Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes posted:

I feel like I'm misunderstanding something about the way tournament brackets get put together. I started the tournament at about five minutes past the hour, and started out placed about 800th, suggesting there were 800 players when I joined. But the top 25 were already all over 3,000 points, making it pointless for me to even try to participate.

Am I missing something here or should I just give up on these stupid tournaments and save myself the stress?

You should definitely play in the tournaments, just... if you're not willing to throw 300k+ ally points into them... don't throw yourself super-hard at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Vulpes posted:

Am I missing something here or should I just give up on these stupid tournaments and save myself the stress?

Malgrin posted:

At this point, I think you have to pick and choose your tournaments. Unless you have 300k+ AP, you won't place very highly. You probably need 500k for top 1-3 in most brackets. You might be able to game the system a little by when you join, but I think by now, top players will be spread out across starting times. While I think this tournament is worth throwing everything you have at it, I am actually leaning towards minimal effort in the hopes that there will be a second DV tournament. Unless you still have a stockpile of GW and/or AP, you might want to consider doing the same. If I end up on an easy shard, I will throw what I have at it (probably 200k by the end of the tournament), but otherwise plan to save my AP. I've been putting GW into AP, but I think right now the smarter choice is to at least get 7 ships to 4* before doing that. I've been scoring top 50 on ships, but that is getting harder as others have been starring their ships faster than me. An unlocked advanced tie could change that a lot, but I'm not even sure I can unlock it with 200k. I would rather save and have 300k+ for the next torunament.

So, unlike in arena, it doesn't really matter where other people are when you start -- it just means they've spent more time attacking than you have, which is actually a slightly good thing. Starting later means there will be more bad people above you that you can throw trash teams at and win (so more wins with less AP). That said, unless you plan on spending a few hours attacking with nearly unlimited AP (check out my post about it a page or two ago). This isn't like arena where you swap with the person you attack -- you gain a set number of points per attack.

That said, you probably have some serious whales that have been saving GW points for like 6 months and have a limitless supply of AP. I know some with a million plus, after having already taken top 5 in all of the tournaments. Eventually, the whales will be down to what they can farm between tournaments, but it's going to take another month or so before that happens.

At this point though, I would probably recommend putting one GW shipment per day into AP, and two per day into ships. Then, participate in every Tournament, but don't spend more than a few thousand on one, but spend everything on the next one. You'll get better rewards than if you throw everything at every tournament. It's still worth participating even if you don't get much.

e: Oh yeah, the whole reason I jumped on here, TFP is crazy good. If you are on a shard that has Shoretroopers, I would absolutely farm TFP over Wedge. Wiggs is still really good, but Crit Immunity just kills that team. You'll need B2 or something mixed in if you want a chance. I'm getting close to G10 TFP (15 stun cuffs and random white poo poo for a Scanner), and I think I just need a stun cuff for G11. Once you hit G10 +2 items, you can get him to 170 base speed, which makes it absurdly easy to beat an STH, plus he gets two turns before anyone else gets a chance. Don't forget, in addition to his AOE, it inflicts ability block on the main target, so you get two chances to shut down STH, one at 80%, and one at 100% - tenacity (so probably 85%).

All that said, you really need EP for FTP to shine. I do think we'll get another EP event in the next two months, so that means you need to make sure you have 5 really strong rebels. Wedge should make the event fairly easy, but you can do it without him (I think I used AA, Luke, Leia, STH, HRS).

For mods, I would recommend one of two setups. I'm not sure which is better because I haven't had time to test it.
1) Pure speed. Get you fastest speed set mods, plus a fast crit % set. So, that's a base of +17 speed from the set, and 30 from the Arrow mod. If you can average 10 speed for each other slot, that's +50 for a grand total of 267 speed. Only faster TFPs will be going first (you can run Tarkin lead if you really have to beat another TFP). After speed, I would look for crit % secondaries, with the one set and some decent 2-3% secondaries, you can get up to about 50%, which really matters for his basic. So, with EP lead, that first hit is going to have high enough potency you should have 85% * 80% * 5 abilities, plus 85% * one ability, which should average to landing 4 abilities. with 3-4 ability blocked people TFP will gain 30-40% TM from himself, plus 60-80% from EP. That's a free turn. Then, your basic goes off to inflict Tenacity down on the 5th...with 50% crit, that's a pretty decent chance. This is one of the few heroes I'd actually consider crit % over crit damage triangles for this reason. Anyways, if you land it, that's 20% from EP, and with 5 heroes now suffering from a debuff, you're looking at 50% for TFP. So, every time you land a crit with TFP, you're gaining 70% TM and can probably pop off 1-2 more hits before anyone else goes. The one exception here is against a Rex lead team. His TM on crit is bad for you. Good thing you can shock all of them.

2) Pure crit chance. A lot of people are saying CD/CC, but I think that's wrong. However, if you're running 6x CC, run CD triangle. If you can manage 10 speed average, you're still getting +80 speed for a grand total of 250. I know, you probably can't manage that right now, but that's a long term goal. I still like plan 1 more though, so probably try to get that. This will land about as many crits as the above, but do an extra 36% crit damage per crit.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 28, 2016

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Unless your Shore is like 220+ speed wiggs will still win. My gear X shore with 50k ehp dies in one Biggs assist and a random follow up hit most of the time I go after wiggs.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

Unless your Shore is like 220+ speed wiggs will still win. My gear X shore with 50k ehp dies in one Biggs assist and a random follow up hit most of the time I go after wiggs.

Instead of speed, I'd probably focus on boosting his protection. 4x protection primaries will get you pretty close to 50k Protection, and then I'd also aim for defense sets for an extra 15%. He might not survive until his turn, but he'll soak up that first Biggs barrage plus some. Also, TFP will be going way before Wiggs, which will get you a buff block on 3-4 of their team, and ability block on STH. TFP is really easy to get faster than Wiggs, as his base speed is 170. In my shard, Biggs tends to have about 250 speed after Wiggs bonus, but I've seen it up to 260 (that's a 215 speed Biggs -- or +110 base). I can get mine over 270, so I'm not too worried there.

Anyways, right now I'm looking at EP, TFP, RG, Wiggs. I'll have Biggs at his current speed, 195 (240), with TFP clocking in around 270.

Ugh, and I just realized why this plan won't always work and needs Shoretrooper/Baze. As soon as TFP aoes, Biggs will get a free turn, making it a 50/50 for who goes first. If Biggs shoots EP or TFP, they are probably dead. The one hope is to land Ability block on Biggs, which I was thinking would go on STH. Will just have to hope for the 80% * 85% chance of landing buff block on STH. That said, when my Biggs goes (almost immediately after TFP), he'll be able to snipe STH, which will pull in one of: EP, RG, and TFP, which is a second chance at Stun, Shock, or Tenacity down (if ability block misses). If it hits, I just go for murdering Lando or Wedge.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
I've been having troubles with someone on my arena shard that is running Boba (L)/Wiggs/Shoretrooper/JKA. I'm working on leveling and gearing my Boba (and also working on Maul, for ships) (never thought I would be caring at all about those two!), but not sure I would run JKA in that sort of team, I'd kinda prefer Sun Fac I think. Boba is pretty darn annoying, if you leave him for last he tends to kill off people and renew his revive. The even more terrifying thing would be Boba with his Zeta, which I why I am working on him (up to 2 Zeta mats, so far a 50% drop rate on them)

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
applied to Qui GoonJinn as Rubiconse

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What do I actually do with these ships? I have two now. Also, how do I level up a guy past max level? Level 34 seems like an odd max.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

What do I actually do with these ships? I have two now. Also, how do I level up a guy past max level? Level 34 seems like an odd max.

You fight in space battles and stuff. It's basically swgoh but with ships...yup, they're definitely not trying to drag every drop of oil from their whales.

No clue. I didn't run into that on my alt. It may have something to do with the hero's gear level or something like that.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

Max level for your guys is the same as your level.

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

You need the corresponding pilot for the ship to be usable. You use them for ship arena and ship challenges to gain tokens for the ship shipments store. The max level allowed for a character is tied to your player level. Level your roster wisely because resources will become scarce. Check the OP for good tips.

e: drat, we all answered at the same time. Good job!

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
I am a big fan of waiting a couple hours to start the tourney. I waited 4 hours after the start of this one, and this is after 2 hours and 100k ally points worth of fighting:

Not sure I will be able to hold it though, only 110k ally points left

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011
I waited 3 hours and got put in with a bunch of TI and Skunk whales. Oh well, I didn't really care about this tournament anyway. The payouts are a joke: 60 shards then 25 for the next tier? Hilarious.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

Dr. Venture posted:

I waited 3 hours and got put in with a bunch of TI and Skunk whales. Oh well, I didn't really care about this tournament anyway. The payouts are a joke: 60 shards then 25 for the next tier? Hilarious.

this is 100% true HOWEVER, I am in dire need or ship credits so I will halfway participate for that alone

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Honestly, between the animations taking ages and this tourney my excitement for ships has pretty much hit rock bottom. I´ve started buying gear/characters in the fleet shipments instead of ships.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Any spots in the goon guilds? I've been soloing for a while now at lvl 78 with a bunch of 7*s, ally code 811-765-534, char name Aleth Kiraen.

Edit: and in, ta.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 29, 2016

Karzon
Oct 15, 2002

Mr. Neutron posted:

Honestly, between the animations taking ages and this tourney my excitement for ships has pretty much hit rock bottom. I´ve started buying gear/characters in the fleet shipments instead of ships.

Understandable, but keep in mind what Two Step has found - the ship material challenge seems to be the best way to get Zeta materials. And for that I believe you need 7 5* ships and a 5* capital ship.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Mr. Neutron posted:

Ships are really underwhelming so far. Battles take way too long, cash seems to come in a trickle, and the factions are all over the place in terms of how well-rounded they are (seriously, there's three separatist guys but only one Empire pilot?). The best thing about the update is that it introduced new ways to get Wedge, Sun Fac, and Vader shards.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
It's just gonna be a few months of grinding to get a full fleet of 85 7* ships.

After that, it's character/gear city.

Spakstik posted:

Ships are really underwhelming so far. Battles take way too long, cash seems to come in a trickle, and the factions are all over the place in terms of how well-rounded they are (seriously, there's three separatist guys but only one Empire pilot?). The best thing about the update is that it introduced new ways to get Wedge, Sun Fac, and Vader shards.

They missed a loving chance to make the TFP's ship a TIE Interceptor and I'm never going to forgive them for that.

In general, there aren't enough ways to get ship shards and that seems like a bad loving move.

These base ships should have shards in every shop.
Droid Smuggling and Credit Heist should award poo poo for both ships and characters and in no way drop the value it currently brings to the character side.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 29, 2016

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Think it's worth spending 2.8k GW credits to boost me from x70 ship fragments to x80 ship fragments (gets me the unlock)? I'm not sure it would even work but I'd wait til the end to make the decision. Have to get top 5 in 60-69 bracket to unlock the ship, I wonder what the cutoff was for 70-79.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boozie posted:

Think it's worth spending 2.8k GW credits to boost me from x70 ship fragments to x80 ship fragments (gets me the unlock)? I'm not sure it would even work but I'd wait til the end to make the decision. Have to get top 5 in 60-69 bracket to unlock the ship, I wonder what the cutoff was for 70-79.

If 2.8k credits are the difference between DV and no DV, I would say go for it. He's supposed to be very strong. That said, people tend to spend way more second day than first, so keep an eye on that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boozie posted:

Honestly? At this point I'd say use those tokens to buy more ship fragments so you can unlock the 3rd ship challenge faster

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

Honestly? At this point I'd say use those tokens to buy more ship fragments so you can unlock the 3rd ship challenge faster

No way, it's totally worth putting off GW ship purchases for 2 days if it means you unlock Vader's TIE at the end of this tournament.

e: But yeah what Mal said. Top 5 does not sound easy. I wouldn't bank on it. Keep a close eye on how difficult it gets and if the math doesn't work out then quickly abandon that plan.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Venture posted:

No way, it's totally worth putting off GW ship purchases for 2 days if it means you unlock Vader's TIE at the end of this tournament.

e: But yeah what Mal said. Top 5 does not sound easy. I wouldn't bank on it. Keep a close eye on how difficult it gets and if the math doesn't work out then quickly abandon that plan.

If it means that.

I don't believe it will mean that, though. No way you're getting top 25 off of that meager stack of GW tokens.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
My plan is to not spend any GW until the very end and see how the math shakes out with full knowledge that other people will be pushing then too.

[e] 60-69 is top 5, not 25. The competition is much lighter though. I can probably get top 10 without spending any GW but that's only x70 shards.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Is it better to get five Vader shards or four random ship shards from fleet shipments? I'm leaning vader shards simply because of the scarcity of them.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MichiganCubbie posted:

Is it better to get five Vader shards or four random ship shards from fleet shipments? I'm leaning vader shards simply because of the scarcity of them.

You can get 5 vader shards for just signing up and doing nothing else.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Chilichimp posted:

They missed a loving chance to make the TFP's ship a TIE Interceptor and I'm never going to forgive them for that.

He's TIE Fighter Pilot, not TIE Interceptor Pilot!

Managing to stay in the top 100 of my shard having only spent about 50k points, still got about 200k left. Don't want to spend all of them just to stay in top 100, but top 25 looks too far away to be realistic. I guess I'll have to wait until next tournament to get the ship.

Chilichimp posted:

You can get 5 vader shards for just signing up and doing nothing else.

He means character shards. I'm also not sure how much of my money I should be spending on Sun Fac/Vader over ships. Sun Fac is still such a beast though, I really should unlock him.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

MichiganCubbie posted:

Vulpes posted:

He means character shards. I'm also not sure how much of my money I should be spending on Sun Fac/Vader over ships. Sun Fac is still such a beast though, I really should unlock him.

I would still stay away form spending fleet currency on Vader. At this point, he can get most of the way to 7* just from achievements, and if you buy him whenever he shows up in the shard shop, problem solved. Plus, there's really no use for him once he hits 7* (I have him there, he's level 80, G10, and I have no clue what to do with him).

I mean, that's not me saying don't get him to 7*, I just wouldn't spend fairly valuable currency on him.

Balls to the Mall
Feb 11, 2011

Kinda disappointing for it to be yet another trump av.

:wom:
I'm playing again it seems. Ally Code: 513-511-159 if anybody has space to add me to a guild?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes posted:

He's TIE Fighter Pilot, not TIE Interceptor Pilot!

Shoulda called him TIE pilot then, and my forgiveness is no closer to arrival.

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011
So originally my plan with this tournament was to not give a poo poo. I bled a lot of currency on the last one from running my A team repeatedly at 5k a pop. It was my intention to use a C, B, and then A team; working each up to 5k per refresh and stopping there. I got an awful shard full of TI and Skunk whales running 7* Baze and Chirrut combos.

I'm somehow rank 13 with 116k ally points left. I'll have another 54k from GW by tomorrow. Everything's coming up Milhouse!

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

Karzon posted:

Understandable, but keep in mind what Two Step has found - the ship material challenge seems to be the best way to get Zeta materials. And for that I believe you need 7 5* ships and a 5* capital ship.

You need 5 4* dark side ships, then 8 5* ships of any side (you have to first get the Executrix to 5*)

Boozie posted:

My plan is to not spend any GW until the very end and see how the math shakes out with full knowledge that other people will be pushing then too.

[e] 60-69 is top 5, not 25. The competition is much lighter though. I can probably get top 10 without spending any GW but that's only x70 shards.

Be careful with this plan, you can only buy so many ally points without a refresh of the GW shop...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
God damnit, I forgot to do my poo poo before the first character refresh.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

My Tournament broke. One of my three choices to fight was a group of level 55, 4 and 5* characters.

I'm level 84.

What.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Malgrin posted:

I would still stay away form spending fleet currency on Vader. At this point, he can get most of the way to 7* just from achievements, and if you buy him whenever he shows up in the shard shop, problem solved. Plus, there's really no use for him once he hits 7* (I have him there, he's level 80, G10, and I have no clue what to do with him).

I mean, that's not me saying don't get him to 7*, I just wouldn't spend fairly valuable currency on him.

I don't even know what to spend ship currency on. I have just been buying Sun Fac shards and the occasional ship shard. I have no real plan because I just can't get interested in this ship junk beyond wanting those sweet sweet zetas. Have you made a post about what to spend on what ships?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

UmOk posted:

I don't even know what to spend ship currency on. I have just been buying Sun Fac shards and the occasional ship shard. I have no real plan because I just can't get interested in this ship junk beyond wanting those sweet sweet zetas. Have you made a post about what to spend on what ships?

I've made some suggestions, but I'm not really in a position of authority. Two_Step has a lot more ship stuff than anyone else on here I think. I haven't spent any money on ships, so I only have the basic stuff, and nothing over 3*, so it's hard to say so far. If I had to say right now, of the non P2W heroes with ships, Biggs and JC seem like the best. Boba is probably better, but rarely shows up in shipments, so save 400 to buy him anytime he shows up, cause he's supposed to be third best, behind Adv Tie and Falcon. I've heard that Fives is strong. I haven't heard much about Rex, Geo Spy, or Sun Fac's ships. Imperial Tie is probably the weakest ship so far, mostly because it has 0 protection. I don't know yet if it ever gets protection, so that's really weird. Clone sergeant also seems really strong for being G4 level 50. I've also heard that Wedge's ship is a bit weak. Ahsoka is really strong.

So, in short, I'd focus on Biggs, JC, and Boba, but generally bring up the star level of everyone together because of the challenges. I also don't think it's a waste to spend currency on Maul, Rex, or SF. They're all really strong.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

iGestalt posted:

My Tournament broke. One of my three choices to fight was a group of level 55, 4 and 5* characters.

I'm level 84.

What.

Some people put joke defense squads

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Malgrin posted:

Imperial Tie is probably the weakest ship so far, mostly because it has 0 protection. I don't know yet if it ever gets protection, so that's really weird.

Tie Fighters don't have shields, that's kinda their thing. It has high evasion to supposedly compensate, but the jury is still out on whether it's a suitable replacement.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Ships I think are great and worth it:

Biggs (Easily refreshed taunt)
Jedi Consular (grants bonus protection to biggs)
Ahsoka (Dispell) (I don't have her, I just think her dispell seems rad)
Resistance X-Wing
First Order TIE

I'm not sure about the rest.

Slave 1 is for sure good, though, start farming it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
The first step for ships is to find 5 dark side ships you have pilots for. My list, in order of how good they seem to be: Vader (I think), sun fac, boba, maul, GS, everything else. Those should be your top priority to get the executrix to 5*, which means you need them at at least 4*. The ability mat challenge is hard too, so you need to have people and ships leveled up too. JC and ahoska are definitely super helpful, and Biggs is a good light side tank. Sadly the most farmable ship, plo koon, seems to be really really bad.

Tourney talk, I am in 18th place with 5100 points and 60k or so ally points left. Not sure I can break into the top 10, so I am going to try to not use my remaining points unless it seems like I can make it. Hopefully everyone else has used up all their points already