Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

It's taken me three games before I did a caestus run and man I'm loving it. Stunlocking the Abyss watchers in a corner and punching them until they die feels great. I was already a fan of Perseverance too.

Any of the other fist weapons any good? I'd like some damage type variety. There's like three slash/bleed ones though.

The Dark Hand does utterly absurd damage for the first half of the game. Claws have some potential if you rub Rouge on them (Manikin Claws are probably better because of Quickstep).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

All the first weapons have their own niche. Demon fists are more PvP because the weapon art is a roll catch. I was doing a crow talon run with the wolf curved sword.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

While regular enemies will have that bitch 360 if a guy reaches over me sending my dodge into a literally random direction and killing me

Yeah. That poo poo is most ridiculous on the Anor Londo stairs and the Snowy Mountain Pass. I'll have a Silver Knight charge me, and as soon as it passes by my flank, the camera will cut one way then immediately swing the opposite direction and I'll eat a blessed long sword or just roll off the side of the stairs.

On an unrelated note, Rapport makes a lot of Ariandel piss easy, especially in the aforementioned Snowy Mountain. :v:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. That poo poo is most ridiculous on the Anor Londo stairs and the Snowy Mountain Pass. I'll have a Silver Knight charge me, and as soon as it passes by my flank, the camera will cut one way then immediately swing the opposite direction and I'll eat a blessed long sword or just roll off the side of the stairs.

On an unrelated note, Rapport makes a lot of Ariandel piss easy, especially in the aforementioned Snowy Mountain. :v:

For a moment I thought you were saying you could Rapport Friede to attack Ariandel.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Clorathy Ring + Deep Protection + Grass Crest Shield + Pickaxe WA all stack, right?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

AlternateNu posted:

Clorathy Ring + Deep Protection + Grass Crest Shield + Pickaxe WA all stack, right?
add Power Within too while you're at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_73G3suLkko

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Why are milwood knights as strong as judex gundyr?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Exodee posted:

add Power Within too while you're at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_73G3suLkko

This was a really cool vid. I already have a pick axe character. Time to update it a bit.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

What's the general levelling plan for a sorcery character? So far I've put almost nothing into str / dex and working towards getting int / attune / stamina / health to 20. After that... pump all to 30 then push int to 60?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

cougar cub posted:

What's the general levelling plan for a sorcery character? So far I've put almost nothing into str / dex and working towards getting int / attune / stamina / health to 20. After that... pump all to 30 then push int to 60?

Health no higher than 27. Personally for a caster I wouldn't go above 20 before I have 60 in my damage stat (or 30/30 for a pyro). You don't need health if you're invisible and twenty feet away from your enemy. Stamina doesn't need to go very high either since most spells don't cost much. But your first priority is getting enough intelligence to use your spells of choice (18 for GHSA, then 28 for greatsword, then 40 for SS), if you have enough then level attunement until you have as many spells as you want, then level intelligence some more. You don't need 60 until you hit the Archives but it doesn't hurt to get it earlier, as long as you're satisfied with your other stats. Don't bother putting much in strength or dexterity, you can RawASS your way through the early game with just a couple levels to meet requirements. Vigor and endurance are just gravy.

Alternatively for a safer but lower-damage start, you can pump vigor to 20 or 27 right away and then start in on intelligence and attunement. RawASS is good enough that you won't have too much trouble, but it means you won't be doing much casting until Road/Farron at the earliest.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

cougar cub posted:

So for a pure caster, get Int to 30 ASAP and throw another point or two into Int every couple levels after that. I'd aim for 50-60 Int by the time you beat the game. Stick with your regular Sorceror's Staff (take it to +9 at least). At 30 Int the Sorceror's Staff has the highest spellbuff. Court Sorceror's ties it at 50 Int and surpasses it from there on out. Heretic's has weird breakpoints, ignore it unless you are stopping at 40 for some reason, where it's the best. The other notable catalyst is the Sage's Crystal Staff which always has lower spellbuff but has a supercharged Steady Chant that makes it the strongest as long as you are using Steady Chant.

You probably want a minimum of 30/20 Vig/End by the end of NG and more like 38-40 of each if you plan to go into later NG+ rounds. 24-30 Attunement is all you should need for NG, you can go as high as 50 if you keep going through NG+ but I never bothered going past 30 (5 slots at 30, 7 at 50).

Str/Dex/Vit are dump stats for a Sorceror. Just get enough Str for the weapons you want (keep in mind the Knight's Ring for +5 Str which can be worth it to equip certain weapons like the Moonlight Greatsword, saves you 5 levels). Same for Vit, get enough to equip what you want (honestly all you need as a Sorc is some robes, a Catalyst, and one melee weapon, so keep it low or at minimum imo). Dex is a little more interesting, since it affects cast speed. If you don't care about using Dex weapons, keep it at minimum and just use the Sage's Ring, but if you want to use Dex weapons consider taking it all the way to 40 or 50 to hit the cast speed cap (40 softcap, 50 hardcap). Dex weapons are very nice on a Sorceror due to the Hidden Body+Spook combo giving you free backstabs forever.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Vig scales just fine all the way up to the low 40s, it just scales rediculously well up to 26/27 and you're gimping yourself if you don't go that far early into your build.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Don't have access to my PC to check right now, but what happens if you equip your bow in the left hand rather than the right? Do you still zoom with L1 and fire with R1/R2?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks for the build comments!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Hidden Body is just tops. I've been derdling around on my Assassin character and every time I got invaded (just regular 1v1 invasions while I was going through areas) they were greeted with a Hornet Ring Crystal Magic Weapon 50/50 Dex/Int Crow Quills backstab for three quarters of their life (or an outright one shot on the guy wearing the Crown of Dusk). Either people are blind as bats or they really fall for the old "don't mind me I'm just a ghost image" trick. It's a blast and I highly recommend making an Assassin, from start to finish they are a blast. Starting with Spook is a real game changer.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

AttackBacon posted:

Hidden Body is just tops. I've been derdling around on my Assassin character and every time I got invaded (just regular 1v1 invasions while I was going through areas) they were greeted with a Hornet Ring Crystal Magic Weapon 50/50 Dex/Int Crow Quills backstab for three quarters of their life (or an outright one shot on the guy wearing the Crown of Dusk). Either people are blind as bats or they really fall for the old "don't mind me I'm just a ghost image" trick. It's a blast and I highly recommend making an Assassin, from start to finish they are a blast. Starting with Spook is a real game changer.

I just use Obscuring Ring/Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring. By the time they know I'm there, it's usually too late. Add the Silvercat Ring for the true ninja experience.

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif

AttackBacon posted:

Hidden Body is just tops.

For PVE it's just unstoppable. I got through the entire game in very short order with this build:
https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/94201
It was extra fun bc the FP regen from backstabs vs the cost of Hidden Body encourages just ripping through levels (and enemies) as quickly as possible :D

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

What is the general consensus on the Carthus Bloodring? It's a really interesting ring conceptually, but I haven't spent much time using it, so I'm not really sure if there's a meaningful difference between having the ring and not having it.

Also, is the Pontiff's Right Eye worth it with Friede's Great Scythe for general use? It seems super cool, but if I'm flurrying with the Weapon Art, it seems like things are going to drop really fast regardless, and if I'm just using the regular R1/R2 swings, then they're probably so slow that they won't even activate the ring's effect. Against bosses, I can see how the Pontiff's Right Eye might be extremely helpful, but for just running through a dungeon? Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing it.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Time_pants posted:

What is the general consensus on the Carthus Bloodring? It's a really interesting ring conceptually, but I haven't spent much time using it, so I'm not really sure if there's a meaningful difference between having the ring and not having it.

Also, is the Pontiff's Right Eye worth it with Friede's Great Scythe for general use? It seems super cool, but if I'm flurrying with the Weapon Art, it seems like things are going to drop really fast regardless, and if I'm just using the regular R1/R2 swings, then they're probably so slow that they won't even activate the ring's effect. Against bosses, I can see how the Pontiff's Right Eye might be extremely helpful, but for just running through a dungeon? Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing it.

Carthus Bloodring is very good in PvP and probably overkill in PvE. It's good in PvP because it lets you escape certain roll-catches that would otherwise be guaranteed whereas in PvE the mobs aren't using those timings except by chance (some bosses have deliberate roll-catch timings but it can all be played around). That being said the absorption penalty is pretty dramatic so I usually skip it even in PvP.

The Pontiff's Eye rings aren't really that useful outside of specific setups. They'd be decent on Friede's Greatscythe for a couple reasons though. First the combo is multi-hitting and secondly it has a very large AoE. Due to how the rings proc, hitting in an area can yield some pretty dramatic results (instantly stacking the Right Eye and giving extremely rapid healing with the Left Eye). I abused this just five minutes ago with Friede's GS against Deacons and it was hilarious, just spammed and healed through everything. However, the real power is when you stack those rings with the Old Wolf Curved Sword which has powered up versions of both their effects as a passive. With all of that stacked together and using a multi-hit weapon (the Crow Talons being the pinnacle of this strategy) you can get some pretty dramatic results. The Old Wolf CS plus Friede's GS is a pretty hefty load to carry though, so that's probably not realistic for most builds.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Old Wolf Curved Sword + Pontiff's Right Eye + Sellsword Twinblades + buff = insane damage against any boss who gives you an opening to stand and deliver.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Paracelsus posted:

Old Wolf Curved Sword + Pontiff's Right Eye + Sellsword Twinblades + buff = insane damage against any boss who gives you an opening to stand and deliver.

Throw in Power Within or Carthus Beacon if you want things to get really spicy. Other weapons that are really good with this strategy are Ricard's Rapier, Crow Quills, Crow Talons (or any claws/fists really, their L1 spam is extremely stamina efficient), and the Brigand Twindaggers. Most light weapons (daggers and light curved swords especially) and dual weapons are decent with this setup though, it doesn't take that many hits to max out the bonuses.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The Carthus Bloodring has been banned from some tournaments, if that tells you anything.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Fun fact: you can use Tears of Denial as a cut-rate Spook and survive many lethal falls with 1 HP remaining.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Paracelsus posted:

I thought the rings and old wolf curved greatsword didn't stack?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

New Concept Hole posted:

I thought the rings and old wolf curved greatsword didn't stack?

Nope they all stack, just double checked it. My current Hollow build runs Crow Talons, OWCS, both rings, and Power Within. The Crow Talons weapon art instantly stacks everything to max and pops a heal for 150 (a quarter of a +10 estus) totally offsetting Power Within. The AR on the Talons jumps from 297 to 393 with everything going which is a pretty hefty increase. The Talons have innate Bleed as well and I can still put a buff or Carthus Rouge on top of that so it all gets pretty silly. A fully buffed Weapon Art oneshots the blue Lothric Knights outside the Twin Princes at NG+3.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AttackBacon posted:

Throw in Power Within or Carthus Beacon if you want things to get really spicy.

I prefer using Lloyd's Sword Ring over Power Within, and Carthus Beacon lasts a pitifully short length of time.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Paracelsus posted:

I prefer using Lloyd's Sword Ring over Power Within, and Carthus Beacon lasts a pitifully short length of time.

Yeah Lloyd's Sword is good but I'm generally operating at a ring premium. I agree on Carthus Beacon (two slots too!) but Power Within is double Lloyd's AR boost coupled with a massive stamina regen buff (nearly doubles it) which is awesome for a build focused on constant aggression. It also nicely uses that single Attunement slot I got starting as a Mercenary and has very low stat reqs.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AttackBacon posted:

Yeah Lloyd's Sword is good but I'm generally operating at a ring premium. I agree on Carthus Beacon (two slots too!) but Power Within is double Lloyd's AR boost coupled with a massive stamina regen buff (nearly doubles it) which is awesome for a build focused on constant aggression. It also nicely uses that single Attunement slot I got starting as a Mercenary and has very low stat reqs.

why not both

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
keeping the curved sword strapped on your back applies the buff to the scythe iirc.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Friendly Humour posted:

why not both

keeping the curved sword strapped on your back applies the buff to the scythe iirc.

If by both you mean Power Within+Lloyd's Sword it's because Power Within does damage to you which turns off Lloyd's Sword Ring (aside from being ring-capped anyways since two are going to Pontiff rings). Keeping the Old Wolf Curved Sword on your back is what I am talking about. The issue with comboing it with Friede's Great Scythe is that A. it's a bit overkill on crowds since the scythe does such good damage already, B. Even with the multihits it's still a bit slow at stacking the buff in single target situations, and C. they both weigh 13 units and you can't wear both of them and stay under 70% equip load with base Vit in a lot of cases.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AttackBacon posted:

aside from being ring-capped anyways since two are going to Pontiff rings

The life-gaining eye ring is going to be overkill and can easily be dropped.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I actually like the life gain effects more than the damage ones for that. Since you just have to poke enough times in a window.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Holy poo poo the Farron Legion greatsword is amazing fun to use! So glad I transferred over to it!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Paracelsus posted:

The life-gaining eye ring is going to be overkill and can easily be dropped.

Sure but I'm running Power Within anyways so it's a moot point and in general PvE I'd prefer the extra heal. It's all a bit academic anyways, at the point you can run this build you are basically just winning harder. It's fun though!

Now where I like to use Lloyd's Sword Ring is on my assassin, since he never gets touched at all.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

So my friend and I got new computers and we got Dark Souls 3

it's pretty fun and hard. We had to look up online how to coop with eachother so we could beat the boss and stuff together. but we keep getting invaded and killed? By dudes who seem way higher level, and with better gear. It's really annoying can't they match us with invaders that are our level?

I like the game overall tho. I'm a guy with a sword, cool. I killed the sword master by shooting him from the roof with a bow, so I have his sweet sword. It owns

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

A MIRACLE posted:

So my friend and I got new computers and we got Dark Souls 3

it's pretty fun and hard. We had to look up online how to coop with eachother so we could beat the boss and stuff together. but we keep getting invaded and killed? By dudes who seem way higher level, and with better gear. It's really annoying can't they match us with invaders that are our level?

I like the game overall tho. I'm a guy with a sword, cool. I killed the sword master by shooting him from the roof with a bow, so I have his sweet sword. It owns

They do match you with people who are around your level, and even at around your level of weapon upgrade. They might have stuff that looks different to what you have or does weird poo poo, but they're still around your level and should deal comparative damage and have less hp than whoever is hosting will generally have.

Note that it is "around" your level, so there's still a range, but it shouldn't be a huge difference. The skill difference might be huge though, and if you go through the whole game while co-oping, that gap will remain huge. If you can reach the boss fog door for the section you're in, invading phantoms will disappear.

At firelink, there's an exit on the second floor that leads to a tree. If you interact with it, you'll get something called a Seed of the Giant Tree, which when used (and spent) will make all the stage's enemies also turn hostile against invaders, which can be a big deal in some places. Every time you get invaded, there's like a 50% chance that a new Seed will be available at said tree.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Maleh-Vor posted:

They do match you with people who are around your level, and even at around your level of weapon upgrade. They might have stuff that looks different to what you have or does weird poo poo, but they're still around your level and should deal comparative damage and have less hp than whoever is hosting will generally have.

Note that it is "around" your level, so there's still a range, but it shouldn't be a huge difference. The skill difference might be huge though, and if you go through the whole game while co-oping, that gap will remain huge. If you can reach the boss fog door for the section you're in, invading phantoms will disappear.

At firelink, there's an exit on the second floor that leads to a tree. If you interact with it, you'll get something called a Seed of the Giant Tree, which when used (and spent) will make all the stage's enemies also turn hostile against invaders, which can be a big deal in some places. Every time you get invaded, there's like a 50% chance that a new Seed will be available at said tree.

Okay sweet, thanks for the tips! So far I'm at undead settlement. I can beat everything solo so far, it's just more fun to play with my friend... He's playing a knight with plate armor and tanks the invaders while i shoot them with arrows, it's pretty hilarious even if we die a lot. Is co-oping with strangers for boss fights the best way to farm embers? Can I still help other players even if I've beaten that boss?

Also I killed an invader yesterday solo, so yay me. Had to use all my health potions tho

I need lots of embers. EMBERS!!!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Co-op is a great source of embers and you can help others as long as you want. Doesn't matter if you've killed a given boss in your own world.

If you don't realize this yet, invaders are preferentially assigned to players who have co-op phantoms summoned. It's supposed to be the trade-off. The thing is that invaders are kind of a self-selecting group - like, you won't do much invading while just bumbling through the game the first time. If someone's a-going invading they'll probably have beaten it already, understand the game's systems pretty well, maybe even have planned out their character specifically to prey upon people just starting out in the High Wall. So yeah, they'll only have minimal numerical advantage, but they're looking for a fight and you aren't, it's not surprising if you died a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
At what max load percentage does Flynn's Ring start being useful?