Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Surprise surprise, no one cares about wireless charging when a) your battery lasts a sufficient length of time b) charging is quick and c) you have a cable that's not a piece of poo poo and annoying to plug in

Yeah but this is USB-C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So wait is it now okay to buy a pixel so through Verizon? They were in stock for like a few hours last night at google store but i couldnt pull the trigger since i was working. Last time i posted i was told they might fix the boot loader exploit and that it might cause security issues. But I'm also stuck on what exactly I need an unlocked phone for. Backups arent a concern for me and that's where my understanding of the benefits stops.

Edit: If I just use depixel8 can i flash the Google rom and use that? If i never ever use Google pay do I need to relock the phone?

Moochewmoo fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 30, 2016

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Why do I have two gigantic (4+ gig) thumbnail files in my DCIM folder? (Nexus 5)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Toebone posted:

Why do I have two gigantic (4+ gig) thumbnail files in my DCIM folder? (Nexus 5)

How many photos are in that folder?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Die Sexmonster! posted:

How many photos are in that folder?

Four

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sounds like you've got a gig per photo

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

That's one hell of a thumbnail

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Does the file come back when you delete it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sounds like the size of one of my dick pics :smug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sounds like the size of one of my dick pics :smug:

Macro images take a lot of space, yeah

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Just got my Pixel set up, and holy poo poo is this thing fast, especially coming from a 2014 Moto X.

Do they make USB C extension cables or just plain longer ones? I've enjoyed having my charging cords be ~10 feet, so the one that came with the phone feels pretty dinky.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

hooah posted:

Just got my Pixel set up, and holy poo poo is this thing fast, especially coming from a 2014 Moto X.

Do they make USB C extension cables or just plain longer ones? I've enjoyed having my charging cords be ~10 feet, so the one that came with the phone feels pretty dinky.

There was a guy from Google reviewing cables last year for not meeting full spec. Amazon cracked down on bootleg cables a lot. Still check the reviews. Some cables won't do rapid charging apparently.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What's the best combination of powerful CPU/good battery life, unlocked, in a relatively small+cheap unlocked form-factor?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

You might want to clarify your priorities there because that's a lot of needs and you won't get all of them in a single phone. Would you rather a faster, more expensive phone or a cheaper phone with worse battery life?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

sleepwalkers posted:

Yeah, I used to really be a big sucker for wireless charging, but I charge my phone so infrequently nowadays it's really not a big deal. I don't need wireless charging for something I plug in before I go to sleep.

I bought my mother a wireless charging stand for her 2013 N7 because she was evidently in the habit of running her battery down to nothing and the thought of plugging it in to recharge always seemed to ~slip her mind~ to the point where she'd let the battery cycle so low that it wouldn't even have the juice necessary to finish the boot process. Putting it on the stand "clicked" more for her since it was like "hanging up a phone." So there's your market for wireless charging - people who can't be bothered to plug in a cable, but are more comfortable "hanging things up."

It'll also never be as fast as QC 2.0-4.0 or USB-PD.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Paul MaudDib posted:

What's the best combination of powerful CPU/good battery life, unlocked, in a relatively small+cheap unlocked form-factor?

What's your definition of cheap and small?

Because the iPhone SE is arguably the best choice for a sub 5", $400-and-under phone.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 30, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

What's your definition of cheap and small?

Because the iPhone SE is arguably the best choice for a sub 5", $400-and-under phone.

This is good advice, if iOS works for you.

I've been using Android since before Cupcake, but it gets more and more tempting to make the switch... Forgive me, thread :negative:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm just saying that, unless you consider 5" small, there's basically no option anymore for a top class SoC and not-garbage camera, and Apple consistently has better battery life for a given mAh rating than anyone else.

At 5", you have more options.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

My Nexus 6 has been running like poo poo for some time. Do any of the cleaner apps work or do I need to get down and dirty to fix it

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

tote up a bags posted:

My Nexus 6 has been running like poo poo for some time. Do any of the cleaner apps work or do I need to get down and dirty to fix it

Down and dirty, if by that you mean give it a backup and factory reset.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This is good advice, if iOS works for you.

I've been using Android since before Cupcake, but it gets more and more tempting to make the switch... Forgive me, thread :negative:

Allegiance to mobile operating systems unnecessary, IMO. I've been back and forth myself. Only thing that puts me off from iOS is those times I get told "oh yeah your Pebble / some other thing can't do these functions on iOS due to restrictions, they're Android only" (well, that and 2007 called and wants its lovely icon dump interface back). Price wise they're becoming more and more car-like: you buy a new top of the range one if you have more money than sense, otherwise you get a year old model second hand, or maybe a lower cost model like the SE. They seem to me to be useful for longer and hold value a little better too, so really in the long term the cost difference doesn't come into it.

Heck, I very nearly went for an SE myself as the price is about the same as the Oneplus 3T I just bought, though to be fair you do get a lot more phone for your money with the 3T. I'm just getting very tired of "bug here" and "bug there" and "you need to know that this SoC has these quirks that make it go slow after 2 minutes of gaming" (good riddance 810 and 808) and "no you can't have wifi calling if you don't buy the phone from us on a contract with our crapware customised ROM". There's a lot to be said for things Just Working.
This may be Android's last chance with me, unless the 3T turns out a nightmare for purely Obscure Chinese Phone Reasons and the Pixel 2 / 3 sees more sensible pricing.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 30, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Google Pixel, except for the cheap part. Maybe look for a used one after Christmas.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but on Nougat, is there a way to get to e.g. the list if WiFi or Bluetooth connections like there was in Lollipop without diving all the way into the settings? I used that quick notification functionality a fair amount.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I bought my mother a wireless charging stand for her 2013 N7 because she was evidently in the habit of running her battery down to nothing and the thought of plugging it in to recharge always seemed to ~slip her mind~ to the point where she'd let the battery cycle so low that it wouldn't even have the juice necessary to finish the boot process. Putting it on the stand "clicked" more for her since it was like "hanging up a phone." So there's your market for wireless charging - people who can't be bothered to plug in a cable, but are more comfortable "hanging things up."

It'll also never be as fast as QC 2.0-4.0 or USB-PD.

What ever happened to those phone docks? With the plug and everything. Do they still make them? I remember they were pretty popular for a bit a few years ago.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

hooah posted:

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but on Nougat, is there a way to get to e.g. the list if WiFi or Bluetooth connections like there was in Lollipop without diving all the way into the settings? I used that quick notification functionality a fair amount.

tapping the quick setting tile should do it

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Folks, I have an iPhone 5s. It is not good. What's the best android phone on AT&T? My parameters for a good phone include a big screen and that's about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pixel XL

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Folks, I have an iPhone 5s. It is not good. What's the best android phone on AT&T? My parameters for a good phone include a big screen and that's about it.

Why do you want an android phone?

This is the android phone you should get, but the question still stands

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

nimper posted:

Why do you want an android phone?

Customization basically. I've had every iPhone since the 3G and I'm burnt out on iOS. Plus here's the thing I hear android is actually good.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Blue Train posted:

tapping the quick setting tile should do it

:doh: should've tried that. For some reason I was thrown by the lack of triangle/arrow.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Customization basically. I've had every iPhone since the 3G and I'm burnt out on iOS.
OK, sure.

quote:

Plus here's the thing I hear android is actually good.
As someone who's used Android since version 2.2 (Froyo), I think Android 7 Nougat is the first actually good release, especially on a Pixel with the additional features like Assistant and fingerprint sensor gestures. So you're switching at the best time, really. It's been a long haul getting to this point, though.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

nimper posted:

OK, sure.

As someone who's used Android since version 2.2 (Froyo), I think Android 7 Nougat is the first actually good release, especially on a Pixel with the additional features like Assistant and fingerprint sensor gestures. So you're switching at the best time, really. It's been a long haul getting to this point, though.

Yeah, this is the first version where I haven't had to resort to an app for some basic, simple think, or to fix an annoyance with the UI. If I had less in the way of technical skills I suspect I'd have switched to iPhone long ago.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Customization basically. I've had every iPhone since the 3G and I'm burnt out on iOS. Plus here's the thing I hear android is actually good.

I just recently moved over from an iPhone 5 to a Pixel, and I haven’t regretted it for even a fraction of a second. I tried out android three or four years ago and wasn’t a big fan, but the Pixel has been wonderful. I will say though, if you’re coming form a 5S then even just the standard Pixel is a decent amount larger. If you want a much bigger phone then definitely get Pixel XL, but I’d recommend playing around with one in Best Buy or something first to get a feel for what size you want.

Best Buy will tell you that Pixel is Verizon only, but you can slap in an ATT sim card and it’ll work perfectly (this is what I did)

nimper posted:

Definitely this. I tried Android three or four years ago, and it was loving miserable. It was buggy, nothing really worked well, I'd need to download 2-3 apps to just do what one apple app would. Now everything works just as well as Apple apps do, just with way more available options and customization. And also the google botnet to tell me where I parked or how long it'll take me to get home or how traffic is without me even asking is super nice.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 30, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Another quick question: is there a way to get to Google Now if you don't use the Pixel launcher or Google launcher?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hooah posted:

Another quick question: is there a way to get to Google Now if you don't use the Pixel launcher or Google launcher?

You can use the widget, or you can use the G app.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

hooah posted:

I use the Google launcher, but last time this came up I remember people saying other launchers might let you access it via a shortcut swipe or something along those lines. Also if you're rooted, I believe Nova will let you mimic the Google launcher's "swipe right from the leftmost screen to access Google Now".

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
On my PXL with Nova I use hold the home button for assistant and double tap it for google now. Works fine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ilkhan posted:

On my PXL with Nova I use hold the home button for assistant and double tap it for google now. Works fine.

This works from any app? That's my concern is that I've lost the ability to get to Now from anywhere.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

hooah posted:

This works from any app? That's my concern is that I've lost the ability to get to Now from anywhere.

either holding down home or possibly swiping up from home should work on every screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Blue Train posted:

either holding down home or possibly swiping up from home should work on every screen

I guess I need some more detail on what exactly you're setting in Nova. I set the home button to be Google Now, but that only works if I'm on a home screen.