Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What does the exception here mean exactly? They're repealing the ban on declines for pre-existing conditions, but you can get around it if you jump to new insurance within six months of leaving your previous plan? That can't be right.

It means there is no ban on denying people for pre-existing conditions unless you maintain "continuous coverage" as defined under the Price healthcare plan.

They are defining continuous coverage as "within 6 months of losing your insurance provided by an employer." So, if you have a pre-existing condition and your company lays you off, then you can buy individual insurance and not be declined specifically because of a pre-existing condition or have that condition be used to charge you extra.

If you lose your healthcare for any other reason, do not currently have healthcare from an employer, have coverage from a non-employer (i.e. Medicaid or parents' plan) or voluntarily drop coverage, then you are in a healthcare market that is exactly the same as it was pre-2011. You can be charged whatever the company thinks is fair for your risk or be denied outright.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Do people who use twitter realize that like 90% of the population doesn't give a gently caress about tweeters and whatever they say.

BarbarianElephant posted:

History is currently proving you wrong.

It is actually an important distinction. Most people don't care about tweets, but they will read that tweet a month later packaged into an image macro and shared via a private facebook or text group.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Thanks a bunch

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

NewForumSoftware posted:

I dunno it seems like most of the population didn't care that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton made fools out of themselves all over social media.

Hillary Clinton just thought it would matter.

I don't know what world you are living in. Donald Trump is ace at Twitter, and (right wing) voters clearly like his tweets. They went a long way to winning him the election.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

I don't know what world you are living in. Donald Trump is ace at Twitter, and (right wing) voters clearly like his tweets. They went a long way to winning him the election.

I don't know I'm not much of a social media person but from my vantage point both of their efforts look borderline incompetent in two different ways.

Donald Trump has no effort to speak of and is just flying off the cuff saying whatever whenever wherever. This works decently because you'll accidentally say some good poo poo every once in a while and people will ignore the rest.

HRC and absurd social media effort that was about as "professional" as you can get and it was painfully transparent to anyone who's *groan* a digital native

I imagine the MSM will only become more and more obsolete as more people turn to the internet and realize that CNN might not have the hottest take. You can only lie to people so many times before you lose all credibility. Names like The Washington Post, New York Times, etc are a liability when it comes to having your message heard by a large audience.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

So looking at our voter turnout and seeing low democratic numbers you somehow think Donald's tweets are largely to blame for this? Get real!

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 29, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Enkmar posted:

So looking at our turnout and seeing a low democratic turnout you think Donald's tweets are largely to blame for this? Get real!

If they helped create a media environment where the narrative of the traditional media is completely ensnared by Trump's every dribble, then you betcha it was a piece of the puzzle.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

If they helped create a media environment where the narrative of the traditional media is completely ensnared by Trump's every dribble, then you betcha it was a piece of the puzzle.

The funny part is HRC actually used her influence with the MSM to ensure this was the case. As usual, the Democrat's incompetence has handed the GOP another blockbuster of an election.

This wasn't strategy on HRC or DJT's part, this was the electorate calling bullshit on the mainstream media and Hillary doubling down while the TV-fueled empire she's created crumbles all around her

all that was left was a few tweets from Donald because nobody who hadn't made up their mind believed anything the media was saying about either of them

i almost voted for HRC to give her a "mandate" or whatever (Im in CA) but after watching the first two debates I couldn't even bring myself to do it

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Actually Trump seemed to gain in the polls every time he went a couple days without picking a Twitter fight, so reminding voters that he's still an evil idiot made sense.

True, but the large number of undecided voters heading into E-Day should have raised some doubts as to whether that messaging strategy was actually effective. After the first few Trump outrages, it seems like anyone that was gonna be convinced by them would have been.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

NewForumSoftware posted:

This wasn't strategy on HRC or DJT's part, this was the electorate calling bullshit on the mainstream media and Hillary doubling down while the TV-fueled empire she's created crumbles all around her

What the gently caress are you even talking about man

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

And yet Ron Johnson ran on those issues and lost...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HannibalBarca posted:

True, but the large number of undecided voters heading into E-Day should have raised some doubts as to whether that messaging strategy was actually effective. After the first few Trump outrages, it seems like anyone that was gonna be convinced by them would have been.

But you're forgetting the other side of the pincer attack. Policy is boring and the media only want to cover more drama. Since the Clinton campaign didn't realize the traditional media doesn't matter anymore, they went for the only strategy they had that could keep the media on their talking points, which was creating drama by attacking Trump.

(Of course, paid media and the ground game still exist but that's another fuckup for another post.)

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Tatsuta Age posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about man

The death of the ability of the cable news cycle to influence the electorate above all else and/or the rise of the internet and generations who don't rely on traditional media to get their news

I'm sure the same thing happened with radio at some point as well, communications technologies are disruptive as all hell

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

LeftSlapFight.png

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Short Version of American Healthcare Policy is:

- There is a 99.9% chance we are returning to a slightly better version of the terrible pre-2011 healthcare market except with more incentive for employers at small and medium sized businesses to shift healthcare costs towards individuals.

- Medicaid will be boned at the Federal level. Some wealthy blue states will salvage it, but likely reduce rolls or other spending to compensate. Red states are going to go back to how Medicaid eligibility was before (in Texas for example, if you make more than $1,782 a year, then you are too rich to qualify for Medicaid. That is $1,782 PER YEAR for individuals. A family of three has to make less than $3,613 a year to qualify. If you are blind, over 65, or have a permanent disability you can qualify without an income threshold.)

- Medicare is really a coin toss. This is the only part that will receive significant political resistance.

If you plan on staying young and healthy forever, are an employer, a high-income individual with no chronic health issues, or currently over 55 you are probably fine.

Everyone else is going to range from "not much change" to "financially and physically ruined" on a sliding scale. Generally the lower income, younger, and unhealthier you are, the more boned you are.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

NewForumSoftware posted:

The funny part is HRC actually used her influence with the MSM to ensure this was the case. As usual, the Democrat's incompetence has handed the GOP another blockbuster of an election.

all that was left was a few tweets from Donald because nobody who hadn't made up their mind believed anything the media was saying about either of them

i almost voted for HRC to give her a "mandate" or whatever (Im in CA) but after watching the first two debates I couldn't even bring myself to do it

Yeah, sure, you "almost voted" for her. You must think we're morons. It's blatantly obvious from this post alone that you're a right-wing conspiracy theorist pretending to be leftist.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A lovely Reporter posted:

Yeah, sure, you "almost voted" for her. You must think we're morons. It's blatantly obvious from this post alone that you're a right-wing conspiracy theorist pretending to be leftist.

No, he's a software developer smugly pontificating about How Things Really Are, Man from high atop his upper-class salary. It's easy to feel above it all when you won't be affected by policy either way.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Right wing conspiracy theorist pretending to be a leftist.... hmm I voted for Bernie in the Primary and La Riva in the General.

Please save your election hysterics for someone who cares.

I would have voted for Hillary if she hadn't openly called for more war in the middle east. Really as simple as that.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Oxxidation posted:

No, he's a software developer smugly pontificating about How Things Really Are, Man from high atop his upper-class salary. It's easy to feel above it all when you won't be affected by policy either way.
What's the difference, functionally?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain Invictus posted:

So, ever since the election, I've been largely avoiding politics for the most part. A hypothetical question on the whole recount thing, what do you believe would happen if it is found that the votes were tampered with in favor of trump? What if it's found that due to this tampering Hillary lost? I am genuinely curious if that scenario were to occur, what would happen to the country(civil war? armed uprisings?), what would happen with Russia(since it'd be them if anyone tampering), that sort of thing. Would the Russian government rigging the American election be considered a declaration of war? What would happen if it's found that Russia did tamper with the voting machines?

Just a hypothetical question, I'm curious and not saying this is actually the case.

Obama would probably try to hush it to avoid widespread violence that would occur from denying Trump a stolen election since his rabid followers would see it as the strongest possible vindication of his claims of "the election is rigged" which he suddenly stopped saying when he won because of our idiotic EC system.

Same with if the EC would actually come out and say "yeah no this guy is a huge danger to the country and humanity as a whole" and dozens flipped to award Clinton 270+ EVs instead.

Coheed and Camembert posted:

God almighty, this should be shouted from the heavens if any Clinton ever attempts to run for office again. George is the exception.

https://twitter.com/gzornick/status/803642858670419969

A Good Article, because holy gently caress. The Democrats need to pound this poo poo nonstop into everyone's brains from now until November 2018.

The Democrats aren't smart, or well funded, enough to do this. They'll hem and haw like they always do. Or they'll think "we'll just sit on this for 2018 instead of attacking on it now" and then get blown out when nobody gives as much of a gently caress anymore because it's too late and industry lobbyists have had time to talk/threaten them down from doing so.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

Right wing conspiracy theorist pretending to be a leftist.... hmm I voted for Bernie in the Primary and La Riva in the General.

I would have voted for Hillary if she hadn't openly called for more war in the middle east. Really as simple as that.

And now Donald Trump will run the US military and have sole and absolute authority to launch nuclear strikes.

You're a loving idiot.

Also, y'all know Pelosi held the line on Social Security privatization in 05 and OS looking to do the same again in 17 and try to repeat the 06 wave.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

by god, a sighting of the Ivory Tower Coastal Elite in the wild! Jacobs, hand me a fowling rifle; the natural philosophy department will pay handsomely for a specimen

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

considering more americans didn't vote for Trump or Hillary than did I'm actually part of the majority

it's really easy to not care when neither politician does anything for you other than lower your taxes and gently caress poor people even harder

it's really awesome being a successful software developer who's brothers, sisters, family and friends can't afford health insurance

Rygar201 posted:

And now Donald Trump will run the US military and have sole and absolute authority to launch nuclear strikes.

You're a loving idiot.

me voting for Hillary in California wouldn't have changed that, sorry the realities of our electoral system grind your gears

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

NewForumSoftware posted:

considering more americans didn't vote for Trump or Hillary than did I'm actually part of the majority

it's really easy to not care when neither politician does anything for you other than lower your taxes and gently caress poor people even harder

it's really awesome being a successful software developer who's brothers, sisters, family and friends can't afford health insurance

I bet your minority friends will really appreciate your moral superiority as they're hurt by this.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
if we admit that youre right and the biggest smarty pants on the planet, will you gently caress off? because that seems to be what youre angling for here, rather than any kind of discussion.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's cool to hear that Hillary and the news media are long time friends.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

I bet your minority friends will really appreciate your moral superiority as they're hurt by this.

my minority friends also didn't vote for Hillary

now, none of them voted for Trump obviously but one of their mother's did who's been a single mother her entire life living off of social support and did so because "she wants to throw a wrench into the system" 65 year old black woman who's husband was imprisoned by the police for 20+ years on a bogus drug charge wouldn't even vote for Hillary

shes in ohio by the way

but its ok, ignore me because i got lucky in this stupid market economy

paranoid randroid posted:

if we admit that youre right and the biggest smarty pants on the planet, will you gently caress off? because that seems to be what youre angling for here, rather than any kind of discussion.

actually the discussion I was trying to have is "for all the talk of the election results we don't really talk about how voter turnout was still incredibly low" do you think all the talk of big tents and massive support for Trump/Hillary is undercut by the fact that less than a quarter of the population voted for either of them?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i voted for whoever makes the uspol thread angrier

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

zegermans posted:

Haha, so basically one month after the 2018 midterms they're going to kick 20 million people off their insurance.

This is why I think the dems should push to move the timeline up as well as making sure poo poo like social security and Medicare cuts hit everyone right now if they're not actually going to be able to stop it. People are hosed anyway, make it happen now, hope you can get back in and fix poo poo. If you can't then it wasn't meant to be.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Also while performing a cadaver synod on the Clinton Campaign is fun and good, I feel like there's not nearly enough outrage directed at Comey because he kinda blatantly threw the election. Is anything at all going to happen to him?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Democrats aren't smart, or well funded, enough to do this. They'll hem and haw like they always do. Or they'll think "we'll just sit on this for 2018 instead of attacking on it now" and then get blown out when nobody gives as much of a gently caress anymore because it's too late and industry lobbyists have had time to talk/threaten them down from doing so.

You know why? Because there isn't some vast orchestrated conspiracy at all. Because the Democrats are the party and the party is the people in it. Oh sure, there are hired guns and powerful PACs, but it isn't like there is some smoked filled meeting anymore and now everyone is playing their own part but no one is conducting the orchestra. (We don't give the DNC enough power for them to do it.)

So the Democrats will get smart and stop hemming and hawing when people go out and in the name of the party, just do it. You're right about the challenges we face, but there is no superstar coming. Democrats are lovely when good people don't show up to the Party.

zegermans posted:

Also while performing a cadaver synod on the Clinton Campaign is fun and good, I feel like there's not nearly enough outrage directed at Comey because he kinda blatantly threw the election. Is anything at all going to happen to him?

Lol nah. Dude will be fine. poo poo Trump was floating Petraeus as a troll.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 29, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If Clinton had won, things would have been very bad for Comey. Since Trump won, he'll be fine. He's a conservative in a conservative sector of government in a conservative administration.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

actually the discussion I was trying to have is "for all the talk of the election results we don't really talk about how voter turnout was still incredibly low" do you think all the talk of big tents and massive support for Trump/Hillary is undercut by the fact that less than a quarter of the population voted for either of them?

well yeah obviously the biggest failing of the HRC campaign was a failure to mobilize the Obama coalition to an extent similar to him, but then again Obama may just be sui generis when it comes to that kind of ability. one thing i do agree with Clinton on that other leftists recoiled from in shrieking anger was her statement that we need to learn to make the small, important things attractive to enthusiastic, activist voters. because yeah, we do. the small, unsexy things that are nevertheless important need doing too, and evidently Dems cant win unless we're massively jacked for our candidate.

as for DJT, i got nothing left to say. his platform obviously has no mandate, but that hardly loving matters with the ravening psychopaths of the GOP in control of all three branches of the government.

QuoProQuid posted:

i voted for whoever makes the uspol thread angrier

they all make me mad, Bob. im full of care.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah I was kinda holding out hope that Trump's "Comey is a failure!" bluster during the campaign would at least get him ousted, but I imagine behind the scenes he knew Comey was on his side.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I would rather have Comey serve as Director of the FBI than give Trump another appointment to enable his kleptocracy. The country's largest law enforcement agency does not need to be in his hands. I still haven't seen any reason to think that Comey is a crazed partisan.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

paranoid randroid posted:

they all make me mad, Bob. im full of care.

Agreed, if you existed on Earth in 2016, you hosed up, and we hate you.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Hmm, for a liberal you certainly spout a lot of alt-right buzzwords like MSM... and fer crying out loud, Trump *also* called for war in the Middle East (but I guess you don't care about Iran?)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewForumSoftware posted:

how are you active in these forums and still able to hold this opinion

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

foobardog posted:

Agreed, if you existed on Earth in 2016, you hosed up, and we hate you.

in the post-Trump wasteland im gonna be like some kinda Kevin Costner flick version of that alien from Hitchhiker's Guide that turns up just to call Arthur Dent a wanker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Hmm, for a liberal you certainly spout a lot of alt-right buzzwords like MSM... and fer crying out loud, Trump *also* called for war in the Middle East (but I guess you don't care about Iran?)

He seems to be the only actual Bernie Bro in existence.

• Locked thread