Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The real disappointing thing is if they aren't at least just scanning every film element they have for archival purposes.

Sure, whatever, you can't make a business case for a full remastering and release. AT THE VERY LEAST be a good custodian to the property and prevent further degradation, leaving the door open to a future restoration.

The original film elements degrade, that's it, game over. Digitize the film at 1080p or 4k just so you HAVE it before it's too late. There's no excuse for losing bits of our popular culture anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The problem is there really isn't anything better right now. All the effects and editing for TNG, DS9, and Voyager were done on standard-resolution videotape. You could theoretically just do a rescan of the live-action film and then upscale the SD portions, but everything's going to go startlingly blurry every time there's a special effect mixed in with the live-action... including every time they shoot a phaser, use the transporter, use a replicator, Odo does his Cardassian neck trick, etc.

A curated upscale of the current SD masters combined with a digital grade would probably be a bit of an improvement. But yeah, not too much.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also, the pricing needed to be updated again to reflect modern sensibilities. Paramount was able to get away with $100 season boxsets when the DVDs first came out because season boxsets were still relatively novel, and because it was still a screaming good deal compared to what a season set on VHS would have run you. That just wasn't the case any more for a multitude of reasons.

This is part of the reason why I only picked up a few seasons of the BRs. I was the core market for the things (didn't have the DVDs, a sucker for bonus / extra content, and the price was enough for me to back away.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
I notice seaQuest got a Bluray release, so I curious how they'd handled the CGI and did a bit of digging. Apparently, the original CGI was done at high-res - not HD quality, but definitely enough that it actually looks better in HD than SD. On the flip side, the original CGI is not great, mostly only saved by the murkiness of the sea.

Still.

seaQuest. Of all the 90s CGI-heavy series, frickin' seaQuest is the one that can survive the switch to Bluray.

Some details here, if you're interested:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=11837836&postcount=98
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=11841153&postcount=101

Dirty fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 30, 2016

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

bull3964 posted:

The real disappointing thing is if they aren't at least just scanning every film element they have for archival purposes.

Sure, whatever, you can't make a business case for a full remastering and release. AT THE VERY LEAST be a good custodian to the property and prevent further degradation, leaving the door open to a future restoration.

The original film elements degrade, that's it, game over. Digitize the film at 1080p or 4k just so you HAVE it before it's too late. There's no excuse for losing bits of our popular culture anymore.

The film reels are kept in a former salt mine, which is the ideal environment for storage. Those film elements have probably 50+ (if not 100+) years of life on them. Bear in mind film stock has generally improved over time and the show was shot in the 90s. DS9 isn't some silent film relic about to disintegrate any day now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

macnbc posted:

The film reels are kept in a former salt mine, which is the ideal environment for storage. Those film elements have probably 50+ (if not 100+) years of life on them. Bear in mind film stock has generally improved over time and the show was shot in the 90s. DS9 isn't some silent film relic about to disintegrate any day now.

It still only takes a single mistake to cause disaster. One misplaced box. One environmental issue. Multiple episodes could be affected.

TNG was only a handful of years earlier and they weren't able to find all the footage and had to use upscales in a few scenes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Knormal posted:

And also, really dude, that's your threshold?

:laffo: It works either way

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Do you think Vash hosed Quark while she was negotiating the sale of her artifacts from the Gamma Quadrant that she acquired while being Q's travel fuckbuddy around that part of the galaxy? Because I think she did. That and she already knew her way around a Ferengi pair of ears, Picard was playing some wicked sloppy seconds.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Dirty posted:

I notice seaQuest got a Bluray release, so I curious how they'd handled the CGI and did a bit of digging. Apparently, the original CGI was done at high-res - not HD quality, but definitely enough that it actually looks better in HD than SD. On the flip side, the original CGI is not great, mostly only saved by the murkiness of the sea.

Still.

seaQuest. Of all the 90s CGI-heavy series, frickin' seaQuest is the one that can survive the switch to Bluray.

Neat stuff, thanks for sharing this. It reminds me of the CGI in a lot of the ~interactive movies~ of the early CD-ROM era.

James Woods posted:

Do you think Vash hosed Quark while she was negotiating the sale of her artifacts from the Gamma Quadrant that she acquired while being Q's travel fuckbuddy around that part of the galaxy? Because I think she did. That and she already knew her way around a Ferengi pair of ears, Picard was playing some wicked sloppy seconds.

And thanks also for that contribution.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I'm a bit disappointed it's a news item to cast a gay character - Star Trek of all things should be at a point where people are just people and their sexuality isn't what defines their character. Why can't it just be no big deal who a spaceman likes to bang? I can understand (with regret) why studio shitlords stopped Riker diddling a male actor in the part of that genderless fella back in 1992 on broadcast TV in the USA but for Star Trek to still treat sexuality as something out of the ordinary 25 years later is a shame.

Also chinese captain of the USS chinese, ha ha ha what. Is there a captain Lord Percival Geoffrey Shufflebottom of Drearyshire, captain of the HMS Teapot?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Well, the original Enterprise was an 18th century French frigate that was captured by the Royal Navy, so who better to be the captain of the USS Enterprise than noted English guy pretending to be French Jean-Luc Picard?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Been listening to the second 25 years of that Star Trek 50 book on Audible, it's friggin great. I'd heard about all the in-fighting among the staff, and that Roddenberry started to lose it towards the end, but I had no idea the extent to which his bizarre behavior went.

I didn't bookmark it, sadly, but there was a line from someone talking about how Gene was randomly railing off things he liked one day in a conversation with a writer, and just started talking about orgasming in waves and waves and waves. Or that during discussions about a Romulan episode, Roddenberry mentioned wanting to explore Romulan sex.

I probably don't need to relay his thoughts on Risa. Needless to say, I guess I never knew the extent to which either Roddenberry in LA too long, or his mind was completely gone. Or both.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

I'm a bit disappointed it's a news item to cast a gay character - Star Trek of all things should be at a point where people are just people and their sexuality isn't what defines their character. Why can't it just be no big deal who a spaceman likes to bang? I can understand (with regret) why studio shitlords stopped Riker diddling a male actor in the part of that genderless fella back in 1992 on broadcast TV in the USA but for Star Trek to still treat sexuality as something out of the ordinary 25 years later is a shame.

Also chinese captain of the USS chinese, ha ha ha what. Is there a captain Lord Percival Geoffrey Shufflebottom of Drearyshire, captain of the HMS Teapot?

Star Trek has always been infantile and somewhat conservative about sex and sexuality, but then again most sci fi tv is

... one day I'll get a high budget properly made TV adaptation of The Culture, probably on HBO, one day

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I remember when I was watching TOS and Kirk telling someone how cool and progressive they were because women were allowed to have jobs on starships now (as his space secretary)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Plus, one of the first lines in the series is "I can't get used to having a woman on the bridge."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really hope they aren't super in your face about the character being gay. Not that I don't like gay people, but I would hope that in the time period of this show, gay people would be a normal thing and not something you have to point out. Have him do the normal TV show stuff that any straight character would do but just with a man. Just do it like TOS did with having a black woman on the bridge, just act like it's a normal thing that has always been that way.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope they aren't super in your face about the character being gay. Not that I don't like gay people, but I would hope that in the time period of this show, gay people would be a normal thing and not something you have to point out. Have him do the normal TV show stuff that any straight character would do but just with a man. Just do it like TOS did with having a black woman on the bridge, just act like it's a normal thing that has always been that way.

This is what I am getting at, yeah.

cmdr gay. so what

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

This is what I am getting at, yeah.

cmdr gay. so what

That is how they should treat it in the setting of the show, but the news of an original gay character in Star Trek is kind of a big deal precisely because there's never been one before. It's still lame that it's a news item now and not 15-20 years ago when it would've been pushing that boundary for general TV instead of just the franchise, but here we are.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like the DS9 episode where Quark's assistant is a female in disguise. Dax figures out the Ferengi is in love with Quark and is super supportive of her making a move on him. When she asks how Dax knew she was female Dax is like whaaaaaat?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm kind of on the fence about that. It can feel like how nerds like to always tell writers to write women like Ripley from Alien, who is a good character; but not every female character needs to be written as a man and then played by a woman (this is partially why Ripley is better in Aliens. Her being a mother informs her character but she isn't a hysterical woman who needs Hicks to come save her).

:siren:However:siren:, while in principle I don't mind them acknowledging that gay culture is a thing that exists, I think there is a >90% chance that they would gently caress it up and make Flaming Ensign Pole Vaulter of the U.S.S. Gay Viking and we'd all end up hiding behind the sofa in shame whenever he was on screen.

If you're reading this, Star Trek producers, just do what you did with Sulu in Beyond because you'll completely screw up otherwise.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

McSpanky posted:

That is how they should treat it in the setting of the show, but the news of an original gay character in Star Trek is kind of a big deal precisely because there's never been one before. It's still lame that it's a news item now and not 15-20 years ago when it would've been pushing that boundary for general TV instead of just the franchise, but here we are.

I agree 100%, but I don't think that will ever happen in Discovery. They are going to focus on it, make entire episodes about it, make the character have to make a decision to either save the ship or his husband to prove gay love is just as strong as straight love. It will be eye-rollingly forced and insulting to anyone, gay or not, watching the show.

I think it is completely necessary to have gay characters on Star Trek and it is a little insulting it has taken this long. I also think they did a fine job with it in Beyond. They had a character be gay but that wasn't what defined his writing or characterization, he simply was gay man, like real people in the real world. This wont be that, this will be a desperate, try-hard attempt to be relevant because Discovery really doesn't have anything else going for it.

I know I sound pessimistic about this show and pray to Sha Ka Ree that I am wrong, that somehow the writers will be able to make something watchable and not "he is GAY! Stare at him and treat him different!", but these are the same writers that made the later seasons of Heroes, Voyager pocket books, and Eight Legged Freaks. I'm just hoping Nicholas Meyer can keep them pointed in the right direction. I want a real gay character with real emotions and real development on Star Trek, not a stunt that gets announced before they even say what the show is going to be about.

Considering they just recently bothered to decide a time setting, I am worried the whole show is "ok, we have a gay guy, so they should find an new alien race that hates homosexuality (and say that in the federation he faces constant discrimination too) and the new aliens will only join if they can kill all the gays." because if having a gay character is somehow big deal they will have to retcon every other episode of Star Trek made where it didn't matter to anyone. In the new book about the history of Star Trek, they are constantly talking about the evolution of humanity and how people in Kirk's time would have moved past judgments of others for their individuality.

Star Trek, to me, has always been that stunning vision of the future where no one gave a crap anymore what orientation you were or what race you were. It would have people being accepted for who they were without it being seen as a limitation or a problem that needed to be overcome.

Bryan Fuller could do this, he really could do it well, but something makes me think it will not be done properly in staggering mess Discovery seems to becoming. He is no longer the show runner and that makes me think they are already butting heads with the direction the show would be going in.

Again, I really want the show to be good and to be able to watch Star Trek again without explaining "Oh, it is this old show that used to be good", but until I hear the theme song I am not getting my hopes up at all.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

This new show isn't even going to have Kirk and Spock! I've written it off as a total trainwreck.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not sure if gay culture can really survive into a setting like the Federation depicts. It's whole deal is being separated and isolated from mainstream culture, but as gays become more and more accepted it'd just be absorbed into the mainstream.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Federation doesn't have a culture so they'd just take over.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

WickedHate posted:

I'm not sure if gay culture can really survive into a setting like the Federation depicts. It's whole deal is being separated and isolated from mainstream culture, but as gays become more and more accepted it'd just be absorbed into the mainstream.

In typical Star Trek fashion, our gay character will be an expert on and collector of memorabilia from 21st Century Gay Culture, and when confronted about being a living anachronism he will go into lengthy diatribes about the proud traditions and struggles of of his Gay ancestors.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This is a hand carved statue of a goddess my ancestors worshiped. They called her "Judy Garland".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm kind of on the fence about that. It can feel like how nerds like to always tell writers to write women like Ripley from Alien, who is a good character; but not every female character needs to be written as a man and then played by a woman (this is partially why Ripley is better in Aliens.

Haha wait. Is this really what happened?

If true this would be a great thing for me to keep in my back pocket for the next time this guy I know pulls out Ripley as his go-to example of why "it's possible to write good leading women characters without shoving feminism in your face" or whatever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cat Hatter posted:

If you're reading this, Star Trek producers, just do what you did with Sulu in Beyond because you'll completely screw up otherwise.

That's all I want, even as one of those dreaded homosexuals myself. I don't want the USS Harvey Milk and the rainbow effect warp drive. Just a little visibility, and boom, move on.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Data Graham posted:

If true this would be a great thing for me to keep in my back pocket for the next time this guy I know pulls out Ripley as his go-to example of why "it's possible to write good leading women characters without shoving feminism in your face" or whatever.

It ended up being a double edged sword because people take "strong female character" too literally and think the only good female characters are tough as nails action dudette. This basically.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Except maybe ask Takei first

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh Judy Garland, I have traveled far from the off broadway theaters of my ancestors.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dirty posted:

Still.

Holy poo poo. I would never have expected fuckin seaQuest DSV to ever get a high-def release. :aaa:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always found it interesting that something people kvetched about with Star Trek - that characters rarely moved on from the ship - is something that SeaQuest did, and it got knocked for characters leaving each season.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Write a character like Garak but make it clear he is a homosexual hew-mon in a couple of unambiguous ways.

Well, not literally like Garak, I don't think he has to be a kill-happy tailor with a brain implant. But you get what I mean. Garak was cool.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Garak was bi. A bi dude on TV would actually be novel and progressive.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, Alien was written without stated genders for any character; even the computer, Mother, was referred to as "Parent". Then they just cast whoever for whatever role.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Been listening to the second 25 years of that Star Trek 50 book on Audible, it's friggin great. I'd heard about all the in-fighting among the staff, and that Roddenberry started to lose it towards the end, but I had no idea the extent to which his bizarre behavior went.

I didn't bookmark it, sadly, but there was a line from someone talking about how Gene was randomly railing off things he liked one day in a conversation with a writer, and just started talking about orgasming in waves and waves and waves. Or that during discussions about a Romulan episode, Roddenberry mentioned wanting to explore Romulan sex.

I probably don't need to relay his thoughts on Risa. Needless to say, I guess I never knew the extent to which either Roddenberry in LA too long, or his mind was completely gone. Or both.

For anyone still thinking about it and is on the fence, these two books are amazing.

Tracy Torme posted:

And then he started to list things that he found painful: the pain of dealing with network executives, the pain of going through divorce, the pain of seeing your children’s faces when you have to tell them you don’t love their mother anymore, the pain of spending eighteen straight hours writing a perfect scene and someone saying it has to be changed for some loving stupid reason—so he’s going on and on. It was really one for the ages, and I was wondering when this was going to come to an end. So he finally comes up for air, and then says, “As for pleasure, my idea of pleasure is waves and waves and waves of cum exploding out of me.”
I absolutely was shocked—and he had said it in this sort of Irish voice—that quickly I covered the phone as hard as I could and stuck my head as far out of my office window as I could and uncontrollably started laughing. Like I couldn’t believe what I’d heard—and it was said to me by a leprechaun. So now I’m terrified to come back to the phone, that he’s going to have heard my reaction and my relationship with him is going to be destroyed for all time. I very warily sneak myself back onto the phone and he’s in the middle of talking about more things that bring him pleasure that I had completely missed. That was one of the funnier and stranger moments of my life.

Ira Steven Behr posted:

If you want Picard to be John Wayne, let him be John Wayne. But an interesting John Wayne. And it was absolutely not. “There is no way we’re doing this story. But, I like this idea of the pleasure planet … come up with a story where he’s stressed and overworked and he goes down to this pleasure planet, and I want to see in the background women holding hands with other women, and men walking, holding hands with other men. In scenes in the background I want to see women kissing other women and men kissing other men, and then in the background I want to see orgies.” “Orgies on Star Trek: The Next Generation?” “Yes, I want to see orgies. I want this to be an erotic episode where the captain gets to indulge his erotic nature.” It just went on and on and I’m thinking, someone pinch me, someone wake me up, because I have literally gone into a Philip K. Dick alternate reality. This can’t be real. So, I go back and I say to Rick, “Rick. Orgies. Men and women and cumming and sex.” And he goes, “Oh, don’t listen to any of that. Forget all that, just get Picard laid.”

Ron Moore posted:

He just wanted the show to be more about a utopia of the future rather than a TV series, really. So you ran into those kind of problems, and so he was kind of known for being a pain. He was a problem in the third season. There was a point where he did a rewrite of “Ménage à Troi” and there was a scene where Troi and Riker are down on Betazed having a picnic and Mrs. Troi is there. We were reading the scene descriptions out loud, because in the script it said something like “Mrs. Troi picks up a long cylindrical-shaped fruit with a tip and veins running down its sides and hands it to Riker.” It was overtly sexual.
It was funny. I remembered there was a memo on “The Defector” he wrote, which was Gene’s reaction to the story outline. Somewhere in the comments was Gene saying, “What’s Romulan sex like? Maybe Beverly should have sex with a Romulan. I bet their sex lives would be amazing. It probably is quite violent.” It was like a paragraph and I was just, like, “What?”

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I know I sound pessimistic about this show and pray to Sha Ka Ree that I am wrong, that somehow the writers will be able to make something watchable and not "he is GAY! Stare at him and treat him different!", but these are the same writers that made the later seasons of Heroes, Voyager pocket books, and Eight Legged Freaks.

Wait, really? Optimism restored in that case.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I give Star Trek some slack on the lack of gay characters considering the show was on in some fashion from 1987-2005, which compared to today were the dark ages for Gay America. When Enterprise went off the air states were still in the middle of passing gay marriage bans.

I get the impression that at least some people on the original show and the spinoffs wanted to do some gay issues but were rebuffed by the network for the most part. The only real way to write it back then was to do things very subtly like they did with Garak, who absolutely seems written as bisexual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LinkesAuge posted:

It's funny that the new ship literally translates to "USS Spaceship".

More like godboat.