Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Maw posted:

You probably won't read this until it's too late but I'd just skip the next billion pages buddy it's for your own good

Yes, friend. You're about to tread over troubled territory! Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol you are going to get ignored

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Maw posted:

You probably won't read this until it's too late but I'd just skip the next billion pages buddy it's for your own good

Edit one of your own posts from way back and add a warning.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

The golf swing mechanics weren't fidelitous enough for Chris's true vision of discovering quantum gravity in the scientific research module of your Endeavor.

I know how CIG is going to develop science research:

Discover Mine: $10
Discover New Planet: $5,000
Discover Iron: $5/deposit
Discover Titanium: $30/deposit
Discover Jump Point: $60 (lasts 36 hours)
Discover Science 1: $5
Discover Science 2: $30
Discover Science 3: $170

And so on and so on, for like 50 pages of Science. The more scientific pods you have the more money you have the honor of giving to CIG! :homebrew:

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Maw posted:

The Titanic posted:

Yes, friend. You're about to tread over troubled territory! Good luck!

This is just my secondary Read At Work Thread. So nbd.

Content: what's the best package to buy in with now??

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Computer Engineer here

please, call me Computer

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Really excited to see how CIG has managed to make an FPS in cryengine, and only years after it was first due for release.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

alphabettitouretti posted:

Really excited to see how CIG has managed to make an FPS in cryengine, and only weeks not years after it was first due for release.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Chairman Wao posted:

This is just my secondary Read At Work Thread. So nbd.

Content: what's the best package to buy in with now??

Here is my recommended package to start enjoying space flight right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I am sure that Star Marine will be as successful, engaging, and polished as every other CIG release and backers will set expectations accordingly.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Lladre posted:

Two tonight actually.

2.6 and the spectrum thing.

Three if you count that TheAgent was wrong.

Lladre is MOMA is Toast is Logic Sol is a rube

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am sure that Star Marine will be as successful, engaging, and polished as every other CIG release and backers will set expectations accordingly.

Has Chris promised wall running, grappling hooks and titans in his slow tactical vent crawling shooter yet?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

XK posted:

4.0 is going to be great.
I am pumped for 4.0 in autumn 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Computer engineer. I like that.

I loooove infinite scaling! But what's it connected to in the back? A single database? :ohdear:

How is data sent between servers of infinite scale? Which communicates with what based on what criteria? :ohdear:

How does a player go from infinite server to other server without losing data between them? How often does that happen? :ohdear:

You know all your favorite MMOs? The ones that are twitch shooters? With millions of players? You don't? :ohdear:

Don't worry, Computer Engineer man. I'm sure CIG hasn't thought of this either. :ohdear:

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

HycoCam posted:

Here is my recommended package to start enjoying space flight right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

Heh nice try on getting me to buy into a scam game :smuggo:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

I loooove infinite scaling! But what's it connected to in the back? A single database? :ohdear:

How is data sent between servers of infinite scale? Which communicates with what based on what criteria? :ohdear:

How does a player go from infinite server to other server without losing data between them? How often does that happen? :ohdear:

You know all your favorite MMOs? The ones that are twitch shooters? With millions of players? You don't? :ohdear:

Don't worry, Computer Engineer man. I'm sure CIG hasn't thought of this either. :ohdear:

Don't.
Just walk away.
It gave me a mini stroke.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The Titanic posted:

A bunch of people yelling at each other in a room also has infinite scaling.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So a backer was asking about the money remaining for development.

quote:

You and I shall never know. As if it would be a good idea for a private company to broadcast it's financial state. It wouldn't. Only spend what you can afford to lose and it's fine. You can then relax and just enjoy the ride. Time will tell. Don't listen to Derek. He's a special kind of stupid.

:negative:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A generic teamshooter that would have been impressive with these graphics maybe in 2011 will easily push another 5 Million fund festival, because Cult.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Man these guys are weasels. They closed my refund request ticket, saying the money had been issued on the 18th, and it hadn't. I emailed them back and the reply I got was that it had already been processed simultaneously with an email from paypal saying I had money from CIG. Glad I'm done with these fucks.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Really excited to see how CIG has managed to make an FPS in cryengine, and only years after it was first due for release.

The worst part of this is that the FPS portion is the component CIG is most likely to succeed at because I'm sure there's tons of tutorials out there for it.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

CIG already has the first iteration of their cryengine working

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

XK posted:

The golf swing mechanics weren't fidelitous enough for Chris's true vision of discovering quantum gravity in the scientific research module of your Endeavor.
The only quantum theory here is that Star Citizen is simultaneously a game or just a Findom Cult.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Chairman Wao posted:

Has Chris promised wall running, grappling hooks and titans in his slow tactical vent crawling shooter yet?

yes and also mechwarriors titans automated bipedal cannon arm men.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If only there was blog that would force them to release that financial info.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

quote:

Oh I dunno... maybe just have a speck of faith in the Chris(T) Roberts and his team??

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
If someone turns on the heat while you're crawling around in a vent will it kill your character?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
And what if you're inside a box in the vent?? Man this game is too complicated with all its fidelity

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Chairman Wao posted:

If someone turns on the heat while you're crawling around in a vent will it kill your character?

Most actions in star citizen end up with a player dying. So yes its in!

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
And when are they announcing the moba?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The things an obviously bullshit schedule can achieve.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Okay, not a computer engineer here but hear me out.

"Think about how many people connect to google every day. Bigger than the 1.6m backers? Yep." Now realise that all these connections are completely separate from each other and your connection gives no fucks about the other billion people searching at the same time.

Realise that the web-crawling part of search engines, the bit that keeps the information you are searching through up to date is still incredibly slow. Have fun shooting your gun and then waiting several days for that bit of the database to get updated to find out whether you hit anything or not.

Now realise that when you search for something it is a one off event with a very small amount of data, keep that in mind as you think what would probably happen if millions of people decided to search 20+ times per second. Oh look, you've got a rudimentary DDoS attack.

From my admittedly uneducated viewpoint the best way to have a massively scale-able multiplayer environment probably lies somewhere in P2P technology, The problem with that is you're relying on the client machines to validate everything they receive. Not only does that introduce a whole new workload for your machine to take care of when it's struggling to deal the thousands of entities and millions of polygons already but it also leaves the door wide open for cheaters to mess with what is and isn't happening in your game world.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
T_T

WHAT THE gently caress IS BIND CULLING

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i too am not a computer engineer

but i do enjoy a lot of videogames and let me tell you, there are a lot of much much better videogames than star citizen

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Wrecked Angle posted:

Okay, not a computer engineer here but hear me out.

:yayclod: will just do it

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Ah, the guys got a point. The biggest and most successful companies in the world all keep the state of their financial affairs a closely guarded secret... ohno wait, the other one, the one where they make them public so that people can make an informed decision about the companies health. Silly me.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Amarcarts posted:

Full burn!
Kickin it to overdrive!
Full burn!
Soon I'll be by your siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide
And you'll seeeeeeeeeee
The only truth in this game, is ASD

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

There's actually a whole spectrum of good news for tonight.

You've given up on Star Citizen and are going to dedicate yourself to playing Elite on the ZX Spectrum? Good call.

• Locked thread