Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Captain Yossarian posted:

It's odd to me, a person who plays games basically 24/7 why you would try so hard to get someone to play with you. Like, my girlfriend doesn't really play games at all but she doesn't care if I play dark souls for like 6 hours. Is it called "being an adult"?

Is communicating with your s/o really THAT hard?

In my opinion as an old dude, video games are a goddamn menace to relationships. I'll just say that. If she seems like she doesn't care that you're playing Dark Souls for 6 hours, she really does but isn't at the point where it has become frustrating yet. Or maybe she doesn't give a poo poo, in which case, good on you. But be sure before you assume that. Sometimes a game can be the thing that couples can do together and enjoy their free time. But most commonly, it isn't. Spending time together is important, and 6 hours is a hell of a long stretch of time to spend in a computer cave if you have a job and a relationship.

A lot of guys just want to sit around in their boxers and play Dark Souls or Call of Duty for 8 hours. Some women want to do that, sure, but it's way, waaay less. Evidence is the number of complaints from these kinds of posts that revolve around "He doesn't pay any attention to me, just wants to play colladoody".

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Tom Gorman posted:

In my opinion as an old dude, video games are a goddamn menace to relationships. I'll just say that. If she seems like she doesn't care that you're playing Dark Souls for 6 hours, she really does but isn't at the point where it has become frustrating yet. Or maybe she doesn't give a poo poo, in which case, good on you. But be sure before you assume that. Sometimes a game can be the thing that couples can do together and enjoy their free time. But most commonly, it isn't. Spending time together is important, and 6 hours is a hell of a long stretch of time to spend in a computer cave if you have a job and a relationship.

A lot of guys just want to sit around in their boxers and play Dark Souls or Call of Duty for 8 hours. Some women want to do that, sure, but it's way, waaay less. Evidence is the number of complaints from these kinds of posts that revolve around "He doesn't pay any attention to me, just wants to play xbox games".

We've been dating a long time and I'm old, I'm sure she doesn't care. I appreciate the thoughts though :)

I guess I meant like if it DID bother her she would just tell me and we'd talk about it. Maybe discussion like that only comes with age or something? I guess she wouldn't sulk and stomp around about it and I don't care when she crafts and makes jewelry and stuff but if I did I would talk to her about it. Idgi

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Doctor J Off posted:

My (24f) husband (28m) got mad at me for not playing gta5 "correctly"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The half inch is an accurate measurement, but official forms don't really allow for measurements smaller than a full inch. I'm 5' 11" and 3/4 and have had my height put down on various official documents as 5' 11" or 6' depending on the whims of the bureaucrat, assuming they had to take my measurements. I just cycle between stating one height or the other on forms to keep the tradition alive.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Edgy 4channer calls his crush racist, is saddened to find crush hates him,
or

Me [12 M] with my crush [13 F] my would-be relationship got pretty ruined by my "clever" comment.

'TheMrGrimReaper' posted:

So I like this girl, but I'm going to refrain from using the word "crush" as much as possible.

Let me start right from where I left off. So my friend came up to me about a week after my last post telling me that this girl had blocked him on Instagram, and he asked me to DM her asking her why she did so. I went home and asked her, and she told me she didn't even recognize his name.

So I linked to his account (two mistakes here: I didn't realize he was private, and I didn't describe him or send her a picture) and she acted like she understood who he was and she said if she saw him the next day, she would unblock him. A few days later my friend asked me to ask her for an update, as she never unblocked him. I asked her, and she told me she still doesn't know who he was. So I finally decide to send her a picture of him, and she unblocked him (note: it took her over 24 hours to reply even though she had logged on to Instagram to post, it's a meme now between me and my friends).

But a few days later he told me she blocked him again. He said that he just DM'd her saying "Hi, how are you" and she said she was fine, then she asked him why he'd taken a screenshot. He never sent a screenshot and he has proved to have lied in the past so I either expect he did something unbelievably retarded, or the girl just has her reasons.

So then he and I thought it would be a funny joke to Tweet "SHE RACIST" while tagging him and the girl since he was black. This is not the first thing I've done on social media that makes me look like an idiot, believe me.

My friend #2 from school showed her the Tweet about a week ago. The next day, I decide to delete the Tweet.

Fast forward to a few days ago where the stars aligned perfectly for her to talk to me. She asked me why I had called her racist (what a nice way to talk to someone in person for the first time, also note this was two or three weeks later). I immediately look back down at my phone and after about five seconds finally say that it was friend #1's idea. As if that wasn't enough to ruin my sleep for the night, friend #3 comes along and, very loudly, say the name of my fake account and asking if it was mine while the girl it sitting a meter away (what good friends I have), and she looks up. Don't even ask what I did with that one fake account (I have two more), I already said I've done some retarded poo poo these past two years.

I thought we were pretty chill before this incident, we follow each other on Instagram and we added each other on Snapchat and such, and we had talked over the internet a few times, and at school, we minded our own business. But now I'm not sure, she has proved to me that she is not afraid to gently caress someone up, and I'm afraid of what might happen if I apologize. Well she hasn't blocked me yet, so that's good, I guess.

Obligatory #TeenageProblems note: I feel like I'm the one pleb sitting in the corner not talking to girls and they aren't talking to me. Also que the Navy Seals Copypasta.

tl;dr: I called the girl I liked racist over Twitter, she asked me why and I didn't know what to say, I don't know what to do now.

It's actually an update from a previous post, but the other post doesn't seem to have anything relevant other than "oh I am in love with this girl I've hardly spoken to" and "we're enrolled in a seriously sexist school"(?)

Ignis fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 29, 2016

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Ignis posted:

or

Me [12 M] with my crush [13 F] my would-be relationship got pretty ruined by my "clever" comment.

It's actually an update from a previous post, but the other post doesn't seem to have anything relevant other than "oh I am in love with this girl I've hardly spoken to" and "we're enrolled in a seriously sexist school"(?)

I love/hate that inside jokes amongst friends are now "memes."

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

We've been dating a long time and I'm old, I'm sure she doesn't care. I appreciate the thoughts though :)

I guess I meant like if it DID bother her she would just tell me and we'd talk about it. Maybe discussion like that only comes with age or something? I guess she wouldn't sulk and stomp around about it and I don't care when she crafts and makes jewelry and stuff but if I did I would talk to her about it. Idgi

I think the older we get the easier it is to figure this stuff out among ourselves. A 23 year old man and a 23 year old woman would have major issues if one person spent half the day playing games. With an older couple who has been together a while, everything is settled into a comfort zone and if something is wrong it's worth talking about.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ignis posted:

or

What the gently caress is this guys "would-be relationship"? Oh wait nvm he's 12, he probably still thinks speaking with a girl means you're dating her.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Tom Gorman posted:

I think the older we get the easier it is to figure this stuff out among ourselves. A 23 year old man and a 23 year old woman would have major issues if one person spent half the day playing games. With an older couple who has been together a while, everything is settled into a comfort zone and if something is wrong it's worth talking about.

In that case, being old loving rules 👌

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

quote:

Me [32F] with my Cousin [29F] and my Aunt [53F] Upset I sold 'family heirlooms' that were left to me
I was given some jewelry and antiques from my paternal grandmother when she passed. I am not a jewelry person and I really don't care for thick, masculine, dark antique furniture. I am not very close with my paternal side of the family, minus Grandma, and when she passed I didn't discuss what I got with them.
My parents know I got a lot of things from Grandma. They know we were pretty close, I would travel to see her three times a year even in college. We talked on the phone weekly.
Grandma had a lot of furniture left over from her husband. She didn't really like it that much, her personal taste tended to be a lot of lighter stuff. So when she passed, she left me a whole storage unit filled with 200+ year old furniture. Which was worth a lot of money. There were some things that were even older.
I kept four things from my inheritance: a painting Grandma made of us, an old Chinese vase, wedding ring set, and an antique grandfather clock. That is it. The rest was sold and the money used to pay off my student debt, buy a new car, and put into savings. I also went on a trip to visit my boyfriend while he is studying in Japan.
Grandma passed five months ago and I am still sad she is gone. However, I have not been visited by anyone on the paternal side since the funeral.
Cousin [29F] and Aunt [53F] were in town and asked to visit with me. I knew something was up because Cousin never really wants to hang out. We have never really gotten on. I do like Aunt though. We are still not close and I don't really make a point to keep in touch with them.
During this visit, they asked where I was keeping Grandma's furniture. I said that I had sold it and used the money towards building a life. I have never seen people fall apart quicker. I didn't realize they would feel a personal attachment to furniture that didn't belong to them and hadn't been used in more than 20 years. Cousin and Aunt both listed very specific items they were hoping to buy from me [for a few hundred bucks a pop]. I told them even if the furniture had been around, I wouldn't have let it go for 1/4 of it's asking price.
This has caused a rather big mess. Apparently selling furniture without informing family members is considered a huge problem and Aunt was horrified I don't seem concerned or upset. I am not, to be honest, and they wouldn't have been able to pay me the real cost of the furniture and jewelry. I got close to $55,000 for the whole lot.
I am just wondering if there is something I am missing. I don't really have a lot of connection to things, a few sentimental items maybe, but I think Cousin assumed she was getting [piece of furniture] in the will, didn't, then tracked down who did hoping they would give it to her. I am not sure, they left in tears, and I am just now getting calls from my parents telling me I shouldn't have sold these things without asking family first.
I am just not sure if they are entitled to be upset at me so much as just upset. Who knows. I don't. Please advise?
TL;DR Family upset I sold antiques and jewelry I was given to pay off debts and use for bills. I am at a loss because I don't feel they have a right to be furious at me... instead of just sad that they missed out?

Ugh all I did was liquidate a bunch of furniture that had been in the family for over 100 years, why are they so mad??

sout
Apr 24, 2014

also where is he quoting "clever" from. If anything, that seems like a dumb comment. Hmm.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm a short gamer guy how did I ever manage to date :qq:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

In that case, being old loving rules 👌

:hfive:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

sout posted:

also where is he quoting "clever" from. If anything, that seems like a dumb comment. Hmm.

This guy's username is TheMrGrimReaper, clearly he's an authority on cleverness

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Ugh all I did was liquidate a bunch of furniture that had been in the family for over 100 years, why are they so mad??

I dunno, Cousin and Aunt's reaction seems way over the top. It's furniture.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm with the poster here. They waited months to say something, tough poo poo on them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
On one hand she has the right to sell the stuff that's hers, but she could have given her family "right of first refusal" to buy them (presumably she didn't because that would require ~confrontation~). It doesn't really sound like aunt/cousin give too many fucks about her or her life though so I don't think she should really sweat it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

On the flip side, if grandma really did leave everything explicitly to her with no conditions then she can do whatever she wants with it. I mean maybe someone else wanted some of it but eh

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

LethalGeek posted:

I'm with the poster here. They waited months to say something, tough poo poo on them.

I don't think five months is that long, especially if they were in their own grieving process or didn't want to look like vultures. I'm big on sentimentality thought and know I'm going to lose out on a lot of family heirlooms because my other relatives will have dollar signs in their eyes.

Then again, my perspective in this comes from a personal story. My dad left me a custom car he built, very very nice car. Worth quite a bit of money. My stepmom and stepbrother had been treated pretty badly by my dads parents so I wanted to, in an act of kindness, give them the car. They turned around and sold it for five grand. No telling me, no saying hey, you're newly married, want a piece of this? Nothing. I was pretty devastated because I would have just kept it if I knew they were going to sell it.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

It sounds like grandma didn't even like the furniture either. Aunt and cousin were hoping to flip it themselves and now they're getting revenge.

I say furniture seller should just ride it out. What is she supposed to do, buy it back with the money she already spent? I don't understand the family guilt tripping her unless she stands to inherit even more from yet another still living grandma, in which case, maybe figure out why grandma doesn't want to give you poo poo?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Look I like playing gaming as much as the next guy, but I also realize that vidja games don't s ur d ......

.... yet :q:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tom Gorman posted:

In my opinion as an old dude, video games are a goddamn menace to relationships. I'll just say that. If she seems like she doesn't care that you're playing Dark Souls for 6 hours, she really does but isn't at the point where it has become frustrating yet. Or maybe she doesn't give a poo poo, in which case, good on you.

It's been 100% the driver of many of my female friends' decisions to break up with their boyfriends. It usually coincides with them seriously considering children, and realizing that they don't think their guy is going to compromise on his gaming time, so they would be taking on the entire responsibility of child care themselves.

It's cliche, but a lot of women who think they don't want children while in their early 20s are considering it by their late 20s, and it causes an immense change in how they evaluate partners.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Ignis posted:

or

I thought they were going to be in their 20s since you spoilered the ages. This is textbook adolescent though. Nothing too special about it.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Nooner posted:

Look I like playing gaming as much as the next guy, but I also realize that vidja games don't s ur d ......

Look mister, while Undertale might not physically give you head and swallow your uh uhhh, the stimulation from the character development and the unique combat mini games can produce the same effjhejytr

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tom Gorman posted:

Look mister, while Undertale might not physically give you head and swallow your uh uhhh, the stimulation from the character development and the unique combat mini games can produce the same effjhejytr

"what if by killing the monsters in jrpgs, YOU are the monster?!" -- amazing twist to people with less imagination than the creators of late 90s sprite comics

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pre-kid, I would play games for hours while my wife did her own thing. I don't think it's that uncommon for both members of a couple to have their own time-consuming hobby.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
all im saying is that Sans is a secret gryffindor, and the lizard lady is totes ravenclaw, am i (26F) right??

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

*looks down*

Thanks gibb3h!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my boyfriend (82M) disagrees, now considering an open relationship (tags: team edward compersion)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pick posted:

all im saying is that Sans is a secret gryffindor, and the lizard lady is totes ravenclaw, am i (26F) right??

Uhh she's clearly a fish lady, unfollowed

e: also a clear gryffindor herself, I can't even rn

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

it isn't a hobby if you play video games it for 6 hours, it's a second job

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bone app the teeth posted:

it isn't a hobby if you play video games it for 6 hours, it's a second job

eve online is my favorite video game. i've never played it and have never wanted to. i just read about it, because i am fascinated by politics and economics and the toxicity of libertarianism. also the fact that people pay money every month to be an accountant innnnn spaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccceeeeeeeeeeeee

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Despite what the media tell you, the embassy in Benghazi was attacked so as to disrupt the ongoing beating of war drums in a particularly heated eve online cold war.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also the remedial wedding story is a lovely piece of goon canon.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
What is it about people dying that just turn people into dicks?

When my grandpa passed. He had these 2 old rear end hunting guns no one wanted. One was a rifle and the other was an ancient shotgun that weren't taken care of AT ALL and were more or less left to dry rot in the garage. He offered these to EVERYONE multiple times before he passed offering them as heirlooms. Collectibles or poo poo, Hey get this professionally cleaned and maybe redo the stock and you got a working gun.

EVERYONE turned him down. Old man dies? Fist fight after the funeral about who was taking the guns. loving people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Despite what the media tell you, the embassy in Benghazi was attacked so as to disrupt the ongoing beating of war drums in a particularly heated eve online cold war.

but it made for a pretty amazing chapter in Hard Choices

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ZombieJesus posted:

haha whoever said r/short has some gold was pretty right:

"tall wife"

MAI BROBDINGNAG WAIFU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

What is it about people dying that just turn people into dicks?

When my grandpa passed. He had these 2 old rear end hunting guns no one wanted. One was a rifle and the other was an ancient shotgun that weren't taken care of AT ALL and were more or less left to dry rot in the garage. He offered these to EVERYONE multiple times before he passed offering them as heirlooms. Collectibles or poo poo, Hey get this professionally cleaned and maybe redo the stock and you got a working gun.

EVERYONE turned him down. Old man dies? Fist fight after the funeral about who was taking the guns. loving people.

STUFF. Gotta get the stuff. It's free. Gotta get that free stuff. gently caress you if you want to take my free stuff from me.

Yeah I don't know how to use it, whatever. It's mine.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Doctor J Off posted:

My (24f) husband (28m) got mad at me for not playing gta5 "correctly"

Eh, I get frustrated watching people play vidja "wrong" but as an adult I just make myself busy with other things and don't throw a hissy when my wife cant figure out how to parry in darksouls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Yeah I feel for the family, OP could have at least put word out that if you wanted something, you could make an offer. The OP wouldn't have had to take it. If my wife and I wanted a piece of furniture badly enough to offer "a few hundred bucks" for it, that means that we want that furniture really loving bad, since we are poor and that is a lot of money to us. If a few hundred dollars was 1/4 the selling price, that means the item or 2 they wanted was maybe $1200 to 2k, depending on specifics. That's not a life-changing difference in the dollar amount of her inheritance. These people found out who got it, traveled to her to speak in person, and were willing to pay at least a substantial fraction of the value, for one or two things they felt some attachment to. That's not acting entitled in my opinion. They were trying to buy an heirloom, for at least a substantial fraction of market value, from the person it got left to.

My granddad passed last year and I really really treasured the chance to get a few of his tools, since those were so integral to who he was, and I used to spend hours in his workshop. There was one exact screwdriver in particular I wanted, and if one of my cousins had gotten it, I was prepared to try and buy it from them. If they'd sold it before I'd had a chance to talk to them I would've been extremely upset.