Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Agents of Westworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
She's building MODOK

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I really like the subtle little movements Aida was doing at the portal, and particularly the little smile when she was done. Good physical work by Mallory Jansen.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This episode was really good :)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PunkBoy posted:

Oh hey, Aida is Symmetra.

Is that a reference from some nerdy bandwagon game? I don't get it. :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like that Dr. Radcliffe was like "oh gently caress this poo poo" and closed the darkhold immediately. He may be amoral, but he's not stupid.

Trope averted. The setup and twist was very in character for this show, to the point where I expected it.

And I enjoyed it anyway. Well done show, well done John Hannah. Much better episode than usual for the season.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Awesome episode. Good action all around and on many fronts and with the added gimmick of replaying the scenes with the out-of-synch crowd around.

They chose to wrap most of the (new) stories quickly, albeit Mack being a ghost-rider could be expanded more in fun ways, like shotgun-axe on fire...

But they have enough of a setup to go on with the evil overpowered uncle, the cocoon guy, and apparently whatever Aida's new little project is.

Radcliffe nope-ing out of the dark evil book was excellent. Also the outro where he chills playing the guitar. I like that they can put such moments in this show.

And lmao "Wait, what are they doing?! Do we look this stupid on comms?"

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Call me insane, but did they literally just science up a sling ring?

Doctor Strange is gonna suuuuuue somebody....

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That's what I was thinking too, that this was the first instance this year where a character performed magic similar to what was shown in that film. It just figures that it would would end up being the robot. :v:

This was a pretty great episode.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Is that a reference from some nerdy bandwagon game? I don't get it. :v:

Overwatch, a character builds turrets and stuff just like that. Might even be intentional since they already took lines from Junkrat. :)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like that Dr. Radcliffe was like "oh gently caress this poo poo" and closed the darkhold immediately. He may be amoral, but he's not stupid.
He remembers the stories from his great granduncle about not messing with books of the damned

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This was a pretty fun episode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jed Whedon had this to say on the portal that was created. No surprise to anyone, it was supposed to invoke comparisons to Doctor Strange.

quote:

“Doctor Strange firmly established that there is a lot of ‘science’ in the universe that presents itself as magic,” executive producers Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen tell EW via email. “This would fall into that category and was intentionally visually reminiscent of that film.”

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So next episode is when? Sometime in January?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Avalerion posted:

Overwatch, a character builds turrets and stuff just like that. Might even be intentional since they already took lines from Junkrat. :)

I know what it's from. :colbert:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

notthegoatseguy posted:

So next episode is when? Sometime in January?

2 episodes scheduled , next week and the week after

Wait actually, their twitter says
Thanks for joining us! Come back next week for the exciting #AgentsofSHIELD winter finale.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wonder what the mechanics are for that necronomicon ex mortis book. "get one free good spell, after that you're evil"?

halwain
May 31, 2011
The Portal Aida made looked exactly like the ones from doctor strange.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

double nine posted:

I wonder what the mechanics are for that necronomicon ex mortis book. "get one free good spell, after that you're evil"?

It's the Drug Pusher Theory of Evil. The first one is free, but after that, you're hooked.

On evil.

halwain posted:

The Portal Aida made looked exactly like the ones from doctor strange.

Lost in all this is how AIDA's magic is geometrical—just like you'd expect a magical robot's to be.

I'm scared she's going to be MODOK now, though. :ohdear:

halwain
May 31, 2011
Maybe they turn her into the MCU version of Jocasta?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Really good episode. Two scenes for the price of one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

halwain posted:

Then were will be the awkwardness when Hank Pym starts to bang her?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

halwain posted:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Olinka_Barankova_(Earth-616)

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Didn't keep the looks :(

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What a really good episode. And the hook of AIDA being touched by the Darkhold is a really good one to go forward on. I just wish AoS had a more steady schedule than it's had, and will have.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When Aida read the book was it just 1s and 0s?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Bruceski posted:

When Aida read the book was it just 1s and 0s?

Yes.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Which was funny but sort of silly because it's a hilariously inefficient way to present binary. Shoulda gone with QR codes or something but I guess that might ruin the joke.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

NmareBfly posted:

Which was funny but sort of silly because it's a hilariously inefficient way to present binary. Shoulda gone with QR codes or something but I guess that might ruin the joke.

The joke was that it presents itself in the native language of whoever is using it at the time as they showed before. So for her, its binary.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zebulon posted:

The joke was that it presents itself in the native language of whoever is using it at the time as they showed before. So for her, its binary.

Can you imagine how much she got out of that book if it presented in assembly instead of a straight translation

She may literally be the most powerful magical force in the MCU right now

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Modified Organism Designed Only for Magic

:aaa:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Zebulon posted:

Yeah, but representing binary as printed 1's and 0's is dumb and incredibly inefficient in terms of space. Like, how much data would a two page spread hold? A single kilobyte? A computer's language isn't Arabic numerals for 1 and 0, it could be any representation of 'on' and 'off.'

I also know this is an incredibly pedantic thing to get annoyed about, it just irked me a little.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah, but representing binary as printed 1's and 0's is dumb and incredibly inefficient in terms of space. Like, how much data would a two page spread hold? A single kilobyte? A computer's language isn't Arabic numerals for 1 and 0, it could be any representation of 'on' and 'off.'

I also know this is an incredibly pedantic thing to get annoyed about, it just irked me a little.

That depends. Remember .kkrieger ?

The 98KB FPS game that was a tech demo for compression algorithms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_89X9s8G6Kk

Now, imagine something magically figuring out how to do something very similar with explaining how to do Atrocity Archives/Laundry Files-type magic in binary code.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What was that note Mac was holding at the end? "Hope" and then some numbers, seemed like a date maybe. Throwback to something I've forgotten?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Dongattack posted:

What was that note Mac was holding at the end? "Hope" and then some numbers, seemed like a date maybe. Throwback to something I've forgotten?

It was the back of a picture.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Dongattack posted:

they said he had buried a lot of pain. That was probably a photograph with a date on the back of it. I don't think anything besides his brother has been mentioned about his backstoriy

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Now, imagine something magically figuring out how to do something very similar with explaining how to do Atrocity Archives/Laundry Files-type magic in binary code.

Yeah, but that doesn't help with the fundamental misunderstanding in anthropomorphizing a computer to the point that physically writing out 1 and 0 is the best way to get information to it. Data compression and procedural stuff can do wonderful things but you're still wasting an incredible amount of bandwidth in the transfer medium. My problem's not with the binary itself, it's with the representation of the binary. I mean when you pick up the phone on a modem do you hear it saying 'onezeroonezerozerozero'?

Still, it wasn't for Ava's benefit it was for ours, the viewer. Maybe the book was reaching through the TV and representing what we by popular consensus assume a computer should be reading.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 30, 2016

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Call me insane, but did they literally just science up a sling ring?

Doctor Strange is gonna suuuuuue somebody....

the hand motions were similar, and the book design is similar to the books in the movie's library.

also there was a second missing book in the library as a possible easter egg to the darkhold, but who knows with how little a poo poo the movie side gives for shield.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't help with the fundamental misunderstanding in anthropomorphizing a computer to the point that physically writing out 1 and 0 is the best way to get information to it. Data compression and procedural stuff can do wonderful things but you're still wasting an incredible amount of bandwidth in the transfer medium. My problem's not with the binary itself, it's with the representation of the binary. I mean when you pick up the phone on a modem do you hear it saying 'onezeroonezerozerozero'?

Still, it wasn't for Ava's benefit it was for ours, the viewer. Maybe the book was reaching through the TV and representing what we by popular consensus assume a computer should be reading.

You couldn't quite make it out, but every 1 and 0 on that page was made of millions of microdots like TV static and there were petabytes on one page alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

halwain posted:

Jocasta already showed up in Age Of Ultron, so it's highly doubtful that she'll end up on AOS.

• Locked thread