and came up with dual cast cheat mode Refia 2.0:

She now has three HP+15% materia alongside her dual cast. With the muscle belts, she should be less squishy.

• Locked thread