Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

I have no loving clue how this system works

Is their strength rank 1 or is it just cut off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

Relationship is a big part, but relative power is a bigger one. If you're the 1st power and the other faction is the 54th, they're more likely to join you. Usually a faction that's willing to confederate is one that just got it's rear end kicked and their capital city is under siege. That said, if they loving hate you, they'll tell you to piss off no matter what.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FutonForensic posted:

Beat them into submission, have them sue for peace, and then throw a confederation demand at them. Otherwise, bribe them with a huge sum of money from all your looting.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In my VC campaign I had three or four empire minors consolidate into the Empire JUST before I could kill them. It just kept happening. Karl Franz would have accomplished nothing without me.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Diplomacy is so loving opaque. I was +70 with Tilea for 20 turns and they don't want anything, all diplomatic options are red. I give them 1k, they now want to trade and go non aggression. sure, whatever.

I started Angrand again and focused on diplomatic / civil techs and expanded slowly / cautiously. I've actually got some trading partners and a solid base, although the calculation of trade routes still makes no loving sense, and with walls am able to hold off random full stacks of mutinous gits while beregal is away burning the badlands. it's tough but fun

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Krazyface posted:

In my VC campaign I had three or four empire minors consolidate into the Empire JUST before I could kill them. It just kept happening. Karl Franz would have accomplished nothing without me.

That's why you go straight for Altdorf and conquer it before Karl Franz can actually become emperor.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Holy poo poo if the game lasts 20 minutes and 90% of one guy's army is dead just award the loving win to the other guy. That's twice tonight now that some anal little poo poo has lost the early game then spent the next 16 minutes running his remaining commanders around in circles because haha my units are faster than yours! It's incredibly pathetic.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Additional context, I was 2nd strongest power in the world, the faction I was trying to confederate was 11th. I guess I'll just keep throwing gold at Dwarfs until they like me, or until I decide to start a civil war

Or maybe just loving stop because this Angrund campaign is too drat long. The short campaign victory might as well just be "Take Karak Eight Peaks" because screw everything after that

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My favorite confederation was during my Skarsnik campaign. I'm best buddies with the Greenskins, but they have no interest in confederating with me. So I launch a lightning campaign against them while their backs were turned, and two turns later after savaging their armies, they sue for peace, followed by confederation. That was so satisfying and in character with the goblins.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FutonForensic posted:

Additional context, I was 2nd strongest power in the world, the faction I was trying to confederate was 11th. I guess I'll just keep throwing gold at Dwarfs until they like me, or until I decide to start a civil war

Or maybe just loving stop because this Angrund campaign is too drat long. The short campaign victory might as well just be "Take Karak Eight Peaks" because screw everything after that

You can just ally them for the victory condition.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

fnordcircle posted:

Maybe CA will just come out and say "we did it this way so we can re-use assets" or something.

Of course that's why. Why would they go out of their way to create two slightly different sets of humanoid mounted caster (female) animations when one serves just as well?

The race to be most offended is hard to take seriously when we're talking about a setting built on absurdist cliche and genre stereotypes.

Our noble ladies may be riding sidesaddle and wearing pretty dresses but they're also murdering legions of grubby peasants/cockney scum/angry drunks.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Genuine question, what is riding sidesaddle and why are people in a huff about it?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Genuine question, what is riding sidesaddle and why are people in a huff about it?

FEMALES

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Vlex posted:

FEMALES

Yep

I suppose it's a less stable way to ride, but it hardly matters for the superhumanly graceful and athletic Spellsingers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's less stable, and it's a social construct from a context totally unlike anything that would make sense for wood elves.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

In the olden times women rode side saddle because men didn't trust themselves to see a woman's crotch, even clothed, and not go to hell.

I assume a small portion (these are TW fans) are upset that it seems condescending to female warriors and the rest are just grognards that don't want more women in their very serious fantasy war sim.

Personally I see nothing wrong with subtly reusing an asset. No one seems upset they've reused the basic wolf template 3 times.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

o-oh

okay

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

xthetenth posted:

It's less stable, and it's a social construct from a context totally unlike anything that would make sense for wood elves.

Wood Elves may be corrupted tree-huggers but they still have enough High Elf about them to remember their courtly manners on the battlefield.

The Brettonian Maidens that ride that way on the tabletop are taught magic by those Wood Elves in the first place iirc.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Krazyface posted:

The AI gets a contextual bonus to confederating based around creating worthy rivals for the player. The system tries to create AI powers between 1 to 2.5 times the players strength

SickZip fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 30, 2016

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FutonForensic posted:

If their not threatened their really unlikely to confederate no matter how much they like you. A faction on their last legs will confederate with a player they absolutely hate, a weak faction that loves you is unlikely to confederate if no one is threatening to take what they have.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
The system creates some perverse incentives where if you want to confederate an ally, you need to let a third party beat them up a bit.

In my most recent dwarf campaign I was close allies with the dwarf faction that controls the north wastes west of the dwarf start. I wanted their port and many trade resources. I had a beast herd spawn in my territory to the south that was raiding me, but also gradually moving north. Even though I was getting grudges from it and could destroy it without problem, I went ahead and let it move into their territory and start sieging one of their cities. Two turns before, I used war coordination to send their army off to attack a greenskin city far away, to ensure that they couldn't deal with herd themselves. It feels gamey, but it works.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I haven't played the game in a while but there is a mod that removes a ton of diplomacy debuffs you get as a main faction. It made diplo make more sense in my book.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Who cares though? Just be military allies with them then. It counts for victory conditions any you don't inherit their armies and cities to unfuck.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Deified Data posted:

In the olden times women rode side saddle because men didn't trust themselves to see a woman's crotch, even clothed, and not go to hell.

I've read multiple places that it was to protect the hymen. Of the Vagina.

I'm fine with it for Damsels because it makes sense for the setting, but a lot less so for elf wymyn. But like every internet debate about this it can't be 'i find this annoying at a 3 out of 10 scale' vs. 'i have no issue with this', it has to become a pitched battle where the very soul of feminism is at stake and if you think it's an issue you're probably an anti-free speech commie cuck and if you're fine with it then you literally believe in subjugating women under the mighty power of the cock.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Wow, I'm glad we are talking about side saddle riding. So loving cool and good.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Female soldiers riding sidesaddle would have been 100% stupid in Attila and it's 100% stupid here too. Doesn't mean I'm gonna boycott the game or anything but I can see why people would be annoyed.

edit: wait, TW: Attila did have like "scythian warrior women" or something similar, right? Or did I dream it?

peer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 30, 2016

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Late to the party but it's my first game where I'm getting close to the end. I'm playing with the Empire. Any tips against Chaos? Mr. Everchosen has just spawned, I just got done confederating (counting the 5 turns confederation malus) Middenland who owned the entire north but Nordland. Everybody and their mother is allying me because of the bonus warring against chaos is giving. The entire south is secure and I'm just now having late game units to use. Am I right in that to beat chaos army I need to shift to armor-piercing + anti-large? Are tanks worth it? Got one with metal dude but he's far down south. Also, how do you push back corruption in destroyed provinces. Just colonise and build until you can plop down the shrine of sigmar?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

peer posted:

Female soldiers riding sidesaddle would have been 100% stupid in Attila and it's 100% stupid here too. Doesn't mean I'm gonna boycott the game or anything but I can see why people would be annoyed.

edit: wait, TW: Attila did have like "scythian warrior women" or something similar, right? Or did I dream it?

No Scythians in the 5th century AD. But the barbarians and the nomads all had women mixed in with the men amongst their lower tier units, and for the nomads many of these were cavalry, no side saddle there.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Randarkman posted:

No Scythians in the 4th century AD. But the barbarians and the nomads all had women mixed in with the men amongst their lower tier units, and for the nomads many of these were cavalry, no side saddle there.

I meant huns (or sarmatians)!!! But yeah okay so I'm not imagining it. I remembered the female infantry units pretty clearly but wasn't 100% sure there were any cavalry ones

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

peer posted:

I meant huns (or sarmatians)!!! But yeah okay so I'm not imagining it. I remembered the female infantry units pretty clearly but wasn't 100% sure there were any cavalry ones

Well, they're kind of hard to tell apart at a distance, or even up close. They went pretty subtle and realistic with it actually, a female soldier wouldn't look too different from a man anyways.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 30, 2016

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So what's the FLC that's coming with this expansion?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

StarMinstrel posted:

Late to the party but it's my first game where I'm getting close to the end. I'm playing with the Empire. Any tips against Chaos? Mr. Everchosen has just spawned, I just got done confederating (counting the 5 turns confederation malus) Middenland who owned the entire north but Nordland. Everybody and their mother is allying me because of the bonus warring against chaos is giving. The entire south is secure and I'm just now having late game units to use. Am I right in that to beat chaos army I need to shift to armor-piercing + anti-large? Are tanks worth it? Got one with metal dude but he's far down south. Also, how do you push back corruption in destroyed provinces. Just colonise and build until you can plop down the shrine of sigmar?

-Halberds, Greatswords, Demigryphs, Handgunners are your primary anti-chaos units. So yeah to anti-armor and anti-large. Light wizards also own against chaos and everything else as well.
-Your best weapon is walls though. Use walled settlements to bleed them hard. Don't use full stacks in them because then the AI gets too reluctant to attack. Complement garrisons with some half, or smaller, stacks of good anti armor units and chaos will break themself trying to take them
-Steam tanks rule
-Corruption will start decreasing once you beat chaos. The corruption debuff goes away when the invasion does. So go kill Archaeon because that's way quicker then waiting for enough growth to build a shrine.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Archonex posted:

So what's the FLC that's coming with this expansion?

Full list isn't officially announced but we know Beastmen have a new LL with a new start position and also get Harpies. Theres also going to be some new wizards with the 2 new lores undoubtedly

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

something ive been thinking of with the expansions is that i hope they find some way to make the far away races interact. it'd be a shame if the lizardmen and such were just kinda in their own little world and never interact with dwarves, ogres or wood elves for example. this probably isn't support in the lore, but i think it would be nice if there were some minor dwarf holds in the new world, a greenskin tribe or two or so on. make the gameworld feel more connected than just these separate worlds

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Both Life and Shadow are being added as new lores, so we will be getting units with access to them, so new casters for both empire and, I believe, vampires.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Davincie posted:

something ive been thinking of with the expansions is that i hope they find some way to make the far away races interact. it'd be a shame if the lizardmen and such were just kinda in their own little world and never interact with dwarves, ogres or wood elves for example. this probably isn't support in the lore, but i think it would be nice if there were some minor dwarf holds in the new world, a greenskin tribe or two or so on. make the gameworld feel more connected than just these separate worlds

Well, the High Elves kind of take it on themselves to be the world police and go poking themselves into anybody's business if given half a chance, the Dark Elves are notorious raiders and pirates and should be expected to threaten coastal communities at least. The Skaven have an empire that runs under the entire world and the Ogres are mercenaries who'll fight for anyone who pays them, the Lizardmen are a bit more difficult as their whole schtick is that they are kind of isolationist and the Slann influence stuff at a distance with magic, however explorers, colonists and would be conquerors from Tilea, Estalia and the Empire are all present in Lustria, so there is some interaction, the Chaos Dwarfs are a bit more difficult as they were basically cut out of the lore except as the guys who make that armor and stuff that the chaos warriors wear, as well as poo poo like the Hell Cannon.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Davincie posted:

All the races have a reason to journey across the world to gently caress with people. We'll probably get a mechanic to support that. Or the new game releases will have new sub factions to play as instead of having you having an overseas empire to manage.

Also a lot of the current factions exist in the New World or in an area in between. Presumably the vampire pirates will show up as part of the naval content and the conquistadors from the Empire will be a thing for sure if they want to model it all out properly. I don't know if there's any Dwarves on that side however.

I'm still kind of salty that they don't seem to be filling out some of the missing areas in the old world though. Ogres, Tomb Kings (Seriously, there's a huge loving empty desert in the south of the map that has nothing but boring greenskin fights.), the Lahmian vampires as a faction independent of the VC's, and probably a whole bunch of poo poo i'm forgetting all could go in before you even touch High Elves or any of that.

Tomb Kings and Lahmians are probably the two biggest factions left outside of Bretonnia that need to be added in. Tomb Kings keep the Greenskins from just zerging up north or rolling all over the dwarves in thirty turns while the Lahmians would keep the VC's from adding to the ever increasing clusterfuck that is an early game Empire play through due to being their own faction that are rivals with the VC.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 30, 2016

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

SickZip posted:

-Halberds, Greatswords, Demigryphs, Handgunners are your primary anti-chaos units. So yeah to anti-armor and anti-large. Light wizards also own against chaos and everything else as well.
-Your best weapon is walls though. Use walled settlements to bleed them hard. Don't use full stacks in them because then the AI gets too reluctant to attack. Complement garrisons with some half, or smaller, stacks of good anti armor units and chaos will break themself trying to take them
-Steam tanks rule
-Corruption will start decreasing once you beat chaos. The corruption debuff goes away when the invasion does. So go kill Archaeon because that's way quicker then waiting for enough growth to build a shrine.

Thanks! So I'll secure the North, recrute one or two big armies in the center of the empire while I keep small garrisons to stem they tide, then venture forth once I have a proper composition with the stacks. We'll see what comes of it. Now if only Balthasar would stop sucking.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

StarMinstrel posted:

Now if only Balthasar would stop sucking.

I have bad news about this...

(He doesn't. Ever. Unless you install a mod that fixes the lore of metal to not be awful)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

SickZip posted:

I have bad news about this...

(He doesn't. Ever. Unless you install a mod)

It's sad when you contrast with the VC heroes. I haven't tried the new LL yet with the empire but he seems promising (forget his name). I was quite surprised at first when I realized any normal lord in the empire is better than effing Balthasar.

• Locked thread