Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dan Hawkins has turned down the offer from Butch Davis to be OC at FIU and according to Brett McMurphy is the new head coach of Cal Davis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
As a 35K strong state school in NorCal, I bet UC Davis has a pretty rad intramurals program. Dan, you should look into it, maybe poach some of its top flag football talent

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

R.D. Mangles posted:

Coach O Playbook

Chapter 1: Recruitin'

Me and ol' Slinky were diggin' around near the ol' abandoned shack over there and I said to him Slinky we can't go there, we was told not to go there by my maw, she said eddie i don't care if you're the size of Driskill Mountain because you are a big boy there, but you stay 'way from that shack, eddie, that's not for you, but Slinky wouldn't hear it he just said to me you know what's in that shack, probably a bunch of dead ol' alligators or a rusted out airboat engine which wasn't fair because he knew i was collectin' 'em, i had dozens of airboat motors rustin' all over the lawn and paw would come by and say ed you get those cleaned up outta here now or i'll whup up on you in that hamburger drill and there won't be no coach telling me he needs you next saturday do you hear me boy, so i said fine we can take a little peek over there, the metal had warped and rusted over the years and there was a curled up corner and i tried to get into it but it cut up my back pretty bad, like a metal nettle just carvin' it up, bleedin' all through the shirt and i said slinky you dumb ol' bastard i'm gonna get whupped up real good, my mom's gonna get the wadin' boots and but i didn't hear anything from him, slink i said, slink you dumb possum quit messin' around in there but i didn't hear nothin' more and i couldn't get in the shack because i was too big and i said slink i'm too huge

I have burst out laughing like 4 times this morning just thinking about this.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

Oh jesus gently caress Lane

You must understand that I wouldn't hire him. It just seems like something that would happen.

Fuentes at Virginia Tech would be up on my list, although I'd rather see how he does over three or four years to remove the Charlie Weis effect from his W/L record.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lane Kiffin, the CFB equivalent of Josh McDaniels, is essentially a game of Russian roulette that will eventually be started by some program/team willing to take that chance.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm convinced the McElwain to Oregon rumor is something McElwain started to get a raise

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
So if Helfrich is getting fired, is he someone who would be considered a major prize as an OC?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

So if Helfrich is getting fired, is he someone who would be considered a major prize as an OC?

Hard to say. He was pretty middling pre-Oregon but his Oregon offenses have generally been good. Some of that was that he inherited Mariota, but he's mostly kept Kelly's system intact and they were still really good last year when Adams was healthy. They took a step back this year, but offense definitely was not the issue with the team and he was starting a freshman QB for most of the year. I think he'd be worth a shot as OC. He'll also probably get some mid-major HC looks, I would think.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm convinced the McElwain to Oregon rumor is something McElwain started to get a raise

Hell, he's been to back to back SEC championships games, somehow.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Thermos H Christ posted:

Haha! No. He was Colorado's offensive coordinator during the nightmare Dan Hawkins years. Easily the worst offensive coordinator we've ever had. He drove us crazy with his lack of any cohesive offensive plan. Don't be fooled by his offensive coordinator stint at Oregon, Chip Kelly was the offensive coordinator and then Scott Frost was. He is completely incompetent as an offensive coordinator

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

On the other hand he likes that part of the country and things are about to get really ugly at UF based on how he has recruited and who he is losing to graduation. Might be time to sell high on "back to back SEC East titles" and move to a colder seat.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Lasagna Pilot posted:

On the other hand he likes that part of the country and things are about to get really ugly at UF based on how he has recruited and who he is losing to graduation. Might be time to sell high on "back to back SEC East titles" and move to colder seat.

That's kind of what scares me.

Im conflicted. He has won the east in two catastrophically bad years for the division. But he has also done it with really bad offensive personnel. The problem is that we really don't know how good of a coach he is.

His recruiting has not been great by any stretch. The issue is that if he leaves now it sets us back a number of years and sets us afloat in a thin coaching prospect year.

Pride makes me think he doesn't leave but you make a valid point. He could move on for more cash while his stock is theoretically high.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston's looking into Art Briles. I wish I was kidding.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Korranus posted:

The moral repugnancy aside, there's no way Houston won't have a ton of assets dedicated to making sure Briles never sits face to face with an assault (sexual or otherwise) victim ever again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

David Bailiff confirmed staying with Rice for 2017.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Mike the Tiger's Crying

Little bit late but Mike is dead :smith:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

That Works posted:

Little bit late but Mike is dead :smith:

He's with Harambe

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Helfrich still had his job, last I checked. Buying him out (and his staff) and then buying out a big name coach from another school would be expensive, even with Nike money. I'm not sure that McElwain is worth it.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

He's with Harambe

https://www.reddit.com/r/Harambe/comments/57266b/a_tiger_bro_has_fallen_rip_mike/

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

LLCoolJD posted:

Helfrich still had his job, last I checked. Buying him out (and his staff) and then buying out a big name coach from another school would be expensive, even with Nike money. I'm not sure that McElwain is worth it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Harambe/comments/57266b/a_tiger_bro_has_fallen_rip_mike/

Tupac ain't dead tho

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

MourningView posted:

Hard to say. He was pretty middling pre-Oregon but his Oregon offenses have generally been good. Some of that was that he inherited Mariota, but he's mostly kept Kelly's system intact and they were still really good last year when Adams was healthy. They took a step back this year, but offense definitely was not the issue with the team and he was starting a freshman QB for most of the year. I think he'd be worth a shot as OC. He'll also probably get some mid-major HC looks, I would think.

I have to disagree with some of this. Last year was a preview of what this year turned into. Adams was amazing when healthy but that was due almost entirely due to his scrambling skills and ability to throw on the run - which was needed a lot. The way I saw it, good play calling should negate the need to scramble as much as he had to. He had a decent o-line, but the wrong plays were getting called. That's why they struggled with Lockie in, who has been in the system long enough that he knew how to play - he just didn't have the talent to improvise like Adams.

The offense is definitely an issue, it's just overshadowed by bad defense. Offensive stats have been slowly (though much more rapidly this year) declining since Helfrich took over. I don't know what that means about his abilities as an OC but I wonder how much control Chip gave him and how much control he now gives Lubick.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

pillsburysoldier posted:

The moral repugnancy aside, there's no way Houston won't have a ton of assets dedicated to making sure Briles never sits face to face with an assault (sexual or otherwise) victim ever again.

It's sad that this is more likely than Briles running a program where no assaults happen.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Korranus posted:

I'd much rather have Sumlin back. And I don't want Sumlin back.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Spacebump posted:

It's sad that this is more likely than Briles running a program where no assaults happen.

What's really sad is that basically nobody can do that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/803795220185759744

Well, here we go.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

dphi posted:

I have to disagree with some of this. Last year was a preview of what this year turned into. Adams was amazing when healthy but that was due almost entirely due to his scrambling skills and ability to throw on the run - which was needed a lot. The way I saw it, good play calling should negate the need to scramble as much as he had to. He had a decent o-line, but the wrong plays were getting called. That's why they struggled with Lockie in, who has been in the system long enough that he knew how to play - he just didn't have the talent to improvise like Adams.

The offense is definitely an issue, it's just overshadowed by bad defense. Offensive stats have been slowly (though much more rapidly this year) declining since Helfrich took over. I don't know what that means about his abilities as an OC but I wonder how much control Chip gave him and how much control he now gives Lubick.

I could write a bunch Helfrich's (and the rest of the Ducks AD at this point) failings.

You're 100% right about how the Ducks without Vernon were atrocious. Helfrich's recruiting in general has been very poor and his success was 100% on the back of Chip recruited players.

Signifcantly, Helfrich gets out-coached regularly and he lacks most of what made Chip Chip on offense. For the person who asked, hiring him to get some of that Chip magic would be pointless. Chip was great at diagnosing weaknesses and adjusting accordingly, something Helfrich struggles to do. Just as important: Chip actually got the team moving quickly enough to capitalize on miscues and mistakes. Under Helfrich the offense is taking almost twice as long to get set on average and there's little urgency shown by coaches or players. poo poo this is the first year I've seen the Ducks consistently get caught unready by other teams running tempo. For all the flash and dazzle and 2 point conversions and poo poo, the Chip offense worked mostly because when you can actually get lined up in 8-11 seconds, you can run the exact same play three times before anyone could figure out and communicate to the field how to adjust accordingly.

E: Oregon's top recruit just decommitted and speculation is that several others will likely follow as that guy talked a bunch of them into committing. People are pissed af at the AD for being AWOL.

And just like that: Helfrich is fired

quote:

Another report from Texas said UO is "kicking the tires" on Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, the former Oakland Raiders, Tennessee and USC coach.

lmao kill me now

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 30, 2016

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18168683/mark-helfrich-oregon-ducks-coach

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/803797429904519168

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Frost after one year? lmao

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Getting ground into fine particles by FSU and Alabama in consecutive weeks isn't going to raise McElwain's profile.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

LLCoolJD posted:

Getting ground into fine particles by FSU and Alabama in consecutive weeks isn't going to raise McElwain's profile.

hey we just dropped 10mil to get rid of Helfrich, anything to get us a bargain at this point is a good thing.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Dana Holgerson is a strange candidate to consider but that sounds hilariously interesting.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Frost to Oregon and Strong to UCF would make me pretty happy

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

http://www.goducks.com/news/2016/11/29/football-program-getting-new-direction.aspx

Did you guys read the press release? It's the most negative announcement like this that I've ever read lol.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Maxwells Demon posted:

Dana Holgerson is a strange candidate to consider but that sounds hilariously interesting.

Yeah they were good this year but the rest of his time there has been pretty underwhelming. Seems like he might want out though. That whole list is pretty meh

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The biggest problem with any of those candidates is gonna be cruitin'. If you bring in any one of them you're going to want to make sure you get some assistants that can close the deal on high schoolers nationally.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Fleck is a crazy good recruiter

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

If they hired Mac I will just feel confused.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

Fleck is a crazy good recruiter

Who doesn't want to row?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
It's going to be Chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Holg is just loving weird in that Tony Gibson was a crappy DB coach who somehow is really good at coaching against the Big XII spread. Almost as weird as Fleck taking the worst OC of all time in Kirk CIarrocca and somehow making him non terrible.

• Locked thread