Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

he won't be. this is a power move to humiliate romney

Well that's a light consolation prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

Are those earnings leading to better pay?

The thought just struck me is that supposedly we are supposed to believe that at least 50 million people voted for Donald Trump because they think that this man, who has never actually worked a wage paying job in his life will create good paying jobs. Donald Trump doesn't have a clue what a good paying job is. Like has anyone asked Donald Trump this question? Just a simple how much per hour/per year would you say a good paying job is.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

And aren't half of them still being laid off?

We're going to see poo poo like this constantly, and be expected to grovel in gratitude.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This is the ultimate negging.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Nucleic Acids posted:

We're going to see poo poo like this constantly, and be expected to grovel in gratitude.

gently caress, I bet the deal is for less than 2 years and they'll still close the plant anyway.

Or take a page from Trump's book and move the plant anyway and tell Trump to suck it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

Every job that remains in the US is thanks to Trump.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Wondering about the implications of this news being shared by @fivefifths.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wonder why :newt: isn't in the running for Sec State. I'd feel slightly more at ease if he got the job as well.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wonder why :newt: isn't in the running for Sec State. I'd feel slightly more at ease if he got the job as well.

Personally I'd rather not have Newt "Estonia is a suburb of Petrograd" Gingrich as SoS.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This is the new greatest picture ever. I want it on the cover of history textbooks years from now. I want it on newspapers tomorrow. I want it as my computer background. I want to tape it to the inside of my eyelids.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Stay Classy Trump

He nominated KT McFarland as Deputy of National Security , this woman did the following :

http://nymag.com/guides/summer/17407/index2.html

quote:

KT’s father worked the night shift as a train dispatcher in Madison, Wisconsin. The eldest of four, KT had a brother here in New York City who had followed her to George Washington University and then worked as an analyst. “Ummmm. He was sick and then he died,” is all she would say when pressed. Michael Troia had aids; his obituary listed three “companions.”

KT, the moderate in this race, couldn’t abide his sexual orientation. Shortly after she discovered Mike had aids, she wrote her parents lengthy, angry, almost Gothic letters in which she outed her brother, blamed her father for his troubles as well as those of her and her other siblings, and cut off contact with her parents. “Have you ever wondered why I have never had anything to do with Mike and have never let my daughters see him although we live only fifteen minutes away from each other?” she wrote. “He has been a lifelong homosexual, most of his relationships brief, fleeting one-night stands.” The father’s behavior had surfaced for McFarland as recovered memory. She said a shrink put her up to writing the letter; reached for comment, her mother, Edith Troia—KT has since made up with her parents—denied the account. “Wouldn’t that make a great book?” she said. “Please be kind. You could be casting dark shadows on this whole race.”

What the gently caress

That's your brother.

What the gently caress.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
These people being floated for cabinet positions reminds me of how most of Hitler's inner circle were also gently caress ups before gaining power.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

quote:

Carrier did not elaborate on the terms of the deal, but it is on the record, as are most other major multinational businesses, as wanting to see a cut in corporate tax rates, especially as it applies to cash earned overseas.

The fate of the more than 400 remaining jobs in Indianapolis was not immediately clear. Nor was it clear whether the 700 jobs at the Huntington plan would be saved.

The company planned to send that work to Mexico starting next year, a move that would have saved it $65 million a year in labor costs, according to the union that represents the workers.

United Technologies is a leading defense contractor that benefits from billions of dollars in federal spending, so it needs to maintain good relations with the incoming Trump administration.

United Technologies collects about $5.6 billion in annual revenue from U.S. government contracts, according to company filings, which is equal to about 10% of its overall revenue. The government also pays for nearly $1.5 billion of the company's annual research and development spending.

i like keeping jobs in america as much as the next guy, but when it comes to defense contractors that accept billions of dollars of federal aid and then outsource work to evade taxes, i think it would be best for their management to relocate six feet under

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Hollismason posted:

Stay Classy Trump

He nominated KT McFarland as Deputy of National Security , this woman did the following :

http://nymag.com/guides/summer/17407/index2.html

What the gently caress

That's your brother.

What the gently caress.

Things like this make me very sad since that is obviously Pence at work. While Trump's white nationalism is vile it's a damned sight better than Pence's W-style religious neoconservativism.

If you have to choose between Huey Long and W, you take Huey Long. But Trump can't even do populism right. It's all the old David Brooks and Krugman NYT editorials from when W won and how maybe liberty and equality have had their chance so it's time for fraternity to have its place in the sun all over again.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

trump: so what are your qualifications for this position?

romney: Пожалуйста, подождите, пока мы не сообщим вам, что делать.

trump: (sweating) drat, this guy is good.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Laughing at this because Trump has this big loving bowl in front of him and Mitt has to take off the shared plate for his appetizer.

It's a salad don't be weird.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

These people being floated for cabinet positions reminds me of how most of Hitler's inner circle were also gently caress ups before gaining power.

From a failed chicken farmer to head of the SS was indeed a big leap.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

QuoProQuid posted:

romney: Такого как Путин

FTFY

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

QuoProQuid posted:

https://translate.google.com/#auto/...%B0%D1%82%D1%8C

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hollismason posted:

What the gently caress

That's your brother.

What the gently caress.
there's a really sick reason why she cared so much

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Not sure if it's been talked about yet but apparently the top 0.1% of American households now hold the same amount of wealth as the bottom 90%.

What the Christ man!? :psyduck:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

So every corporate rear end in a top hat in the nation easily swindling a much cash as possible for next to nothing being lauded as the work of a master statesman is what will pass for good news these next four years? And you know that his dumbass supporters are dancing in the streets over this since they lack any form of critical thinking.

Shbobdb posted:

Things like this make me very sad since that is obviously Pence at work. While Trump's white nationalism is vile it's a damned sight better than Pence's W-style religious neoconservativism.

If you have to choose between Huey Long and W, you take Huey Long. But Trump can't even do populism right. It's all the old David Brooks and Krugman NYT editorials from when W won and how maybe liberty and equality have had their chance so it's time for fraternity to have its place in the sun all over again.

Yup. Trump has managed to set the bar for his accomplishments so low that not spitting in a black person's face will be treated as the height of civility by the lickspittel media because that's the only way to get access. This is going to be so much worse than we ever imagined.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

readingatwork posted:

Not sure if it's been talked about yet but apparently the top 0.1% of American households now hold the same amount of wealth as the bottom 90%.

Return to the gilded age. Soon the zombie of Teddy Roosevelt shall arise and bring justice.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

readingatwork posted:

The next big financial crash is going to be spectacular, I bet :lol:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

readingatwork posted:

So long as most Americans have some form of distraction, this will continue. I honestly think that nothing short of being completely ruined will be enough to open the people's eyes.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

Return to the gilded age. Soon the zombie of Teddy Roosevelt shall arise and bring justice.
it is entirely possible that the reincarnation of FDR is not in this country and instead we get a reichstag fire

Geostomp posted:

So long as most Americans have some form of distraction, this will continue. I honestly think that nothing short of being completely ruined will be enough to open the people's eyes.
meet america in the late 1920s, where literally all the wealth was held by the 1% and people were in constant denial over their increasingly bad situation

what's old is new again

buckleup for Dust Bowl II: The Dustening where not only california suffers drought, but also the bible belt

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

readingatwork posted:

I've been talking about how the real class war is against the ultra rich for a while.

Dekulakization is the most toxic part of the left wing circular firing squad.

But then again (as I am so often reminded) I'm not a real Communist because I earn too much.

I believe material success is something beyond individual control. Some people get lucky. Some people don't. The ideal is to create a system where everyone is truly equal. The pragmatic solution is to try and create and equality of opportunity.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it is entirely possible that the reincarnation of FDR is not in this country and instead we get a reichstag fire

meet america in the late 1920s, where literally all the wealth was held by the 1% and people were in constant denial over their increasingly bad situation

what's old is new again

buckleup for Dust Bowl II: The Dustening where not only california suffers drought, but also the bible belt

What would a modern Reichstag fire be? I doubt we'd actually see the Capitol building burn.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

what's old is new again

I've been wondering lately what the best tactics for survival were for somebody living through massive economic depression and fascism.

No reason, really. Just wondering.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Crain posted:

What would a modern Reichstag fire be? I doubt we'd actually see the Capitol building burn.
we had a prototype in the form of 9/11 and that one hosed up national security and destroyed most government accountability, now imagine another one happens

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I've been wondering lately what the best tactics for survival were for somebody living through massive economic depression and fascism.

No reason, really. Just wondering.
did you know post-apocalyptic fiction was also popular during the 1910s and 1920s

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

what's old is new again

FDR is not a national treasure but a treasure for all man.

Also the droughts caused the TN fire and I'm sure that's only the beginning.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

rscott posted:

The thought just struck me is that supposedly we are supposed to believe that at least 50 million people voted for Donald Trump because they think that this man, who has never actually worked a wage paying job in his life will create good paying jobs. Donald Trump doesn't have a clue what a good paying job is. Like has anyone asked Donald Trump this question? Just a simple how much per hour/per year would you say a good paying job is.

Honestly I don't even know. My inclination is that money stops being a constant source of anxiety at around 110 grand per year in the Midwest. Probably tack on another 30% on the coasts.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

And every CEO with two neurons to rub together will do the following:

CEO I want to lay off 5,000 people.
CEO Announces: I will lay off 10,000 people
Donald: Here is a huge set of tax breaks and subsidies. Don't leave
CEO Announces: After talking with Trump we've managed to save 5,000 jobs!
CEO lays off 5000 people

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

we had a prototype in the form of 9/11 and that one hosed up national security and destroyed most government accountability, now imagine another one happens

I had a Crit Theory seminar two days after the election. Literally the first words out of my German professor were "Hope no airplanes fall out of the sky in the next four years." Our whole seminar that day was pretty much shooting the poo poo about the Reichstag fire, what fascism means, free elections, voter ID laws etc. I think we all read Derrida for that day, but I honestly can't remember because I'm not sure we ever really got to him.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

alpha_destroy posted:

I had a Crit Theory seminar two days after the election. Literally the first words out of my German professor were "Hope no airplanes fall out of the sky in the next four years." Our whole seminar that day was pretty much shooting the poo poo about the Reichstag fire, what fascism means, free elections, voter ID laws etc. I think we all read Derrida for that day, but I honestly can't remember because I'm not sure we ever really got to him.
he's getting that creeping feeling you get when history happens all over again only you're not sure if you get political solomon to save you from barbaric corporatist fascism

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

readingatwork posted:

Exactly what Trump is thinking, but his tax cuts should help transfer over the remaining 10%.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

My Russian is super rusty so at first I thought this was «Отче! прости им, ибо не знают, что делают». Which I also like as a possible Romney quote here.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Xae posted:

And every CEO with two neurons to rub together will do the following:

CEO I want to lay off 5,000 people.
CEO Announces: I will lay off 10,000 people
Donald: Here is a huge set of tax breaks and subsidies. Don't leave
CEO Announces: After talking with Trump we've managed to save 5,000 jobs!
CEO lays off 5000 people

#MAGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

• Locked thread