Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can make any argument you want because someone, somewhere, has said it on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

"I wish there were more diverse creators working on characters from those same diverse backgrounds" does not mean "White people shouldn't be working on characters who are POC/LGBTQ".

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It can be implied, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Only if you read it wrong.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

irlZaphod posted:

"I wish there were more diverse creators working on characters from those same diverse backgrounds" does not mean "White people shouldn't be working on characters who are POC/LGBTQ".

Well, no, you wouldn't complain that marginalized characters are being worked on. The complaint that I would expect to see is that the marginalized characters are being worked on by an author who happens to be white, which is a situation that could be improved by a having more diverse author.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
How's that blade comic?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Shawn posted:

How's that blade comic?

Still ice-skating uphill.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What's wrong with saying that publishers should actually hire people whose lived experience is similar to those being written about and not just paying lip service for a cash grab with here's a character of color created and written by a. wyatt mann

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
http://nerdist.com/iceman-creative-team-talks-the-x-men-heros-first-ongoing-series-and-coming-out/

Iceman creative team announced: Sina Grace writing and Alessandro Vitti on art.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
That's garbage. Sina Grace can't turn into ice. Why can't we get writers that have the same problems and backgrounds as the characters?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

site posted:

What's wrong with saying that publishers should actually hire people whose lived experience is similar to those being written about and not just paying lip service for a cash grab with here's a character of color created and written by a. wyatt mann

Nothing. The poster just wanted to portray it as hypocrisy to also complain about all white teams. It was a lame troll.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Important X-Men question: Has Rachel Summers ever had a costume that didn't look completely god awful? I liked it when Alan Davis was drawing her back in Exaclibur but that's because it was Alan Davis; anyone else doing that look would probably be horrifying. But all of her modern costumes have been terrible aside from occasionally sticking her in the Phoenix outfit which they are probably right in not wanting to do full-time.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

site posted:

If you're specifically writing about characters living mundane lives, that might make sense. For the X-Men, it makes no sense whatsoever. These characters are larger than life. These are godlike, mythological figures. Look at this gold team. Storm spent much of her life believing herself to be a Goddess. Kitty was recently a space god. Colossus was possessed, concurrently, a demon and a cosmic entity. Rachel also had a deal with a cosmic entity, which at one point escalated to the point where she was in a fight where moons were being thrown as weapons. Also, due to time travel hijinks, she is currently older than her mom. Oh, and Nightcrawler is aware of the afterlife, having spent some time in heaven.

You want a writer with relevant life experience? There's no such person. What you need is a comic book author. You need someone with so much imagination that they can write from the perspective of a sentient gas living in the rings of Saturn which is upset by the flares of retro-rockets.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Maxwell Adams posted:

If you're specifically writing about characters living mundane lives, that might make sense. For the X-Men, it makes no sense whatsoever. These characters are larger than life. These are godlike, mythological figures. Look at this gold team. Storm spent much of her life believing herself to be a Goddess. Kitty was recently a space god. Colossus was possessed, concurrently, a demon and a cosmic entity. Rachel also had a deal with a cosmic entity, which at one point escalated to the point where she was in a fight where moons were being thrown as weapons. Also, due to time travel hijinks, she is currently older than her mom. Oh, and Nightcrawler is aware of the afterlife, having spent some time in heaven.

You want a writer with relevant life experience? There's no such person. What you need is a comic book author. You need someone with so much imagination that they can write from the perspective of a sentient gas living in the rings of Saturn which is upset by the flares of retro-rockets.

This isn't what people were criticizing about the new XMen books in this thread. But if you want to write a gay character on your team book you should have some actual knowledge about gay people. it isn't all space gods and demons.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 29, 2016

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Maxwell Adams posted:

95% of the reason the X-Men are still popular today is because Chris Claremont wrote them as people with relationships and personal issues that didn't just stem out of their superhero identities but also out of who they were as people who sometimes got turned into babies. That's why despite all the comic book nonsense, they're relatable characters even when they're dealing with cosmic issues.

People's problem here is with Marc Guggenheim coming onto the book and going "The X-Men should be about racism and prejudice, I'm going to make them about racism and prejudice again." Saying they'd rather see a writer who'd actually experienced that giving their take on it is not an unreasonable response.

Threep fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 29, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nevvy Z posted:

Who said that?

Tim Seeley said it about himself and people got mad.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Threep posted:

People's problem here is with Marc Guggenheim coming onto the book and going "The X-Men should be about racism and prejudice, I'm going to make them about racism and prejudice again." Saying they'd rather see a writer who'd actually experienced that giving their take on it is not an unreasonable response.

But he also said, "...we really want to tell stories that get back to the idea of just the X-Men as superheroes. Not all of the stories that we're doing are based on mutants or the problems of mutants or the conflict with the Inhumans. It's very much a team superhero book.”

Regular racism is mundane. The X-Men do not live mundane lives. When they face systemic oppression, it comes in the form of giant purple robots. They worry about toxic clouds, and potential futures where they get put into camps and have the letter M tattooed over their eye.

What are you gonna do, write a story where Storm keeps getting picked for random security checks at the airport?

X-Men racism should be like this:

Do what is possible in sci-fi - explore a concept from an outside perspective, and learn to understand it in abstract terms. Make a real, complex thing easy to understand by comparing it to a fake, impossible thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NorgLyle posted:

Important X-Men question: Has Rachel Summers ever had a costume that didn't look completely god awful? I liked it when Alan Davis was drawing her back in Exaclibur but that's because it was Alan Davis; anyone else doing that look would probably be horrifying. But all of her modern costumes have been terrible aside from occasionally sticking her in the Phoenix outfit which they are probably right in not wanting to do full-time.

I liked her spikey red and orange overcoat outfit, but yea, she's sorta been in the Kitty and Wanda museum of unfortunate costume choices.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

twistedmentat posted:

I liked her spikey red and orange overcoat outfit, but yea, she's sorta been in the Kitty and Wanda museum of unfortunate costume choices.
That one was alright, yeah. I think part of the problem is that (largely because of Alan Davis) artists think that they need to doodle all over her face constantly and most of the time they just can't pull it off.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Maxwell Adams posted:

But he also said, "...we really want to tell stories that get back to the idea of just the X-Men as superheroes. Not all of the stories that we're doing are based on mutants or the problems of mutants or the conflict with the Inhumans. It's very much a team superhero book.”

Regular racism is mundane. The X-Men do not live mundane lives. When they face systemic oppression, it comes in the form of giant purple robots. They worry about toxic clouds, and potential futures where they get put into camps and have the letter M tattooed over their eye.

What are you gonna do, write a story where Storm keeps getting picked for random security checks at the airport?

X-Men racism should be like this:

Do what is possible in sci-fi - explore a concept from an outside perspective, and learn to understand it in abstract terms. Make a real, complex thing easy to understand by comparing it to a fake, impossible thing.

You're right, it's dumb to ever think something created as a parable to racism should occasionally be written by someone who's ever experienced it.

Like they say, never write what you know.

Edit: you ever consider that one of the reasons a lot of sci-fi takes on oppression, like that Star Trek ep or a lot of the X-Men, are so heavy handed and tone deaf is because they were written by a bunch of white guys?

Poor Miserable Gurgi fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 29, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

You're right, it's dumb to ever think something created as a parable to racism should occasionally be written by someone who's ever experienced it.

I suppose the simple solution is to make it so it's no longer a parable for racism. :v:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

NorgLyle posted:

I thought the one she had that sort of looked like the Generation X costumes with spikes on it and like a feather tail thing on the back was good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

And the only people with imagination are white men? White guys are just naturally better at writing superheroes?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The comics that were supposed to arrive last week came in yesterday, and I bought them today. Haven't read them yet, but they still didn't have Venom, so I decided to just get Ultimates 2 instead and forget about Venom.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

Roth posted:

The comics that were supposed to arrive last week came in yesterday, and I bought them today. Haven't read them yet, but they still didn't have Venom, so I decided to just get Ultimates 2 instead and forget about Venom.

I'm hoping a large order I placed comes in soon since it will catch me up on the last two months or so worth of books. Going forward with Marvel Now I'm pretty much only excited about Ewing's books :(

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, Sina Grace does identify as gay from what I can tell by stalking his social media and for what it's worth. I'm interested in what kinds of stories this mostly-indie creator is gonna tell, and it's kind of nice for Marvel to be taking a chance on these niche talents (particularly since it does seem to be working out well for them in general).

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

irlZaphod posted:

Only if you read it wrong.

Like a lawyer? Yeah, I guess.

Anyway, I guess it's better to try and fail than not try at all. I like it when creators attempt things?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Huh, some people get really weird when someone just says they'd like to see more diversity in the X-Men teams.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

NorgLyle posted:

There was a while there when Davis was writing that she showed up and said something like, "I know how this looks, but I decided the Dark Phoenix costume was awesome, so I'm gonna go ahead and wear it." I think that might have actually been her high point: a decades-old costume with a terrible history.

Her second-best outfit might be the one she had for exactly one comic book during the "Asgardian Wars" crossover. Both she and Colossus got new outfits out of nowhere in that annual that they just sort of weren't wearing afterward, and both outfits are some of the best they've ever had.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Gaz-L posted:

And the only people with imagination are white men? White guys are just naturally better at writing superheroes?

No.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Edit: you ever consider that one of the reasons a lot of sci-fi takes on oppression, like that Star Trek ep or a lot of the X-Men, are so heavy handed and tone deaf is because they were written by a bunch of white guys?

I believe that skin color has nothing to do with writing talent.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Experience with a subject matter does have to do with writing about the subject matter, though. "Everyone is just as good as writing about everything as everyone else" seems a bit like "I don't see color, everyone is human to me" writ sideways.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Maxwell Adams posted:

No.

Talent can only do so much when you have zero experience with an issue. And monthly comic books aren't really the medium to do tons of research into a topic you know nothing about.

Also, putting aside the issue of a white person's ability to write on these topics, I really don't see what's objectionable with saying you'd like to see more people who have experienced what these characters were created to explore writing the stories.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have no idea who the writer of Iceman is, but it's not like I was going to read an Iceman solo book anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

No.

So why are you butthurt about people wanting someone other than an old, straight white guy to write X-Men?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maxwell Adams posted:

No one is suggesting otherwise.

Who do you think is going to be better able to write about science: a writer with significant experience in science, or a writer without it?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So I just got caught up on the current volume of Amazing Spider-Man after not reading it for years. Still don't know half of what's going on, but I actually like it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

X-O posted:

I have no idea who the writer of Iceman is, but it's not like I was going to read an Iceman solo book anyway.

He put out a fun book at Image a while ago called Burn the Orphanage, which is basically the comic book version of an old 2D arcade brawler from the early 1990s.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jamie McKelvie’s X-Men Blue costume designs.

edit: After just coming home from work, I'm envious of Young Beast's no shoes superpower above all others.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 30, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Jean and Hank's puffy jackets will have to grow on me, but overall the teen five continue their streak of pretty good-lookin' ensembles.

And I tell you what, I like small Bobby's blue suit much more than I like that red poo poo big Bobby is wearing. We lose Storm's mohawk but keep red on Iceman? He's Iceman! Ice ain't red!

:doom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The jackets are the best. New X-Men, baby!

• Locked thread