Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Okay, what am I missing about SKSE? The link in the op leads to a DL page that says it doesn't work with the SE, and, sure enough, downloading it there and pointing it to the SE directory has it telling me it can't find skyrim.exe. Launching the version I already had on the steam store just wants to open the non-special Skyrim. What am I loving up?
There is no Script Extender for Skyrim Special Edition. A "SKSE64" is in the works, but it will take quite some time.
The OP was written solely for OldSkyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh, so the whole OP wasn't updated, just the top part. Thanks!

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
There isn't a working SKSE for the special edition yet, just for the original Skyrim.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So basically, using Mod Organizer, I should be able to use anything found in the SSE directory on Nexus?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/searchresults/?src_cat=20

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Soonmot posted:

So basically, using Mod Organizer, I should be able to use anything found in the SSE directory on Nexus?
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/searchresults/?src_cat=20
There also isn't a MO for SkyrimSE.
An MO2 (updated to work for the 64-bit FO4) was in the works, but it never left beta. Tannin - the guy who developed it - abandoned it and was hired by the Nexus site to work an NMM 2.0. People have taken that beta and gotten it to work for Skyrim SE, but it is a beta and still has issues.

I'd stick to NMM or WryeBash for the time being.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

An MO2 (updated to work for the 64-bit FO4) was in the works, but it never left beta. Tannin - the guy who developed it - abandoned it and was hired by the Nexus site to work an NMM 2.0. People have taken that beta and gotten it to work for Skyrim SE, but it is a beta and still has issues.

ffffffffffuck. Okay, thanks!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I dove back into Special Edition last night. Turns out that along with Wyre Bash (307, not 306) being updated to work with SSE, TES5Edit has also been updated but is now called SSEEdit which means the only real change for how I approached modding Skyrim is using Nexus Mod Manager instead of Mod Organizer.
Special Edition is so much better on a fundamental level you guys. The lighting and shadows do make a huge difference visually of course, but the stability, the smoothness and the overall ease of throwing a bunch of poo poo at the game and it just taking it is wonderful.

Raygereio posted:

To add to this a lot of mod authors have simply copy and pasted their Oldrim mod descriptions onto their special edition mod pages leading to all sorts of confusion when an updated mod points to a bunch of not-updated mods and utilities that do NOT work with SSE. Take Immersive Jewelry, it has been updated for SSE and looks all great wow I'm going to get it! But wait in the mod description it suggest a bunch of other mods to use and ones that aren't compatibile but if you follow the links they all point to old Skyrim which helps nobody at all! It's like trying to chase down whether or not you need compatibility patches but on super steroids because the entire community isn't paying attention.
That and the differences between mods you can use for SSE that haven't been updated but you can still use for SSE is confusing. Like Lootification, it's an external program that fucks with leveled lists so is it compatible with SSE as is or not? What about ASIS?
:iiam:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

KakerMix posted:

I think you are right but there was, gently caress, like two or three extra bits to add to skyrimprefs.ini for Oldrim I think, I don't quite remember. I've played countless hours of Skyrim and just checked out SSE right now and I think I'm going back to ALL the mods. I can deal with weak shadows and a more crashy experience if it means I can use the knowledge I already have :v:

EDIT
The fix for weird mouse lag SSE is to run with a frame limiter on (ENB) and vsync off, and in borderless windowed mode. This avoids the mouse lag while also avoids the screen tearing I would get when locking the frames at 60 because I have a 100hz monitor.

Yea, that's input lag as you found out, it's fairly common with VSync on but worse in some engines than others. There are other ways to cap your frames, but if you found that works for you great. Personally I'm avoiding ENB for now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Hamburger Test posted:

Yea, that's input lag as you found out, it's fairly common with VSync on but worse in some engines than others. There are other ways to cap your frames, but if you found that works for you great. Personally I'm avoiding ENB for now.

I'm using ENB specifically to give me a frame limiter, I turned off any effects it can do by changing 'UseEffect=false' under enbseries.ini. If I do decide to go down that rabbit hole I can flip it back on and bleed my cones and rods right out of my head.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Imaginator works pretty well with SE if an ENB doesn't work for you. You'll have to manually adjust though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

KakerMix posted:

Special Edition is so much better on a fundamental level you guys. The lighting and shadows do make a huge difference visually of course, but the stability, the smoothness and the overall ease of throwing a bunch of poo poo at the game and it just taking it is wonderful.

Given your monitor I assume you have a sweet rig so maybe not the best person to ask, but how are the steps of Dragonsreach for you in SSE? Very consistent performance nosedive there for me, whatever the configuration.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So assuming I got the Special Edition as a freebie if I want to play with mods is there any reason to not just use old edition with all the DLC? At least until all the old mods are converted? I mean what is the huge advantage of the Special Edition anyway?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I mean what is the huge advantage of the Special Edition anyway?
The upsides of the SkyrimSE are better stability & performance in the vanilla state. And certain neat graphical improvements such as rain occlusion and shadows in general. The main downside is that there way fewer mods available for SkyrimSE and certain ones that have been ported over from OldSkyrim had functionality stripped out of them because there's no Script Extender for the SE yet (let alone one that has all the features of SKSE).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

KakerMix posted:

Like Lootification, it's an external program that fucks with leveled lists so is it compatible with SSE as is or not? What about ASIS?
:iiam:
I'm really hoping Lootification and ASIS get updated soon. They're fantastic.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So assuming I got the Special Edition as a freebie if I want to play with mods is there any reason to not just use old edition with all the DLC? At least until all the old mods are converted? I mean what is the huge advantage of the Special Edition anyway?

Like others have said, your choices are pretty much "lots of mods" vs "stability and performance".

Which is kind of what the choice has always been, except even starker now.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The stability and performance are vastly improved.

If you can do without SPERG (Ordinator is a solid enough alternative) and skse mods, it's a much better base platform.

I've had 2 crashes in 60 hours with a moderate mod setup. Compared to the regular crashes I was getting before, I'm never going back.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When's Morrowloot Ultimate Special Edition? :allears:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

When the absolute hell are people going to port over a werewolf mod that lets me loot chests and open locked doors

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

The stability and performance are vastly improved.

If you can do without SPERG (Ordinator is a solid enough alternative) and skse mods, it's a much better base platform.

I've had 2 crashes in 60 hours with a moderate mod setup. Compared to the regular crashes I was getting before, I'm never going back.

Not gonna lie, lack of SPERG has me dragging my heels on checking out SE. I might give Ordinator a shot, though I already know I'm gonna mourn not systematically melting down all the silver in Whiterun.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay cool I guess I'll give special edition a try since most of the mods will be ported in time or new ones will be made and I get better stability out of the box.

I just wish I could get mod organizer to work so I wouldn't have to use Nexus Mod Manager. It's weird I got MO2 to install, but when it starts up it says it cannot create a default folder. I guess it's not too bad since most mods are already on the Nexus.

Also thank you op for making me aware that the nexus is not the worst place in the modding world.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah mod organizer is a fantastic utility. Makes FOMM look completely amateur.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Vil posted:

Not gonna lie, lack of SPERG has me dragging my heels on checking out SE. I might give Ordinator a shot, though I already know I'm gonna mourn not systematically melting down all the silver in Whiterun.
Ars Metallica lets you melt stuff down. Not sure if plates are included though....

Eh, just go kill some Silver Hand assholes. Melt their swords.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vil posted:

I've heard lots of good about Ordinator (enough that I'm trying out that crazy SPERG+Ordinator patch in my next run).

On another subject (and speaking of Mod Organizer), every time I launch the game now it keeps putting SKSE INI files into my Overwrite folder (for Fuz Ro Doh and some other plugin whose name escapes me at the moment). Why is this happening? Should I care that it's happening?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So last night I figured out what Radiant Quests were.. after doing 10 Aela The Huntress "Animal Extermination" quests and wondering if her quest line runs out.. Turns out nope!

#skyrimnoob

for a 1H weapon user, how important is Chillrend to do that quest around level 46?

Also, can you wipe out the thieves guild? If i go into the ratway does it mess up that thieves guild quest line? I'm not really playing a theif but I figure i'll have to in order to get chillrend?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

Yeah mod organizer is a fantastic utility. Makes FOMM look completely amateur.

So I figured out how to get it to work, only problem is for some reason MO2 can't detect Skyrim Special Edition. Does it simply not work with Skyrim SE?

EDIT: Nvm just needed a plugin.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When's Morrowloot Ultimate Special Edition? :allears:

It's already on the Nexus!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phetz posted:

It's already on the Nexus!
I was mostly joking, but poo poo, that was my #1 SE mod want. Maybe I should try it out!

...eh, I'll wait for SPERG.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Vil posted:

Give ordinator a try and see if you like it. I had some fun with it, but it has a ridiculous amount of perks and is a little gimmicky for my tastes. Quality stuff by Enai though.
This playthrough I'm using TTR skill overhaul and it'll be my goto for the time being.
At this point, I'm missing the ability to bind weapon/spell set to keys more than anything else.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well got Mod Organizer all fixed and can't figure out how to get a profile for Skryim to work...oh well I guess I'll just use NexusMM for the moment. :smith:

In fairness it's worked fine so far with all my FO4 mods.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Hey if you are a baller and use headphones like me this mod is all sorts of kick-rear end

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1897/

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

KakerMix posted:

Hey if you are a baller and use headphones like me this mod is all sorts of kick-rear end

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1897/

I had to get rid of that just because it really causes the low quality audio (or high compression) to stand out badly. It was killing my ears after a few play sessions. The normal stereo is muddy enough that you don't really notice it so I had to let that mod go.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Mr.Grit posted:

This playthrough I'm using TTR skill overhaul and it'll be my goto for the time being.
At this point, I'm missing the ability to bind weapon/spell set to keys more than anything else.

This looks cool as hell.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

PureRok posted:

I had to get rid of that just because it really causes the low quality audio (or high compression) to stand out badly. It was killing my ears after a few play sessions. The normal stereo is muddy enough that you don't really notice it so I had to let that mod go.

I thought this was patched.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Soonmot posted:

Okay, what am I missing about SKSE? The link in the op leads to a DL page that says it doesn't work with the SE, and, sure enough, downloading it there and pointing it to the SE directory has it telling me it can't find skyrim.exe. Launching the version I already had on the steam store just wants to open the non-special Skyrim. What am I loving up?

That SKSE does not work with SE?

eta: Wow, OK, I sure missed a lot of posts.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Soonmot posted:

Oh, so the whole OP wasn't updated, just the top part. Thanks!

What are you talking about? Nothing in the OP was written with SE in mind (other than a now very out of date preview in the third post) and it never made any pretense otherwise. There is a big flashing gif saying basically that none of this applies to SE.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rinkles posted:

Given your monitor I assume you have a sweet rig so maybe not the best person to ask, but how are the steps of Dragonsreach for you in SSE? Very consistent performance nosedive there for me, whatever the configuration.

Sorry I missed this earlier but I checked the steps of Dragonsreach out and yeah I do not get any slowdown or change or anything I could detect. I do have a beefy computer too though so ???

PureRok posted:

The normal audio was so muffed and far away that this 3D audio mod has totally saved it.

Also if you haven't tried Skyrim Special Edition yet and you have an install of the original Skyrim still installed stay away from SSE. Oldrim is completely ruined for me now that SSE is out, no matter the mods.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

KakerMix posted:

I'm using ENB specifically to give me a frame limiter, I turned off any effects it can do by changing 'UseEffect=false' under enbseries.ini. If I do decide to go down that rabbit hole I can flip it back on and bleed my cones and rods right out of my head.

A potentially easier way is to use Nvidia Inspector (assuming you have an Nvidia card of course, I don't know if ATI has any alternatives). You can also use it to force vsync off without futzing with the .ini files. I use it for all Bethesda games.

Smol fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 1, 2016

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

KakerMix posted:

Sorry I missed this earlier but I checked the steps of Dragonsreach out and yeah I do not get any slowdown or change or anything I could detect. I do have a beefy computer too though so ???

The normal audio was so muffed and far away that this 3D audio mod has totally saved it.

Also if you haven't tried Skyrim Special Edition yet and you have an install of the original Skyrim still installed stay away from SSE. Oldrim is completely ruined for me now that SSE is out, no matter the mods.

I had to install Oldrim just because Mod Analyzer requires it be installed for it to work its mojo.

Also, SPERG still isn't on Mod Picker because Analyzer chokes on its fomod for some reason. I put up a bug report on its github, so mator might fix it when he gets around from like the fifty other things he has to manage.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm interested in Special Edition, but the lack of SkyUI and SPERG is really offputting. Ordinator looks pretty cool as a SPERG replacer, but what I liked about SPERG is that it made skill levels smoothly scale their effects. Does Ordinator or another SSE mod do something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

prometheusbound2 posted:

I'm interested in Special Edition, but the lack of SkyUI and SPERG is really offputting. Ordinator looks pretty cool as a SPERG replacer, but what I liked about SPERG is that it made skill levels smoothly scale their effects. Does Ordinator or another SSE mod do something similar?
There is a SkyUI version posted earlier this thread. There's just no MCM or Search in it.

Ordinator does a good job of skill effect scaling from what I've seen this month.