Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Zebulon posted:

I can't think of anyone worth knowing who wouldn't watch an episode of May and Simmons beating the poo poo out of an out of control Black Friday crowd.

"Agent May, hold them off for just a minute longer, I'm going to build a force field generator out of a toaster, a curling iron, and this flat screen TV!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Worst part is that it's going to be back for a measly two episodes, and then off again for gently caress knows how long.

Oh yeah, ABC, I'll definitely commit to your new Inhumans series. You definitely can't balls up the airing of an eight episode season. -___-

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Have people never actually watched network TV before? A season lasts something like 38 weeks, a show has 22-23 episodes, and somehow every year people complain that their show isn't on every week.

Complaining that the system is stupid is fine, complaining the the network has it in for their show beacause there are breaks makes you look like a moron.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

A break is one thing.

drat near a month between episodes is another.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Complaining that the system is stupid is fine, complaining the the network has it in for their show beacause there are breaks makes you look like a moron.

It's not that the network isn't showing the show regularly, though putting it on a month long break during the climax of an arc is pretty lovely. The bigger problem is that the show's been scheduled to skip nearly the entirety of the November sweeps period, which does indicate a substantive lack of faith on the network's part.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

seaborgium posted:

"Agent May, hold them off for just a minute longer, I'm going to build a force field generator out of a toaster, a curling iron, and this flat screen TV!"

"That's a real good force field generator, Simmons." "I know, and thanks to this sale the components were all so affordable!" Cue a wink at the camera, cut to Phil just whistling as he orders online instead.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doggles posted:

Agents of SHIELD s4e06 - The Hand Turkey

Coulson's hand gets stuck in one of the turkeys he was stuffing for SHIELD's Thanksgiving corporate event. After going to find help fishing it out, he can't remember which turkey it's in.

Hijinks ensue.

This culminates in Director Mace eating it while complaining how crunchy the turkey is this year and you know it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Floppychop posted:

A break is one thing.

drat near a month between episodes is another.

Especially as it is pretty much guaranteed to go on another break after 1-2 episodes because of Christmas/the new year.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Start-stop scheduling is part of network TV. Just be glad it's a not a show that picks up immediately every episode with this schedule like the first few seasons of 24.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

muscles like this! posted:

Especially as it is pretty much guaranteed to go on another break after 1-2 episodes because of Christmas/the new year.

Yeah, this is what I hate. Seasons are designed with logical breaks, and this constant stop-and-start is not in service of that. If it's a 22-episode season, why not run 11-week blocks in the Fall and Spring? A huge "midseason break" is fine with me if the actual contained runs on either side are coherent. When it stops for no reason for a few weeks, then runs an episode or two before stopping again, I lose any sense of plot momentum and honestly stop watching half the time. (This has happened in past seasons, where I just decided to wait for Netflix. I'm sure ABC would vastly prefer the ad revenue.)

You can discount it as a minority opinion of nerds with irrelevant priorities, but the general audience is even less likely to recall the ongoing serial plot of a show when it's scheduled so erratically. It harms viewership, definitely.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
As more people get used to DVRs, and Cable and even Netflix style release schedules, this kind of bullshit feels more and more outdated, inconvenient and annoying.

I think Lucifer is the only network show I've watched in the past several years where I don't end up hating the network for going out of their way to try and make me stop watching their programming. But it's only in season 2 yet, so I'm sure it will happen eventually.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Netflix model certainly makes these breaks more noticeable, but AoS's schedule has been ridiculous even by network TV standards. We all watch other shows like Flash and Supergirl week in and week out without any major hitches in its release dates; sure, the winter break is coming up, but that's after nine or ten straight weeks of consistent episodes, capping off with a major mid-season crossover finale. By contrast Agents of SHIELD skipped a week after its second episode of the season. Then it practically takes a whole month off between 11/1 and 11/29. And then it'll probably take another break after two more episodes. That's egregious by any standards.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Actually the other network show I watch is Bobs Burgers, and it's been pretty like AoS this month, for the past seven years. (Fox is literally the worst)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

The Netflix model certainly makes these breaks more noticeable, but AoS's schedule has been ridiculous even by network TV standards. We all watch other shows like Flash and Supergirl week in and week out without any major hitches in its release dates; sure, the winter break is coming up, but that's after nine or ten straight weeks of consistent episodes, capping off with a major mid-season crossover finale. By contrast Agents of SHIELD skipped a week after its second episode of the season. Then it practically takes a whole month off between 11/1 and 11/29. And then it'll probably take another break after two more episodes. That's egregious by any standards.

You're comparing the network model and CW model. Even though CW does breaks too, they don't do them like a normal network. The schedule for this show has been pretty consistent with other network shows I've watched this season. The only reason it feels different this year is because there's no Agent Carter in the middle so that this show doesn't have to have the normal breaks other network shows have.

This show had a one week break after the second episode because of the debate. Then had a three week break with one of those weeks being for an awards show and the other an election. That's not really that bad at all.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 24, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Supergirl had the same schedule last year, when it was on CBS. How to Get Away With Murder had ten straight uninterrupted weeks too, just like it always does.

Clearly everyone should just watch shows that I watch. :kiddo:

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

The November break is the only unusual one, and that is solely because the ratings are so terrible that it made financial sense for the network to air something else during sweeps.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Supergirl had the same schedule last year, when it was on CBS. How to Get Away With Murder had ten straight uninterrupted weeks too, just like it always does.

Clearly everyone should just watch shows that I watch. :kiddo:

Might want to look at Supergirl again. It came back from winter break for one episode and then immediately took a week off after being back for only one episode. That's the kind of wacky stuff that happens with network scheduling. Plus it was a slightly shorter season and because of other shows CBS had it ended a whole month before most broadcast shows did in May. How To Get Away With Murder is also a special case because it's a shorter run show.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Adventure Time just had a 4 month break and then slid their two part season finale into their schedule without much fanfare so a bunch of people missed it. The people who did manage to catch it were all "gently caress I don't remember what happened last episode back in July, what the gently caress is going on?"

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Adventure Time just had a 4 month break and then slid their two part season finale into their schedule without much fanfare so a bunch of people missed it. The people who did manage to catch it were all "gently caress I don't remember what happened last episode back in July, what the gently caress is going on?"

Yeah, but that poo poo is typical for cartoon network, hair-pullingly annoying, but typical.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I sat down sometime this week like "I'm gonna get caught up on Shield I'm sure there's an episode or two I haven't watched..." but there were no episodes I hadn't watched :(

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I barely remember what happened ever on these shows when they come back and I've already forgotten to tune in to them by then or I don't want to deal with the constant breaks, so I don't watch the rest of the episodes until like mid April and by then my viewing doesn't mean poo poo to whatever stupid system is in place that judges viewer count, not that it would anyway but still, I can't help but feel that I'm not alone in this regard. I mean maybe not on this forum where people are still posting about the show after it's been off for almost an entire month.

There are definitely a few netflix shows that I would've dropped if they were on a week to week schedule but continued watching because "gently caress it why not? the eps are right there at my fingertips and I got nothing else to do at 1am.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 24, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If it makes anyone feel better SHIELD might be doing worse than last year, but they're actually an improvement over the Tuesday 10pm slot last year.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What was in the slot last year?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wicked City and then it got canceled and replaced with What Would You Do and then Kings and Prophets.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I barely remember what happened ever on these shows when they come back

I'm expecting the "Previously, on Agents of SHIELD..." segment next week to be about 15 minutes long

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm expecting the "Previously, on Agents of SHIELD..." segment next week to be about 15 minutes long

Hopefully with special guest star Michael Pena.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Nick Cage as Johnny Blaze doing a full explanation of the season so far in the same style as the dude from Ant-Man.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Zebulon posted:

Nick Cage as Johnny Blaze doing a full explanation of the season so far in the same style as the dude from Ant-Man. his character from Vampire's Kiss.

:colbert:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Zebulon posted:

Nick Cage as Johnny Blaze doing a full explanation of the season so far in the same style as the dude from Ant-Man.

This would be amazing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

OB_Juan posted:

This would be amazing.

"I know a guy :stare:"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

I'M A GHOSTRIAAA I'M A GHOSTRIAAA

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zebulon posted:

By "the dude" you mean Michael Peņa?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Been really behind this season, has it got better after the boring ghosts episode?

Rirse fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 30, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rirse posted:

Been really behind this season, has it got better after the boring ghosts episode?

I can't remember anymore, it's been so long

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I forget, who's this show about? Luke Cage?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Rirse posted:

All the episodes this season have been the boring ghosts episode imho. I just cannot get invested in any of the non-robot plot thus far.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pyroi posted:

I forget, who's this show about? Luke Cage?

its obviously about Satan

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

its obviously about Satan

It's actually about ethics in matter creation.

I'll show myself out.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

FINALLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Hoo drat